New floors!

Not just this area though, whole house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
0 x

Mugsy

Re: Show us your latest purchase - March 2017

Post by Mugsy » 02 Mar 2017, 22:55

Oooooh! New flooring is nice!

I've purchased bugger all lately. Probably will be the trend for a few more months while mum finishes up her cancer treatment. After mum and dad move back to their own home though... I got a lot of renos to get through (includes a leaking shower so it's more so a need than a want).
0 x

CherryRed

Post by CherryRed » 02 Mar 2017, 22:59

New flooring is super exciting, we've hated our old floors since the beginning of time and the new floors have made a huge difference to the look and feel of our home.

Renos are expensive, you just have to do them as you can - at the moment all that is in the foreseeable future for us is a bit of touch up painting, front gardens and perhaps some ceiling fans.

Long term we would love to replace the kitchen and bathroom... but, ugh, those are really exxy projects.

0 x

Stoibs

Post by Stoibs » 03 Mar 2017, 07:17

I hate my carpets, especially since it causes some rugs to messily bunch up.
Would love to get wooden flooring in if I had a sudden windfall or reasonable amount of disposable income :)
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 03 Mar 2017, 11:24

I had to replace the flooring for the bedrooms in my current place. The original carpets were badly damaged under the beds so weren't picked up on inspection. I went with bamboo flooring which unfortunately dents easier than expected. I'd spend a decent amount on timber next time.
0 x

Ralph Wiggum

Post by Ralph Wiggum » 03 Mar 2017, 13:26

New exercise shoes as my old pair I've had since 2014 have little tread left in them.
0 x
RIP Games.On.Net.

CherryRed

Post by CherryRed » 03 Mar 2017, 19:49

Mugsy wrote:I had to replace the flooring for the bedrooms in my current place. The original carpets were badly damaged under the beds so weren't picked up on inspection. I went with bamboo flooring which unfortunately dents easier than expected. I'd spend a decent amount on timber next time.
That's interesting to hear as we did consider bamboo. Our floor is actually vinyl plank, it's really hard to tell on both sight and feel as it even has the ridges in it to make it feel like timber - what gives it away is that it's not as noisy to walk on, which I consider a "pro".

The reason we didn't go with timber, bamboo or laminate is the fur-children, the guy basically said their nails would scratch and ruin the finish really quickly.

But we are so thrilled with our floors, I highly recommend you look into vinyl planking before discounting it completely.

0 x

Nekosan

Post by Nekosan » 03 Mar 2017, 20:19

I was going to go for laminate but the guy in the flooring place talked me out of it despite the vinyl being cheaper. After 20 years in the industry if you arent doing tiles then his opinion was vinyl>laminate>real wood>bamboo
0 x
steamcommunity.com/id/krautpants

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 03 Mar 2017, 20:22

CherryRed wrote:But we are so thrilled with our floors, I highly recommend you look into vinyl planking before discounting it completely.
I actually had vinyl in my old place and agree with all of your comments. Vinyl is tough as and doesn't dent easily . I had that wooden, timber finish too and was really happy with the flooring. But at the current place, I felt like a change (lived at the old place for 7yrs) and I must admit, I did feel the difference between the bamboo flooring and the vinyl flooring. Walking barefoot on the bamboo feels a lot nicer than vinyl and even timber for some reason... I guess this is subjective.

I wouldn't mind trying good quality timber just to see what it's like; though I should do some more research into how easily it damages. My initial research shows that it's tougher than bamboo.

But if I don't go for the timber, I'd definitely pick vinyl again for the durability. There are so many designs these days too.

EDIT: Informative info Neko.
0 x

Yurtles

Post by Yurtles » 03 Mar 2017, 21:12

I'm a cork man myself. Maybe not for the whole house, but lounge/dining room and kitchen for sure. Hardy enough and you never get cold feet in winter. The olds put in some of that vinyl planking stuff in their loungeroom. I think it's fine. It does the job with no real negatives that I've seen.
0 x
BorisBC wrote:Pro tip - if you have to spew in a car, spew down the (inside) front of your shirt. Trust me, it's a lot easier to clean spew off yourself than the interior of a car.

CherryRed

Post by CherryRed » 03 Mar 2017, 21:50

Nekosan wrote:I was going to go for laminate but the guy in the flooring place talked me out of it despite the vinyl being cheaper. After 20 years in the industry if you arent doing tiles then his opinion was vinyl>laminate>real wood>bamboo
Yep that was basically what we got told too - and we didn't want tiles, the climate here is just too cold unless you go to the expense of under floor heating etc.
Mugsy wrote:
CherryRed wrote:But we are so thrilled with our floors, I highly recommend you look into vinyl planking before discounting it completely.
I actually had vinyl in my old place and agree with all of your comments. Vinyl is tough as and doesn't dent easily . I had that wooden, timber finish too and was really happy with the flooring. But at the current place, I felt like a change (lived at the old place for 7yrs) and I must admit, I did feel the difference between the bamboo flooring and the vinyl flooring. Walking barefoot on the bamboo feels a lot nicer than vinyl and even timber for some reason... I guess this is subjective.

I wouldn't mind trying good quality timber just to see what it's like; though I should do some more research into how easily it damages. My initial research shows that it's tougher than bamboo.

But if I don't go for the timber, I'd definitely pick vinyl again for the durability. There are so many designs these days too.

EDIT: Informative info Neko.
Oh if you've got the two side by side, you'd absolutely feel the difference walking on them - it's just that if one is all you have, you don't immediately notice that it's not the real thing. I actually house sat for a couple for 2 years on and off whilst they did a heap of travelling and it wasn't until my 5th stay that I put on a pair of high heels and went "wtf?" when they didn't 'clack' on the floor as I walked. It was only then that I realised it was Vinyl plank.
Yurtles wrote:I'm a cork man myself. Maybe not for the whole house, but lounge/dining room and kitchen for sure. Hardy enough and you never get cold feet in winter. The olds put in some of that vinyl planking stuff in their loungeroom. I think it's fine. It does the job with no real negatives that I've seen.
I can't stand cork floors, relatives had cork floors in the 80's that were hideous and I've hated them ever since.

What I think looks phenomenal are floors or feature walls made from pennies... buuuuut you'd have to have the right style of home to pull it off and it would have to be done exceptionally well.
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 03 Mar 2017, 22:16

CherryRed wrote:Oh if you've got the two side by side, you'd absolutely feel the difference walking on them - it's just that if one is all you have, you don't immediately notice that it's not the real thing. I actually house sat for a couple for 2 years on and off whilst they did a heap of travelling and it wasn't until my 5th stay that I put on a pair of high heels and went "wtf?" when they didn't 'clack' on the floor as I walked. It was only then that I realised it was Vinyl plank.
Wasn't literally side by side. I was going between the new place doing renos/gradually moving stuff over and was still living at the old place for about 2-3 months so there was enough opportunity for me to get use to the difference. I had been use to Vinyl for 7yrs so the bamboo flooring immediately felt different. There's definitely a more natural, earthy feel to the bamboo for me... but that might be due to the type of bamboo boards I got.

Dad's first comment with the bamboo was that it also felt much nicer than the vinyl flooring at my old place and I thought I got pretty good quality vinyl too.

Again, it's a pretty subjective thing though, I do dread the day I rent out the current place. The bamboo flooring is so going to get damaged quickly. We I accidentally drop my keys, I always try to move my foot into it's path so it doesn't hit the bamboo directly. It's pretty crazy that I prefer to hurt myself than to damage my flooring but my logic is that at least I heal better - lol
0 x

CherryRed

Post by CherryRed » 03 Mar 2017, 22:25

Mugsy wrote:We I accidentally drop my keys, I always try to move my foot into it's path so it doesn't hit the bamboo directly. It's pretty crazy that I prefer to hurt myself than to damage my flooring but my logic is that at least I heal better - lol
Yeah that's just fucked - neither Disco or I would cope with a floor like that, our home is very much "lived in" and a floor like that would be well stuffed within 12 months.

I was impressed this arvo when Disco not only removed his shoes before going inside but also asked me if I'd remembered to take mine off (not realising I'd actually gone out shoe-less )

0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 03 Mar 2017, 22:32

CherryRed wrote:Yeah that's just fucked - neither Disco or I would cope with a floor like that, our home is very much "lived in" and a floor like that would be well stuffed within 12 months.
Yeah, I was always one of those people at Uni who could resell their textbooks as if it was brand new so it's not as big an issue for me as it is for most... "normal" people (for lack of a better word). Still annoying of course.
I was impressed this arvo when Disco not only removed his shoes before going inside but also asked me if I'd remembered to take mine off (not realising I'd actually gone out shoe-less )
LOL. You know someone loves their flooring when they're asking people if they've taken off their shoes. My bro was the same about his carpet... until he got his cat. When that thing barfed up all over his carpet, he just stopped caring about the carpet. She's a pretty adorable cat though.
0 x

CherryRed

Post by CherryRed » 03 Mar 2017, 23:03

Yeah that was us with our carpet, it was never great carpet to begin with but once my old dog lost his marbles and control of his bladder in his old age it was just rooted... then the others could smell his scent so they started peeling in that area and it was just foul in the end.

Carpet is the ideal floor in this climate as its cold 8 months of the year but we just knew it wasn't practical for our lifestyle.

0 x

Ralph Wiggum

Post by Ralph Wiggum » 04 Mar 2017, 00:10

CherryRed wrote:
Mugsy wrote:I had to replace the flooring for the bedrooms in my current place. The original carpets were badly damaged under the beds so weren't picked up on inspection. I went with bamboo flooring which unfortunately dents easier than expected. I'd spend a decent amount on timber next time.
That's interesting to hear as we did consider bamboo. Our floor is actually vinyl plank, it's really hard to tell on both sight and feel as it even has the ridges in it to make it feel like timber - what gives it away is that it's not as noisy to walk on, which I consider a "pro".

The reason we didn't go with timber, bamboo or laminate is the fur-children, the guy basically said their nails would scratch and ruin the finish really quickly.

But we are so thrilled with our floors, I highly recommend you look into vinyl planking before discounting it completely.

I've got timber (blackbutt) floors and haven't noticed any scratches from the dog or cat. Only damage has been from when I've dropped something heavy or just normal wear and tear. I reckon dirt (ie sand) is more likely to cause scratches, which means regular cleaning is more important.

Parents have got bamboo floors and haven't noticed any specific issues either.
0 x
RIP Games.On.Net.

linxus

Post by linxus » 04 Mar 2017, 09:14

...and thats me subscribed to Humble Monthly again. The base game = "The Witness". Since I didnt buy that Freedom bundle, this will have to do :P
0 x
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197975825451]Image[/url]

PirateEggs

Post by PirateEggs » 04 Mar 2017, 14:51

Some nifty wrenches. Going to make working on my motorbikes a lot easier.
and one of these, so I can light things up hands free.
0 x
ImageImage

storm84

Post by storm84 » 04 Mar 2017, 16:08

Did about 3 months worth of shopping in a day...

Local beer, wine, and coffee:

Hat and new sunnies:

DVD acquisitions:

Finally, new work shoes:

And now it's time to go back to being a stingy bastard.
0 x

CherryRed

Post by CherryRed » 05 Mar 2017, 10:51

Slightly off topic but I like the fabric on your couch Storm84

0 x

PALADiN

Post by PALADiN » 08 Mar 2017, 17:02

$355 thanks to me trading in my OG 500GB PS4. Also gave me 3 months PS+ for free thanks to EB's current promotion.
0 x
XBL/PSN/Origin/Uplay: PalZer0
Steam: http://www.steamcommunity.com/id/PALADiN
Twitter: @PalZer0

Disco

Post by Disco » 13 Mar 2017, 16:59

Gotta love Kmart!

Also hope anyone with OCD doesn't notice that the picture frame isn't hanging straight in the background :D
0 x
Nekosan wrote:
29 Mar 2018, 00:36
Disco is fkn banned from the flamethrower. :lol:

kharis

Post by kharis » 13 Mar 2017, 17:49

Kmart is great for clothes. Might have to grab one of those jumpers too :)
0 x