FIFA World Cup 2018

Yes, and eSports too!
storm84

Re: FIFA World Cup 2018

Post by storm84 » 21 Jun 2018, 11:46

Haven't got any sort of official notification of a refund from Optus yet.

None of the matches really interested me last night so I watched two mini matches (Portugal vs Morocco, Spain vs Iran) and the extended highlights of Uruguay vs Saudi Arabia. Of the three, only Portugal vs Morocco was interesting, because at least Morocco tried to make a game of it.

Tonight is much better quality. Think I'll skip the France vs Peru game and watch Argentina vs Serbia when I wake up. Plus the inevitable disappointment of a failed Socceroos campaign before bed.
0 x

brimlad

Post by brimlad » 21 Jun 2018, 18:47

Argentina vs Serbia will be a great game, Messi should be on fire and desperate for the win; Peru have nothing to lose so will be gunning at France;
I think we have a chance against Denmark, we'll need to be courageous though, nothing but a win will do, should be good to watch.

I d/l the optus sport app so will give it ago and see if I can watch the 4am match
0 x

Nekosan

Post by Nekosan » 21 Jun 2018, 19:58

Calling it 2-1 to the Danes with ours being something silly like a handball in the box.
0 x
steamcommunity.com/id/krautpants

storm84

Post by storm84 » 21 Jun 2018, 20:41

Reckon it'll be 1-1. I hope it'll be 2-1, though I think a win is too much to ask for.

I think you can use the SBS app to stream all the games they're showing. I'm gonna use their app to watch the Socceroos game tonight in bed.
0 x

JNehru

Post by JNehru » 22 Jun 2018, 03:54

storm84 wrote:
21 Jun 2018, 20:41
Reckon it'll be 1-1. I hope it'll be 2-1, though I think a win is too much to ask for.

I think you can use the SBS app to stream all the games they're showing. I'm gonna use their app to watch the Socceroos game tonight in bed.
Another nail-biting game is expected between Argentina and Croatia. I am betting Argentina will ace the match. 8)
If SBS does not work due to Geo restrictions you can always try Sony Liv website or app. But use a vpn and switch your IP to Pakistan before launching SONYLIV
0 x

storm84

Post by storm84 » 22 Jun 2018, 08:56

storm84 wrote:
21 Jun 2018, 20:41
:o 8-)

Also, lolwtf @ Argentina
0 x

brimlad

Post by brimlad » 22 Jun 2018, 14:25

no idea what is happening with Argentina, Croatia did score some good goals but 3-0 I think those guys will be taking the slow route home with fake beards and wigs.

We played good, really did have a crack at Denmark and we've been unlucky in both games. We need to score some goals against Peru and hope that France step up a gear and give Denmark a good hiding. No pressure on France so they might play well and Denmark will be looking for a draw as they were against us.
0 x

storm84

Post by storm84 » 22 Jun 2018, 14:41

I like that if we win 1-0 and France win 2-1, our position in the next round will be decided by the number of yellow and red cards, and if we pick up one more yellow card than Denmark, then it would be decided by drawing lots.

Beating Peru is a big IF, and France beating Denmark is a big IF. For both to happen would be a minor miracle. As Gandalf the Grey would say: "There never was much hope. Just a fool's hope, as I have been told."
0 x

brimlad

Post by brimlad » 22 Jun 2018, 16:22

enter Gandalf the white or Jed as they call him; Peru is a huge challenge but we have nothing but to attack, Peru is lost and we have everything to play for.
France are in but I don't think they would like to play Croatia so they will want to win and secure top spot and the Danes will be playing for a draw which is always a danger.
we have a chance we just need to focus on Peru and get the job done; if the Danes go crazy and the French go mad so be it but we do have a chance we just need to win :)
0 x

Nekosan

Post by Nekosan » 22 Jun 2018, 18:55

Never seen Arzani play before and i was super happy with his performance, good play every time he touched the ball. I'm not sure how he'd go from kickoff with fresh defenders though, he's half the size of most of them.
0 x

brimlad

Post by brimlad » 23 Jun 2018, 10:28

Arzani is a great talent and we'll need his energy against Peru.

just watch the replay of the Brasil match and what an amazing 2nd half, Basil worked so hard to get a goal it was like watching Welsh 1860's coal mining live. Brasil just dominated and tried every thing to get around a 5 line defence but the Costa Ricans just defended to the death and then were crushed in extra time by a great goal.

And Nigeria have opened up group D with a win and gives Argentina a slim hope; and the Swiss stun Serbia and both goal scorers refugees from Kosovo, now that's going to get some attention in Serbia

and germany under the pump tonight against sweden, that should be a good game
0 x

storm84

Post by storm84 » 23 Jun 2018, 13:23

brimlad wrote:
23 Jun 2018, 10:28
both goal scorers refugees from Kosovo, now that's going to get some attention in Serbia
Given what led to there being refugees from Kosovo, the country really should have no complaints.

Tonight I think I'll just watch the Germany vs Sweden match. For all the crap Optus Sport is rightfully getting, I'm enjoying the ability to watch mini-matches on their app. So in the morning I can cover all three games in the space of an hour without feeling like I'm losing too much. At least at this stage when there are only okayish and goodish fixtures.
0 x

storm84

Post by storm84 » 24 Jun 2018, 09:27

So the Belgium vs Tunisia match was entertaining as a neutral spectacle. Good attacking football from both sides. Germany vs Sweden was more the classic tense European grind, thankfully brought alive by a Swedish goal that came out of nowhere. And what a finish! That winner was pure beauty.
0 x

brimlad

Post by brimlad » 25 Jun 2018, 09:35

ENGLAND .. ... .... .. ENGLAND lol
they played well this morning, playing 3 at the back they created many opportunities; their real test is on Friday against Belgium then we'll know if they can take this new hope deep into the cup.

I was unimpressed by Germany, their clinical football seems to have deserted them; so many squandered chances and a miraculous goal in the final play of extra time to save their bacon; perhaps they'll grow from that but they look fragile atm.

Apparently the Japan Senegal match was a cracker might try and watch that today.

round 3 group games seem to be on at the same time so looks like Spain will get the nod on sbs at 4am
0 x

storm84

Post by storm84 » 25 Jun 2018, 11:15

I think one game is on SBS and the other is on SBS2 (Viceland) so you watch whichever. I think Spain vs Morocco is the game I'll tape and watch when I get up.

I kind of fast forwarded through some of it for time reasons, but I'd agree that the Japan vs Senegal match was the game of the night. Final round Senegal vs Columbia should be a good game.
0 x

brimlad

Post by brimlad » 25 Jun 2018, 15:28

thanks storm didn't think about no.2; think I'll watch the Portugal match though I am a tad bias as I do have Portuguese heritage.

and the Japan Senegal match was brilliant, great to see both teams just going for it.

Colombia are playing good so the match up with Senegal will be intense and every thing to play for.
0 x

storm84

Post by storm84 » 25 Jun 2018, 16:39

I think my next 4 mornings will be:
Tuesday: Spain vs Morocco
Wednesday: Australia vs Peru (probably) or Nigeria vs Argentina
Thursday: Serbia vs Brazil
Friday: Senegal vs Columbia

There's some great games on I won't be able to see (damn job) like Uruguay vs Russia, Denmark vs France, and England vs Belgium.
0 x

Nekosan

Post by Nekosan » 25 Jun 2018, 18:45

Because apparently all my friend hate soccer and nobody appreciated it, japan last night:

https://gfycat.com/FearlessHiddenKissingbug
0 x

storm84

Post by storm84 » 26 Jun 2018, 09:52

Two surprising results and two intense finishes in group B. I wonder if the round of 16 will produce a better matchup than Uruguay vs Portugal. Also, the families of the Spanish first XI need to go of the grid for a few days... ;)
0 x

brimlad

Post by brimlad » 26 Jun 2018, 16:46

Uruguay v Portugal match should be pretty good, if Portugal can win they'll have a good chance of making it to the final, Uruguay look pretty good.

I thought Portugal were unlucky to draw this morning, Cedric's hand ball was pretty dodgy not sure what your meant to do with your arms except getting them amputated and Ronaldo's penalty miss the keeper clearly moved forward off his line so he should have had another go.
Iran did play well though and it was a great game, tense. I didn't see the Spain game but it sounded tense, having to come from behind to snatch a draw is never easy.

and now the Peru mountain, crampons at the ready because we have one hell of a peak to scale, hopefully Arzani will be in the starting mob I think he'll do well if he does. France should win I'm pretty sure they don't want to play Croatia next and as we have seen it seems easy to snatch a goal at the death and have a draw end in defeat.
0 x

storm84

Post by storm84 » 26 Jun 2018, 21:13

I can't help but think a draw suits both France and Denmark, as Denmark have everything to lose if they lose. Likewise France secures top spot as long as they don't lose. Game theory suggests a bore draw. But football is a funny old game, so who knows... The speculator in me thinks the best option is that Peru scores early and that changes the equation in which a Denmark win means first place and avoiding a red hot Croatia.

In any case, I'm turning off all data on my phone, taping the match, and setting my alarm for 5am. Exciting times!
0 x

storm84

Post by storm84 » 27 Jun 2018, 09:58

storm84 wrote:
26 Jun 2018, 21:13
I can't help but think a draw suits both France and Denmark, as Denmark have everything to lose if they lose. Likewise France secures top spot as long as they don't lose. Game theory suggests a bore draw.
Called it.
0 x

brimlad

Post by brimlad » 27 Jun 2018, 13:04

yes you did storm, France actually rested a couple of players and their match against Argentina should be a good one.

we played good in the first half and created chances with good energy and the Peru goal could have been called offside but it was a cracking shot so a deserved goal and we certainly could have come back from that. Rogic and Leckie did good and were unlucky not to get something.
2nd half we looked rather ordinary especially after the 2nd goal. Azarni should have come on ealier, he had energy; Cahill was pointless when he did offer a good ball he didn't back up the player and I don't think he got one header, he just looked angry.
it was a pity we didn't see Mclaren play and I don't understand why Mooy was playing as a defensive midfielder he's our best play maker and was often behind Jed.
much will be said and much will probably, and needs to change; most of the problems are at the top in the administration; we can play better but it will be a long road.

Brasil Serbia probably the pick of the night both will want to win as the Swiss could take Costa
0 x

brimlad

Post by brimlad » 28 Jun 2018, 06:50

the world has gone mad... Germany employs the keeper as an attacking wing back lol
0 x

storm84

Post by storm84 » 28 Jun 2018, 10:16

All Germany needed to do was score against a nation that has nothing to play for except pride. And full credit to South Korea for doing that.

Another amazing Rof16 clash in Brazil vs Mexico.

Watched the Serbia vs Brazil game and two things stood out. First, damn Brazil are classy in the ball - Coutinho with what could be the assist of the tournament! Second, the way they go down and flail around would be over the top for a grindhouse film and distracts from all the good they do for the game in the way they otherwise play. FIFA should be giving post-match yellows for some of those theatrics.
0 x