The Cricket Thing.......

Yes, and eSports too!
DedZeppelin

The Cricket Thing.......

Post by DedZeppelin » 25 Mar 2018, 22:04

So. Turns out, our national cricket team has decided that rules, morals, and good sportsmanship are things they don't need to worry about. This is unacceptable. I'm past the point of disappointment over this, and I am just mad.

For those who aren't aware, the Australian cricket team are in South Africa at the moment taking part in a test series (best of 5 5 day test matches). Currently the teams are 1-1 and competing in the third test.

Last night, the Australian team cheated. They tampered with the surface of the ball, in an attempt to gain reverse swing by roughing up one side of the ball, while keeping the other side shined and smooth. This effects the way the ball moves through the air. THIS IS AGAINST THE RULES OF CRICKET.

The camera men around the field caught Cameron Bancroft using an "object" in his hand on the ball, which once noticed, he was clearly seen stuffing down his pants. When the umpires questioned him over it, he initially lied, and claimed he was using a cloth that he cleaned his sunglasses with. This was not the case.

The match umpire, after reviewing it, charged Bancroft with attempting to tamper with the ball. He and captain Steve Smith were interviewed after play ended, and admitted that not only had a professional Australian cricketer tampered with the ball, but that it was a premeditated act that senior players and "leadership" people had cooked up.

This is highly disturbing, and (pardon my language) shits on the legacy of Smith and yet unnamed senior players. I feel that Bancroft was the unwitting fool in this situation, but gets no real sympathy from me. It would appear that Senior players may have decided if a "new-ish guy" did it, they might avoid the fallout. NOT SO IDIOTS!

I needed to rant about this, thanks for your time.
0 x

Yurtles

Re: The Cricket Thing.......

Post by Yurtles » 25 Mar 2018, 23:06

I don't really know what to think. International cricketers do all sorts of shit they aren't really supposed to to gain an advantage, especially when it comes to the ball. Sure this one was a lot more extreme than most and made even worse by how blatant and well documented it is, but the act itself isn't an uncommon one.

I'm going to be interested to see where the authorities draw the line on this, because hell if I know what the appropriate action should be.
0 x
BorisBC wrote:Pro tip - if you have to spew in a car, spew down the (inside) front of your shirt. Trust me, it's a lot easier to clean spew off yourself than the interior of a car.

DedZeppelin

Post by DedZeppelin » 26 Mar 2018, 00:22

Yurtles wrote:
25 Mar 2018, 23:06
I don't really know what to think. International cricketers do all sorts of shit they aren't really supposed to to gain an advantage, especially when it comes to the ball. Sure this one was a lot more extreme than most and made even worse by how blatant and well documented it is, but the act itself isn't an uncommon one.

I'm going to be interested to see where the authorities draw the line on this, because hell if I know what the appropriate action should be.
My main gripe is that Australia always has projected mateship and sportsmanship, and they just shoved all that aside for one damn test match. We have dominated cricket for most of its existence on the main stage, and we do NOT need to do this crap. We can lose and hold our heads high, but instead, we now have a cloud over the team.
0 x

Nekosan

Post by Nekosan » 26 Mar 2018, 00:32

DedZeppelin wrote:
26 Mar 2018, 00:22
Yurtles wrote:
25 Mar 2018, 23:06

My main gripe is that Australia always has projected mateship and sportsmanship, and they just shoved all that aside for one damn test match.
We have dominated cricket for most of its existence on the main stage, and we do NOT need to do this crap. We can lose and hold our heads high, but instead, we now have a cloud over the team.

Nope, we're just cunning as fuck about when and where we cheat. It's naive to think that we're "the good guys".
0 x
steamcommunity.com/id/krautpants

Sathias

Post by Sathias » 26 Mar 2018, 07:06

What strikes me is how bad at and how naive about ball tampering they were. Other teams have been doing this shit for years, right back to Waqar and Wasim swinging the ball like its a tennis ball half covered with tape, to Trescothick in 2005, to Hansie stepping on the ball at the MCG (as well as everything else he did), to Faf being done multiple times... even Sachin got done for tampering once and it did nothing to his legacy. But none of them were dumb enough to think that if they fessed up and gave a complete mea culpa that people would just let it go.

Yeah it's bad, and they should be punished under the rules of the game, which is typically a loss of match fees (50-100% the last few times Faf got done) and/or suspension for a game or two. Smith should probably lose his captaincy as well, as well as Warner/Boof if they knew about it. But some of the shit that is going around at the moment is pretty hard to take, like Malcolm Turnbull pontificating about sportspeople being dodgy cheats (clean up your own patch mate) and Michael Vaughan blasting the Aussies when ball tampering likely was a factor in his 2005 Ashes win against Australia.
0 x
"Put the damn gun down, boy. It aint no toy." - Lite

brimlad

Post by brimlad » 26 Mar 2018, 09:03

the main difference to other incidents is the way it played out, hatching such a dodgy plan implicating a young player then the botched cover up, it will certainly be added to acme how not to get caught manual; it really was brutally painful to watch it unfold on live TV and I feel for the aussie fans that were at the ground, folks that pay good money to follow the cricket team around the planet it would have been crushing for them.

It's pretty obvious that boofhead new what was going on and Warner also involved; those 4 should be sent home asap and miss the last test; going forward boofhead needs to be replaced and the team culture reset, new captain and vice and smith warner and B given a suspension and some cricket community service duties.

and yes some of the commentary from around the traps is pretty rank but we have to take it as I'm sure if it were England or SA we'd dishing it out.

sad day for australian test cricket no other way to put it
0 x

Bicketybam

Post by Bicketybam » 26 Mar 2018, 12:53

Sathias wrote:
26 Mar 2018, 07:06
like Malcolm Turnbull pontificating about sportspeople being dodgy cheats (clean up your own patch mate)
Yeah he can shut his trap, it's bad, but at least they didn't get the ball pregnant... :dodgy:

The whole thing paints a bad picture for Australia. Sure they got caught and they came clean but all involved need to do the right thing by the sport and the country and fall on their sword. Who cares what other countries may or may not have done, we need to show the world that cheating is wrong and there is punishment for it. Otherwise what are they saying to the young players coming up?

I'm going to add, if this was a computer game and a player cheated, we'd ban them.
0 x

Mythor

Post by Mythor » 26 Mar 2018, 13:23

Now there's footage of Bancroft being dodgy back in January as well. Staggeringly ill-conceived and everyone involved in the planning should be barred for life from "leadership" positions. It should be made very clear that we don't want people like that involved in the game. Sadly, I expect they'll be allowed back in time.

The comment that got me the most was a Dad having to explain to a 9 year old that Australia decided to cheat. How do you convince kids to play fair if the top tier players are cheating?
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-03-25/c ... ng/9584600

Smith shouldn't have the opportunity to step down he should be sacked. And look at tearing up his current contract, if possible. Disgusted with the lot of them.
0 x
"Me ate truck once." - Cookie Monster
Player Attack! - Diablo 3 Clan Details

brimlad

Post by brimlad » 26 Mar 2018, 14:21

I looks to be getting worse Mythor, questions being asked of the reverse swing in the ashes series and why they needed to cheat in SA and perhaps they were cheating in the previous series. In SA it's always going to be more difficult to get away with it when you have 30 hostile cameras looking around the ground.

and yes I had to explain to my 11 year old why Australia decided to cheat and the previous week the difference between sledging and bullying, not much fun !

smith, warner and boofhead should be sacked... time to move on and start afresh !!
0 x

storm84

Post by storm84 » 26 Mar 2018, 20:41

This article really sums up well why it's such a big deal that the Aussies cheated despite ball tampering being part of the game with all nations at all levels of the game.
http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/ ... smith-team

It was really disappointing to wake up on Sunday to this news. I was gutted way beyond what could be expected of an avid fan. Think this exercise demonstrates that Smith was absolutely the wrong person to be made captain. Absolutely gutted.
0 x

storm84

Post by storm84 » 26 Mar 2018, 20:46

I should also add that it really sucks that this happened in the era of social media, because the outrage this event has brought is going way beyond proportion. Yes, Smith (and the leadership group) fucked up badly, but hopefully they'll be given a chance to move on and get on with cricket. Losing the captaincy, serving out the ban, and being watched with an eagle eye for the rest of his career seem punishment enough.
0 x

brimlad

Post by brimlad » 27 Mar 2018, 06:46

It's looking more like a one year ban for smith, warner and B and the sacking of boof; from reports this morning it seems warner was the instigator and probably why smith referred to the leadership group in the press C. I'm sure by now they realise the gravity of the situation, sponsors are not happy, public not happy and CA (in the middle of TV rights negotiations) are extremely unhappy and have been unhappy all tour to the point where I've had 2 emails in 2 days from James...
An update from James Sutherland

To our Australian Cricket Fans,

I would like to provide you with an update on the situation with the Australian Men’s Cricket Team and the investigation currently underway into what transpired at Cape Town.

Our Head of Integrity will arrive in South Africa shortly to continue his inquiries around the specifics of the ball tampering incident.

I am travelling to South Africa this evening, arriving on Tuesday morning local time, at which point I will meet with our Head of Integrity to understand the findings of the investigation to that point, and to consider the outcomes.

We are aiming to be in a position to fully update the Australian public on the investigation and outcomes on Wednesday morning AEDT.

We understand the strong interest everyone has in this situation and we are following due process to properly address all of the relevant issues involved.

We recognise how important the fans are to our game, and this process is the beginning of restoring your faith in Australian Cricket.

James Sutherland
Chief Executive Officer - Cricket Australia
and some humour...
0 x

Sathias

Post by Sathias » 27 Mar 2018, 07:31

0 x

storm84

Post by storm84 » 27 Mar 2018, 09:01

brimlad wrote:
27 Mar 2018, 06:46
and some humour...
Sathias wrote:
27 Mar 2018, 07:31
Hilarious!
0 x

kharis

Post by kharis » 27 Mar 2018, 22:40

0 x

brimlad

Post by brimlad » 28 Mar 2018, 08:34

^lol

looks like Warner is going to take the worst punishment and according to Jim Maxwell may never play for Australia again, seems he was the one calling it, Smith and Bancroft will probably get 12 months suspension but we'll have to wait another 24 hrs to find out exactly; for Bancroft it will be tough to get back in the side.

I still find it hard to believe that Lehmann wasn't involved but CA would be keen to see him out of the issue as that makes the cheating much deeper than just a few rogue players and could bring some dark light onto past performances. Lehmann might well resign quietly after the tour when the dust settles and CA decide on a new coach and direction... we'll see what happens.

Tim Paine is a good choice for captain, he's new to the team and signals a new direction in leadership, probably Mitch Marsh as V not sure who gets the ball shining duties lol
and Glen into the team go Glen :)

and another email from CA, that makes 3 in 3 days...

Dear Australian Cricket Fans,

I would like to provide you with a further update on the situation with the Australian Men’s Cricket Team. We appreciate the concern you have regarding this situation and we wanted to ensure that you received this news directly from us.

I have recently concluded a meeting with the Cricket Australia Board in which we discussed the findings to date of the investigation into the incident in Cape Town. The initial outcomes and actions are as follows:

Steve Smith, David Warner and Cameron Bancroft have been officially reported for breaching Cricket Australia’s Code of Conduct and will depart the squad immediately.
The preliminary findings have confirmed that prior knowledge of the incident in Cape Town was confined to only the three players reported.
Sanctions are expected to be announced within the next 24 hours.
Tim Paine has been endorsed as Captain of the Australian Men’s Test Team.
Matthew Renshaw, Glenn Maxwell and Joe Burns will fly to Johannesburg today to join the squad for the Fourth Test against South Africa.

In addition to sanctions for the individuals involved, Cricket Australia will initiate an independent review into the conduct and culture of our Australian men’s teams. The review will be an important step in rebuilding and restoring your pride in our Men’s teams.

Our teams have a responsibility as role models to ensure they uphold the values Australians expect, and to inspire us through the way they play.

Further, the health and welfare of our players and other staff is of the utmost priority. The Team Psychologist is with the team and providing support, while a number of players and staff have family and friends with them in South Africa.

The last few days have provided the strongest of indications of the passion Australians have for cricket and the Australian Men’s Team. Fans have provided a consistent voice regarding their expectations and we have been listening. We greatly value the feedback we receive from the Australian Cricket Family and will take the necessary steps to address your concerns.

James Sutherland
0 x

linxus

Post by linxus » 28 Mar 2018, 09:27

I've been getting James's mea culpas as well :P. I wonder how much grovelling he's had to do with Channel 9 vis-a-vis the TV rights?
0 x
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197975825451]Image[/url]

brimlad

Post by brimlad » 28 Mar 2018, 09:58

that would be interesting to hear those conversations...

meanwhile the gasoline is being poured liberally on the flaming carcass that is Australian test cricket

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-03-28/t ... 85658761=1

next instalment tomorrow at dawn
0 x

storm84

Post by storm84 » 28 Mar 2018, 10:28

I wonder what the ICC will do given how lenient they've been in the past for ball tampering. I'd imagine that it's Cricket Australia that will try to save face for the sponsorship $$$.
0 x

Mythor

Post by Mythor » 28 Mar 2018, 13:36

ICC punishments have already been handed down. Bancroft got 50 or 75% of his match fee and 3 demerit points, Smith suspended for one Test and 100% of his match fee. Pretty pitiful.
0 x
"Me ate truck once." - Cookie Monster
Player Attack! - Diablo 3 Clan Details

Yurtles

Post by Yurtles » 28 Mar 2018, 16:14

I'm sure the punishment is completely in line with the rules, but yeah, the ICC might need to review how they address ball tampering.

It'd be an interesting problem to look at solving. What sort of proof is required? And what sort of punishments might curb it? It's not like it has to be proper law type law, they could potentially give the umpires Judge Dredd style powers and if they suspect something fucky is going on they can just pull the trigger on it.
Maybe straight up replace the ball with something more mediocre and tell the bowling team hard luck, don't look like you're doing something sus next time.
0 x
BorisBC wrote:Pro tip - if you have to spew in a car, spew down the (inside) front of your shirt. Trust me, it's a lot easier to clean spew off yourself than the interior of a car.

storm84

Post by storm84 » 28 Mar 2018, 20:27

Banned for a year - seems harsh really. As far as I'm aware, no player caught doing this has ever gotten censured by their own cricket board.

Also feel for Bancroft. He was really let down by the leadership group.
0 x

Nekosan

Post by Nekosan » 29 Mar 2018, 00:38

storm84 wrote:
28 Mar 2018, 20:27
Banned for a year - seems harsh really. As far as I'm aware, no player caught doing this has ever gotten censured by their own cricket board.

Which is why they keep doing it.

Should be lifetime bans for shit like that.
0 x
steamcommunity.com/id/krautpants

brimlad

Post by brimlad » 29 Mar 2018, 07:52

and it was sandpaper not tape and apparently Warner instructed Bancroft how to best use the sandpaper which indicates that Warner has form with this antic.
I do feel for Bancroft he should never have been asked to do this and I dare say he's test career is over as is Warner's; Smith has demonstrated he's not a strong leader but still a great player so he'll probably get back to the test team in time.

I can't believe Darren Lehmann didn't know what was going on and he should resign, he's not the person to change the culture in the shed and I can't imagine the remaining players would have much confidence in him.
I'm not sure that the senior bowlers weren't aware of what was going on given they care so much for the condition of the ball and see it after every deliver... for me questions still remain unanswered and the issue won't go away for some time yet.

the test on Friday will be interesting on many levels

oh and email no. 4

Dear Australian Cricket Fans,

The Cricket Australia Board met this afternoon (Melbourne time) to consider the final report of the investigation into the incident in Cape Town, which was conducted by Cricket Australia’s Head of Integrity at my direction.

We understand the ongoing concern felt by you regarding this situation and I want to share the findings and sanctions with you directly.

Summary of Sanctions

The range of sanctions available to Cricket Australia under our Code of Conduct are extensive.

The Board has considered these and determined that the following sanctions will be offered to each player in accordance with the Code of Conduct process:

Steve
Smith

Suspension of 12 months from all international and domestic cricket

David
Warner
Suspension of 12 months from all international and domestic cricket

Cameron Bancroft
Suspension of 9 months from all international and domestic cricket

All three players will be permitted to play club cricket and will be encouraged to do so to maintain links with the cricket community.

All three players will be required to undertake 100 hours of voluntary service in community cricket. This will be a condition of future selection.

Leadership

Steve Smith and Cameron Bancroft will not be considered for team leadership positions until a minimum of 12 months after the conclusion of their suspension from international and domestic cricket. Any consideration of future leadership would be conditional on acceptance by fans and the public, form and authority among the playing group. David Warner will not be considered for team leadership positions in the future.

As our Chairman David Peever said tonight, the sanctions issued are significant penalties for professional players and the Board does not impose them lightly. I believe that they properly reflect a balance between the need to protect the integrity and reputation of the game and the need to maintain the possibility of redemption for the individuals involved, all of whom have learned difficult lessons through these events.

The key findings of the investigation, along with the sanctions summary (above) can be viewed here.

As custodians of our great game, we are confident that we have acted carefully and responsibly, taking into account the impact this incident has had on the Australian cricket community and the players.

As mentioned in my email to you this morning, Cricket Australia will also initiate an independent review into the conduct and culture of our Australian men’s teams as an important step in rebuilding and reestablishing your pride in Australian cricket. Further details will be announced shortly and we will keep you updated on the review as it progresses.

I would again like to take the opportunity to express our appreciation for the feedback we have received from the Australian public. We recognise the damage this incident has done to the integrity and reputation of Australian cricket and we are committed to doing all we can to restore your faith in the men’s team and the game.

James Sutherland
0 x

Sathias

Post by Sathias » 29 Mar 2018, 08:06

Nekosan wrote:
29 Mar 2018, 00:38
storm84 wrote:
28 Mar 2018, 20:27

Which is why they keep doing it.

Should be lifetime bans for shit like that.
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
0 x