Guitars and people who strum them.

"Would say maybe Arts/Crafts/Cooking/Gardening but then the forum title gets a bit long..."
GamingKen

Guitars and people who strum them.

Post by GamingKen » 09 Nov 2015, 17:10

Don't have much to start this thread off with, other than to say I've been getting back into playing guitar and been messing around with Guitar Rig 5 and/or Amplitube. Got a free copy of Tracktion 4 (which I believe is free now anyway) with a Behringer USB Guitar Link that I purchased, and that has been fun to use with backing tracks that I've grabbed off of YoutTube. No amp at the moment, just an electric guitar, but that is working out okay using the things I just mentioned. Found a site, http://www.songsterr.com/ , that has been terrific for free guitar tabs, so been plugging away at learning a few Metallica songs again (that's just what gets me motivated to play).

Just a few seconds I exported from Tracktion (testing the soundcloud bbcode) after messing around with applications mentioned above. The drums and bass are just a backing track from YouTube, with my guitar over the top.

Anyone else playing, learning, gigging etc?
Last edited by GamingKen on 11 Nov 2015, 11:29, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Matty

Re: Guitars and people who strum them.

Post by Matty » 09 Nov 2015, 17:22

Haven't picked up in a while but I have an matte black and aluminium LAG Jet And a line6 Spider Valve 112. Friend started learning drums so I'm probably gonna get back into it. Haven't played in ages. I also have a red Sammick acoustic somewhere.

Have a Yamaha Bass and small Vox amp somewhere. Played that a few times, felt like Murderface.
Last edited by Matty on 12 Apr 2016, 04:06, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Matter of fact, I didn't even give you my coat!

MuscularTeeth

Post by MuscularTeeth » 09 Nov 2015, 17:25

hey mate. good thread.

I started learning guitar on my own just over 3 years ago. started 2 weeks before my eldest was born in 2012 april 13.
i have primarily been jamming on my own, occasionally reading tabs mostly just finger picking on my own, with no direction. never had much interest learning songs for most of the time, just wanting to make strange and nice sounds and rythms.

Then about a year ago maybe a little longer, i bought rocksmith 2014 which has helped me learn chords and strumming and playing a guitar in a more formalised manner, which has been great. I dont have the time to get a tutor, so logging in for 15-mins to an hour each night i am slowly learning....with so much more to go.

Ive got ;

An Epiophone accoustic-electric, a fairly cheapish $200 odd dollar model. - nice little rosette, and yellowish timber hue

then i bought a bc rich warlock electric guitar off a mate 2nd has for $100. - its a dark green and chipped

then i borrowed my nephews 3/4 epiphone jnr model as well (he didnt want to learn guitar and moved to drums). it is like a faded orangey black staburst thing..hard to describe. looks like a vignette effect in a photo. black slowly moving to colour in the center.

and finally i swapped some art for a Ibanez 5 strng bass guitar - just solid black. i am thinking of pulling the strings off and sanding this one back and painting it. so far i am finding bass so much easier with the fingering of notes, rather than picking, coming from the early times spent randonly picking on the strings.

i am obsessed with guitars now, and though i never have the time to spend serious time on it, i am dramatically improving from the person 3 odd years ago who couldnt play a note. i wish i started when i was 3, like my girls do now with just having guitars in the house to feel comfortable with..

i would like a project of building one from scratch. still not confident enough yet, but one day....
0 x

GamingKen

Post by GamingKen » 09 Nov 2015, 17:38

Nice, Matty! I've never even seen one of those guitars myself, looks quite sexy in matte black and aluminum. :D I have an LP style ESP LTD at the moment and was actually looking at a few Line 6 amps. Guitar Rig 5 gets me through for now at least.

You have a bass playing GF? Are you the real Ted Mosby?

@MT Hi mate :) Rocksmith is definitely something I want to get too. I'm a little annoyed I have to buy another USB device for it though, when I already have a perfectly good one, but it seems worthwhile and looks a fun way to progress my playing too.

That sounds like quite a collection you have going already, and so great that you feel yourself making progress in teaching yourself. I have only ever taught myself as well, and I have never taken it too serious which means I kind of hit a dead end at times and don't put the effort in to progress in further. I'm trying to turn that about a bit now though.

I've always thought about picking up a really cheap 2nd hand guitar somewhere, just so I can strip it back and repaint it, and do it up as something "mine".

Knew there had to be others around here with guitars :)
0 x

Vital-Blurs

Post by Vital-Blurs » 09 Nov 2015, 17:55

Cool.....anyone willing to do something creative with their spare time is alright in my book ;)

I played drums through high school and for a few years afterwards. I considered myself competent, but not great. Plus I never really had the energy for it (you need excess energy to be a great drummer....energy to burn)

In more recent years I decided to pick up a cheap bass guitar and practice amp, which soon turned into thousands of dollars worth of gear :roll:

From left to right and best to worst....Yamaha BB-N5A, Washburn Force 5 neck-thru and a mystery Aria which is a surprisingly good passive bass.

Along with a David Eden Nemesis 410 (320w)

I also grabbed an Ibanez DX170 Gio and a Marshall MG15 DFX amp just for the sake of having one around the place, but I hardly played it as I preferred the bass.

I've been slack lately though. Racing RC cars and building Gundams has eaten up most of my free time....after gaming of course. I'll probably end up selling the Ibanez and Marshall.
0 x

MuscularTeeth

Post by MuscularTeeth » 09 Nov 2015, 18:05

love the lighting "dots" on your neck in the last guitar pic.
some beautiful beasts. ill have to take photos of my own little bastards.
0 x

GamingKen

Post by GamingKen » 09 Nov 2015, 18:06

Very nice, Vital! I always considered giving bass a shot, but never got around to it. Seems hard to find time to do half the things I would like to try. That amp looks like it would pack a fair punch. High school was when I started out too, playing (badly) in garages with mates, but then drifted away from it all over the years.
0 x

CherryRed

Post by CherryRed » 09 Nov 2015, 19:01

My husband has been trying to be a guitar player since I met him. He can play Happy Birthday, which is really cool on 2nd December every year :lol:
0 x
Mugsy wrote:
09 Oct 2018, 21:26
I was raised to not do things I wouldn't want done to myself. And that's why anal sex is off the agenda.

Vital-Blurs

Post by Vital-Blurs » 09 Nov 2015, 19:33

@Matty I thought I'd seen them all, but I've never even heard of Lag guitars.....boutique? and a valve amp. That's the stuff.

@MT ha! yeah, I think they're supposed to be a kind of shark tooth design. Adds to the 'metal' look. I'm surprised you haven't done any art projects with some sort of guitar yet. I'm sure it's only a matter of time ;)

@Mearehear You should try a bass one day, it's quite different to a regular guitar, although I'm sure you'll attempt to play it like it was normal guitar as all guitarists do :D There's a lot more going on with a bass players fingers than it looks though. I was surprised how much string muting is required at both ends and also how much freedom a bass player has too.

I tried Rocksmith and highly recommend it as it's an extremely useful tool. But I just could not get the ingame sounds and my input perfectly synched up. Plus it seemed to struggle to even detect my inputs and that was using active pickups with a fresh 9v. I'd have to play heavier than I normally would and that's just not on. So, I spent hours fiddling with the latency settings etc. but never found the right amount. It drove me mental :|
0 x

Matty

Post by Matty » 09 Nov 2015, 19:50

Vital-Blurs wrote:@Matty I thought I'd seen them all, but I've never even heard of Lag guitars.....boutique? and a valve amp. That's the stuff.
They are like, french or something. They are good for the price. Mine was about $850. It fills that awkward stepping stone position of needing a good guitar after your start off $200 guitar, but not wanting to drop 10k on a PRS or something.

Another pic

I certain mine has EMG pickups though. The Line6 is good but there is 1 problem, when ever you change a preset setting it changes the volume of the amp to super loud for some reason. It's annoying as hell. But Brendan Small uses Line6 now so I'm cool by default. :P
0 x

GamingKen

Post by GamingKen » 10 Nov 2015, 00:54

Vital-Blurs wrote:@Mearehear You should try a bass one day, it's quite different to a regular guitar, although I'm sure you'll attempt to play it like it was normal guitar as all guitarists do :D There's a lot more going on with a bass players fingers than it looks though. I was surprised how much string muting is required at both ends and also how much freedom a bass player has too.
Ha you're right, every time I've picked up a bass I have played it with a pick and gone about it like it was a guitar :P You can possibly blame that on a bit on a Jason Newsted influence :D I used to work in a music store (not that I dealt with the instruments) and got to pick up a bass fairly regualrly, but never more than to mess about on for 5 minutes. Still would be nice to pick up one in the future though.

And I think I am just going to have to get RockSmith.

EDIT - To add a pic of mine
Last edited by GamingKen on 10 Nov 2015, 01:50, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Anon. E. Moose

Post by Anon. E. Moose » 10 Nov 2015, 01:08

Mine that I don't play anywhere near as much as I'd like to. I bring it out every few months and practice off stuff from YouTube, I'm thinking I should just buy Rocksmith though.
0 x

Maddog

Post by Maddog » 10 Nov 2015, 15:29

Currently I have a Squier Fat strat (HSS) and I got an Artist passive P-bass at the start of the year
amp wise I have a Marshall mg50, an Avid Eleven rack and a few little 10-15 watt practise amps.

I've always only really played to entertain myself and over the last couple of years have been using Rocksmith (1 & 2014) as well
I have spent way too much on DLC tracks especially since 2014 was released. The el-cheapo bass I bought was mainly justified as a controller but I have encountered the issues mentioned above with it not always registering the inputs especially with the passive bass

Recently I have started attempting to build my own guitars and I'm currently working on a Strat and I'll follow that up with a slightly over the top bass
0 x

Jimmy_The_Geek

Post by Jimmy_The_Geek » 11 Nov 2015, 10:43

I have a serious case of Guitar Acquisition Syndrome (or GAS). I'll get some photos for you in the near future, but here's a list of my children:

2006 Gibson Les Paul Studio - Alpine white with Gold hardware and a custom Bone nut - this one does most of my heavy rock lifting. chunky as hell and has that classic Les Paul sound

Ibanez 7321 - 7 string. I use this on the odd occasion I want to get sludgy. I keep it in ADADGBE tuning, mostly so I can play Korn and System of a Down Songs

Fender Telecaster - This baby is what I use as my workhorse. It's got the best action, the nicest pickups and DAMN do I love that Tele sound. Bright red. Japanese made. Still one of the best guitars I've ever owned, and I've owned a lot

Brian May Red Special - This right here is my pride and joy. I straight up LOVE this guitar. I found it for the bargain price of 600 dollars 2nd hand. As a massive Queen fan I feel like owning a replica of the greatest guitar ever made was super dooper important. This one was used, I think, during the first run of We Will Rock You, the musical. It's got the right circuitry and hardware as well. This guitar is BASICALLY an emulator. It does so many great sounds!

Epiphone Dot - The Dot is, pound for pound dollar for dollar, the best Semi acoustic guitar available. Mine is out of commission right now due to a snapped headstock, but still a GLORIOUS guitar.

Epiphone Les Paul Ukulele - this is my new toy. Fully acoustic/electric uke. sounds absolutely bad ass and looks like a sunburst Les Paul. Best

I run this through a series of pedals (another topic perhaps) into a Vox AC30.
0 x
Superman, Tabletop, Video and Pro Wrestling.

NotThatDoug

Post by NotThatDoug » 11 Nov 2015, 11:37

Not my photo I sold mine a couple of years ago, blue Epiphone SG, was a really nice guitar, I could play 7 Nation Army, Brain Stew and the intro to House on the Rising Sun... then I got my index finger slammed in door and lost a big chunk of skin off it and couldn't play for a while, still can't feel anything in a part of my finger, So I sold it to a guy I knew who was starting a band because I knew he would look after it and I wanted it to have a good home.

Thinking of picking up a Keytar so I can try and be musical again because I do miss it a bit...
0 x
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197970978425]Image[/url]

Matty

Post by Matty » 11 Nov 2015, 14:22

NotThatDoug wrote: Thinking of picking up a Keytar so I can try and be musical again because I do miss it a bit...
0 x

NotThatDoug

Post by NotThatDoug » 11 Nov 2015, 14:41

Best of both worlds!
0 x
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197970978425]Image[/url]

cam

Post by cam » 11 Nov 2015, 22:51

I've been playing for a couple of years solidly, on and off before that but now it's time to commit damnit! Whilst I am able to learn songs from tabs, I'm really struggling to learn scales and how to implement them, any good suggestions for learning resources?

There's some gorgeous gear in this thread so far!

Here's what I've accumulated, please excuse the carpet:

Marshall MG100DFX, Blackstar ID:Core 40:

LAG Dreadnought, Ibanez RX22 Gio, Samick Greg Bennett AV-1, Ibanez S-421 w/EMGs, Chapman Ghostfret (first run with Seymour Duncans):
0 x

GamingKen

Post by GamingKen » 12 Nov 2015, 00:01

Some nice collections added to this thread since I looked at it last!
cam wrote:I'm really struggling to learn scales and how to implement them, any good suggestions for learning resources?
I'm in much the same position as you, and sitting down to learn scales always feels a bit of a chore to me, but I definitely want to put some effort into that in the next year.
0 x

CherryRed

Post by CherryRed » 12 Nov 2015, 08:37

Mearehear wrote:Some nice collections added to this thread since I looked at it last!
cam wrote:I'm really struggling to learn scales and how to implement them, any good suggestions for learning resources?
I'm in much the same position as you, and sitting down to learn scales always feels a bit of a chore to me, but I definitely want to put some effort into that in the next year.
You guys should make a thread in the new year, and once a week upload a video of what you've been working on to encourage each other, perhaps give some pointers/tips/support to those who are new to it, etc.

Disco has been trying to learn guitar for the entire time I've known him, in fact I think we've owned about 3-4 different guitars in that time. He was doing lessons but they seem to have stopped, I think having people to share his progress with would help (as long as the more advanced players are kind to the beginners).
0 x
Mugsy wrote:
09 Oct 2018, 21:26
I was raised to not do things I wouldn't want done to myself. And that's why anal sex is off the agenda.

GamingKen

Post by GamingKen » 12 Nov 2015, 13:28

CherryRed wrote: (as long as the more advanced players are kind to the beginners).
I'm not advanced by any means, but I've always found guitarists to be very supportive/helpful and welcoming of people of any experience level. Maybe because we all remember what it was like starting out, with the pain in the fingertips and the struggling to get your fingers into a position to hold a chord. Generally, they are pretty good like that.

Learning guitar tablature is a great thing to do early on. Within a week anyone can learn how to read it easily, and then you have opened the doors on learning all sorts of songs. It's basically just 6 lines, representing the strings, and numbers along those lines to indicate the fret position of notes.

Songsterr is a great resource for learning songs through tab, and I think attempting to learn songs you enjoy makes progressing on guitar more enjoyable. Songsterr has a page showing the basics of reading guitar tablature, and their main page also categorises songs into difficulty levels (Beginner, Intermediate and Advanced). It also plays a virtual version of the song along with the guitar tab, so you can easily understand how the tab should sound in each piece.

How to read guitar tablature - http://www.songsterr.com/a/wa/howToReadTab
0 x

korbain

Post by korbain » 17 Nov 2015, 14:30

DELETE POST
Last edited by korbain on 17 Nov 2015, 14:38, edited 2 times in total.
0 x

korbain

Post by korbain » 17 Nov 2015, 14:32

DELETE
Last edited by korbain on 17 Nov 2015, 14:38, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

korbain

Post by korbain » 17 Nov 2015, 14:34

Played guitar since i was 10. Was pretty lazy at it until about 10 years ago though lol Got a cheap 5 string bass guitar as well, mainly for recording. :)

Ibanez RG7620. Got it sprayed silver and put some new dimarzio pickups in

This is a WIP. Just a strat, got it resprayed, new pick pickups, black pickguard and fitted a much better bridge to it. I still need finish soldering the pickups
Image[/quote]
Last edited by korbain on 17 Nov 2015, 14:37, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

GamingKen

Post by GamingKen » 17 Nov 2015, 14:41

Love the red and black! Suits a strat so well!
0 x