Mellie's Random Game Discussion Thread

This is where all the random stuff goes
DarkMellie

Re: Mellie's Random Game Discussion Thread

Post by DarkMellie » 05 May 2017, 18:24

"Soon", yeah. Looks great too, but almost too great given how small the team is making it.
0 x

jambo

Post by jambo » 05 May 2017, 21:10

Currently downloading Prey.

All the positive buzz has been getting me excited and now it sounds like the PC performance is rather good.

EDIT: How the fuck is this game only 18GB?!
0 x

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 05 May 2017, 23:47

Ooooh, let me know how it goes, Jambo.

In other news, Mount and Blade on Xbox is... exactly like the PC version but without mods. Still, had a fun night running around completing quests for people.
0 x

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 06 May 2017, 23:44

Nier: Automata. Probably the sexiest Sqeenix game I've ever played.

It's the year 5400 and aliens have invaded earth using robots and humanity is holed up on the moon fighting back using Androids. You are one such Android and named 2B. What's really cool about it, other than the storyline, environments and boss battles, is how it uses the camera. You'll start in a typical third-person camera ala Bayonetta, flashing about with swords and whatnot... then the camera might pin itself above you and it's a twin-stick shooter, then it can snap to the side and you're playing a scrolling 2D fighting game.

I'm sure there's more weirdness to come, but already it feels WAY better than the last Final Fantasy did for me.

Some screenshots;

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =920186063
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =920185801
Beating a boss to death with its own arm; http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =920185741
My new friend, 9S; http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =920185681
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =920185604

About to play Outlast 2 for the first time, in the dark, on very good headphones.
0 x

Disco

Post by Disco » 07 May 2017, 11:11

Word on the street is that Ready or Not could be a good sucessor to the SWAT serious, not much revealed below but it could be what I've been waiting for

Possibly NSFW:

0 x
Nekosan wrote:
29 Mar 2018, 00:36
Disco is fkn banned from the flamethrower. :lol:

NotThatDoug

Post by NotThatDoug » 07 May 2017, 11:16

Moved my PS4 onto my computer desk now that I've set up my sweet dual monitor arm

Back into Final Fantasy XV now and I'm loving it, I missed my pretty boys.

Also still massively addicted to Squad, new update added a bunch of stuff including Mortars. Which are amazingly terrifying to get caught in.
0 x
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197970978425]Image[/url]

Disco

Post by Disco » 07 May 2017, 11:29

Looks good Doug!
0 x
Nekosan wrote:
29 Mar 2018, 00:36
Disco is fkn banned from the flamethrower. :lol:

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 07 May 2017, 14:09

Ready or Not looks frickin' great. Will be gobbling up more info on that one as it comes through (SWAT 4 is superb, but super ugly!).

Nier Automata is quite special. The story is fascinating and I'm developing some theories so far but am eager to find out what's really going on.
- I think the humans and aliens are both probably all dead by now and the androids and machines are fighting a pointless proxy-war
- OR, the androids are working for the aliens and don't know it... all the robots you kill keep saying 'stop, please don't hurt me' etcetera, and 9S keeps sternly saying they are accessing random speech and don't really mean it
- no idea who the two guys were with white hair that I fought, loved that they evolved as the fight progressed.. perhaps new-humans?
Very Dark Souls too in that you die then have one shot to get your 'chips' back from your body (chips give you bonuses and some can be quite painful to lose. The difficulty isn't much, I'm only playing on Normal but almost wish it was only Hard and Insane (insane makes everything a one-hit kill which sounds, you know, insane).

OST is quite excellent too, making it a surprisingly calm game to play.

Boss fights are quite inventive too.
0 x

Sathias

Post by Sathias » 07 May 2017, 14:39

Had a mess around with a friend's Oculus Rift last night.... Played Superhot and the Rick and Morty VR game, both of which are amazing.
0 x
"Put the damn gun down, boy. It aint no toy." - Lite

DedZeppelin

Post by DedZeppelin » 07 May 2017, 18:02

Sathias wrote:
07 May 2017, 14:39
Had a mess around with a friend's Oculus Rift last night.... Played Superhot and the Rick and Morty VR game, both of which are amazing.
I'll post the video when I get time.
0 x

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 07 May 2017, 23:45

Nice hours and work there Teethy!

------------------

Nier Automata... so there's a 'Resistance' member (androids holding out on Earth) that you come across who wants you to find some classified intel. After picking up the second piece you realise it's YorHA data (the group you belong to) and he shouldn't have it... then an announcement comes out from the 'Commander' about a rogue android they're hunting for that holds some classified intel. Once you have the final piece and pass it onto the quest-giver, you find him again out in the desert. Turns out he found the YorHA body somewhere and needed that intel to repair it. When asked why, he says he doesn't really know but he needs family as it makes him feel happy.

You feel good about yourself in this crazy world of feeling-robots, and then you get an inbox message. It's the Commander stating that they'd found and slaughtered the rebel android along with a nearby Resistance member.

Goddamnit.

Spoilers;
- turns out the aliens are definitely dead. Before they died they created the two white-haired creatures you fight throughout the game, these two male android-thingys are called "Adam" and "Eve"... and they killed their creators. They're interested in meeting/killing the remnants of humanity on the moon
- the robots are the real stars of the show, lots of laughs, lots of personality as they take on roles like 'mother' and 'daughter' and then behave as you would expect from those archetypes. You find a whole robot village led by Pascal with some great quests out of there.
26 different endings. I've already got one by running in the wrong direction when an urgent request for help was made... didn't even know I'd done it and suddenly it was game over.

Endings A to E are the 'major' endings. Each playthrough differs and you'll play different characters, gaining new perspectives on the story. Things that you thought you made happen were actually instigated by something else, bosses you thought were in control were puppets themselves. Apparently ending 'C' is where it really starts to mess with your mind. My favourite quote from the Steam forums (where a lot of people think the first ending is the ending) said "isn't it a bit ridiculous that $60 can be beaten in under 8 hours?"
0 x

NotThatDoug

Post by NotThatDoug » 08 May 2017, 10:42

I'm super salty at Squad right now and feel like playing single player only for a while so its back to FFXV, but Nier does sound incredible and the stuff I've seen people post online makes it look really cool

Squad rant that I'm going to whack into a spoilers tag for anyone who doesn't care about my ranting or Squad.
Played at lunchtime yesterday, on the American side for Al Basrah Invasion mode,

Playing Medic like I always do because I'm pretty good at it, we are probably just over half way done with the game, its been pretty close the whole way though we had captured 3 of the control points and my squad was defending the leading point when a bike comes speeding in, the rest of the squad kill the driver but there was an IED stuck to the bike which exploded taking out everyone, including our other medic except me, because moved back when I heard the bike, I run over to revive the other squads medic so we can work together to get everyone else up before the suicide bombers mates show up when suddenly I lose my medic kit, I look at the squad setup and I've been kicked from the squad, I try to rejoin but the spot has already been taken by a new guy with the same clan tag as the squad leader and he's spawned back at main base too far away to get to where all our dead team mates are, I was basically just standing in the point with a M16, no frags, no smoke, no bandages, nothing, obviously I die pretty quickly when the insurgents roll in, respawn and join a new squad. With nobody left alive we lost the control point and soon after they pushed us back off another point and then we lost the whole game.

I hope in a future patch they make it so that a squad leader can't directly kick someone but can call a vote instead, because I understand the point of being able to kick someone, I've played games before where people have requested someone be kicked from the squad because they've done nothing to help the squad, kicking someone just because you want your mate to join your squad is straight up bullshit. If he asked me to leave for his mate I probably would have said yes once I'd revived everyone so we didn't lose the control point. I honestly think once I got the other medic up he and I could have revived the other 5 people in the time I spent trying to figure out what happened/waiting for the enemy come.
0 x

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 08 May 2017, 12:11

That sucks, Doug, seen it happy and had it happen many times. Were you on mic? 99% chance of being the guy who's kicked if you aren't able to talk.

Oh, and definitely get Nier... fucking AMAZING. One of the best games I've played this year... actually, the best game I've played this year.

Anyone else play 'We Happy Few'? Thoughts?
0 x

NotThatDoug

Post by NotThatDoug » 08 May 2017, 12:16

Yeah I had mic on, I had just told the guys who were down not to give up because I was there and going to revive them. hopefully they gave the squad leader an earful when I got booted.
0 x

Mini

Post by Mini » 08 May 2017, 12:25

I have looked at Nier a few times Mellie, thought it looked cool, but wasn't sure I would play it enough.
Seem to only be playing MP games these days, so the few SP games I have are being left unplayed.
Still need to play through Hitman.
0 x
Proudly supporting Player Attack through Patreon

Battle.Net - MiniSanders#1895
uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord

storm84

Post by storm84 » 08 May 2017, 12:28

I'm waiting for We Happy Few to come out of early access before I play it. Looks amazing though.
0 x

Nekosan

Post by Nekosan » 08 May 2017, 20:14

storm84 wrote:
08 May 2017, 12:28
I'm waiting for We Happy Few to come out of early access before I play it. Looks amazing though.
I backed it, played like 1 hour then shelved it because it's going to be amazing if it ever releases.
0 x
steamcommunity.com/id/krautpants

storm84

Post by storm84 » 08 May 2017, 20:28

I've backed a number of projects on Kickstarter and Fig, but We Happy Few is the only one that stands out as genuinely creative and novel. Something that looks fun and exciting without relying on nostalgia to sell it.
0 x

Stoibs

Post by Stoibs » 08 May 2017, 21:00

Nekosan wrote:
08 May 2017, 20:14
storm84 wrote:
08 May 2017, 12:28
I backed it, played like 1 hour then shelved it because it's going to be amazing if it ever releases.
Seem to be on the same wavelength here.
I messed about a bit in one of the first steam releases, and haven't touched it since.
Honestly tend to skim most of the KS updates talking about the Early Access and current build also, I just want to dive into it mostly blind and sight unseen when it actually launches.

Pretty much the same formula I follow for most of my KS games actually, like the Long Dark.. Finally going to get the story mode to that in a few months. :clap:
0 x

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 08 May 2017, 23:36

Right, so, I'm up to the very last boss-fight in my first playthrough of Nier. 9 hours in playtime with just 3 side-missions not complete (which I can get on the next playthrough).

Kinda got stuck playing Stellaris though. Something finally 'clicked' for me and I've gone from throwing it in in frustration to having an empire that spans a quarter of the galactic disc. Playing with low-aggression AI just to get a feel for things, lost a planet at one stage to mutants and almost lost it altogether as I figured out how to take it back. Getting to the point now where I figure I'll get invaded and find myself woefully unprepared but have my navy on the force-limit and reasonably well armed (had to make some compromises as I couldn't power the builds that I wanted).

I knew I'd love this... something about these 'grand strategy games' of Paradox or games with fiddly bits like Men of War Assault Squad 2 just make so much more sense to me than the feverish micro of games like CoH and Starcraft 2.

With that said.. it's nice, it's fun, it's complicated... but it doesn't tell stories anywhere near as well as EUIV. Doing an EUIV write-up back on the GoN forums always felt tremendously exciting as my alternate history came into being... but talking about space battles and the like just lacks the panache.

Next three days are all gaming days though as I wind down my 4 weeks of annual leave, looking forward to some more of everything.
0 x

Stoibs

Post by Stoibs » 09 May 2017, 06:59

Woo, speaking of KS games; keys for STRAFE are now being sent out.

I think I legitimately laughed when I saw the 90's cancerness of the website they are using for the key redemption page.
Very appropriately retro.
0 x

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 09 May 2017, 07:42

Ooooh Devolver.
0 x

NotThatDoug

Post by NotThatDoug » 09 May 2017, 09:41

Speaking of Nier, I was playing FFXV last night and while driving in the car was randomly flicking though the sound tracks I have, and there is the new Nier soundtrack in my list, I played it, was a good soundtrack.
0 x

Sathias

Post by Sathias » 09 May 2017, 10:38

Hmmm I want to get Prey, but I also have a $500 JB voucher coming from work at some stage, so the question is can I wait out until it arrives?
0 x
"Put the damn gun down, boy. It aint no toy." - Lite