Mellie's Random Game Discussion Thread

This is where all the random stuff goes
storm84

Re: Mellie's Random Game Discussion Thread

Post by storm84 » 31 Dec 2016, 19:10

I went the other way. Shadow of Mordor was fun and engaging, while Mad Max was tedious and pointless.
0 x

URAUC

Post by URAUC » 31 Dec 2016, 19:21

I think both of those games were great.
1 x

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 31 Dec 2016, 19:46

I wouldn't say better given how popular SoM was... but it's still a good game with some cool ideas (minor camera irritations aside). Also cool to have Chumbucket in the back of Max's car using the same rhythmic language from Fury Road.
0 x

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 01 Jan 2017, 12:38

Max is amazing... just opened up the second stronghold and completed the body of a new car. Very much an Ubisoft formula game (though not made by Ubi, actually made by the guys that do JustCause)... Unlocking, upgrading, quick flurries of combat followed by scenic tours... feelin' it.
0 x

Matty

Post by Matty » 01 Jan 2017, 21:30

Sathias wrote:I liked Shadow of Mordor :o Is Mad Max really better? I've bought it but never downloaded/played :P
I got bored of Mad Max after about 3 hours, but I've finished SoM twice. I'm opposite, I think Mad max is like SoM/Batman but shit. YMMV :P
1 x
Matter of fact, I didn't even give you my coat!

NotThatDoug

Post by NotThatDoug » 01 Jan 2017, 21:56

Mad Max didna great job of making you feel like you were alone Ina barren wasteland. Unfortunately it made for a pretty lame game world.

I've lost both my Overwatch and Rocket League mojo this weekend. Might just take a break from those games until after our next Perth trip.
0 x
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197970978425]Image[/url]

storm84

Post by storm84 » 01 Jan 2017, 22:43

Matty wrote:I got bored of Mad Max after about 3 hours, but I've finished SoM twice. I'm opposite, I think Mad max is like SoM/Batman but shit. YMMV :P
Agreed with that, though I ended up playing Mad Max all the way through. Arkham Asylum and SoM had enough in them to keep them interesting throughout the game, but Mad Max seemed to lack anything to justify the size / scope of the game. Felt like a grind to get to the end.

Can't stop playing Rocket League. I'd uninstall it, but I'd just reinstall it again.
0 x

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 01 Jan 2017, 23:56

Welp, 7 hours added in the last few days and still haven't had enough. I think it nails 'post-apocalyptic' in just about every way. The landscape itself, definitely, really puts me in the right place mentally... broken down diners, broken boats, repurposed concrete silos. Then it's the cars, the crazed meldings of metal piloted by lunatics. But then it's even the little things... the collectibles are incredible; the pictures themselves, the way the image is degraded and the way the words are written on them, truly adds to a sense of otherworldliness. Throw in Chumbucket's rambling and the constant smoke and explosions and I'm constantly sold... although some of the side roles (particularly Wanderers in the wasteland) are really poorly voiced, actors given gorgeous blocks of words and then completely muntering the delivery.

Freed Pink-Eye tonight after clearing the Jaws, can't wait to head back in tomorrow for whatever's next!
0 x

Mini

Post by Mini » 02 Jan 2017, 00:10

Damn Factorio and Rocket League, don't think I have played anything else recently, and loving both!!

Managed to get myself back to Challenger 1 for doubles and Challenger 2 for Standard (3's), but mostly having fun with being able to do aerials again. The break between games means I lost the little bit of aerial skill that I had gained, slowly getting it back again.

And Factorio... wow what a time sink that is, but so much fun, slowly getting through the ideas and how they all go together, and trying to make a factory that is easy to navigate and gets stuff around. Started again because I didn't like my setup, and new one is slightly better laid out, can see some changes that will need to be done, but can't fix that now without more resources
0 x
Proudly supporting Player Attack through Patreon

Battle.Net - MiniSanders#1895
uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord

Stoibs

Post by Stoibs » 02 Jan 2017, 06:52

Had Mad Max on my Backlog since about a year and a half now. I should really get around to finishing that off, or even playing it for a start. Maybe I'll make that a goal for the 2017 'complete a game a fortnight' thing.

I only remember the horrible mouse acceleration and far-too narrow FoV from Shadow of Mordor from the ~20 minutes or so I played of that also, wonder if that was ever fixed.. might be tempted to play through both of these this year.
0 x

storm84

Post by storm84 » 02 Jan 2017, 10:01

I uninstalled Rocket League. Lets see how long that lasts...
0 x

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 02 Jan 2017, 15:59

Good luck! If you enjoy it though, why are you uninstalling it?

Played much more SOMA yet, Storm?
-----

Beat my first TopDog in Mad Max... disgracefully easy fight but still, good to get some progression going (I have about 5k scrap to spend). Also just finished the Surveyor's table in the first stronghold which immediately lights up all scavenger points... which in turn now makes it a billion times easier to find all the required parts for the various projects. The random introduction of extra grinding plus the stupidly unskippable animations for everything no doubt greatly harmed this game's reputation.

Reinstalling Shadow of Mordor just 'cause y'all are such big fans. I don't know that I'll ever like it but I'm determined to try. For me, the combat was actually crazy hard and I would just die over and over and therefore more Orcs would become more powerful and then I had no fucking idea what to do next. I'm already feeling angry just writing about it but let's see how it goes... after all, I still recall returning Dark Souls when I first bought it, and I remember playing DCS Black Shark and just staring at the cockpit for 5 minutes before uninstalling.
0 x

storm84

Post by storm84 » 02 Jan 2017, 17:34

In think part of the problem is that it's an easy time-waster for me. I don't have to think much about it, which means I can just jump on and play. Similar to Candy Crush on that respect, but without the "pay to play" breaks Candy Crush has.

So that to me is the problem. I can 'just play' Rocket League, so I end up playing it instead of something else. I'm hoping that by doing this, I'll stop putting off getting my code compiling, or playing other games like SOMA - which I haven't touched for nearly a week.
0 x

GamingKen

Post by GamingKen » 02 Jan 2017, 19:00

I got the same way with Rocket League awhile back. Great game, but it did steal a lot of my time without me even thinking about it. 300+ hours in 2016. I'm kinda doing the same with TrackMania Turbo now though; Canyon Drift is such fun to drive and the only thing that really gets players online. It's one of just 3 games I have installed currently (the others being Minecraft and Darksiders II Deathinitive Edition). In fact, I don't even have a single Steam game currently installed :shock:
0 x

Mini

Post by Mini » 03 Jan 2017, 12:25

Went achievement whoring with Rocket League over the last few days. Now have 100% of the achievements...
Also god damn Factorio, still losing hours to that game... Thanks Secret Santa for that one
1 x
Proudly supporting Player Attack through Patreon

Battle.Net - MiniSanders#1895
uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 03 Jan 2017, 12:46

Outstanding work, Mini!! There is a LOT of achievements in RL so that's very impressive.

I'm a little bit fatigued with Mad Max.. loved the time I've put into it but looking at the map there is so much more to do. I've only coloured in the bottom half of the map with a mere two provinces (out of god knows, maybe 20+) showing a zero threat level. Thinking I might try and follow the main missions given how substantially I've levelled Max and his car.

Jumped back into SoM and by christ my hands were aching after just half an hour of never-ending Orc battles. They seriously just keep coming and coming. I have no idea who I should be hunting down from the Sauron's Army screen or how quickly people get replaced when killed and on and on... there's a LOT of systems in play.
0 x

Anon. E. Moose

Post by Anon. E. Moose » 03 Jan 2017, 12:57

SoM isn't a combat game, it's a stealth game. If you stand there and fight you're going to get overwhelmed by orcs pretty quickly. Keep running, break lines of sight and use the stealth to pick people off before you commit to a big fight.

Also sign me up for the SoM > Mad Max club. Finished SoM in a weekend and I never got around to finishing Mad Max.
0 x

MuscularTeeth

Post by MuscularTeeth » 03 Jan 2017, 13:41

im on holidays for a bit so i get to play games. my wife at work some days so its daddy day care here on some days.

So i been getting back into the old Point N Click adventure games if im inside with the girls on this laptop.
finished PRIMORDIA a few days ago, now onto SHARDLIGHT.
good stories. good fun. probably do technobabylon next. good value on the steam sales, i think around $2 each

DARK SOULS 3 is hell fun. also a steam sale purchase . I managed to get my cousin who lives in indonesia to join me and help my new char out. we managed to play for 30mins before some one appeared and killed my cousin, and i fought him off until he dissapeared. need my umber so we can try that again. but i think im enjoying this more than DS1 (whch i have on pc) and DS2 (which i have on xbox). just a more fluid feeling game, and i didnt like the enemies dissapearing in ds2.

VR - fucking hell, its not playing on a computer any more. its playing IN a computer .
recent new playthings;
ELITE dangerous is amazing experience, flying your own space ship. im terrible at that game, but golly its amazing.
HOT DOGS HORSESHOES + HANDGRENADES. - its like being given access to a real gun range with a massive variety of weapons to try out. still cant work out how to fire half the guns. everything is super realistic - from loading magazines, to pulling back the bolt, turning safety off, putting individual cartriges into a shottie etc. very much an eye opener on how real guns work.
FINAL APPROACH PILOT EDITION. suprising fun, running your own airport in VR. get to fly the little planes around. very cute but actually hard too.
RECROOM. -free to play Multiplayer VR game. play paintball, gravity free tennis, a basket ball court and much more. first time i played was quite late, and i met a californian 8 year old who took me around. the Vive has a mic incorporated into it so talking was seemless and very fun. we then had a japanese guy join us, and then some other american all just messing around for an hour. throwing frisbees to one another, playing darts, all of us on one side in paintball. most social game ive ever played, and yes - again, amazing experience.
AUDIOSHIELD - music driven game. block blue and redballs in time with the music YOU CHOOSE. you have a blue and red shield. block each ball with the right shield. sometimes purple balls appear, block with both shields. simple, but JEESUS what a game. very party atmosphere, have a song - swap to someone else for a turn. really good work out.
SVRVIVE - a story driven puzzle type game. ive been in a dark appartment, some alien planet about to die from a huge comet.. its meant to be about 5 hours woth of content, done 2missions in an hour or so.. feel like a inter-universe agent.
RAW DATA. Fight robots coming at you! use a gun or sword. some robots have lasers, some swords, some use their hands, some fly.. manic. fun, but a little scary.
Gnomes and Goblins demo - delightful. like being in the middle of a fairy forest. only a short demo, maybe 10mins at most, but one of the most beautiful immersive games ive tried. my daughter LOVES this. find fallen acorns and give them to little gnomes who run off with them...
DESTINATION. well... I WAS ON MARS! they used all the mars rover images to make a 3d landscape you can move around.
its probably around the size of a good sized backyard. look at the marsrover from all angles. its very moving to feel one standing on mars, checking the horizon out, or where the sand dunes meet the rock. cant wait to show my dad this one.
TILT BRUSH - Art! in 3D! really fun. wish they had a few more brushes; a wire/cable one would be ideal. i use a christmas tree light cable thing to create solid wire frame shapes, then paint over them with a paper effect. made a giant bug and a reindeer so far...some of the brush lines can be made to quiver to the music beat or change colours in time with the music if you have music on.
1 x

storm84

Post by storm84 » 03 Jan 2017, 14:48

Anon. E. Moose wrote:SoM isn't a combat game, it's a stealth game. If you stand there and fight you're going to get overwhelmed by orcs pretty quickly. Keep running, break lines of sight and use the stealth to pick people off before you commit to a big fight.
Yeah, that was the best thing about SoM (Arkham Asylum too) was how well the stealth worked. Was so much fun just to hunt down the orcs, so much so that after about 25 hours of doing that, I had to consciously pull myself away from doing that to advance the story.

I think there were two general problems with Max Max for me. The first was the task-based opening of the world. Made any advancement feel like a chore rather than something that organically happened with the game. Pull down towers, clear out bases, etc. The second was that the two main facets of the game were both kind of generic and uninspiring. Driving anywhere became a chore because of how many times cars would spawn just to attack (and driving was how to navigate the world), while the combat was a pretty generic brawl-em-up with the only interesting thing being the occasional use of shotgun.

The one thing that really shitted me off about Mad Max was those missions that could only happen at night, yet there was no real way to advance time to make them happen. To do the penultimate mission, I think it took me about 3-5 hours of driving around until finally it became night and the mission could begin. What a really crappy design!
1 x

Matty

Post by Matty » 03 Jan 2017, 19:30

StarWars version of SoM pls.
1 x
Matter of fact, I didn't even give you my coat!

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 03 Jan 2017, 19:54

Anon. E. Moose wrote:SoM isn't a combat game, it's a stealth game. If you stand there and fight you're going to get overwhelmed by orcs pretty quickly. Keep running, break lines of sight and use the stealth to pick people off before you commit to a big fight.
Problem there is I've done that, and run so far that the Orc I was fighting claims victory and grows stronger!
0 x

Kendrite

Post by Kendrite » 03 Jan 2017, 20:15

DarkMellie wrote:
Problem there is I've done that, and run so far that the Orc I was fighting claims victory and grows stronger!
I'm similar, granted I've only put 13 hours into it and I can see why it might appeal but it's been sitting waiting for me to come back to it for about 4 months - and I don't feel inclined to. Not saying it's a bad game but didn't work for me (though I wanted it to).
0 x

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 03 Jan 2017, 23:39

Put a few hours into SoM tonight, killed a few bosses, had some fun. Goddamn it can get tough though.

Also, Trove on the Xbox One. F2P. It's a voxel-based MMO that's cute as hell, made by Trion Worlds. Really feels like it came out of nowhere.
0 x

Nekosan

Post by Nekosan » 04 Jan 2017, 00:54

DarkMellie wrote:Put a few hours into SoM tonight, killed a few bosses, had some fun. Goddamn it can get tough though.

Also, Trove on the Xbox One. F2P. It's a voxel-based MMO that's cute as hell, made by Trion Worlds. Really feels like it came out of nowhere.

Pretty sure its on steam too and has been for years.
0 x
steamcommunity.com/id/krautpants

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 04 Jan 2017, 08:57

Yeah, 2015 release date. Still hadn't heard of it until last night!
0 x