FIFA World Cup 2018

Yes, and eSports too!
brimlad

Re: FIFA World Cup 2018

Post by brimlad » 08 Jul 2018, 07:00

what a night and no better way to finish than penalties... so much drama the semis should be awesome... now the chance to sleep :D
0 x

storm84

Post by storm84 » 08 Jul 2018, 13:37

I'm quite impressed with some of the goals Russia has scored from open play this tournament - their first strike today being among the best of any side. It's a shame they went out that way, but you really can't take away from Croatia. Would put them down as favorites against England, won didn't look great today but clinical enough I suppose.

C'mon Belgium vs Croatia final...
0 x

brimlad

Post by brimlad » 09 Jul 2018, 13:37

Russia have impressed, they lost by millimetres and they have done football a great service, its been a great world cup; that 2nd goal at the death of extra time was magic.

England looked better, they still struggle to get through the middle and really rely on a ball crossed in to milk a penalty or set plays; croatia have some real ball skill especially in Modric so will be a handful but the Russians have shown that good defensive structure can negate that flair and I expect the English back 3 will be a back 5. that said I think England will get through and given my wife is English and they are our oldest allies I'll have to support the 3 lions.

France Belgium will be a cracker game but I like the strength and power of Belgium so I expect them to win but it could 3-2 in extra time I expect a few goals from both teams as their defence is a tad flaky... hopefully it will go to penalties... 7-6 Belgium :D

so Belgium England final is my prediction but who ever get there it will be a good final !
0 x

brimlad

Post by brimlad » 11 Jul 2018, 06:49

good game, France the deserved winners; great first half with both teams having many chances could have been 1 or 2 all at half time.
Once France got their goal early in the 2nd they really knuckled down in defence, Pogba in particular played a brilliant defensive midfield role and the only opportunities Belgium had were in crossed balls and some good keeping ensured France took the win.

ENGLAND :)
0 x

storm84

Post by storm84 » 11 Jul 2018, 14:39

Those first 25 minutes looked all Belgium. But after that, the Belgian attack was well contained and France was so deadly on the counter. Once they scored, it was effectively game over.

Enjoyable to watch though. I hope tonight's game is as attacking, though I doubt England has much attacking strategy that doesn't involve set pieces.
0 x

brimlad

Post by brimlad » 11 Jul 2018, 19:00

that is the English death, the old England, 5 at the back and push it wide in attack and hope on the cross or set play. Croatia have the ability to play through the middle and pressure the defence in the 6 yard space; it will be a tussle I just hope that England come out and swing to a final...

ENGLAND :)
0 x

Disco

Post by Disco » 11 Jul 2018, 19:20

I'm hoping it's England V France, for old times sake
0 x
Nekosan wrote:
29 Mar 2018, 00:36
Disco is fkn banned from the flamethrower. :lol:

brimlad

Post by brimlad » 12 Jul 2018, 07:16

AWESOME FUN ! Croatia deserved the win, England struggled to press from open play, the only shot they had was the free kick they scored from that over 120 minutes of football. Croatia looked dangerous throughout the 2nd half. great game :)

next time perhaps for the 3 lions.... :(

France Croatia final and given my complete failure at predictions I'm not even going to bother; but with Gressy and the spiritual son of Pele on your team you would have to feel pretty good :)
0 x

Disco

Post by Disco » 12 Jul 2018, 09:49

Reading this is like reading another language, I have no idea what pressing from an open play is :lol: Who knew football could be so complicated
0 x
Nekosan wrote:
29 Mar 2018, 00:36
Disco is fkn banned from the flamethrower. :lol:

storm84

Post by storm84 » 12 Jul 2018, 10:33

I was a bit surprised at England's dominance in the first half. After their goal they looked pretty dangerous on the counter attack and Croatia didn't look like they could get the ball out of midfield. Full credit to Croatia for coming out positively in the second half - a goal was on the cards for a while, and after that England looked out of sorts. Suppose that's that they get for relying on set pieces to score...

It's hard to go past France for the final, though I hope Croatia can win. In some ways, I think Belgium vs England is potentially the better spectacle with Belgium's attacking intent.
0 x

brimlad

Post by brimlad » 12 Jul 2018, 13:15

Disco wrote:
12 Jul 2018, 09:49
Reading this is like reading another language, I have no idea what pressing from an open play is :lol: Who knew football could be so complicated
most games do have their own language Disco and association football is one of the oldest... press from open play = apply attacking pressure on the opposing defence from open play, open play being play that what occurs generally rather than from set pieces which are free kicks or corners.

England lacked the ball skills to penetrate the Croatian defence and relied on their aerial skill to try and score goals and most of that air supremacy comes from their defensive players which are only pushed forward in set pieces. The Croatian 2nd goal came from a real lapse in concentration from the English defence and after that the England players look resigned to defeat though the Croatians worked very hard in defence to see of the match off.

the Belgium England game will be a good one, the game we were deprived of in the group stage because they rested their best players... some what fitting that we get that game again... football gods at work hehe :)
0 x

storm84

Post by storm84 » 15 Jul 2018, 10:40

England looked better than they did all tournament, though never really looked too threatening in the attacking third. Belgium deserved winners.
0 x

brimlad

Post by brimlad » 15 Jul 2018, 18:45

it looked a training match to me; Dier looked good for England, Kane looked lame and Hazard was probably the best of the game... glad he plays for Chelsea :)

1 more game... 1am more coffee and grappa, should be an awesome game and night :D
France deserve to win but Croatia have enough emotion and passion to spoil that party....
3-2 France in extra time and the spiritual son of Pele scores a hat-trick and wins the golden boot (Kane doesn't deserve it) and Grezzy player of the tournament with 3 assists in the final.

been the best World Cup I can remember lets hope for a good final :)
Last edited by brimlad on 15 Jul 2018, 21:24, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

storm84

Post by storm84 » 15 Jul 2018, 20:56

I've got work in the morning, so I'm recording the match and getting up early to watch it. I really hope Croatia can win, but the way France has been playing they deserve it. France vs Argentina was one of the great matches in a tournament of many great matches.

I'm going to be so sad tomorrow knowing I need to wait over 4 years until this happens again.
0 x

brimlad

Post by brimlad » 17 Jul 2018, 09:31

that was fun and only 3 years and 11 months till the next :)

great final, Croatia were a tad unlucky but France made their luck and deserved the win; I watch the celebrations the following morning and they looked like they were having fun... especially the Macaron lol

my favourite match was the Portugal Spain... not often you get an Iberian derby and that free kick at the death was sublime :) but many great games and pretty much all played in a good sporting spirit... Russia did good and put on a great world cup it's a shame that Vlad is such a dick.

and the EPL not far away, Chelsea in Australia for some pre-season fun... the football doesn't stop :D
0 x

storm84

Post by storm84 » 17 Jul 2018, 09:44

The next one will be in Qatar and is scheduled for the winter there, so it's still more than 4 years away...
0 x

brimlad

Post by brimlad » 17 Jul 2018, 10:50

I can wait, just; and it's been fun chatting football with you storm and did Optus give you a refund ?
0 x

storm84

Post by storm84 » 17 Jul 2018, 11:49

Yeah, they did eventually. And sent an apology SMS, then an apology email.

I'm feeling a bit down about it being over - it was exciting while it was on. It's amazing how it has the ability to draw in a neutral crowd and captivate even non-sporting fans. And it has been fun to chat about it on here. The only downside I saw were the times it was best to watch was early morning, so there was no chance to have a beer or five while watching the games. I assume the next world cup will be just as bad for this.

I think perhaps my favourite match was France vs Argentina. That match had everything, including some sublime finishes. And the 2nd half of Belgium vs Japan was something special. And the goal at the death of Germany vs Sweden was a sublime dead ball finish at just the right moment. It's what one would expect of Germany - and not their capitulation to South Korea.

I thought the Final was good, though as soon a Pogba's shot went in the contest was effectively over. France were deserved winners, even if Griezmann fell over to win that first free kick.

One final thing - how is it that we as a nation can see the success of Croatia (~4 million and war torn), Uruguay (~3.5 million) or even Belgium (~11.5 million) and not put any plan in place that will make us competitive? We were the only Asian nation not to win a match, and our claim to national pride on the pitch was that the eventual champions struggled to beat us. Where the plan for improvement for 2022? What about 2026 and 2030? Before 2006, our excuse was we were in Oceania - too small and too weak to produce quality. Now we're in Asia where at least there are a few quality sides, and our national team's quality has declined. We were lucky to be the 5th best team in Asia and beat the 4th best team in North America, and there's no set path to improve beyond hoping Arzani comes good. The A league is not delivering the quality needed to compete on the world stage, unfortunately. Why is that? We're an affluent nation with perennial sunshine and a sports-mad population. We can and ought to do better.
0 x

brimlad

Post by brimlad » 18 Jul 2018, 16:50

we struggle because we have so many competing sports for the top athletes and our football administration is dogged by much envy and infighting. Arnold is a good coach and if some of our young stars can get good contracts in Europe then we should be able to build. The A-league is just a stepping stone that good players need to get out and beyond by the time they are 21.
If the A-league can bring in a few retiring quality players that will assist the level of the comp and help the younger players with mentors with connections to the bigger leagues.
It will always be tough for Australia to compete in world football but the biggest issue we have is the division at the top of the administration and the politics between the clubs.

looking forward to the EPL and a few a-league games and I might even throw some love at Optus and sub for a few months over the summer :)
0 x

vkeong3

Post by vkeong3 » 34 minutes ago

How do you think who will get to the Best FIFA 20 players? I hope to see some new faces.
0 x