The Cricket Thing.......

Yes, and eSports too!
Mythor

Re: The Cricket Thing.......

Post by Mythor » 29 Mar 2018, 13:00

Don't see how Boof can change the team culture now when he's been in charge for so long and it's continued to deteriorate. He might not have had a hand in the ball tampering but the sledging and send offs have been on his watch. It's going to be a long road back if they want to genuinely fix things and I'm not convinced they have the stomach for it.

Don't think anyone should have been banned from the game entirely for life, though as the apparent instigator Warner can't be allowed back as Captain or Vice. But it was important the penalty be hefty if this was going to be taken seriously. We've seen what happens with countries like Pakistan, where players aren't appropriately punished for ball tampering - some have been caught multiple times and their reputation in that regard is worse than mud. If it had been left as just the ICC slap on the wrist they would definitely have tried it on again.
0 x
"Me ate truck once." - Cookie Monster
Player Attack! - Diablo 3 Clan Details

brimlad

Post by brimlad » 30 Mar 2018, 09:15

good that the drama is over and the cricket begins again tonight.
was difficult to watch Steven Smith but he showed genuine remorse and contrition and his path to recovery and renewal has begun as has Bancroft, both deserve a second chance and I do see Smith back in the test side perhaps after the next ashes series in 2019.

good that Warner is waiting hopefully he'll say something after Easter and good that boof has decided to resign and while he might not have been directly involved in this incident he did feed the mongrel in Warner and that is what lead the team to slide into disgrace.

hopefully the cricket will be good and the crowds behaved, everyone has learnt something this week and good to see the captain of SA offering words of support to the aussies.

and no email today :(
0 x

ButterflyEffect

Post by ButterflyEffect » 30 Mar 2018, 12:26

0 x
Go on,try it. I promise you won't end up on Youtube.

storm84

Post by storm84 » 30 Mar 2018, 13:34

Hopefully now the public shaming is over, and we can move on. The outcry from the public demanding more contrition is obscene and utterly superfluous. The punishments have been handed down, apologies have been made. It's time to let it go.

The Australian public:
0 x

brimlad

Post by brimlad » 03 Apr 2018, 12:30

however, it ain't over... worth reading the afr article if you have a spare few minutes
0 x

Mythor

Post by Mythor » 03 Apr 2018, 14:00

Cricket's governance has some serious issues but none of that excuses flagrant cheating. It's like the people bringing Candice Warner into this - sledging a man over his partner might lead to arguments and a punch up, cheating though? Nope. That's on the players involved and them alone.
0 x

linxus

Post by linxus » 13 Apr 2018, 10:24

I'm surprised CA managed to extract $1B from Foxtel/C7 for the rights for the next 6 years. Bummer about the lack of BBL on Free to Air though (perhaps Foxtel might work something out later in the year?). As Ed Cowan put it:
0 x
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197975825451]Image[/url]

Mythor

Post by Mythor » 13 Apr 2018, 10:42

Betting some of the old guard will jump ship, at least for Foxtel. Good opportunity to make some big changes all round.

One BILLION dollars though. Geez.
0 x

storm84

Post by storm84 » 13 Apr 2018, 10:44

Oh FFS! The only reason I watch BBL was that I could flick it on while it was FTA in between doing other stuff. Pouring it begins a paywall doesn't do good for anyone but the diehards.
0 x

storm84

Post by storm84 » 13 Apr 2018, 11:50

"It is understood Seven will broadcast all Tests on home soil as well as the Big Bash.

Foxtel's Fox Sports will cover all games, taking exclusive rights to international one-day 50 overs matches and Twenty20 internationals, putting them behind a pay wall for the first time."
Looks like BBL is still FTA but international cricket that's not tests aren't. Sucks...
0 x

Dinofreak

Post by Dinofreak » 13 Apr 2018, 13:12

I think nine were prepared to lose the rights which is why they picked up the tennis early in the year. At that much money I really can't blame them.
0 x
"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."
-- W. C. Fields

Yurtles

Post by Yurtles » 13 Apr 2018, 13:41

Seems like short term gain at the expense of long term success. No sport gets more popular by hiding it behind a paywall.
0 x
BorisBC wrote:Pro tip - if you have to spew in a car, spew down the (inside) front of your shirt. Trust me, it's a lot easier to clean spew off yourself than the interior of a car.

duggie100

Post by duggie100 » 13 Apr 2018, 13:45

Seems not all of the BBL will be FTA, Foxtel will reportedly get exclusive rights to 16 games. My guess is they will be the derbies and the finals.

Wonder how long until it all disappears to pay TV? :x
0 x

brimlad

Post by brimlad » 13 Apr 2018, 16:44

bad move by CA, bbl did well on 10 behind a paywall it will wither as will the onedays; test cricket has been struggling and not sure how 7 will be able to lift that or deliver something worth watching.
hopefully the abc will still have radio rights to test cricket, if they don't I don't think I'll have much in interest; I'll still support my local cricket team as I have for 30 odd years but TV cricket looks dead for me on 7 and Fox
0 x