Rumour - Fallout New Orleans

This is where all the random stuff goes
Sathias

Rumour - Fallout New Orleans

Post by Sathias » 20 Jan 2017, 10:42

Please please please this be true

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/0 ... next-game/
‘Project Louisiana’ is the name of oft-revered RPG studio Obsidian’s next game, they’ve revealed, along with a graphic implying farmlands and a quote about facing up to some grim reality. Now, last summer rumours flew that a ‘Fallout: New Orleans’ was in the offing, based on an unverified and subsequently removed European trademark registration.

A whole mess of people looked at Obsidian expectantly, given that they were behind – don’t mention the war – well-received Fallout 3 spin-off New Vegas. They all but shot down the idea – but now they’ve pointedly codenamed their new’un after New Orleans’ home state.

Farming, ‘Project Louisiana’ and talk of waking up to a world that God won’t save – sure sounds Fallouty, don’t it? But, let’s be clear here, it probably isn’t. They’re more than likely teasing us by deliberately giving something else a codename that will set tongues a-wagging.
The Fallout 4 engine, the makers of New Vegas, and set in the birthplace of Jazz? That would be freaking awesome if true.
0 x
"Put the damn gun down, boy. It aint no toy." - Lite

Karmic Skink

Re: Rumour - Fallout New Orleans

Post by Karmic Skink » 20 Jan 2017, 11:25

Even if true, I feel the level of success would depend on what degree of agency they have to mess around with the established fallout 4 formula.
0 x

Mythor

Post by Mythor » 20 Jan 2017, 12:32

Aren't Obsidian focusing more on their original IP stuff now?

New Orleans would be an interesting setting, quite different culturally, swamps full of gators and creatures that aren't native that could be interesting when mutated.

Assume we won't hear anything officially until a few months out from release again.
0 x
"Me ate truck once." - Cookie Monster
Player Attack! - Diablo 3 Clan Details

Ralph Wiggum

Post by Ralph Wiggum » 20 Jan 2017, 14:56

The Nuka World DLC for Fallout 4 had mutated gators.

Always up for a new Fallout game, though I would love to see a change in scenery primarily involving forests or snow. The Far Harbor DLC had wonderfully atmospheric woodlands. The sandy barren wastelands has been done to death.
0 x
RIP Games.On.Net.

Sathias

Post by Sathias » 20 Jan 2017, 16:49

They could also have some mutation-themed Voodoo type mythos in it as well

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louisiana_Voodoo

Ghoul Voodoo Witchdoctors and Super Mutant Jazz Musicians, bring it on :D
0 x

Matty

Post by Matty » 21 Jan 2017, 02:24

If this is to Fallout 4 what New Vegas was to Fallout 3 then I'm sold.
0 x
Matter of fact, I didn't even give you my coat!

storm84

Post by storm84 » 21 Jan 2017, 08:03

I'd play this.
0 x

Kendrite

Post by Kendrite » 21 Jan 2017, 08:37

Wow, I never did finish Fallout 4 and I think I was close to the end.

I'd re-install it but I can't even remember what I was doing. :shock:
0 x

Stoibs

Post by Stoibs » 22 Jan 2017, 09:07

Still haven't touched Shooty Mcshooty, non RPG, fake fallout game: Fallout 4.

If this promised to be an *actual* RPG and an *actual* Fallout game once again for the fans, (similar to how much better New Vegas was compared to F3) then I may be interested.
Seriously, simply advertising it as such with some screenshots of a *normal* dialogue system and a brief feature list fixing all the things that Bethesda broke would pique my interest and get me right onboard.
0 x

Matty

Post by Matty » 23 Jan 2017, 01:45

Stoibs wrote:Still haven't touched Shooty Mcshooty, non RPG, fake fallout game: Fallout 4.

If this promised to be an *actual* RPG and an *actual* Fallout game once again for the fans
Oh right, this again.
0 x

Stoibs

Post by Stoibs » 23 Jan 2017, 13:38

Yes, god forbid we have opinions that don't align to your own *Gasp* :o
Funnily enough, the general consensus and opinion of F4 have aligned more with what I was always complaining about over this last year or so from what I've seen online and in reviews now that the honeymoon phase and hype is over. The 'yes/No/Sarcasm(Yes)' non-existent dialogue system and the 'It's an alright standalone experience, terrible Fallout game/RPG though' phrases and memes that have been in circulation for a while now didn't invent themselves.. or.. maybe it's more accurate to say that they did invent themselves. :think:

I obviously want what's best for the series and as a release, ergo I'll point out the shortcomings and where the previous iteration went wrong and needed improvements.
In any event I'm not here to argue Matty, take that shit elsewhere.
I saw the thread title referencing a once favorite game series of mine, read the body of it and remembered/compared Obsidian's prior work within the franchise to what Bethesda still doesn't seem to 'get', and decided to also hop aboard the hype train whilst hoping for the best (If the rumors turn out to be true).
0 x

Sathias

Post by Sathias » 23 Jan 2017, 15:48

Stoibs wrote:Yes, god forbid we have opinions that don't align to your own *Gasp* :o
Funnily enough, the general consensus and opinion of F4 have aligned more with what I was always complaining about over this last year or so from what I've seen online and in reviews now that the honeymoon phase and hype is over. The 'yes/No/Sarcasm(Yes)' non-existent dialogue system and the 'It's an alright standalone experience, terrible Fallout game/RPG though' phrases and memes that have been in circulation for a while now didn't invent themselves.. or.. maybe it's more accurate to say that they did invent themselves. :think:
This seems like confirmation bias tbh. There are plenty of people, myself included, that think it's the best game Bethesda have released in a long time. I'm on about my 6th or 7th playthough atm.
0 x

Matty

Post by Matty » 23 Jan 2017, 20:28

Stoibs wrote:In any event I'm not here to argue Matty, take that shit elsewhere.
God forbid someone has an opinion that doesn't align to your own.

*Gasp*

:o
0 x

Otto-matic Reiffel

Post by Otto-matic Reiffel » 23 Jan 2017, 21:02

Guys, guys, guys. Can't we all just agree that Fallout Shelter is easily the best Fallout game both in terms of RPG elements and gameplay? :clap:
1 x

storm84

Post by storm84 » 23 Jan 2017, 21:24

As far as Fallout games go, it's hard to beat Wasteland 2. I keep getting killed early on.
0 x

Ralph Wiggum

Post by Ralph Wiggum » 23 Jan 2017, 22:25

I'm not going to disagree people's preference for the original Fallout games (1 & 2) but the fact is that Fallout 3 (and beyond) introduced the Fallout franchise to a whole new cohort of gamers who otherwise wouldn't have known about the series, myself included.
0 x
RIP Games.On.Net.

Yurtles

Post by Yurtles » 24 Jan 2017, 09:31

You filthy casual Ralph. I always suspected.
0 x
BorisBC wrote:Pro tip - if you have to spew in a car, spew down the (inside) front of your shirt. Trust me, it's a lot easier to clean spew off yourself than the interior of a car.

Stoibs

Post by Stoibs » 24 Jan 2017, 12:08

Was going to post on the 'Show us your latest purchase' thread but screw it, lets put it here for relevancy and for the sake of everyone calming down.

Yeah, I bought that today, literally picked it up about 30mins ago on my way to work after seeing it posted on reddit this morning. I've always maintained and commented that I would eventually grab it since I would assume that it still forwards the overall world lore and canon, and so I should probably experience it for myself. I now own Fallout 4 because it was finally a decent price that I was willing to pay for the product + the Season Pass + bonus book goodies it came with. (Actually I already had the history book as a separate purchase a little while ago, so I've got a spare to give away I guess..)

Will probably play Resident Evil 7 tonight, but I do want to get around to checking out Fallout 4 *For Myself* at somepoint just so I can see how the dialogue and RPG elements are, and if they confirm everything negative I've read about them. (heard there's a fixed dialogue mod also that actually writes everything out instead of the default vague phrases.. will definitely need to grab that)
I expect this to be a fun shooter/adventure game with city building elements with maybe some throwbacks and references/easter eggs dotted here and there; I'm already putting away preconceptions that this will be a good Fallout game or an RPG, so maybe that will help lessen the blow.
0 x