Mellie's Random Game Discussion Thread

This is where all the random stuff goes
Giblet

Re: Mellie's Random Game Discussion Thread

Post by Giblet » 03 Jan 2016, 19:18

Anon. E. Moose wrote:
phylum wrote:I bought Mount and Blade: Warband in the Steam sale. It's amazing, and I can fully understand all the hype in around 4 hours of play so far.
http://www.moddb.com/mods/a-clash-of-kings
Best mod for the game, a Game of Thrones TC.
Don't forget the Floris Mod Pack, I find it better to be honest. http://www.nexusmods.com/mbwarband/mods/3489/? (if you end up playing it, don't forget to change the mod options in a camp once you get on the over-world map.)
0 x

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 04 Jan 2016, 00:56

178 from 63 balls for the 16 year old Murray Hibble, 3rd Batsman for the Tasma ian Tigers. Poor lad eventually lost it when he thought to try running down the wicket for a full tonk and gave up a sitter to the Victorian Busharanger fieldsman. But holy shit up until that point it was six after boundary after six. Glorious.

Also tried EA's UFC... from the makers of the Fight Night seriesm brutal stuff, I kicked my opponent so hard in the head he sprayed blood like it was Hollywood. After a savage two way beating, I landed a kick to his throat to win the match by a knockout/murder. Stupendously complicated control scheme.

Issues with a logitech headset a mate gave me... it was for the mic that I used it (anyone who plays with me knows how poor my audio is) but it immediately seemed to kill my powered USB hub as well as alternately stop my mouse or keyboard working.

What else... Diablo 3 on Xbox One... good times. Oooh, Men of War Assault Squad 2. Such a fun game as long as you kamikaze it. Gotta keep your men moving and flanking and drag your armour up or you get smacked. Love that you can takw direct control too... the ending to the first US mission is just a 'hold the flag' mission so I dug my men in, positioned two other vehicles to protect my flanks then controlled my main tank in the middle corridor and singlehandedly won the day. As long as your men are proned behind cover, by christ can they take a whooping.

Also, Squad. Glorious Squad. Someone has sadly decided to DoS the shit out of its servers (probably a retired PR Dev I personally think), and this means it's hit and miss as to whether I can get a game in or not.
0 x

MuscularTeeth

Post by MuscularTeeth » 04 Jan 2016, 10:27

started witcher 3 on xbox one around 9am yesterday.
stopped playing around midnight.
about to hop on and continue it - what a great game.
sorry disco, i was going to be painting your little wooden box today (got 1 panel done, a bit of another one, and the rest painted white with many layers a few nights ago).
you will just have to wait :)
1 x

phylum

Post by phylum » 04 Jan 2016, 13:56

Moose, as an ASoIaF fan I have my eye firmly on the Clash of Kings mod for once Borris retires from adventuring.
0 x

NotThatDoug

Post by NotThatDoug » 04 Jan 2016, 16:26

Just scored a free brand new PS4 it came with Killzone, COD and Destiny... No idea what other games there are on PS4 besides Blood Bourne that I would like.
0 x
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197970978425]Image[/url]

GamingKen

Post by GamingKen » 04 Jan 2016, 17:01

Dr. Langeskov, The Tiger, and The Terribly Cursed Emerald: A Whirlwind Heist

If you have 15 minutes to kill and are easily amused, play it. It's free and directed by the guy behind The Stanley Parable.

#strikewithtina
0 x

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 05 Jan 2016, 14:43

Don Bradman Cricket, Broadcast view with reversed controls... just like you watch it on TV! Turned it up to Pro difficulty and I've gone from stonking boundaries every ball to some very carefully placed ground shots. Quite thrilling, given the pace. I wish I could find it for the Xbox though, like certain other smaller publishers/developers (looking at you, Milestone) they never allow specials on their price... it's still $100 on Xbox Live! Hoping to get a second hand copy.

Also went back to the Witcher 3 last night after reading Meare's GOTY thread... didn't realise I was so close to the end of the act... helped Yennefer remove the curse on a werewolf and learned about Ciri's visit to Skellige. Might have to spend most of tonight seeing what happens next.
0 x

Makena

Post by Makena » 06 Jan 2016, 11:41

I finished the story of JC3, I'll go back for more general shenanigans sometime, it's quite a fun game, but it does have some performance issues and desgin choices that make it less fun than JC2.

I think as they wanted you to use the wingsuit/parachute more, the map moved away from allowing cars being a good choice to traverse the landscape, and a lot of the fun I had in 2 was blasting around in a sports car, finding random fights, or starting random fights at outposts or just guards/militia driving around. Car handling is also quite poor which doesn't help. I also think this made the game world feel smaller, as instead of taking roads and driving from A to B, I'd just wingsuit directly between points.

Still fun as heck, and I can see why they made choices they made, I just don't know if it led to being a better game.

But when the multiplayer mod comes out for it, that should be quite a lot of fun, jc3 mp trailer for anyone who missed it

0 x

Forgetful_Lion

Post by Forgetful_Lion » 06 Jan 2016, 11:52

DarkMellie wrote:178 from 63 balls for the 16 year old Murray Hibble, 3rd Batsman for the Tasma ian Tigers.
Not as good as this guy - 1009* runs off 327 balls.

Also still addicted to Rocket League and still suck at it. I need to stop playing it for a bit so I can finish Fallout New Vegas and then start Witcher 3, which will hopefully be just in time for Blood and Wine...
0 x

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 06 Jan 2016, 12:51

Mak, that's interesting that you think JC2 was good for vehicle travel. I hated it! Could never understand why they even bothered to make them drivable given they were so slow, handled poorly... grapple hook and parachute all game for me.
0 x

Makena

Post by Makena » 06 Jan 2016, 13:01

DarkMellie wrote:Mak, that's interesting that you think JC2 was good for vehicle travel. I hated it! Could never understand why they even bothered to make them drivable given they were so slow, handled poorly... grapple hook and parachute all game for me.
That's probably a popular opinion, as the grapple, parachute improvements with the addition of the wingsuit make that a pleasure, so they obviously put a lot of time into that. But sometimes I just want to rebel drop a sports car wtih machine guns and drive about fucking shit up, and that just isn't as fun in 3
0 x

kharis

Post by kharis » 06 Jan 2016, 14:49

both games i'm playing at the moment feature gods who have basically dissapeared and left humans to their own devices, don't they know that pets aren't just for christmas

banner saga and apotheon in case you were wondering
0 x

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 06 Jan 2016, 17:00

Mmmmmm banner saga. So good. Can't wait for the sequel.
0 x

NotThatDoug

Post by NotThatDoug » 06 Jan 2016, 23:46

Either Xenoblade Chronicles is a long game or a really easy game, got past the intro tutorial part finally got control of my character, first quest: Walk home with some basic combat instructions along the way, probably walked 500m smashing tiny bunnies and giant catapilars and I'm already level 4. I'm enjoying it so far, going to try and keep playing but I always forget about my 3DS when I'm not travelling...

Started Destiny on the PS4, I need to play it a bit more before I decide if I want to keep going or just ditch it for something better. I'm about to start Metal Gear Solid V Phantom Pain, finished the main story stuff for ground zeroes, the sidequest stuff doesn't interest me now that I've got the main game ready to go.

Want to piss your money up against the wall? Then I've got the kickstarter for you

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/17 ... escription
0 x

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 07 Jan 2016, 00:16

Xenoblade is getting some fairly good feedback around the place. I'm interested to hear how it turns out for you.

Spent most of my night playing Witcher 3. I've finally discovered where Ciri is and it sounds like a massive fight is about to kick off. Loving the Bioware feel to this part of the game, it's like rallying the troops in Mass Effect for the glorious ending. However, I have a shitload of quests left in my log as well as hundreds of question marks left. Unsure if I really want to do all of that to level up for the ending (and to see the content) or just shoot through now. I'm level 23 currently and have Heart of Stone ready to go.

Also read a very flattering review of AC Syndicate's Jack the Ripper DLC so picked that up again. I'm only level 2 in it and Evie has just gotten her grapple device from Bell. Kinda feeling the rhythm but holy shit do I have some open world games to play. W3, AC, Batman, MGS V, Shadow of Mordor, GTA 5, Watch Dogs, Fallout 4 and god knows how many more. That, Squad, racing games, flight sims, Diablo 3... I really need to become obscenely rich so I can just stay at home and get this important life's work of mine done.

Off to bed for some Trials Frontier, nn!
0 x

NotThatDoug

Post by NotThatDoug » 07 Jan 2016, 00:32

This is the oringinal one that got remade for 3DS last year, I'm also looking forward to picking up the next one for Wii U but it was still full price with boxing day sales so I figured I'd grab the first and wait. Will keep you updated once I've clocked a few more hours in it.
0 x

Mini

Post by Mini » 07 Jan 2016, 08:07

Spent last night playing a few games on the Wii (Original)
Started Mario Galaxy 2 again, hoping to actually finish it this time, but I don't remember the controls being as horrible as they feel, maybe I am just not used to the Wii anymore...

Also started an NBA Jam season (Even if it is only on Easy)... and the controls to it are a bit weird, slowly getting used to having to shake the remote for different things. Slowly getting there... Still a damn fun basketball game, makes me actually want to watch basketball again... Don't think I have done that since the 90's when I followed the Seattle Sonics...

Found a good website for working out trade routes and stock prices for Elite, now to work out where I can make some money, and wait for the Reddit listing of the weeks community goals to come out. Wouldn't mind actually trying my hand at one this week.
0 x
Proudly supporting Player Attack through Patreon

Battle.Net - MiniSanders#1895
uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord

Ralph Wiggum

Post by Ralph Wiggum » 07 Jan 2016, 15:31

Last week of holidays. Finally finished Fallout 4, some 147 hours later. Decide to try out some Battlefront, servers are dead. Literally dead. I think I am one of three people in Australia looking to play on PC. Thank Christ I've got it on PS4.
0 x
RIP Games.On.Net.

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 07 Jan 2016, 17:12

Cheers, Ralph. I might have made the mistake on buying it on PC at some point with my new graphics card on the way.

Tried Mad Max the other night, I freakin' LOVE how it captures the same speech as Fury Road. Everyone is a joy to listen to, it feels so utterly mad. Runs okay, but can't wait to do it on a new graphics card without having to listen to my PCs case-fans whir up like a jet taking off.
0 x

Vital-Blurs

Post by Vital-Blurs » 08 Jan 2016, 00:29

Yeah, I've really enjoyed the 50 or so hours of Mad Max that I've played. Probably because I haven't been over-exposed to open world games lately. I was surprised to find the car combat just as satisfying as the fisticuffs, once you get a few upgrades.
0 x

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 08 Jan 2016, 13:01

So, I've really pushed on in Witcher 3 as I'm quite enjoying the direction the main quest is taking. But I'm madly scrambling to get quests done in the few gaming hours I have so I'm fast-travelling everywhere.... and at times, I'll actually stop and look around and think, good god, this game is jaw-droppingly gorgeous. To think that, like any open world, a team of people handcrafted these vistas, places these rocks, agonised for god knows how many hours over the right placement of everything. As I steered my boat towards the southern edge of Skellige, I had plenty of time to admire the grandeur.

But I keep looking at the map and seeing hundreds upon hundreds of question marks. Do I lose myself to them? Do I complete the main quests then attempt to pick them up in NG+? I haven't even played Hearts of Stone yet.

In other open world news, I'm reading excellent things about AC Syndicate's Jack the Ripper DLC.. being touted as what DLC should be, fully-fledged stories.

Maybe I should just give it all up and play some more Rocket League... after all, despite my assertions otherwise, I never did go back and complete all the Most Wanted missions in Batman.
0 x

Nacimota

Post by Nacimota » 08 Jan 2016, 14:31

DarkMellie wrote:So, I've really pushed on in Witcher 3 as I'm quite enjoying the direction the main quest is taking. But I'm madly scrambling to get quests done in the few gaming hours I have so I'm fast-travelling everywhere.... and at times, I'll actually stop and look around and think, good god, this game is jaw-droppingly gorgeous. To think that, like any open world, a team of people handcrafted these vistas, places these rocks, agonised for god knows how many hours over the right placement of everything. As I steered my boat towards the southern edge of Skellige, I had plenty of time to admire the grandeur.

But I keep looking at the map and seeing hundreds upon hundreds of question marks. Do I lose myself to them? Do I complete the main quests then attempt to pick them up in NG+? I haven't even played Hearts of Stone yet.
Yeah it looks like a really great game and it's winning GOTY awards left right and centre. I've been itching to play it ever since I saw the absolutely fantastic launch cinematic. Unfortunately I don't think my PC is quite fit to run it despite a recent upgrade and I think I'd rather be playing it on PC than Xbox so I've given it a miss for now. In any case, it looks like CDPR really pulled out all the stops for this game.
Ben 'Yahtzee' Crowshaw wrote:Over the years, AAA gaming has been trying to pummel us into accepting that we have no choice but to have graphics like Rembrandt had sex with Industrial Light & Magic, and that means we have to sacrifice the kind of in-depth detail and storytelling we used to have in our open-world RPGs. But then Witcher 3 replied, "Oh no, you don't! You just have to work until your bollocks drop off!" I for one appreciate it, CD Projekt RED. Hope the reattachment surgery goes well.
0 x

Sathias

Post by Sathias » 08 Jan 2016, 18:16

Nacimota wrote:Yeah it looks like a really great game and it's winning GOTY awards left right and centre. I've been itching to play it ever since I saw the absolutely fantastic launch cinematic. Unfortunately I don't think my PC is quite fit to run it despite a recent upgrade and I think I'd rather be playing it on PC than Xbox so I've given it a miss for now. In any case, it looks like CDPR really pulled out all the stops for this game.
I've been playing it on a 4 year old machine with a recently added GTX 970 and it runs quite acceptably on that.
0 x
"Put the damn gun down, boy. It aint no toy." - Lite

Nacimota

Post by Nacimota » 08 Jan 2016, 18:40

Sathias wrote:I've been playing it on a 4 year old machine with a recently added GTX 970 and it runs quite acceptably on that.
Mine's a little older than that. I've just upgraded from a Core 2 Q6600 to an i7 950. It's ever so slightly under the minimum requirements I think.
0 x

MuscularTeeth

Post by MuscularTeeth » 09 Jan 2016, 01:11

SOMA.
an incredible storyline, reminding me of ian m banks and peter watts novels. and even philip k dick novels where the mind/what is it to be human theme come across often.
5 stars out of 5.
1 x