QuakeCon 2016: Quake Champions

Player Attack News straight from the horse's mouth
NewsBot

QuakeCon 2016: Quake Champions

Post by NewsBot » 05 Aug 2016, 10:48

If you're a fan of old-school shooters, with all their super-fast action, rocket jumps, and gib splatters, looks like you're in luck. The team at id understands what people want, and they're delivering it in spades. Here's a look at some of the gameplay that's in store when Quake Champions hits some time next year. This is part of a presentation at this year's QuakeCon by id Software Studio Director Tim Willits, and if it doesn't get you just a little bit excited, we'd like you to check your pulse.
The post QuakeCon 2016: Quake Champions appeared first on Player Attack.

Read more here
0 x

phylum

Re: QuakeCon 2016: Quake Champions

Post by phylum » 05 Aug 2016, 15:49

I'm keen to see what they do with it. I don't like that some characters will be able to bunnyhop while others can only strafe jump - that's just outright broken. The ability to actually accelerate around corners is just crazy to the point where either everyone needs it or nobody should have it.

But other than that if the moving and shooting feels good then I'm in. It doesn't look like the lightning gun has much knockback from the trailer, and that's something that really scares me. One thing I love in Quake 3/Quake Live is the utility of the lightning gun - you can push people around a bit. If someone moves stupidly you can shut them in a corner. If someone makes a dumb drop on your head you can punish them and pin them in the air.

Also we actually have 5 Aussie players over in Dallas right now competing in the QCon tournaments! 3 of them played Quake Live today, including Python who has sporadically been to international LANs since around 2000. They all did well, one finishing top12, one finishing top8, and one still alive in the tournament after defeating a top European player. The other 2 players are there for QuakeWorld 2v2, which starts at around 1am tonight.

(It would be cool to see a news post here about the Aussie presence - let me know if you want some details ;D)

The Quake Live players at QCon apparently get their hands on the game, although I'm pretty sure they won't be allowed to say anything. But the game is definitely playable and id are getting feedback from the finest Aussie players, among others :p
0 x

dotarray
Site Admin

Post by dotarray » 05 Aug 2016, 16:15

phylum wrote:(It would be cool to see a news post here about the Aussie presence - let me know if you want some details ;D)
Please! I hadn't heard anything about them - that's great news!
phylum wrote:The Quake Live players at QCon apparently get their hands on the game, although I'm pretty sure they won't be allowed to say anything. But the game is definitely playable and id are getting feedback from the finest Aussie players, among others :p
There's actually a demonstration match on Saturday night in Dallas, as part of the QuakeCon Finals Party. Could be interesting to see how the "select group of competitive players" shapes up against the new game - I'd imagine they'll be able to say quite a bit about it afterward!
0 x
Jessica Citizen, formerly Chienne
Player Attack!

"I love sleep. My life has the tendency to fall apart when I'm awake, you know?" - Ernest Hemingway

phylum

Post by phylum » 05 Aug 2016, 19:12

I might PM you some info in a bit? One of them is even sponsored by an Aussie team, and he's played some awesome games so far :D

I'd heard there was going to be some public demonstration, but one of the devs on Discord has been saying that only a select few will get to see the game. Maybe he means play? I would really love to see some gameplay. I do know they've flown over a legendary Austrian TDM player Noctis especially for something to do with the new game.
0 x