Game of Thrones (Season 8) - SPOILERS

storm84

Re: Game of Thrones (Season 8) - SPOILERS

Post by storm84 » 20 May 2019, 21:27

I thought The Wire-esque montage was a good way to end the show. And I was happy they put in the scene where Brienne the Beautiful had to write Jaime's time in the Kingsguard - that felt the best possible homage to the books. I also didn't expect the knifing to happen so quickly - I would have felt given the show it would have been at a point of ultimatum (like Daenerys setting off to conquer the north). And the bit where Bran talked about justice with the imp having to spend his life fixing was a fantastic notion of justice to bring in.

Only thing I thought was silly was the lords seeking Tyrion's counsel while he was a prisoner on trial. That scene was pretty dumb, but there was some surprisingly decent dialogue.
0 x

Sathias

Post by Sathias » 20 May 2019, 21:32

I didn't get the feeling he was a prisoner on trial, I felt the lords asked to talk to Jon and Tyrion because they were surviving members of the great houses like they were, so wanted for the council to work out the way forward for Westeros. Greyworm allowed them to talk to Tyrion but not Jon.
0 x
"Put the damn gun down, boy. It aint no toy." - Lite

storm84

Post by storm84 » 20 May 2019, 21:38

I know haters gonna hate, but I liked this season much more than seasons 5, 6 or 7. Dialogue was better, action was more epic, and it sought to tell the story in more than just plot points. I think, too, it put into perspective just how difficult it is for GRRM to make all the plot points fit together well. Hopefully the books come out and fill in the details that the show skipped over, but I'm not disappointed overall. I certainly don't get the petition to remake the series, and I don't get what people think went so horribly wrong. Rushed, sure, but it's been rushed ever since they got ahead of the books. Silly at times, but that was also true when they had the books as their guide.

Suppose the only way we'll ever know what could have been is if GRRM finishes the books then gets to remake the show himself.
0 x

Sathias

Post by Sathias » 21 May 2019, 07:01

storm84 wrote:
20 May 2019, 21:38
Suppose the only way we'll ever know what could have been is if GRRM finishes the books then gets to remake the show himself.
This gave me a mental picture of the show as it is but with GRRM playing all the characters :lol: I mean that might work for some shows, but with the Stark kids growing up during the show, any longer break than they had would look ridiculous :)
0 x

Otto-matic Reiffel

Post by Otto-matic Reiffel » 21 May 2019, 10:39

It was OK at best. I think people are disappointed mostly because the other seasons were great, so the let down from falling from that lofty perch has people angry.

Other seasons were getting rated at around 9 or higher. This season started at 8 and just kept dropping, especially after Winterfell. Last episode currently at 4.5. To put that into context against another popular show, the finale of Breaking Bad got a 9.9.
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 21 May 2019, 15:14

I rather enjoyed this last episode. It seems all of their efforts into writing went into this one. I'm OK with the ending and where everyone ended up. I do wish they had not rushed Dany's arc this season. Probably the main gripe I have... and how the hell did she get reinforcements for her Unsullied and Dothraki forces like that? It's like she got her whole army back just for the final two episodes to make sense.

So to cap off my views on Season 8...

- episode 1: setting the scene
- episdoe 2: good 'calm before the storm episode'
- episode 3: apart from poor strategy, enjoyable
- episode 4: quite meh
- episode 5: rushed Dany's arc and it was a yawn for me
- episode 6: enjoyed how they ended it
kharis wrote:
20 May 2019, 15:23
And now our watch has ended....
Couldn't have put it better myself.

Biggest lesson from this show... incest leads to death.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:
02 Dec 2018, 21:33
It'll look amazing shoved up his ass if he doesn't actually learn to play the fucking thing.

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 21 May 2019, 15:44

Interesting to see the view of Season 8 from someone who binged S1-7 just before S8 came out...

0 x
CherryRed wrote:
It'll look amazing shoved up his ass if he doesn't actually learn to play the fucking thing.

Nekosan

Post by Nekosan » 21 May 2019, 19:31

Sathias wrote:
20 May 2019, 21:05
I thought the last ep was fine... not amazing, but not awful. There have certainly been worse last episodes of big shows. A tricky proposition to get right I guess.
I was happy with the last episode. It would have been a nice (mostly) ending had they had 6 episodes before it that didnt piss away all the storylines.
0 x
steamcommunity.com/id/krautpants

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 27 May 2019, 01:18

Sansa did a Brexit... lol! Also need to get me a Soul Crushing Stare shirt.

0 x
CherryRed wrote:

Sathias

Post by Sathias » 27 May 2019, 09:15

Winterfexit?
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 27 May 2019, 18:42

Lol. Good one!

This actually works...

0 x
CherryRed wrote:

Sathias

Post by Sathias » 28 May 2019, 11:14

0 x