kharis

Re: Mellie's Random Game Discussion Thread

Post by kharis » 08 Mar 2016, 15:56

that game looks so good
0 x

GamingKen

Post by GamingKen » 11 Mar 2016, 22:35

So, it is that weekend time again! Whatcha all playing?

For me it is BF4 on the PS3 tonight and probably some more Pinball FX2 (got to get that score up for the forum comp). Then I have decided I will restart Outlast and finish that this weekend, as howlongtobeat.com says it takes only 5hrs on average to complete. I hated it the first time I tried to play it, back when it was released, but maybe it will be more enjoyable on the TV while curled up on the couch in a dark living room, with the volume up high! That's my plan anyway, but I could end up dabbling in a few others, such as War Thunder. :D
0 x

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 11 Mar 2016, 23:38

The Division will take up most of my time, but I reckon I'll throw in some Just Cause 3, some Dead Rising 3, and some Paradox (CK2 and EUIV).

Loooooooving the Division.
0 x

storm84

Post by storm84 » 12 Mar 2016, 11:41

Those bits of the long weekend (Canberra Day!) I'm not working, I'm planning doing my best to finish XCOM 2, then make more progress on Fallout 4. Perhaps try out SUPERHOT too if I start feeling down about my lack of progress on the fortnightly challenge.
0 x

Yurtles

Post by Yurtles » 12 Mar 2016, 13:15

Bought Stardew Valley. Never played anything like it before so I'm really not sure how it will go. Whatever else happens at least I won't have any problems with it being derivative I guess.
0 x
BorisBC wrote:Pro tip - if you have to spew in a car, spew down the (inside) front of your shirt. Trust me, it's a lot easier to clean spew off yourself than the interior of a car.

GamingKen

Post by GamingKen » 12 Mar 2016, 14:36

DarkMellie wrote:Tried out Shadowplay, beautiful little capture system. Sadly, my legit Sony Vegas 8 program doesn't recognise the MP4s and I tried WMM but jesus, what a godawful interface it has.
I remembered reading this somewhere in the thread and just had the same thing happen to me with my Sony Vegas Movie Studio HD. The solution is simple though. Install (or reinstall) Quicktime then it will (should) recognise your MP4 files. Worked perfectly for me anyway. :D
0 x

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 13 Mar 2016, 19:37

Cheers, Meare, I'll give it a go!
0 x

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 13 Mar 2016, 23:37

I'm enjoying Ubisoft's game-formula so much in The Division, that Ghost Recon Wildlands has become my most anticipated game now that Dark Souls 3 is almost here.
0 x

GamingKen

Post by GamingKen » 14 Mar 2016, 00:11

Oh, there is a new Ghost Recon coming?! The original is still one of my all time favourites!
0 x

Brewr

Post by Brewr » 14 Mar 2016, 01:17

Yurtles wrote:Bought Stardew Valley. Never played anything like it before so I'm really not sure how it will go. Whatever else happens at least I won't have any problems with it being derivative I guess.
Let us know how that goes Yurtle I havent found any good reviews on it yet but damn has it got some hype for an indie, I think mostly beacause just one dude made and it sold nearly half a million.
0 x
http://postsofpartridge.blogspot.com.au/
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561198014333343]Image[/url]

Yurtles

Post by Yurtles » 14 Mar 2016, 01:43

Well, it stole my weekend. First couple hours were a bit meh, but once you get things established and on a roll there's always something you want to do. If you want a resource management type game that'll eat up any free time you've got I'd recommend it.
1 x
BorisBC wrote:Pro tip - if you have to spew in a car, spew down the (inside) front of your shirt. Trust me, it's a lot easier to clean spew off yourself than the interior of a car.

Nekosan

Post by Nekosan » 14 Mar 2016, 02:48

Mearehear wrote:Oh, there is a new Ghost Recon coming?! The original is still one of my all time favourites!

U Wot?

How have you not seen this?

0 x
steamcommunity.com/id/krautpants

GamingKen

Post by GamingKen » 14 Mar 2016, 03:23

Sweet baby jebus, that looks awesome! I hadn't heard a single thing about it thus far. It's games like this that might encourage me to step up to a new console. Cheers for posting the vid!
0 x

GamingKen

Post by GamingKen » 14 Mar 2016, 16:29

Nearly finished Sonic Generations. Man, platformers sure do make me swear a lot! Great game though!

I've had Dead Space (1) and Dead Space 3 sitting in my Origin account for sometime now, but I've never played them. Watched an old Good Game review of DS3 and it encouraged me to install it to see what it's like. I was pretty impressed after a little bit of play, so I decided to install the original to complete first, and then I will pick up the second so that I can play all three. Looking forward to getting into them all once I have finished off a couple of others I am already playing.

War Thunder has definitely grabbed my interest, as a multiplayer game I can keep installed and jump in and out of whenever the mood hits. The air combat is really quite beautiful at times. I got distracted in a battle yesterday as I watched a plane fall gracefully out of the sky until it burst into a nice explosion on impact. It made me forget what I was meant to be doing and I found myself fixated upon it. I wasn't sure how I would like the tanks compared to WoT but I think they are growing on me enough that I might even prefer it over WoT.

As I mentioned in the 26 game challenge thread, I finished Outlast on the weekend. What I will take from that experience is the realisation that I never again want to play a game that focuses so much of its progression on locked doors and finding keys (or whatever item is needed). It's boring, old and completely uninspired. That pretty much rules out me ever going back to Resident Evil Revelations, but I considered that to be a locked door simulator anyway...

Still chipping away at my backlog of games. Most are getting on in years now, but gosh it is a bit shameful how long I have let some truly great games sit around untouched! I'm now making use of howlongtobeat.com to trrack my backlog and list my completions. I think the 26 game challenge thread inspired me to that, and that site helps keep me focused (though it's UI is a bit of a clusterfuck until you understand how it works).
0 x

Ralph Wiggum

Post by Ralph Wiggum » 14 Mar 2016, 17:05

I tried Dead Space 1. Shat my pants, never went back. It'll be on my "unlikely to play" list with Dead Space 2 & 3.
1 x
RIP Games.On.Net.

Mini

Post by Mini » 14 Mar 2016, 17:25

Started Dirt Showdown as the latest racing game in my backlog to complete, and enjoying it so far.

Looks like I should be able to get the Pro level done tonight...

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk
0 x
Proudly supporting Player Attack through Patreon

Battle.Net - MiniSanders#1895
uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord

GamingKen

Post by GamingKen » 14 Mar 2016, 18:34

Ralph Wiggum wrote:I tried Dead Space 1. Shat my pants, never went back. It'll be on my "unlikely to play" list with Dead Space 2 & 3.
Ha! Maybe I will play it with the lights on then. :shock:

My first impression of it is that it's very brown. WTF were game devs thinking during those years?! :eh:
0 x

Nekosan

Post by Nekosan » 14 Mar 2016, 19:33

Ralph Wiggum wrote:I tried Dead Space 1. Shat my pants, never went back. It'll be on my "unlikely to play" list with Dead Space 2 & 3.

I'm one of those people who loves the concept of horror games more than the games themselves, jumpscares just piss me off because of the way they build the suspense. Amnesia is the only scary game I ever really liked and I had to stop playing that after i quit a 4 hour session and realized my heart rate had been astronomical for way longer than is healthy.

I have 4-5 scaryish games in my steam library that ive played about 30 mins of each. :lol:
0 x
steamcommunity.com/id/krautpants

storm84

Post by storm84 » 14 Mar 2016, 19:36

I never seem to be able to work myself into the mood to play through Dead Space. Keep installing it, even playing through the intro, then other games seem more enticing.
0 x

Anon. E. Moose

Post by Anon. E. Moose » 14 Mar 2016, 19:49

DS1 is great and has one of my favourite game UI ever, even though it's really consolised, it works really well in giving you the info you need in a very minimalistic way.
0 x

Brewr

Post by Brewr » 14 Mar 2016, 21:26

TLDR: I didnt really like Dead Space 2

Dead Space 2 was just one long lonesome walk for me unfortunately.
This game gets its acclaim from its looks they are super slick and the sound is brillaint as well. The story is essentially AAA you start at A walk on treadmill for 18hrs to A then the Apocalypse happens. The plot is light: I woke up with amnesia in a space station where everything was going to hell, a worthwhile premise at-least.
Reality is at times smudged to make way for some very abstract level design and npc's one strong example is the baby humans crossed with banelings (a dare between the developers a fucking dare, this is game design for you ppl) in a day care that looked to be borrowed from the set of Stephen Kings It. This only serves to make for a creepier rather than a scarier game which reminds me the fatalities. They do a lot of gruesome deaths for you when you die and the other cut-scenes as-well are great but I found the ones showing me dying tedious, a distraction and well off putting erring on sadism that I am hoping was a misguided.
0 x
http://postsofpartridge.blogspot.com.au/
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561198014333343]Image[/url]

NotThatDoug

Post by NotThatDoug » 15 Mar 2016, 00:09

I hate horror games personally because I am a wuss but I forced myself to play Dead Space 1. Until I got to the damn asteroids section and rage quit. Never been back

Playing Fire Emblem Awakening now that I'm on my 3DS again for the foreseeable future, its such a great turn based game, although I need to sort out my inventory a bit better, playing without permadeath on because I'm just casually playing it so there are definitely some characters that are getting left behind in levels.
0 x
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197970978425]Image[/url]

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 15 Mar 2016, 00:19

Anon. E. Moose wrote:DS1 is great and has one of my favourite game UI ever, even though it's really consolised, it works really well in giving you the info you need in a very minimalistic way.
Was going to say absolutely that. The 'HUD' in DS is as good as if not better than anything else ever made. Big fan of the series although 3 went off the deep end a little. One thing that always bugged me about DS was the very first mission sequence, where a big choppy-thing chases Isaac into a lift... he utters a mere "aaah" and then goes on about his business. Give me a horror-based game where the lead character utterly loses his shit.. give me the defecating and yelling, the pleading to the gods, the pant-wetting, teary-eye blurred terror that would accompany such events. Stop giving me macho dudes who can shake absolutely anything off.

I quite liked 2 but I've also really enjoyed the narrative of DS1 and, to 3's credit, they really do develop the story right up to the end.

In other news, thanks to non-Telstra Tasmanian customers being utterly fucking throttled because our under-sea fibre-optic cable is currently switched off, I couldn't get onto The Division all night. This actually turned out to be a good thing because it meant I was playing Far Cry Primal.

In Primal, I'd only gone as far as completing the warm-up missions and a few ambient 'things'. Tonight though, I did a bunch of main missions, unlocked all/most equipment and captured a few camps and bonfires. Totally worth it. Yes, it's that same Ubi-formula (which I've been addicted to since the first Assassin's Creed) but the Primal edge is really worthwhile as its own game. Lots of walking, lots of taming wild animals, lots of owl-scouting, and it all really comes across as quite authentic (made-up language not included). I even turned the mini-map and in-game markers off for a while and I felt a real sense of place.

Tamed me a cave lion, bear and rare black leopard... excellent companions and they all like a pat now and then :D
0 x

Spooler

Post by Spooler » 15 Mar 2016, 00:24

I got bored of deadspace like ... 10 minutes into it
0 x
DarkMellie wrote: I love Wang.
Disco LT wrote: Love Gaytimes
"GoN, where no one was afraid to show their love of gaytimes or wang."

Yurtles

Post by Yurtles » 15 Mar 2016, 09:58

First Dead Space had a bug early on where to get through an invisible blockage in a doorway I had to force V-sync in my external Nvidia graphics settings and I couldn't be arsed mucking about with things like that just to make the game work like it should. Gave up on it as a bad port and moved on.
0 x