Final Fantasy VII remake to be episodic and rather different

Player Attack News straight from the horse's mouth
NewsBot

Final Fantasy VII remake to be episodic and rather different

Post by NewsBot » 08 Dec 2015, 09:29

From the first teases of gameplay shown in the latest Final Fantasy VII remake trailer, we could all see that Square Enix had pulled a Bowie and that things were c-c-c-changing. The extent of these changes is probably more than folk were expecting though, with Square announcing that the remake would see an episodic release.

Read more here https://www.playerattack.com/news/2015/ ... different/
0 x

vcatkiller

Re: Final Fantasy VII remake to be episodic and rather different

Post by vcatkiller » 08 Dec 2015, 10:23

The remake is already causing a stir among the fans. Personally, apart from the episodic thing it looks pretty cool. If they can ditch that artificial looking menu combat and the invisible wandering monster thing then I know I'd be a happy camper.
0 x

Stoibs

Post by Stoibs » 08 Dec 2015, 17:20

Lost pretty much most of my interest when I saw the shift in combat system to the button mashing flip-de-do aRPG arcade style as opposed to retaining the proper and personally preferred semi-turnbased.

That it apparently is going to be released episodically in 'chunks' with different gameplay is also pretty bizarre and the exact opposite of something that I would deem as appealing. No doubt these will all be sold seperately, and it just sounds like PR talk for 'cashgrab' to me.
Bleh.
0 x

vcatkiller

Post by vcatkiller » 08 Dec 2015, 18:12

Stoibs wrote:Lost pretty much most of my interest when I saw the shift in combat system to the button mashing flip-de-do aRPG arcade style as opposed to retaining the proper and personally preferred semi-turnbased.

That it apparently is going to be released episodically in 'chunks' with different gameplay is also pretty bizarre and the exact opposite of something that I would deem as appealing. No doubt these will all be sold seperately, and it just sounds like PR talk for 'cashgrab' to me.
Bleh.
I'd say speak for yourself but you're not alone. Personally I've always hated the ATB system with an absolute vengeance, it's so artificial and just stupid as hell. Everybody just lined up waiting for their turn to rush at the enemy and then fall back into line again, it's just nonsensical.

And don't get me started on the freaking irritating random encounter thing where you just wander through empty areas bumping into invisible monsters that teleport you to an arena that looks vaguely like where you were so you can fight using that horrid system. It's just about the most jarring and annoying thing about the older Final Fantasies and I'm glad newer games are going away from it.

edit: actually it will have a turn-based combat system. This from an interview with Sqeeninx:
The battle system is Active Time Battle. However, the ATB gauge doesn’t indicate the order of attacks, but rather is its own system unique to Final Fantasy VII Remake. Nomura says you should pay particular attention to when the gauge turns red.
http://gematsu.com/2015/12/final-fantas ... ation-more

Le sigh
0 x

Matty

Post by Matty » 08 Dec 2015, 18:46

vcatkiller wrote: And don't get me started on the freaking irritating random encounter thing where you just wander through empty areas bumping into invisible monsters that teleport you to an arena that looks vaguely like where you were so you can fight using that horrid system.
This annoys the hell out of me. It annoyed me in 7, it annoyed me in 10, and it continues to annoy me in Pokemon (and Elite Dangerous if you want to open that can of worms). It's a relic feature from a time when dinosaurs roamed the earth.
0 x
Matter of fact, I didn't even give you my coat!

acegiak

Post by acegiak » 08 Dec 2015, 19:13

Any system where I need to grind on random encounters to progress can go die in a fire. Losing the turn based combat though, that does suck. I know that a bunch of people I know that enjoy final fantasy type games like the turn based combat because it makes them feel less pressured and have more time to think about the game and thus enjoy it more.
0 x

Stoibs

Post by Stoibs » 08 Dec 2015, 19:32

vcatkiller wrote:

edit: actually it will have a turn-based combat system. This from an interview with Sqeeninx:
The battle system is Active Time Battle. However, the ATB gauge doesn’t indicate the order of attacks, but rather is its own system unique to Final Fantasy VII Remake. Nomura says you should pay particular attention to when the gauge turns red.
http://gematsu.com/2015/12/final-fantas ... ation-more

Le sigh
That sounds like FF12 to me but with more arcadey running around and fast paced actively engaged blocking/jumping/etc. in-between your 'turns'.

On paper it sounds like they knew in advance that they were going to piss us off by changing up things and re-inventing the wheel by 'fixing' things that didn't need fixing, while at the same time trying to appease a different crowd and audience with more modern day concessions; and so opted for this half-half hybrid that sounds kind of awful for everyone.
Eh.. that's another gripe and another annoyance about these 'gameplay' trailers that barely show you 10 seconds of actual gameplay bookended by loads of pre-rendered CGI, we still don't know a thing about what this 'gameplay' will actually be exactly. One of my gripes about incompetent trailer creators for years now.. but that's another discussion altogether and neither here nor there.

As an aside I would have to question why one would intentionally stick with and play a game genre that you don't even enjoy in regards to certain mechanics and gameplay.
It's like, the widely popular jRPG genre with it's distinct combat and random encounters etc. has been a constant and an established style for about 30 or so years now, Plenty of people don't like jRPG's however and instead play either aRPG's or westernized cRPG's instead which is perfectly understandable. Similarly I don't typically go into genre's of games that I don't particularly like and just sit there while I 'hate it with a vengeance', rather I just.. don't play them instead -or if I do, I atleast respect them for what they are and that it may not be my cup of tea personally, recognize the thing I'm getting into with gameplay footage and the like, and prepare myself accordingly (Waiting for deep sales usually helps)
What about these games is it that you enjoy, if the game proper and the bulk of what typically makes them up is undesirable and such a drag for you guys? Would experiencing these in a let's play be more appropriate? (I've certainly done this in games that sound like they have an interesting story, but are of a genre/style that I wouldn't enjoy)
0 x

vcatkiller

Post by vcatkiller » 08 Dec 2015, 20:49

Well that's just it. I don't think I've completed a single one of the older Final Fantasy games, or in fact any of the older jRPGs with menu-based combat systems. Usually I try to stick with them because the storyline is good. Final Fantasy 6 was awesome for example. Well the story was, grinding through the random encounters and the painful combat system was not. I gave up way before I saw the end of that.

I guess I just prefer the western RPGs. Give me the likes of Baldur's Gate over Final Fantasy whatever any day of the week.
0 x

Stoibs

Post by Stoibs » 09 Dec 2015, 08:39

Fair enough. I indeed prefer a westernised RPG myself, the Baldur's Gate saga is still pretty much up there as my favourite game(s) of all time. Still enjoy a good playthough of the likes of FF6 or Chrono trigger here and there though (FF6 just announced and is up on Steam as of now! Comes out in a week. :D shame it's that questionable mobile port version though..)

Interestingly enough in relation to these complaints, apparently the PS4 version of FF7 has in-built cheats to disable random encounters and to speed up battles etc.
I found that interesting, and would regard this totally optional feature a reasonable solution for all. (Though it seems to me you'd be pretty underleveled with this on all the time)
0 x

HunterKiller

Post by HunterKiller » 09 Dec 2015, 12:08

For me Im very excited and cant wait for the game, I loved the original and I think ill love the remake.

Even though they say its a remake I think its more of a reimagine of the game keeping the core story but just their added touches in todays standards I guess.

If that is for the better I dont know but seeing the trailer has me excited, although I think ill wait for the whole game to be released and sold as a bundle after all episodes have been released, even if I have to wait years into the future, I think ill be doing that.

One last thing I would LOVE to see is to have CO-OP, id love to play this game with 2 other friends who can make up the 3 person party and roam around and fight together, and to have it a dropin-dropout style.

Please let me know what you guys think about the CO-OP element in it, cheers.
0 x

vcatkiller

Post by vcatkiller » 09 Dec 2015, 15:53

HunterKiller wrote:
One last thing I would LOVE to see is to have CO-OP, id love to play this game with 2 other friends who can make up the 3 person party and roam around and fight together, and to have it a dropin-dropout style.

Please let me know what you guys think about the CO-OP element in it, cheers.
I think that sounds awesome! Pick a character from the unlocked character list and then roam around with your friends beating badguys and getting into strife? Or trouble instead, if Cloud doesn't seem to into it...
0 x

Stoibs

Post by Stoibs » 09 Dec 2015, 19:21

vcatkiller wrote:and getting into strife? Or trouble instead, if Cloud doesn't seem to into it...
Guess that depends on whether they'll be keeping certain things like the hidden Date with Barret or the crossdressing in this reboot. .

Actually joking aside I am interested to see if some of these things are changed up significantly and cut out for a newer 'contemporary' audience like the above (Including the Group bath), all of Cid/Barret's colourful language, what the final ruling on Aerith/Aeris's name is, Tifa's Um... overexagerated Assets in certain cut scenes etc.
0 x