Mellie's Random Game Discussion Thread

This is where all the random stuff goes
Disco

Re: Mellie's Random Game Discussion Thread

Post by Disco » 01 Jun 2017, 12:21

You could always offer to write for PA Mellie?
0 x
Nekosan wrote:
29 Mar 2018, 00:36
Disco is fkn banned from the flamethrower. :lol:

MuscularTeeth

Post by MuscularTeeth » 01 Jun 2017, 17:42

listen to disco, you'd probably be able to do a few good write ups.
why rimworld has not been looked at by you i dont understand. its all storytelling unfolding.

you write so well, ive bought numerous games based on your descriptions you bastard.
0 x

storm84

Post by storm84 » 01 Jun 2017, 19:43

It's so silly, but I can't stop playing today's Google Doodle. Top score of 317 so far.
0 x

Mini

Post by Mini » 01 Jun 2017, 19:50

I'm blaming you for lost normal gaming time tonight :D
0 x
Proudly supporting Player Attack through Patreon

Battle.Net - MiniSanders#1895
uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 01 Jun 2017, 20:06

Cheers Disco... the challenging thing about writing in the past was having to play the one game for days in a row and then spend days thinking about it. I have late-stage ADHD now it seems, way too hard to give that level of attetion again :D
MuscularTeeth wrote:
01 Jun 2017, 17:42
listen to disco, you'd probably be able to do a few good write ups.
why rimworld has not been looked at by you i dont understand. its all storytelling unfolding.

you write so well, ive bought numerous games based on your descriptions you bastard.
I wrote about it earlier in this thread, MT!

Great game and you're right, LOVED the stories, I guess I just got a bit bored at the point that I realised I needed to do so much basebuilding. Having said that, I might play a bit tonight and see what happens!
0 x

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 01 Jun 2017, 23:54

A mate, big racing fan, is playing DiRT 4 on Steam. Right now. The bastard.

I ask him... "is it as good as DiRT Rally?"

"Better" he says.

O.o
0 x

MuscularTeeth

Post by MuscularTeeth » 02 Jun 2017, 09:24

damn, ... i too want dirt 4.
0 x

storm84

Post by storm84 » 02 Jun 2017, 09:51

After 25 hours on Dirt Rally, I'm starting to think I don't have the right temperament for pure racing games. I used to play a bit of F1 2010, but ended up giving up because I don't have that ability to match the enthusiasm with the relentless practice those games need to be good at them. I trend to get more frustrated then anything else.
0 x

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 02 Jun 2017, 14:52

Kel, you might actually like iRacing for a month or two. One of the problems with racing games is that they don't scale... you get all the cars and all the tracks and that can actually slow your growth.

MELLIE'S GUIDE TO SUCKING EGGS

The first mantra to keep in mind is 'go slow to get fast'. This is all about doing consistent easy laps and slowly building your pace. This is different from arcade games where you can thrash every corner, because when you're simming the pace is actually in how well you hit your corner apex's. In fact, the second key piece of info that has stuck with me forever was that you aren't braking to slow down for a corner, you're simply using the brake to help you get the fastest speed through the corner... that stick point of grip where your tyres maintain traction and keep converting engine power into speed.

So why iRacing? iRacing has license levels and no matter how much content you own, you can only race official multiplayer races within your license bandwidth. WHen I did this it wasin the little mazdas. They were slow, but it was through lap after lap of looking at my delta times, figuring out which corner of the two official season tracks I needed to work on that I got better and better. My first race win in the Mazdas is a story I can still tell you today (but there's only so much I can type in this 5 minute interstitial between meetings).

That... skill, I guess you could call it, then translated over into the F1 series, into PCars, Assetto Corsa. Not by any means saying I'm a good sim driver, but I have a strong grasp on the basics so that I can be the best driver I can be.

There are usually deals around the place for your first month of iRacing... at the worst, you'd be spending maybe $15 for two months of the opportunity to really grow your online racing skill in what is, in my mind, the best policed, fairest driving simulation ever made.

On a closing note... I'm going to thrash the fucking guts out of DiRT 4 and will be a PC title... sacrificing that gamerscore for my steering wheel.
Last edited by DarkMellie on 02 Jun 2017, 15:19, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Disco

Post by Disco » 02 Jun 2017, 15:00

I tried iRacing when I had my wheel, great fun but it seemed like no matter what I did I'd still spin out on every corner
0 x
Nekosan wrote:

storm84

Post by storm84 » 02 Jun 2017, 15:22

I really struggle with the 'go slow to go fast' approach. I know it's sensible, but there's always part of me that tries to push as hard as I can when I know it's safe, which then leads me to make a mistake.

I'll try over the next few days to take that approach with the Clubman championship in Dirt Rally. Maybe if I can get through a few races without needing to 'Save and Quit', then I might be able up build on it.
0 x

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 02 Jun 2017, 15:26

They have excellent video classes, but honestly if you just Tab a few times to bring up your best lap deltas, you get this amazing overlay that tells you if you're doing better than your best lap (line is green) or worse (line is red). What you'll find then is you're 4 seconds up on your best pace, you'll take a corner and suddenly you're behind... then the next lap and the next and the next you figure that corner out... best speed, best apex, etcetera, until you suddenly have a new best lap.

Also teaches how to race with other players and not make contact. Due to how the scoring works, you can finish last and still progress in your license because iRacing is all about the contacts. Hit a car, go off road, you'll get contact penalties. Race clean and you'll get a big boost to your license at the end of each official race.

The delta and the contact penalty are to me as important or more important than the fidelity of the simulation itself. I think you can even get first month free! I got up to my B or A license, but actually found i was less competitive than in the slower cars like Star Mazda's or my favourite, the McLaren MP-4 12C. Mind you I probably spent $500 on cars and tracks over about 4 years of subs.

EDIT: Just saw your latest post, Kel. I don't think that 'go slow to get fast' works in Rally. Yes you should probably ease the pace a bit, but for me rally is the art of learning to turn the wheel before your car hits the corner. It's supremely counter-intuitive but due to how traction works, you'll turn, wheels will scrape over the dirt and your car body will then turn-in to the corner which then gives you speed out from the corner. I think that Richard Burns Rally's tutorial is the seminal work in teaching rally driving and highly recommend you get that and try it... nothing is as cool as landing your first Scandinavian Flick!!

But track racin', that's where I think I built whatever underlying skill I can claim to have... it feels like the transition is one way from track to mud, because mud to track sounds problematic as you'll have learned all the wrong lessons.
0 x

Mini

Post by Mini » 02 Jun 2017, 15:30

I have struggled with the differences between road and dirt racing... Going from Dirt Rally to PCars and back the other way is a struggle sometimes.
I have slowly brought my times down in PCars though, and actually feel better at driving road cars than dirt cars.

I'm really looking forward to PCars 2 more than Dirt 4 now, and hoping that it has a few more sets of cars that are really close together that I can grab a car in a series and enjoy it.
0 x
Proudly supporting Player Attack through Patreon

Battle.Net - MiniSanders#1895
uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord

Disco

Post by Disco » 02 Jun 2017, 15:47

I struggle to find racing games that meet that line more towards sim but are still enjoyable without being super technical
0 x
Nekosan wrote:

NotThatDoug

Post by NotThatDoug » 02 Jun 2017, 16:28

Have you tried the main series Forza games?
0 x
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197970978425]Image[/url]

storm84

Post by storm84 » 02 Jun 2017, 16:35

The racing game I've found the most fun is Trackmania. The other one I used to play a lot of was Need For Speed Underground 2, but mainly because I had a housemate that was super into it - so many a fun hour was spent racing each other. Growing up, was a big fan of F Zero X on the N64.

So it's safe to say the technical nuance of hardcore racing games might be beyond me.

As an aside, I notice my coming out of corners when IRL driving is a little more aggressive than it used to be since Dirt Rally. Also not sure the OH appreciates the "left 4, crest, caution lights 200" commentary. :P
0 x

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 02 Jun 2017, 16:59

storm84 wrote:
02 Jun 2017, 16:35
Also not sure the OH appreciates the "left 4, crest, caution lights 200" commentary. :P
:clap: :lol: :thumbup:
0 x

Matty

Post by Matty » 02 Jun 2017, 20:09

linxus wrote:
30 May 2017, 15:49
If its a publicity stunt it's a pretty good one for Far Cry 5.
https://www.change.org/p/ubisoft-cancel-far-cry-5
I learnt a new word.

Miscegenators
the interbreeding of people considered to be of different racial types.
"they believe in miscegenation as the answer to world peace"
0 x
Matter of fact, I didn't even give you my coat!

Disco

Post by Disco » 03 Jun 2017, 11:47

Hopping back into Naval Action now that it's been reset.. still no idea what I'm doing
0 x
Nekosan wrote:

NotThatDoug

Post by NotThatDoug » 03 Jun 2017, 13:13

Finished the main storyline for FFXV, Still going to go back and polish off the rest of the side quests cause I'm still enjoying it. Combat is definitely a weak point but the world and characters keep me interested

I'm definitely glad I waited for them to patch in improvements to Chapter 13. It still felt a bit slow and clunky but not as bad as I read it was originally.

I think they could have done some more to make me care about Luna, I was more upset when the car got destroyed than I was about her dying. Maybe I was just expecting her to die though because she reminded me of Aeris from FF7
Picked up PUBG today looking forward to giving that a rev
0 x
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197970978425]Image[/url]

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 03 Jun 2017, 13:45

Nice work, Doug, I couldn't stomach the game by around the mid-point but felt I'd have liked to see the journey out.

Has anyone played or heard of 'The Long Journey Home'? PC Gamer review here. Looks right up my alley. It's a space survival game with a punishing difficulty level, resource mining and dangerous planetary landings.

Starpoint Gemini Warlords is frickin' fantastic. Absolutely loving the shit out of it.

Also now DiRT 4 ready, roll on June 10!
0 x

Nekosan

Post by Nekosan » 03 Jun 2017, 17:52

Mellie that game looks fantastic, might grab it tonight.
0 x
steamcommunity.com/id/krautpants

MuscularTeeth

Post by MuscularTeeth » 03 Jun 2017, 18:44

had a really fun game of recroom in VR today. havent played in a while and they had a new sci-fi map.
4 of us
me, a NZ guy, a german bloke and some young kid from the USA.
we did a 4 player co - op sci-fi gun shooter thing. sorta wave shooter as you progress through large open rooms with cover. you can move anywhere in the room and fight the waves of flying, crawling, rolling , walking drones
if you get hit you die. if thye hit your gun it gets knocked out of you hand and you got to crawl and pick them up again
4 guns, pistol, shottie, sniper and smg.
each gun has unlimited ammo but you got to charge the gun after a mag is depleted.
sounds like your basic game but in VR with each of us working as a team, covering each other...wow it was pretty amazing..
0 x

Sathias

Post by Sathias » 03 Jun 2017, 19:55

MuscularTeeth wrote:
03 Jun 2017, 18:44
had a really fun game of recroom in VR today. havent played in a while and they had a new sci-fi map.
4 of us
me, a NZ guy, a german bloke and some young kid from the USA.
we did a 4 player co - op sci-fi gun shooter thing. sorta wave shooter as you progress through large open rooms with cover. you can move anywhere in the room and fight the waves of flying, crawling, rolling , walking drones
if you get hit you die. if thye hit your gun it gets knocked out of you hand and you got to crawl and pick them up again
4 guns, pistol, shottie, sniper and smg.
each gun has unlimited ammo but you got to charge the gun after a mag is depleted.
sounds like your basic game but in VR with each of us working as a team, covering each other...wow it was pretty amazing..
Heh I just downloaded Rec Room earlier... might have to give it a try :)
0 x
"Put the damn gun down, boy. It aint no toy." - Lite

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 03 Jun 2017, 21:19

Read up more on tLJH and I'm not feeling that sure about it.

Tokyo 42 has been released however! Published by Mode 7 (makers of Frozen Synapse) it's a gorgeous looking game that's been called 'cripplingly difficult'. Gotta love that art style.

edit: Tokyo 42 is cool as all get out. Controls are a bit tricky to start with and, for me, better on keys than on controller (it's built for both). It's just such a pretty game and so far, totally not tired of stealth-katana kills.

EDIT 2: Upgraded to a Destroyer in SPGW. 5 heavy and 5 light slots, spent $4M on the ship itself and a further $6M on enhancements and weapons. Worth every cent!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =938774883

Now just need to pull in more resources so I can afford to upgrade my bases to Garrisons as I'm tired of defending them. Cruising around now with a fleet of 5 Mark-2 Frigates, wrecking all within our path.
0 x