Mellie's Random Game Discussion Thread

This is where all the random stuff goes
storm84

Re: Mellie's Random Game Discussion Thread

Post by storm84 » 24 Feb 2016, 22:25

How does it compare to other puzzle games like The Talos Principle or The Swapper?
0 x

Giblet

Post by Giblet » 24 Feb 2016, 22:26

Haven't played either of them, been meaning to grab Talos when it's on sale.

Just checked my steam and apparently own The Swapper. Will have to give it a go.
0 x

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 24 Feb 2016, 23:07

Tonight was again all Fallout 4... go to Preston, get settlement mission, complete, repeat.

All my settlements are in good order now and the population is growing all over!
0 x

Mini

Post by Mini » 24 Feb 2016, 23:14

Tonight was XCom 2 and Rocket League...

I finally completed a mission I hadn't been able to do in XCom.
Had to reload from the ship and restart the mission, but then I managed to complete it with only a couple of reloads... and with 2 turns remaining.
Carrying guys sucks... And fire is awesome...

Then hit up some Rocket League and had an off night, couldn't time anything, and was missing things I should have got.
So went back to my rookie season trying to finish it off for the achievement.
Almost managed to get the Aerial goal achievement while I was at it, but some how a rookie computer player actually made a save.
Slightly pissed off at that.

No Elite tonight, and I am missing my flying, will have to hit that up tomorrow night, with hopefully new CG's :D
0 x
Proudly supporting Player Attack through Patreon

Battle.Net - MiniSanders#1895
uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 24 Feb 2016, 23:42

Yeah, just did some bounty hunting for a lazy half mil. Looking forward to getting my merits up and doing something different with the CG (provided it's in Empire space, I don't think I ever want to leave because of these bounty bonuses).
0 x

Matty

Post by Matty » 25 Feb 2016, 02:04

storm84 wrote:How does it compare to other puzzle games like The Talos Principle or The Swapper?
The Talos Principle was fantastic. It had a cool setting and a decent story but it was a really decent puzzle game. Fun at the start to very challenging at the end. The witness feels like a great setting but lacks most else. The game is super art turned up to 11, by which I mean there is a story but it's so vague and inconclusive you'll just need to make your own mind up on what's actually going on. Yahtzee sums up my thought on this better than I can
0 x
Matter of fact, I didn't even give you my coat!

storm84

Post by storm84 » 25 Feb 2016, 08:06

The Talos Principle was one of those magic games that I connected with on a deep level - so much so that I was not really for the game to be over. There's something about solving arbitrary puzzles while ruminating on the human condition that really resonated with me.

There was an XCOM 2 mission I finally beat last night that took about 2 hours of playing to beat. So many reloads and saving at the most minor progress to get through. Even with being careful, I still had to sacrifice a ranger.
1 x

Spooler

Post by Spooler » 25 Feb 2016, 17:30

Playing new order thanks to Mearehear, good god this game looks amazing.
1 x
DarkMellie wrote: I love Wang.
Disco LT wrote: Love Gaytimes
"GoN, where no one was afraid to show their love of gaytimes or wang."

jambo

Post by jambo » 25 Feb 2016, 17:32

Seems like Yahtzee missed one of the major aspects of the open world that really impressed me and others.

And I enjoy puzzle games, so I've been loving The Witness. The puzzles are genuinely well put together as well, and when you finally crack some of the harder ones it's a great feeling.

Also the whole criticism of a game for lacking in story is weird to me. I like when games focus on something and just nail it.

Just look at Devil Daggers!
0 x

GamingKen

Post by GamingKen » 25 Feb 2016, 17:53

Is anyone having any luck running GFWL on Windows 10?
0 x

Spooler

Post by Spooler » 25 Feb 2016, 19:11

I've got a couple of things to work with GFWL on win 8/10 via random googling.
0 x
DarkMellie wrote: I love Wang.
Disco LT wrote: Love Gaytimes
"GoN, where no one was afraid to show their love of gaytimes or wang."

NotThatDoug

Post by NotThatDoug » 25 Feb 2016, 23:27

Finally got my preview copy of Bear Simulator sorted, as far as the [word] Simulator games go this one has a big island to explore and some level up and exploration functions, some bear puns, it'll probably do alright as a summer sale game but I doubt I'll look at it again once I've explored most of the world.
0 x
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197970978425]Image[/url]

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 26 Feb 2016, 00:27

Bear Sim? wtf.

Deacon is the best companion ever. EVER.
0 x

GamingKen

Post by GamingKen » 26 Feb 2016, 00:54

Spooler wrote:I've got a couple of things to work with GFWL on win 8/10 via random googling.
Got it sorted in the end. Ended up being a SecuROM / Win 10 compatibility issue. Damn Operation Flashpoint Red River uses Steam+GFWL+SecuROM launcher. No wonder I was having headaches just trying to start the stupid thing.
0 x

Mini

Post by Mini » 26 Feb 2016, 08:12

After getting some random indie games in the latest Humble Bundle, I decided to give a couple a go...
So installed and started sunless seas... managed to drive round for a while, do a few quests... killed a pirate, a swarm of bats and a large crab...
Looks interesting, and the little stories you find along the way are pretty cool. So far I haven't run out of fuel or supplies yet, hopefully I can keep my ship going somewhere.

Also loaded up Elite Dangerous to attempt to complete Rank 1 of the Federation, managed to find a charity mission to pay a bit of money, and then a killing mission where I went and interdicted someone and killed them. First interdiction and it went ok... managed to complete it so that's good.
Also bought a Type 6 transporter to start doing some trading to help rank up, as most missions require a cargo space of some sort... so why not go the biggest I can afford. But I am now rank 1, just gotta keep grinding to get to rank 3 for the Dropship now.
0 x

uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 26 Feb 2016, 10:26

Sunless Sea is SUPERB, Mini! Definitely worth investing a few lives in... with careful management, you'll eventually have superior offspring and will visit some of the more interesting areas of the game.

Also realised I haven't replied to your PM, sorry! Will do so now.

I really want to try out FSD interdictions... did it take long to get hold of someone? And can you see who and what you're interdicting before you do it?

I think I'm 100% with the Federation but I think from here I have to wait for a special mission? Or is that exactly what you've talked about above?

Back to Deacon from Fallout 4. He's brilliantly entertaining. I frickin' LOVE that he wears something new every time I fast-travel. That, the constant compliments and the excellent conversation we had when I looked at his special code make him really entertaining. Freed Nick Valentine last night so I've got quite a roster of companions so far (Dogmeat, Deacon, Valentine, Curie, Nick, McCready) and am looking forward to unlocking their perks (and romancing the hell out of Piper).

So far I've had no set agenda.. for probably the first time in the modern Fallout games, I'm literally just exploring. If I am near a mission point I'll head in and have a look, but just wandering feels so right[/]. The city is an especially interesting place... moreso the doors into locations that don't mark on your map. They're the truly interesting ones.

Currently though, I'm actively seeking bobbleheads and magazines.. but I'm refusing to use any guides or the Fallout 4 book I bought with the game. I've set up a nice little viewing area with magazine rack and bobblehead display case at Sanctuary (which is my main base because The Castle just comes with way too many 'defend settlement' missions).
0 x

Mini

Post by Mini » 26 Feb 2016, 10:35

DarkMellie wrote:Sunless Sea is SUPERB, Mini! Definitely worth investing a few lives in... with careful management, you'll eventually have superior offspring and will visit some of the more interesting areas of the game.
I plan on throwing some time into it... seems like a pretty cool setting and story, have managed to not die so far, so that is a good start...
If I die do I automatically come back as one of my children? I guess I will find out when I die...
DarkMellie wrote: I really want to try out FSD interdictions... did it take long to get hold of someone? And can you see who and what you're interdicting before you do it?
Mine was part of a mission, but yes you scan the ships while they are in cruise mode and can see if they are wanted or not.
You can also see what kind of ship they are and if they are part of a wing. Hardest part is getting the interdiction to work, because it is similar to being interdicted where you need to keep on their tail.
DarkMellie wrote: I think I'm 100% with the Federation but I think from here I have to wait for a special mission? Or is that exactly what you've talked about above?
Once your rank percentage gets to 100% you go to the bulletin board and there will be multiple options for ranking up.
Usually they are given by the Federal Navy. I had to check the unavailable ones while I was in my Vulture as I didn't have any cargo space to do the missions. Once I got my Type-6 I had 2 available.
The other ones required either higher rank in exploration or combat.
Was a simple run to the station though, and it was for a measly 3 food cartridges... But I'm now a Rookie. I want rank 5 though, so I can buy the Assault Ship
0 x

uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord

NotThatDoug

Post by NotThatDoug » 26 Feb 2016, 11:04

DarkMellie wrote:Bear Sim? wtf.

It actually runs at a much better frame rate than the trailer, its been a bit of a kickstarter disaster. the guy making it didn't except it to get 100k backing and he wasn't prepared for it at all he went dead silent for a number of months, but came back admitted he fucked up and worked his ass off to get the game made. somewhere along the lines though he decided to cut back on making silly updates on kickstarter and get all serious but thats also dragged over into the games marketing a bit and thats not what people want from joke sim games.
0 x

Anon. E. Moose

Post by Anon. E. Moose » 26 Feb 2016, 11:09

DarkMellie wrote:I really want to try out FSD interdictions... did it take long to get hold of someone? And can you see who and what you're interdicting before you do it?
Depends on your flying/how maneuverable you are/the enemy is/size of your FSD, it's the exact same minigame as when you're being interdicted. You can also scan ships in supercruise the same as normal flight, your targeting HUD will show you the ship and if they're wanted or not.
DarkMellie wrote:I think I'm 100% with the Federation but I think from here I have to wait for a special mission? Or is that exactly what you've talked about above?
Yep, every time you hit a rank in Imperial/Federation you get a special mission to advance your rank, they'll appear in many Bulletin Boards in their respective territories.
0 x

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 26 Feb 2016, 11:32

I think I did see one of those assassination missions, but I find that the game doesn't give a shit what ship you're in, so I'm too worried about getting my Cobra blown up by being sent against a Python or a wing of Cobra's, etcetera.
0 x

GamingKen

Post by GamingKen » 26 Feb 2016, 21:57

So, the usual question for this time of the week. What is everyone playing over the weekend?

For me, most of my weekend is going to be spent with the gf but when I do get to play it is likely going to be more Crysis 2, with the hopes of getting it nearly finished this weekend, and a chunk of LOTR War in the North as I've discovered it is pretty damn awesome and I always like a good button mashing hack and slash romp. Also, I'll think about restarting a game of XCOM, without Ironman mode enabled this time, as I would like to actually finish it some time this year.
Last edited by GamingKen on 26 Feb 2016, 22:17, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Mini

Post by Mini » 26 Feb 2016, 22:01

Games for me will include
- Elite Dangerous
- XCom 2
- Sunless Seas
- Rocket League

I'm sure I wont achieve much in any of them... but that is what I am playing..
0 x

uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord

kharis

Post by kharis » 26 Feb 2016, 22:27

got through some xcom 2 this evening which was nice, the baddies are starting to get annoyed with me though :)
0 x

storm84

Post by storm84 » 26 Feb 2016, 22:34

Fallout 4 and XCOM 2 for me. Gradually grinding my way through both for the foreseeable future.
0 x

NotThatDoug

Post by NotThatDoug » 26 Feb 2016, 23:41

Well I was planning to watch the DotA 2 Tournament but so far its been a shambles of drop outs, audio issues and delayed games. for a $3mil tournament they've got some terrible production quality going on.

Just finished Just Cause 3 story, it wasn't bad, final boss fight glitched out on me and I just suddenly won without having done anything but it was kinda a shitty boss fight so I'm just going to take the win.

I'm also thinking about chucking a DS pokemon game in the 3DS and attemping a Nuzlocke Run for a bit of fun http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/ ... _Challenge

Probably hop on elite for a bit and should probably get back into MGS V now, although to do any good at that I'll need to unlearn everything JC3 taught me about attacking a base...
0 x