Mellie's Random Game Discussion Thread

This is where all the random stuff goes
Sathias

Re: Mellie's Random Game Discussion Thread

Post by Sathias » 27 Jan 2017, 09:25

Playing Long War 2 on Normal (lowest difficulty) Ironman seems to be the go for my current level of skill... The timers have enough leeway to take a few extra rounds here and there, but if I stuff up the ramifications hurt.
0 x
"Put the damn gun down, boy. It aint no toy." - Lite

Stoibs

Post by Stoibs » 27 Jan 2017, 09:40

Beautiful Desolation?
Eh, it's more of an adventure game like Stasis and Cayne I thought, rather than an RPG.

I've discovered that I've become incredibly bad at those things lately. I never finished Stasis and needed the walkthrough for Cayne.
I passed on that one.

Pillars 2 and Apocalypse Now is what I fed my wallet in terms of crowdfunding at the moment.
0 x

storm84

Post by storm84 » 27 Jan 2017, 09:43

Yeah, that's the one.

Not really sure about the Apocalypse Now game. Loved the movie, but I'm really not sure how it would translate into a survival horror. Wish they'd shown off more of the prototype in their sales pitch.
0 x

Stoibs

Post by Stoibs » 27 Jan 2017, 09:52

Yeah, truth be told I'm not sure they'll make the goal by next month anyway.
Didn't get a great day one push or amount.

Interesting concept but lack of anything concrete to showcase isn't a great way to pitch a project.
0 x

jambo

Post by jambo » 27 Jan 2017, 10:33

Played some Drawful 2 and Tee K.O. yesterday during out Hottest 100 party.

Tee K.O. started off kinda weird, with no one really knowing what would happen, but once the designs and slogans were put together we were fucking losing it at some of the combinations.

Also Drawful is still a wonderful game.
0 x

Anon. E. Moose

Post by Anon. E. Moose » 27 Jan 2017, 12:42

If anyone is still waiting to see if they've been accepted into the Ghost Recon: Wildlands beta, go to http://ghost-recon.ubisoft.com/wildland ... index.aspx and when it asks for a code, put in DM8ZV6ANRJ6U and you'll get instantly accepted.

After spending ages waiting, I did this early this morning and was accepted right away.
0 x

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 27 Jan 2017, 13:15

Bugger, that code has 'reached its redemption limit'.

No code sent to my email either. Out of luck!
0 x

Anon. E. Moose

Post by Anon. E. Moose » 30 Jan 2017, 11:11

I started playing Assassin's Creed: Unity yesterday morning after grabbing an Xbone key for just under $2.

The last AC game I finished was Black Flag a couple of years ago and while that was an amazing fresh AC game, it's kind of nice to be back in gorgeously designed sprawling cities. The combat feels clunkier than I remember but the revised free-running is niiiiice, feels so fluid and 99% of the time the character goes exactly where I planned on going.

I'm assuming most of the technical launch issues I remember hearing about have been ironed out? The game seems to run smooth enough given how much is on screen at any time (Seriously, the amount of civilian NPCs on screen at any one time rioting in the streets of Paris is astounding) but it's also the first game I've played on my Xbone where a 30fps cap is very noticeable, especially during cutscenes.

I'm really enjoying it so far though, up to my first main assassination and it's given me several options on how I can tackle it so that's cool. If Syndicate was meant to be a huge improvement over Unity, then I think I'll be in for a good treat once I finish this and eventually buy Syndicate.
0 x

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 30 Jan 2017, 13:34

Unity was good, I got right up to the last boss and ran out of shits to give for the fairly lengthy and complicated final mission. Gorgeous gameworld though (I prefer it to the industrialised landscape of Syndicate).

Played Resident Evil 7 last night with my brother watching me (lights off, brightness turned right down). He wasn't even playing and he was terrified, reckons playing Res7 is similar to paying someone to torture you! Decided to do an Easy run though as I'm not here for the challenge, just for the atmosphere, was able to whip through the opening guest-house and main-house levels in well under an hour. Once you know where everything is, it's so much easier to play as just a simple puzzle game.
0 x

Ralph Wiggum

Post by Ralph Wiggum » 30 Jan 2017, 14:19

I got AC Unity as a $9 special at EB recently, just finishing up some other games before I give it a crack. Nice to hear it seems ok so far, I've been a fan of the series though disliked AC3 and Black Flag was also my last foray.
0 x
RIP Games.On.Net.

MuscularTeeth

Post by MuscularTeeth » 30 Jan 2017, 16:21

DarkMellie wrote:Unity was good, I got right up to the last boss and ran out of shits to give for the fairly lengthy and complicated final mission. Gorgeous gameworld though (I prefer it to the industrialised landscape of Syndicate).

Played Resident Evil 7 last night with my brother watching me (lights off, brightness turned right down). He wasn't even playing and he was terrified, reckons playing Res7 is similar to paying someone to torture you! Decided to do an Easy run though as I'm not here for the challenge, just for the atmosphere, was able to whip through the opening guest-house and main-house levels in well under an hour. Once you know where everything is, it's so much easier to play as just a simple puzzle game.
steam puts it in the VR game list, but i dont see support for it.
someone in the comments mentioned it will become available in VR in a years time for some arcane reason.

that does look like a pretty darn scary game, and probably 1000% moreso in VR.
0 x

Anon. E. Moose

Post by Anon. E. Moose » 30 Jan 2017, 16:59

RE7 VR is a Sony exclusive for 12 months, and then it'll get released on all VR platforms.

Seems kinda stupid for Steam to advertise it as VR now though
0 x

linxus

Post by linxus » 30 Jan 2017, 17:13

Steam has a vested interest in keeping VR alive for PC :P
0 x
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197975825451]Image[/url]

Matty

Post by Matty » 30 Jan 2017, 18:57

Anon. E. Moose wrote:The combat feels clunkier than I remember
Yeah, that's exactly how I felt with Unity. It was fine in 4 mostly. It was enjoyable mostly, the only thing I disliked was those weird portal sequences.
0 x
Matter of fact, I didn't even give you my coat!

NotThatDoug

Post by NotThatDoug » 30 Jan 2017, 19:19

Been enjoying the GameCube that I picked up yesterday. Maybe it's because I skipped that entire console generation so I'm not hacing nostalgia goggles ruined, but I'm amazed how well everything holds up, obviously Mario Kart Double Dash can't hold a candle graphics wise to Mario Kart 8, but it still looks pretty good. Rogue Leader is good fun, but the music just seems off, I'm guessing they have redone the original score and it just doesn't have any soul. The only experience I have with Mario Sunshine is Watching the GameGumps play it and speed runs of it at Games Done Quick events. I've always like the, reusing the same level but with a different objective for every, Star/Shine/whatever they get in Mario Galaxy.

Might look for Metroid Prime and Time Splitters that was recommended on the discord chat, see what else looks fun online.
0 x
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197970978425]Image[/url]

Sathias

Post by Sathias » 30 Jan 2017, 19:20

Matty wrote:
Yeah, that's exactly how I felt with Unity. It was fine in 4 mostly. It was enjoyable mostly, the only thing I disliked was those weird portal sequences.
This is something people have been saying about the AC games since the start. I'm amazed they stuck with the concept rather than just opting for an action game set in a period setting.
0 x

Sathias

Post by Sathias » 30 Jan 2017, 19:39

:dance:
0 x

Nekosan

Post by Nekosan » 31 Jan 2017, 03:36

Sathias wrote:
Matty wrote:
This is something people have been saying about the AC games since the start. I'm amazed they stuck with the concept rather than just opting for an action game set in a period setting.

It's what has always stopped me really getting into the games, i get the shits with all the weird loading and animus bullshit and excessive historical shit popping up in their terrible menus. Just give me a god damn game set in the period and stoop shoehorning in stupid plots that dont need to be there, the entire concept is silly and just ruins what would otherwise be immersive games.
1 x
steamcommunity.com/id/krautpants

Sathias

Post by Sathias » 31 Jan 2017, 06:57

^ totally

I like AC4 because of the open-world pirate aspect, but the Animus stuff is annoying.
0 x

Stoibs

Post by Stoibs » 31 Jan 2017, 07:52

Opposite for me.
I loved the overarching meta story involving Absertgo and the Animus, the whole Desmond lineage etc.

Popping out and conversing with Shaun and co, finding all the extra easter eggs and hidden details about the world lore and the whole globe trotting adventure thing to seek out various artifacts were great. I Liked the few times Desmond got to use what he had learnt from the bleeding effect in the real world, and the games really felt like they were building up to an eventual modern day AC game.
Was saddened when it came to a rather anticlimactic ending in AC3, and from then on the real-world implementation has been quite lacking or nonexistent, putting you in control of a nameless, faceless entity that isn't anywhere near as interesting as the first few games were :thumbdown:
Sigh.
0 x

Sathias

Post by Sathias » 31 Jan 2017, 11:41

Looks like Good Game is cactus

0 x

kharis

Post by kharis » 31 Jan 2017, 12:09

nice little slot for player attack to slide into should they have the inclination :)
0 x

Ralph Wiggum

Post by Ralph Wiggum » 31 Jan 2017, 12:09

Stoibs wrote:Opposite for me.
I loved the overarching meta story involving Absertgo and the Animus, the whole Desmond lineage etc.

Popping out and conversing with Shaun and co, finding all the extra easter eggs and hidden details about the world lore and the whole globe trotting adventure thing to seek out various artifacts were great. I Liked the few times Desmond got to use what he had learnt from the bleeding effect in the real world, and the games really felt like they were building up to an eventual modern day AC game.
Was saddened when it came to a rather anticlimactic ending in AC3, and from then on the real-world implementation has been quite lacking or nonexistent, putting you in control of a nameless, faceless entity that isn't anywhere near as interesting as the first few games were :thumbdown:
Sigh.
+1 for me. It was a novel idea that brought something new to the table, rather than just another period game with nothing linking the games together. I loved the part in AC Brotherhood how Desmond goes back to the ruins of Villa Auditore.

BUT, the Desmond storyline dragged on a little bit longer than I would've liked and by AC3 I honestly forgot what the whole business was with Juno, the end of the world, etc etc.

And yeah, the game programmer protagonist was a bit of a WTF moment.
0 x
RIP Games.On.Net.

NotThatDoug

Post by NotThatDoug » 31 Jan 2017, 12:14

:( RIP Good Game, Bajo Goose and Rad are still going to be doing spawn point so I assume it's Hex and Nich from their YouTube show who have left. Probably the only show I've watched on free to air television that isn't sport in the last 5 years.

Everyone on the good game Pocket facebook community is upset about losing an Australian gaming channel on YouTube hopefully they will find and support Player Attack on YouTube...
Last edited by NotThatDoug on 31 Jan 2017, 12:57, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197970978425]Image[/url]

jambo

Post by jambo » 31 Jan 2017, 12:26

So from reading various FB and Twitter posts and statements, it sounds like Hex and NichBoy chose to move on, but wanted GG and Pocket to continue.

Then instead of trying, the ABC just decided to cancel them all, aside from Spawn Point.

Most of the production team have already been re-assigned and aren't very happy.
0 x