Mellie's Random Game Discussion Thread

This is where all the random stuff goes
Disco

Re: Mellie's Random Game Discussion Thread

Post by Disco » 10 Feb 2018, 18:08

Been playing Assassins Creed Origins today, enjoying it so far but I hate how they can't just let me run around being me, you have to have all these bullshit future parts too
0 x
Nekosan wrote:
29 Mar 2018, 00:36
Disco is fkn banned from the flamethrower. :lol:

Kendrite

Post by Kendrite » 10 Feb 2018, 20:47

Well I got the Cyclops - what an awesome part of the game. I was getting a bit bored but that was just epic.

Spoiler for what happened.
I had to hunt around for the materials and it probably took about an hour.

Put it all together and this massive sub was built and splashed down in front of me.

Jumped into my Seamoth wondering how to get in and it opened up, docked me and started charging the Seamoth - awesome.

The Cyclops is heaps bigger than my base was with heaps of storage and stuff.

Not sure if I can add things like first aid fabricator and other bits...time will tell.
0 x

kharis

Post by kharis » 10 Feb 2018, 21:52

the answer to your question is yes :) its like a home away from home
0 x

kharis

Post by kharis » 11 Feb 2018, 09:58

sorry for the double post but i just saw this and had to share, its not mine but its great
0 x

Sathias

Post by Sathias » 11 Feb 2018, 11:04

After a few attempts at starting a career mode game, I'm hooked on EA UFC 3. It's probably the best career mode they have done, with a balance of management style training and a few mini games. In the past, their career mode has usually gone too much one way or the other.
0 x
"Put the damn gun down, boy. It aint no toy." - Lite

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 11 Feb 2018, 12:54

Ooooh nice, the fighting in that game feels absolutely brutal, but the career in 1 and 2 was a joke. Good to hear it's improved.

So I watch a lot of IGP on YouTube because he does off-the-main-strip games like Subnautica, Necrosos, The Forest, etc.

In short, I'm saying I've reinstalled the Forest. Feels a perfect thematic fit for Subnautica... both are survival games, both are beautiful different to the rest of their peers.

And Cities Skylines... built a city of 30,000+, constantly increasing demand for the main three areas... but lots and lots of vacated buildings, and now a rash of dead bodies in my main city despite having 2 incinerators and 2 cemeteries on the same square grid as the city. Add to that the constant complaint of 'low on resources' from my factory areas despite 6 lane straight highways to them has me buggered as to how to resolve.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
0 x

Disco

Post by Disco » 11 Feb 2018, 13:50

Sathias wrote:
11 Feb 2018, 11:04
After a few attempts at starting a career mode game, I'm hooked on EA UFC 3. It's probably the best career mode they have done, with a balance of management style training and a few mini games. In the past, their career mode has usually gone too much one way or the other.
I've always wanted to like those games but the controls are just too complicated for me
0 x
Nekosan wrote:

Bicketybam

Post by Bicketybam » 12 Feb 2018, 03:22

I put up a few posters to inspire the troops (aka me) in subnautica.

and even in the future, stranded on an alien world where so many things want to eat you...

Damn you Windows!!!!!! Image

:dodgy:
0 x

Sathias

Post by Sathias » 12 Feb 2018, 17:59

Disco wrote:
11 Feb 2018, 13:50
Sathias wrote:
11 Feb 2018, 11:04
I've always wanted to like those games but the controls are just too complicated for me
Yeah I know what you are saying, I'm not too bad at the striking and I'm pretty good with the positional grappling, I've still got no idea with the submissions though.
0 x
"Put the damn gun down, boy. It aint no toy." - Lite

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 13 Feb 2018, 09:30

So my best mate... he can be very difficult to entice into new games. He's a smart cookie, but with games he just likes shooters... any hint of complexity that doesn't have a hand-holding tutorial and he'll rage quite.

First up this week was Elite Dangerous... insanely raging as he tried to land his Sidewinder in a station... would listen to me, ended up switching off and that was the end of him that night.

Next up... Subnautica. Seriously. No tutorial, he wasn't interested, "I don't want to just swim around not knowing what I need to get"... 'but mate, you go to your fabricator and see what it needs'. Nah, ragequit. I did notice however, last night he was playing Subnautica again so I think he'll get the bug on that one (my dreams of bounty hunting in Elite with him have been dashed). It's a damn shame... when our tastes align we just have SO much fun.. our two favourites in that regards were hundreds of hours of DayZ and Borderlands 1/2.

I know how he feels, to a lesser extent... some games just take a while to reveal their rhythm. If you push through, you find that the fun increases.

Anyone know what I mean? Or can you think of a game that was the same for you?
0 x

kharis

Post by kharis » 13 Feb 2018, 10:48

I’m trying to get my head around elite atm. Got a decent map for my joystick and have run data to a few stations. Just need to get some cash and buy some upgrades/better ship then figure out what I actually want to do.

0 x

Mini

Post by Mini » 13 Feb 2018, 11:01

Mellie - I have had a few games... the Total War series is a major one in the past... always knew it was possible, but always sucked at the management side of it. Never did work it out, but have found TW:Warhammer fine, think it is simpler though.

Kharis - If you want a flying buddy let me know, I haven't played for a bit, and can't remember what ship I have (I reset my game recently), but I would happily fly around again.

As for my recent gaming, seems to have been split between Rocket League (At least 1 game every night, usually about 5ish), Farming Simulator, Vermintide, Overwatch and Torchlight 2.
Enjoying the odd game of Overwatch just to get a feel for the game again. Will see if I want to get right into it again or not.
Rocket League I am slowly getting some skills back, and gaining a few new ones. Need to keep the games up so I don't feel useless when I play. Hopefully get a better rank this season to last, going to focus on the competitive games a bit more I think.
And the other 3 (Vermintide, Torchlight 2 and FS) are my calm down games
0 x
Proudly supporting Player Attack through Patreon

Battle.Net - MiniSanders#1895
uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord

Disco

Post by Disco » 13 Feb 2018, 11:32

DarkMellie wrote:
13 Feb 2018, 09:30
So my best mate... he can be very difficult to entice into new games. He's a smart cookie, but with games he just likes shooters... any hint of complexity that doesn't have a hand-holding tutorial and he'll rage quite.

First up this week was Elite Dangerous... insanely raging as he tried to land his Sidewinder in a station... would listen to me, ended up switching off and that was the end of him that night.

Next up... Subnautica. Seriously. No tutorial, he wasn't interested, "I don't want to just swim around not knowing what I need to get"... 'but mate, you go to your fabricator and see what it needs'. Nah, ragequit. I did notice however, last night he was playing Subnautica again so I think he'll get the bug on that one (my dreams of bounty hunting in Elite with him have been dashed). It's a damn shame... when our tastes align we just have SO much fun.. our two favourites in that regards were hundreds of hours of DayZ and Borderlands 1/2.

I know how he feels, to a lesser extent... some games just take a while to reveal their rhythm. If you push through, you find that the fun increases.

Anyone know what I mean? Or can you think of a game that was the same for you?
Stop describing me :lol: I'm the same as your mate, there is a line that a lot of games cross that I refer to as the difficulty / reward line, anything with too much up front difficulty just doesn't get a look in
0 x
Nekosan wrote:

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 13 Feb 2018, 12:18

Kharis:Elite is wonderful with a joystick/rudder, and moreso with TrackIR, I did eventually find that to be quite tiring however and found the a controller, as weird as it felt at first, was more comfortable to use for longer flying sessions. They also do some really great button-combinations (holding down any button on the controller then pops up an overlay of what a combination press will accomplish... so hold B and hit down on the D-pad to extend your gear for instance).

I mainly play Elite on the XOX now as it's almost as gorgeous as my PC version, has more friends to fly with, and there's an amazing balance of gameplay versus achievements... when you pop an achievement in Elite on XOX it's off the back of some hard graft and not just an instant-gratification like most games.

Mini: TW:WH does indeed feel easier but there's a difficulty curve there that i just can't muster the energy to get over the top of.. the management definitely doesn't give me enough info (I feel) to understand how my decisions are truly affecting my game.. and the battles I just lack patience, I want to bum-rush the field and find the rock/paper/scissors requires more brain than I have to offer.

With that said, I love EUIV but I find that's an easier game in a way due to how you can immediately see the impact of decisions, or trace problems back to a decision.

Disco:I think we all have that line.. I tend to love complexity, EUIV, Distant Worlds, Stationeers, all extremely difficult, but then things like the entire RTS genre are just too much for me with quick tactical decisions and the like... I put it down to age, but I think my brain likes complexity I can uncover over time without feeling pressured by time?

With all that said, it's back to The Forest tonight. Found a bunch of cave networks, there's a multi-armed nightmare of a thing in most of them so I need to figure out how to kill that. Then, when that inevitably scares me too much to keep playing, I'll pop back into Subnautica. Made my Mk3 module for the Seamoth, went diving to the north-west of the Aurora, got to 900 meters then swam straight down to 1500 before getting killed by a Ghost Reaper. There clearly must be something down there worth checking out so I'll try again with my stasis gun and see what I can find.
0 x

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 13 Feb 2018, 23:24

What a night under the sea!

Story time...

Triggered the Sunbeam, finally, I've done it before but never been there to watch it... certainly didn't look like it was ever going to go well...

Intentional framing, I wonder?

Activated a warp gate.. have found others but none of them have spots for Ion Cubes so I'm not sure how to trigger them all...

Re-found the Lost River and the beautiful Cove Tree...

...which I'm going to blame entirely for this nasty little breakout...

Found the Jellyshroom caves recently... so surprised that after all my hours of plan I had no idea this space was right below the safe shallows. Picked up around 13 pieces of magnetite so that was a yay...

Cheeky visitor to my alpha base...

He was probably just there to envy my outside grow bed with matured creepweed and maybe 12 gel-sacs (unlimited aero-gel!)..

... and finally unlocked this badboy and immediately installed a drill-arm. Turns out each resource node carries 10+ of that resource within it...

Next up... figuring out how to trigger the next branch of the storyline... I've visited most of the Degassi bases and a few of the unmarked spots... would welcome any spoilers people can offer!

And in boardgaming news, I bought the Fallout boardgame for my wife and I to play. Have really become a fan of board and card games in the last few weeks via my iPad, will be nice to have a date night with her that isn't staring at the TV.
0 x

Disco

Post by Disco » 14 Feb 2018, 08:38

I grabbed Kingdom Come Deliverance last night, downloading now.. keen to see how it plays.
0 x
Nekosan wrote:

kharis

Post by kharis » 14 Feb 2018, 11:11

havent had a chance to play elite again since the other night, the key mapping i found uses the two button method for alot of things seeing as my joystick only has 12 or so buttons, just need to get used to it and make sure i dont jump into fsd when im trying to extend my landing gear :)

only playing on one monitor so i'll hold out on the trackir for a little bit, if i end up going to 3 i'll definately grab one though. tempted to try it out on the occulus (there is a dk2 floating around my house somewhere) but having children around the house makes it hard
0 x

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 14 Feb 2018, 11:28

Would love to hear your thoughts on KC Deliverance, Disco. It looks like my kind of game but have also heart there's lots of bugs and generic repeated-quests.
0 x

MuscularTeeth

Post by MuscularTeeth » 14 Feb 2018, 11:46

same disco - i got a 100$ xbox voucher sitting here, and that kCdeliverance is the one im eyeing
0 x

Mini

Post by Mini » 14 Feb 2018, 12:09

I'm hanging out for Vermintide 2, really enjoyed the first one (Other than the loot system) and the second is looking like an improvement in every way.
Will be a bit sad to cut the Chaos warriors down, but more things to kill is always good :D

Also Sea of Thieves is looking good, but I think I am going to go with MS's Game Pass for a month to give it a try before I look at buying it
0 x
Proudly supporting Player Attack through Patreon

Battle.Net - MiniSanders#1895
uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord

Disco

Post by Disco » 14 Feb 2018, 13:13

MuscularTeeth wrote:
14 Feb 2018, 11:46
same disco - i got a 100$ xbox voucher sitting here, and that kCdeliverance is the one im eyeing
I was tempted to get it on XB1 hey, I mean with no multiplayer it doesn't really matter lol
0 x
Nekosan wrote:

Bicketybam

Post by Bicketybam » 15 Feb 2018, 19:31

That moment, when you just KNOW... I did leave the iron on. Also there are two of them and I'm about to die!!! (although, I actual got away)
0 x

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 19 Feb 2018, 00:25

Them dragons are terrifying, Bickety!

Thrilling night for me in Subnautica... long read ahead and am putting spoilers on this as it's very end-gamey stuff...
Tough night of back and forth as I extended my dominion into the lava zone. I still haven't found the reinforced suit so there was a LOT of waiting for medpacks to be created and power cells to recharge on the Cyclops. I'd somehow lost the MK3 depth mod for the Prawn (no idea how, I definitely had it because I was mining the laval floor for Kyanite last night), which meant my Cyclops could go to 1700 but the Prawn and Seamoth bottomed out at 900.

This meant driving the Seamoth into the Lost River to the entrance to the Laval Zone then parking, then swimming back for the cyclops to bring that in. Once they were both in position, it was heading back and forth between swimming (in hot water)/Seamoth/Base transferring enough materials to do a room, a scanning room (which ended up being pointless) and a thermal generator. Then it was de-constructing the power cell, gathering some seeds and the like to grow some essential stuff. Took me maybe 3 hours to do all of this. Here's my home under the sea...

After that was set up, it was time to find the Thermal Generator Plant which had so far eluded me. I eventually found it, but realised I'd left my Purple tablets back at my base. Half an hour later, I was in and madly scanning then reading... easily one of the best sci-fi stories for me since Mass Effect. This finally led me to a blue tablet and I'd read you only needed one so it was onto the Primary Containment Facility. As Bickety shows us above, it's guarded by two Sea Dragons so with no vehicle and not enough medkits it took me two trips to get there but finally I laid the blue-stone on the plinth... only to find out I needed another blue one and I hadn't brought my Ion cubes.

A tremendous amount of fucking about later and I've activated all the gates. The best thing is, an inactive gate I'd marked with a beacon about 15 hours of gameplay earlier was the perfect spot to drop the prawn... just 600 meters from the entrance to the Lost River and 150 meters from my base, even the Cyclops running out of power at the bottom of a mountain range didn't deter me as my Prawn jumped and glided its way there.

Finally, unlimited Ion...

From there, it was a simple matter of meeting my new best friend and its 5 offspring that now just need some enzymes to hatch. Should be an hour at most of work tomorrow, I have one of them growing in a growbed and the rest should be easy to find...

What a game... what a game!
0 x

Kendrite

Post by Kendrite » 19 Feb 2018, 18:54

I've not read the last few Subnautica posts because I'm not near the end yet.

I found the main story had slowed down so changed my focus from it to upgrading. I've fully upgraded my Seamoth (900 meters) as well as storage and a thing that shocks stuff attacking you. Also got the first depth upgrade to my Cyclops plus an energy efficiency upgrade.

I love it when you go deep and get a message about there being creatures around and are you sure it's worth doing this.
0 x

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 19 Feb 2018, 23:22

If you aren't wanting to youtube or forum the answers, you'll find notes in PDAs that will suggest next steps to you!

Also, don't look at this picture...

YES!

Didn't take much in the end other than one very long trip to the lava field for some more sulphur and kyanite (and waiting for the medpack machine to generate new medpacks). Had everything else available in my lockers or from deconstructing things.

Uninstalled now, will enjoy this masterpiece all over again once the Xbox version hits 1.0 (and for a few minutes when they fix the last two steam achievements that aren't popping for anybody).
0 x