Fleeting/Random/Thoughts

Otto-matic Reiffel

Re: Fleeting/Random/Thoughts

Post by Otto-matic Reiffel » 15 Dec 2016, 16:08

If you like something enough you'll book leave in advance (most of the time).

There's still plenty of people on this forum who must have the newest game immediately that it's available then take multiple days off to play it.
0 x

Disco

Post by Disco » 15 Dec 2016, 16:22

The Federal Court handed down the verdict — the first of its kind — which goes a long way to clarifying the fate of illegal torrent and streaming websites such as The Pirate Bay and SolarMovie in Australia.
The court ruled that internet service providers must “take reasonable steps to disable access” to such sites.
So does anyone know if this is actually going to do anything, or will everyone just find a workaround and continue to pirate anyway?
0 x
Nekosan wrote:
29 Mar 2018, 00:36
Disco is fkn banned from the flamethrower. :lol:

kharis

Post by kharis » 15 Dec 2016, 16:31

This will stop only the laziest of leechers. Vpns are the norm anyway so will make no difference to most people
0 x

Mini

Post by Mini » 15 Dec 2016, 16:37

While the two rights holders got what they wanted in a block, the Federal Court has not ordered what is known as a "rolling injunction". That would have allowed new websites to be added without court approval or oversight. Instead, Foxtel or Village Roadshow will have to file and serve a new affidavit outlining the new website's domain name or IP address
Nothing will really change, just means that the court system will get clogged up as pirate bay moves to a new domain, or a new name.
They got what it is now blocked, not what it is in a weeks time, and we all know how good Pirate Bay is at moving location
0 x
Proudly supporting Player Attack through Patreon

Battle.Net - MiniSanders#1895
uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord

Disco

Post by Disco » 15 Dec 2016, 16:47

Mini wrote:
While the two rights holders got what they wanted in a block, the Federal Court has not ordered what is known as a "rolling injunction". That would have allowed new websites to be added without court approval or oversight. Instead, Foxtel or Village Roadshow will have to file and serve a new affidavit outlining the new website's domain name or IP address
Nothing will really change, just means that the court system will get clogged up as pirate bay moves to a new domain, or a new name.
They got what it is now blocked, not what it is in a weeks time, and we all know how good Pirate Bay is at moving location
Yeah but would they do it just for us?
0 x
Nekosan wrote:

Otto-matic Reiffel

Post by Otto-matic Reiffel » 15 Dec 2016, 17:16

They probably won't bother for Aus.

Likely block will be DNS poisoning, which effectively means that when your PC looks up the IP address for the Pirate Bay or whatever from your ISP, they'll send you a fake response back. You don't have to use your ISP's DNS servers and a VPN will bypass the whole system.

Did the decision mention who's paying for all this? Presumably ISPs (therefore customers) since the movie distributors are buddy, buddy with the government.
0 x

Disco

Post by Disco » 15 Dec 2016, 17:59

Otto-matic Reiffel wrote:They probably won't bother for Aus.

Likely block will be DNS poisoning, which effectively means that when your PC looks up the IP address for the Pirate Bay or whatever from your ISP, they'll send you a fake response back. You don't have to use your ISP's DNS servers and a VPN will bypass the whole system.

Did the decision mention who's paying for all this? Presumably ISPs (therefore customers) since the movie distributors are buddy, buddy with the government.
I think the article said that it would be the people who wanted a website blocked would need to pay
0 x
Nekosan wrote:

Otto-matic Reiffel

Post by Otto-matic Reiffel » 15 Dec 2016, 18:30

Yeah looked it up. $50 per domain name per isp (presumably only those named). So 55 domains with 33 respondents means $90,750 to make a big bunch of sites disappear for anyone who doesn't know what they're doing (ie probably at least 80% of the country).

Pretty cheap really.
0 x

NotThatDoug

Post by NotThatDoug » 15 Dec 2016, 19:10

The Sizzler we were at last night was built onto the side of a cinema, there were already people hanging around for the midnight screening at 7pm when we were leaving quiet a lot in costume. A mate of mine went to it with a group all dressed up as x wing pilots, jedis and Storm troopers. While I think the cosplay stuff is awesome it would be a pain in the ass to sit through a movie in that shit, or have to strip down in the line and lug it around with you.

If we were staying with family and could leave bub with them I would have considered going to the midnight, but the midday screening was pretty empty, we still managed to get some people sitting next to us, I picked out seats to be close to some other seats hoping nobody would pick the seats in the gap with how empty the place was, but a couple still did, they showed up 10mins late and forgot to turn their phones off until they rang.
0 x
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197970978425]Image[/url]

Ralph Wiggum

Post by Ralph Wiggum » 15 Dec 2016, 20:49

Innaloo right? I quite like going there even though I live south of the river, it has decent food options and the vmax chairs are comfy.

Waiting in Carousel right now for the 6:30pm IMAX session. Carousel is a bit dodgy, but has the only IMAX screen in Perth.
0 x
RIP Games.On.Net.

NotThatDoug

Post by NotThatDoug » 15 Dec 2016, 23:34

Yeah I don't mind Innaloo, we only went there for sizzler this time, reading cinemas in Belmont is nice and their Gold Class is half the price, I went to Carousel today at lunch, the imax chairs are damn comfy,
0 x

Disco

Post by Disco » 16 Dec 2016, 08:32

Last Friday at work for the year :D
0 x
Nekosan wrote:

Brad

Post by Brad » 16 Dec 2016, 09:33

There are so many proxy sites for the pirate bay that a quick google will pretty quickly have you around it. Hell I could set 5 up in the next 10min.
The Studios must know this, the government must know this is pointless. Do they honestly consult no one in the IT sector before passing such stupid precedent. <-- That is all this really is, precedent to take the next more invasive step.
0 x

Disco

Post by Disco » 16 Dec 2016, 12:24

It is absolutely pouring here today
0 x
Nekosan wrote:

Mythor

Post by Mythor » 16 Dec 2016, 13:02

Brad wrote:There are so many proxy sites for the pirate bay that a quick google will pretty quickly have you around it. Hell I could set 5 up in the next 10min.
The Studios must know this, the government must know this is pointless. Do they honestly consult no one in the IT sector before passing such stupid precedent. <-- That is all this really is, precedent to take the next more invasive step.
Part of it is simply putting an obstacle in the way of the less tech savvy, on the assumption that many won't bother getting around it and will instead simply wait for it to come on telly or pay the exorbitant price for access via Foxtel. It'll work, a bit, and those too lazy to adapt will drop off as well.
And yes, it sets the precedent and standard of proof needed so in the future they know exactly what they need to get a site blocked. I suspect once they start getting into the hundreds of sites blocked the courts will agree to streamline the process...

But then, Amazon Prime Video just launched in 200 countries worldwide and Netflix continues to be great value. There's properly good options available now if you want to pay a reasonable fee for access to heeeeeeeaps of things. If Foxtel would just get with the times we'd basically be set, but instead you could get Netflix AND Amazon for less than Foxtel Play. :(
0 x
"Me ate truck once." - Cookie Monster
Player Attack! - Diablo 3 Clan Details

Disco

Post by Disco » 16 Dec 2016, 13:34

We have Foxtel, I like it a lot - and I have free access to Netflix too (I canned my subscription, not enough content to make it worth having after they shafted people using VPN's). What shits me is that the content just keeps getting spread thinner and thinner over multiple streaming services and they add up pretty quick.
0 x
Nekosan wrote:

storm84

Post by storm84 » 16 Dec 2016, 17:17

Nothing about the anti-piracy battle is about being pragmatic. The lawsuit is intended to put the idea of preventing piracy in the public consciousness - much like those lawsuits for individual films. The lawsuit sounds way more ominous than its implementation will be.

Though I do worry about what will come when this proves ineffective. The last thing the Internet needs is content creators having the ability to censor...
0 x

NotThatDoug

Post by NotThatDoug » 16 Dec 2016, 19:29

TV RANT TIME

TV stations: tune into tonight for 3 shows about border security, 4 shows about police patrolling the streets and family fued simulcasts on all 3 of Channel 10s stations at once and big bang reruns on both a 7 and 9 station. (Seriously those last 2 things are true.)

Also TV stations: why are ratings down?

I remember last year during the big bash league channel 10 took every opportunity they had to promote the new xfiles Mini series how it was can't see and must watch and all that shit. Then they showed them a week delayed from the US.

Also the other day in Perth I put on 9go and they had Paw Patrol on which is my daughter's favorite so I've seen it a bunch, the episode sounded a bit weird, it turns out they speed up the episodes now to fit more ads in.

Foxtel has started to get the hint doing stuff like expressing more shows from the US, I don't download any of The Flash/Arrow universe shows because by the time I would get home and download them they are already in my iq box and I don't care about commerical breaks when I can fast forward them.
0 x

NotThatDoug

Post by NotThatDoug » 17 Dec 2016, 20:15

Work Xmas party tonight, daughter is at grandparents, bus has been hired to get everyone too and from the bar, company credit card is ready to be dropped behind the bar for a couple of hours.
0 x

Celticangel82

Post by Celticangel82 » 18 Dec 2016, 09:09

Pro tip, don't leave maternity shots until the last few weeks. Everything goes to pot and next thing you know you're stuck in hospital about to have a baby.
0 x

Nitephyre

Post by Nitephyre » 18 Dec 2016, 09:35

Children don't follow schedules, welcome to Hell :D
1 x
Mugsy wrote:
09 Oct 2018, 21:26
I got nothing for ya... I was raised to not do things I wouldn't want done to myself. And that's why anal sex is off the agenda.

Celticangel82

Post by Celticangel82 » 18 Dec 2016, 09:40

Nitephyre wrote:Children don't follow schedules, welcome to Hell :D
:lol: this is true. Although I didn't expect things to escalate so quickly with the pre eclampsia thing.
I was expecting Tuesday at least where I'm 37 weeks.. Getting induced this morning.. Wonder if I can break gdm diet and have pizza for lunch..
0 x

Nitephyre

Post by Nitephyre » 18 Dec 2016, 09:43

Yes, you can. Also, good luck and remember The Ladybits™ as they'll never be again ;)
0 x
Mugsy wrote:
I got nothing for ya... I was raised to not do things I wouldn't want done to myself. And that's why anal sex is off the agenda.

Celticangel82

Post by Celticangel82 » 18 Dec 2016, 09:44

Lol
0 x

CherryRed

Post by CherryRed » 18 Dec 2016, 10:00

Whenever my husband is really hungover, I always go and get him breakfast... well today I'm really hungover and I need him to stop sleeping and go get me some fooooooood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
0 x
Mugsy wrote:
I was raised to not do things I wouldn't want done to myself. And that's why anal sex is off the agenda.