Rogue One (first Star Wars standalone)

Disruptor4

Re: Rogue One (first Star Wars standalone)

Post by Disruptor4 » 11 Nov 2016, 13:19

GAH SO MUCH HYPEEEEEEEE

0 x

kablekill

Post by kablekill » 11 Nov 2016, 17:38

I must have missed the Star Wars bandwagon when I was a kid. I guess I get I get super hyped for any new Marvel Movie comes out.

This movie looks great and I will definitely see this, I just don't see what most see.
0 x

Darius359au

Post by Darius359au » 11 Nov 2016, 17:39

"WoooWoooo" all aboard the hype train ,cannot wait for this :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :banana-dance: :banana-dance:
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 25 Nov 2016, 19:08

Not sure there's an official release of this trailer yet but it sure knows how to hype us up!

0 x
CherryRed wrote:
02 Dec 2018, 21:33
It'll look amazing shoved up his ass if he doesn't actually learn to play the fucking thing.

Darius359au

Post by Darius359au » 26 Nov 2016, 11:31

Bit over 3 weeks ,can't wait :thumbup:
0 x

Ralph Wiggum

Post by Ralph Wiggum » 26 Nov 2016, 11:40

Tickets go on sale at Hoyts and Event cinemas 8am EST Monday.

Decided to skip the midnight screening this time and find a Thursday or Friday night session instead.
0 x
RIP Games.On.Net.

Yurtles

Post by Yurtles » 27 Nov 2016, 22:12

So far I've avoided everything for this movie but the very first teaser and whatever I could hear when I covered my eyes for the trailer in the cinema the other day - which even then still gave away more than I wanted to know.
I'm pretty keen to see this going in as blind as I could make myself, I feel like the last new Star Wars gave away way too much with its trailers.
0 x
BorisBC wrote:Pro tip - if you have to spew in a car, spew down the (inside) front of your shirt. Trust me, it's a lot easier to clean spew off yourself than the interior of a car.

Makena

Post by Makena » 28 Nov 2016, 09:03

Tickets are on sale now, I'm just going to go on the Saturday afternoon though, like a filthy commoner
0 x

Ralph Wiggum

Post by Ralph Wiggum » 28 Nov 2016, 09:49

Yurtles wrote:So far I've avoided everything for this movie but the very first teaser and whatever I could hear when I covered my eyes for the trailer in the cinema the other day - which even then still gave away more than I wanted to know.
I'm pretty keen to see this going in as blind as I could make myself, I feel like the last new Star Wars gave away way too much with its trailers.
+1. Only saw the teaser trailer, not even the cinematic trailer.

Tix booked for Thurs night IMAX 3D...my body is ready.
0 x
RIP Games.On.Net.

Yurtles

Post by Yurtles » 02 Dec 2016, 15:08

Looked into buying some tickets for this the weekend it opens - 3D only at my local Event cinemas. Excluding 3 showings on the Thursday it opens, it's 3D only for the whole first week at least; their schedule doesn't show any further ahead than that just yet so I don't know when normal screenings are starting up. I even asked someone at the cinema to double check just in case I was jumping to conclusions.

I guess I'm going to be waiting a while before I see it.
0 x
BorisBC wrote:Pro tip - if you have to spew in a car, spew down the (inside) front of your shirt. Trust me, it's a lot easier to clean spew off yourself than the interior of a car.

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 10 Dec 2016, 18:21

Yurtles wrote:I guess I'm going to be waiting a while before I see it.
Yeah, I haven't gotten my tickets yet either. Think I'll wait for the hype to die down a little before seeing this... don't like packed cinemas anyway.

Anyway, here's small taste of the music we will be delighted to.

0 x
CherryRed wrote:
It'll look amazing shoved up his ass if he doesn't actually learn to play the fucking thing.

Makena

Post by Makena » 18 Dec 2016, 10:12

Well I fucking loved this. Do recommend!
Loved all the throw backs and mentions of characters from other movies/tv shows, tying various things together (largely) without beating you over the head with them.

I loved linking it directly to Episode 4, and it was just enough of Darth Vader being a total fucking bad arse to show why people would have been so fearful of him. Overall I think the movie did well to show how desperate the rebellion was at the time of the original trilogy, and showing how brutal actually taking a defended planet would be in the Star Wars universe.

CGI Tarkin was very well done, honestly if I didn't know that original actor was dead I'm not sure I'd have even given it any thought, Leia wasn't as good at the end, but still awesome.

Also the Hammerhead Corvette, SO GOOD. And I guess we know why there was no Blue Squadron in Episode 4 :lol:, and we see Red 5 get ruined which obviously opens up the spot for Luke.
0 x

Anon. E. Moose

Post by Anon. E. Moose » 18 Dec 2016, 20:05

Holy crap, that was amazing.
Must watch/10, even if you enjoy Star Wars only slightly.

Now, just do another movie like this set during the Clone Wars about Delta Squad, or another elite commando squad and I can die very, very happily.
0 x

bender

Post by bender » 18 Dec 2016, 22:10

Makena wrote:Well I fucking loved this. Do recommend!
Loved all the throw backs and mentions of characters from other movies/tv shows, tying various things together (largely) without beating you over the head with them.

I loved linking it directly to Episode 4, and it was just enough of Darth Vader being a total fucking bad arse to show why people would have been so fearful of him. Overall I think the movie did well to show how desperate the rebellion was at the time of the original trilogy, and showing how brutal actually taking a defended planet would be in the Star Wars universe.

CGI Tarkin was very well done, honestly if I didn't know that original actor was dead I'm not sure I'd have even given it any thought, Leia wasn't as good at the end, but still awesome.

Also the Hammerhead Corvette, SO GOOD. And I guess we know why there was no Blue Squadron in Episode 4 :lol:, and we see Red 5 get ruined which obviously opens up the spot for Luke.
I think it was just as good as ep 7. I look forward to seeing it again.
+1

I could tell immediately that Tarkin was CGI (though I also knew the actor was dead), it still looked good though - it was almost out of uncanny valley. I actually thought that Leia looked way more real than Tarkin (at first i was really confused as to how they did it). I was thinking that because carrie fisher is still alive they could probably do facial scans to get her bone structure and facial movements (removing age effects), modifying them based on original footage. With Tarkin they wouldn't of had any raw data to use so they had to make it from scratch.

When I saw there was a blue squadron, I just knew they were all going to die, and that things were going to go real bad. It was cool to see the leaders for gold and red squadron too. I think they must have reconstructed old unused footage to get them in, though the original actors are credited in the movie [red, gold].

I started to watch ep 4 when i got home. They tied so many things in really well. Like the uniform colour of director krennic. I didn't think it was a standard imperial uniform, but in a new hope, on the death star, when tarkin and all the others are around the table, there are guys there wearing that same style white uniform (minus the cape).

I did feel the movie was a little slow at the start though (maybe because I more or less knew what was coming). I think the characters were a little bit weak and weren't all that interesting. I found it amusing the reprogrammed droid had more character than the others. Though these days, I guess its hard to make original characters that don't follow some trope thats been done to death.
0 x
Asus P8P67|2600K @4.5GHz-EK WC|16GB DDR3|Crucial MX100 512GB|HD6970 2GB-Aquacomputer WC|MCP35X|Obsidian 800D|X-fi Titanium|AD900

Ralph Wiggum

Post by Ralph Wiggum » 19 Dec 2016, 02:02

Tarkin in Rogue One is definitely the best I've seen in terms of creating a CGI human being; though I believe they still used an actor with similar facial structure to do motion capture, so it wasn't building from scratch per se.

But I still feel it couldn't make it out of the uncanny valley, as there was some inexplicable movement twitches and a not-quite-there texture issues which didn't quite work out. But like I said, the best effort I've seen so far.

It was a wet dream in terms of fan service, such as showing Gold / Red leader, Red 5 being killed, the two aliens Luke encounters in Mos Eisley Cantina, the same actors from Episode 3 who played Bail Organa and Mon Mothma, the little nod to Obi-Wan, the list goes on.

I am 110% glad I did not watch any teasers or trailers. The scenes completely blew me away and I felt like this was the epic Star Wars movie I've been waiting for, with the original Star Destroyers, X-wings, Stormtroopers etc. going full at it like the Lucasarts games.

Sure I could nitpick at the limited character development and not-quite-John Williams-music, but Disney has taken a risk and its paid off. Take that naysayers!
0 x
RIP Games.On.Net.

bender

Post by bender » 19 Dec 2016, 14:21

Ah, that makes sense. I guess the actor probably would have tried to imitate the facial expressions of Tarkin to help the process. I did find the skin texture to be a tiny bit off. Like it had this funny translucency to it. The light wasn't natural compared to the real actors next to him.

I didn't watch any trailers either (I only watched the first teaser), I'm also glad I didn't. My friend watched them all and said they must have cut some scenes as there were shots in the trailer that weren't in the movie. It made it look like Jyn survived. He was also able to figure out a lot during the movie based on the trailers.

It's not going to be a masterpiece, but it was a good enjoyable movie to watch.
0 x
Asus P8P67|2600K @4.5GHz-EK WC|16GB DDR3|Crucial MX100 512GB|HD6970 2GB-Aquacomputer WC|MCP35X|Obsidian 800D|X-fi Titanium|AD900

Ralph Wiggum

Post by Ralph Wiggum » 19 Dec 2016, 16:47

Yeah, I made the mistake of watching all the trailers for Episode 2 which spoilt the movie for me. Lesson learned.
0 x
RIP Games.On.Net.

Makena

Post by Makena » 19 Dec 2016, 16:51

Not really a spoiler below, just a comment about trailers that some might not want to know before seeing the movie!
I have no regrets over watching trailers for this, though going back and watching the first trailer now, it's for a totally different movie :lol:
0 x

Yurtles

Post by Yurtles » 19 Dec 2016, 17:10

Saw it today, loved the movie, best one I've seen this year if not longer. Also went back and watched the trailers for the (almost, I'd actually forgotten I'd seen the first one once) first time just now. Suuuuper glad I avoided them. For me, it made it a much better experience. Going to try and keep doing it.
0 x

Yurtles

Post by Yurtles » 19 Dec 2016, 21:11

Also I forgot to say;
Didn't realise Peter Cushing was CGI until afterward, if I didn't know anything about Carrie Fisher I probably wouldn't have noticed that one either.
The only thing that sort of disappointed me was the final space battle - the Star Destroyers smashing down through the shield gate didn't then fall straight down onto the surface and the facility causing some extra epic carnage..... Also the Tie Fighters coming out of the shield gate facility - did they have to wait for everyone to be ready before they left or something? I can just imagine them all waiting on Gary to get his shit together so they can get into the fight, lol. Did the Rebel capital ships have any guns? I'm not sure I noticed them doing anything but take hits.
But really. All things considered, it's pretty minor stuff in the face of what got delivered.
0 x

kharis

Post by kharis » 23 Dec 2016, 00:28

Loved it, must sleep now
0 x

phylum

Post by phylum » 24 Dec 2016, 20:19

I saw it, I liked it. On reflection it made me remember how much character Rey and Finn had in Ep7. Everyone in Rogue One was pretty bland.

I hated the opening, disliked the first hour, but then holy shit did it redeem itself once they actually got to the Imperial Archive. Action was good, space battles were fucking AMAZINGly put together.

The fanservice made me vomit. They should have cut the last few minutes. We get it, it's right before A New Hope. The people who appreciate this have already seen A New Hope. I don't need to see Vader swinging his lightsaber in this story. I didn't need to see Vader at all. His fucking lava fortress man, holy shit my friend and I laughed so much at that afterwards.

So yeah I can't really recommend it as being a good movie but it was a lot of fun if you're a starwars fan?

Also best description of CGI-Tarkin I've heard is that he "fell down the uncanny valley".
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 27 Dec 2016, 21:41

Finally got around to seeing it this arvo. Loved it... better than Force Awakens and the prequels by far.

Despite mostly underdeveloped characters, I do think it was the mission that was more important in this film. It's satisfying in that it does explain why the Death Star has such a big flaw in it's design. Definitely adds value to the original trilogy.

CGI Tarkin was OK... I thought Leia was done better but I agree with the uncanny valley comments for both. I think they did a better job with Paul Walker in Furious 7.

Wonderful performance by Alan Tudyk and Donnie Yen's line when they put the bag over his head was hilarious.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 28 Dec 2016, 12:56

I was reading that they had some female fighter pilots that were cut from Return of the Jedi which they reused in Rogue One along with the likes of Red and Gold leader. That was a nice inclusion.

Though, they needed to have Porkins. Just saying.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:

Disco

Post by Disco » 31 Dec 2016, 15:06

Well, I enjoyed the shit out of this, Mrs Disco not so much :lol:
0 x
Nekosan wrote:
29 Mar 2018, 00:36
Disco is fkn banned from the flamethrower. :lol: