Star Wars: The Old Republic

This is where all the random stuff goes
Kendrite

Star Wars: The Old Republic

Post by Kendrite » 25 Dec 2016, 20:17

Anyone played Star Wars: The Old Republic?

http://www.swtor.com/

Is it worth the download if not planning on spending any money? Looking for something new to play and didn't know this existed.

Merry Christmas....
Last edited by Kendrite on 25 Dec 2016, 20:24, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Mugsy

Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic

Post by Mugsy » 25 Dec 2016, 21:05

I've heard that it's a pretty decent game but I'm not a fan of the combat system... normally it's ARPG or bust for me.

Other freebie games I can think of include:

Warframe
Warface
Heroes of the Storm
Alien Swarm
Unturned
Spiral Knights
Paladins

There's also Vindictus which keeps popping up in my steam recommendations but I've never tried.

There's also a free to play version of Dead or Alive 5 on Steam if that's your thing.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:
02 Dec 2018, 21:33
It'll look amazing shoved up his ass if he doesn't actually learn to play the fucking thing.

Kendrite

Post by Kendrite » 25 Dec 2016, 21:21

Wow, thanks.

Done Warframe and HoS - both fun but done.

Vindictus looks interesting. Hope the servers are OK for Aus players.

Funny, 10 years ago I remember when I knew every game coming out but now I haven't hear of half of them...

Many thanks.
0 x

Mythor

Post by Mythor » 25 Dec 2016, 21:24

Probably better if you subscribe to SWTOR since there's a bunch of bonuses for it. But if you've never played before you can try it for free and see how you go, a lot of the subscriber-only bonuses are level 10 or 20+. You can do the whole class storyline for free now too.

I've been looking at it again this evening as well. Tis the season for Star Wars. :D
0 x
"Me ate truck once." - Cookie Monster
Player Attack! - Diablo 3 Clan Details

Kendrite

Post by Kendrite » 25 Dec 2016, 21:30

Star Wars is working well in my house. Just had my 6 & 8 year old watch the originals with me and they loved them - was a blast. Not sure about the prequels...think some of them are rated M so might have to wait a bit.
0 x

Anon. E. Moose

Post by Anon. E. Moose » 25 Dec 2016, 22:49

I love SWTOR, every year I resub for a few months to play the new content and continue my class stories.

People keep hoping but honestly SWTOR is the closest we'll ever get to a KOTOR3. The restrictions on F2P are a lot better now than they used to be, you can play all 8 class stories from start to finish for free without having to grind side missions to keep on top of level requirements, and each expansion had greatly improved the story and game. I played through Knights of the Fallen Empire expansion earlier in the year and it's probably one of my favourite story related gaming experiences of 2016.

You can't go wrong with a price tag of "free"
0 x

lord_lobster

Post by lord_lobster » 26 Dec 2016, 00:27

Anon. E. Moose wrote:I love SWTOR, every year I resub for a few months to play the new content and continue my class stories.

People keep hoping but honestly SWTOR is the closest we'll ever get to a KOTOR3. The restrictions on F2P are a lot better now than they used to be, you can play all 8 class stories from start to finish for free without having to grind side missions to keep on top of level requirements, and each expansion had greatly improved the story and game. I played through Knights of the Fallen Empire expansion earlier in the year and it's probably one of my favourite story related gaming experiences of 2016.

You can't go wrong with a price tag of "free"
Yep this is what i do too.

I wouldn't call myself a regular but i do re sub when new content comes out.

Fully voiced quests is what really draws me to it, still kinda rare in mmo's.
0 x

Yurtles

Post by Yurtles » 26 Dec 2016, 15:01

I've tried to get into it twice now, I get fully invested and play the hell out of it for a month but then I just can't bring myself to play it any longer. I think it's the gameplay/combat that I get tired of and the story just isn't enough to carry me through. I certainly do enjoy it for the month that I'm into it though.
0 x
BorisBC wrote:Pro tip - if you have to spew in a car, spew down the (inside) front of your shirt. Trust me, it's a lot easier to clean spew off yourself than the interior of a car.

Kendrite

Post by Kendrite » 27 Dec 2016, 15:20

Decided to try a Vanguard first but thought the shooting mechanics seemed a bit off (I'm going to try again).

Now I've rolled a Jedi Guardian and must admit I'm having more fun.

Not sure I'd drop real money on the game but so far it's not too bad...
0 x

Kinky Kel

Post by Kinky Kel » 30 Dec 2016, 12:51

I do the same thing, but I'm a rather big fan of SWTOR. I tend to play for 6 months then rest for 6 then return. By far my favourite class and story has been inquisitor with Marauder coming a very close 2nd. Loved the commando and jedi knight line. nearly completed the imperial agent and after that I'll do Bounty Hunter I think.

I keep trying to con my friends into to playing it, but they're all straight up 'No'.
0 x

Disruptor4

Post by Disruptor4 » 30 Dec 2016, 16:14

Loved SW:ToR but I stopped playing just before the expansion... I pre-ordered it too... lol. Been tempted to start playing again for about a year but never got around to it.
Marauder player over here!
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 30 Dec 2016, 18:33

I love the cutscenes/trailers they keep releasing for this game. The Fallen Empire one in particular really impressed me:

0 x
CherryRed wrote:
02 Dec 2018, 21:33
It'll look amazing shoved up his ass if he doesn't actually learn to play the fucking thing.