This thread is for sign-ups only (thanks!)! Click here for discussion, questions, suggestions, speculations, and the like…
Confirmation PM's will go out from the 9th/10th December and MUST be replied to by the 17th! No excuses! If you miss this step you will miss the giftocalypse!!
If you are nice we may be able to fit late sign-ups in
- Sign-up closes: midnight GMT+10 11th December 2016
- Confirmations PM's sent: 9-11th December 2106
- PM replying deadline: midnight GMT+10 17th December 2016
- Secret Santas Sent Out: 18th December 2016
Put simply it's a Secret Santa but on the internet through our beloved Steam. Just like a regular Secret Santa, each person signed up will be given a random person to buy a gift for. At the end everybody participating should end up with a surprise game or two to play over the holidays.
How does it work?
I will take down a list of names, throw them at some code and it will spit out your super awesome giftee. You will receive a PM from me asking you to confirm your involvement of which your will receive your giftee's details upon your response. Once you have found something you would like to buy your giftee you need to do the following:
- Add https://steamcommunity.com/id/pasecretsanta/ to your friends list. I will only be accepting friend request from people whose name is in this sign-up thread. You might want to do this step early in the piece as I doubt you can send me a gift if I have not accepted your request beforehand.
- Choose "Send my gift directly through Steam" at the appropriate checkout step.
- Find and select "Player [Attack] Secret Santa" from your long list of friends, and click "Next >"
- In the personalise your gift section use the following template:
- Recipient's first name = Your giftee's steam name and/or ID.
- Gift message = if you require any additional instructions to me when delivering the message or you want me to to include a message when I send it on to them. You can also include their PA username if you feel so inclined like I did below to make it easier on me for my record keeping.
- Your signature = your PA username.
- Click send and bam, you have just gained a few Internets and a whole lot of karma!
Well, I am glad you asked. On my end I will receive the gift as you normally would except, when I accept them, I will bank them in my inventory instead of claiming them in my library:
If that gift's intended recipient has sent their giftee a present through me then I will send the above present on to its intended user in the same manner that it was sent to me:
All you need to do from here is wait for the:
Bringing the love:
Just how secret is this?
Completely! The old manner of gift given automatically added the gift giver to your Steam friends list which kind of ruined the super secret "ohhh, ahhh" of the Steamy Secret Santa. With the new way there is a PA account playing middle man so you can sure your kind-heartedness – or stinginess – will be a secret you take to the grave.
Is there a price limit on gifts?
Nope, buy as much as you want to! Not having limits allows more people to participate.
So what happens if I buy a $70 game and only receive a $5 game in return?
Well that's just how Secret Santa works. Some people do not have the extra money lying around to be as generous as they would like to be. The fun of a Secret Santa is giving someone a nice surprise for Christmas, so be as generous as you can be!
What's to stop someone from signing up, taking a gift and not giving one in return?
Because the handing out of gifts will go through me, gifts will not be given to people until they themselves have given one. Nobody will be getting a free ride.
Is gifting limited to Steam only?
No, but it's the best option because you are able to see your giftee's profile and wishlist. If you would like to give from different places that's fine, but make sure you are able to receive a code that can be transferred to your giftee.
Try your very best to go through Steam, however sites such as Humble Store, GOG.com, Greenmangaming are a few examples of other sites you can use if you would like. Hell, the gifts do not have to be games but they do need to be digital, or digitally transferred (giving is giving, whatever the type).
Remember if you are going to use a site outside of Steam SEND THE CODE TO ME IN A FORUM PM AND NOT TO THE STEAM ACCOUNT! I want to make sure I have a permanent record of all back and forth and Steam chat is not appropriate for that. Also, you must tell me what the codes are and what website/service that are for.
Sounds good, how do I sign up?
Easy, all you need to do is make a post with a link to your Steam profile in this thread. Make sure that your profile is set to public so that your Secret Santa knows what you have and what you want. You can also add the http://steamcommunity.com/id/gonsecretsanta account to your friends list while you are at it. But if you do not reply to the follow up PM that I will be sending once sign-ups have closed, you will not be a part of the event.
Don't forget to fill your wishlist with things you might like!
If you are unsure how find your profile and privacy settings follow the instructions hidden below (totally stolen from 2013 list most of these instructions because Novocaine is so damn awesome).
To find out or create your Steam profile URL go to Steam, click your name on the top bar and select "profile"
On your profile page select "Edit Profile"
Scroll down to "Custom URL" and enter a profile name. This will be the URL that your Secret Santa will need so they can see your game library and wishlist.
Make sure privacy settings are off, otherwise your Secret Santa cannot see your games library.
First go back to your profile and select "My Privacy Settings"
Set to public, scroll down, and Save Changes
That's it, you're done!
A few notes
- Sign-ups will close midnight GMT+10 11th December 2016.
- Deadline for replying to forum PM's regarding participation in the event: midnight GMT+10 17th December 2016.
- Please ensure your Steam profile URL stays the same throughout the duration of the event, otherwise your Secret Santa might have trouble getting you something you like.
- Be sure to check your private messages and your Steam gift alerts often so that my inbox/outbox are not backlogged and I can smoothly distribute giftees and gifts to you.
- There's no need to rush and buy gifts on the day you get your giftee. Steam sales will probably start in the second or third week of December and you will have a bit of the Winter sale and then a bit of the Christmas sale to buy lots of love for your giftee.
- Fill up your wishlist! Also, you can reorder your wishlist so you can really convey what games you might want, what games you may want and what games you must have. Not only the, but you must remove games from your wishlist that you already own! Steam games bought from external websites do not always remove themselves from your wishlist so you will end up without a game (no seriously, I cannot send games to people who already own that game in their library . So to avoid disappointment this Christmas, spend five minutes maintaining your wishlist while you wait for the sales to kick in ^^.).
<3, your Steamy Secret Santa Stocking Stuffer…[/color]