New TV Help

This is where all the random stuff goes
DarkMellie

New TV Help

Post by DarkMellie » 23 Oct 2017, 16:56

Hi friends,

my mum's TV has blown up and she needs a new one. Problem is, I'm way removed from knowing wtf is going on in TV land of late and i'm hoping you can all pitch in with some recommendations based on what she's asked below;
I have to buy a new one. I want a big screen again, but I am confused by Ultra HD, HD, OLED etc., etc. Do you have any idea about the new smart TVs and what I could purchase. JB Hifi have a Sony on special for just under $2000 and it looks fine. Not sure what size mine is but it must be around 65”.

I want the TV to act as a computer and go on line. Also they seem to make it easy to access You Tube, Netflix and Stan, and that would be great.
Thank you!
0 x

kharis

Re: New TV Help

Post by kharis » 23 Oct 2017, 17:46

think this is the one she is talking about
https://www.jbhifi.com.au/tv-home-enter ... tv/453467/

looks fine from a review point of view
https://www.productreview.com.au/p/sony-kd65x7500d.html

i got a hisense a little while ago and regret it now because plex doesnt work properly on it (it uses opera as an os) anything running android based stuff is fine and sonys tend to last a while
0 x

Ralph Wiggum

Post by Ralph Wiggum » 24 Oct 2017, 16:09

I’m going a TV buy phase right now so hopefully can help:

Firstly, TV size is like the internet. It’s great to upsize, but to downsize kinda sucks. You become so accustomed to your current size so if possible try to keep the size the same.

In terms of Ultra HD, HD, OLED, here are my two cents:

OLED – the current benchmark and cream of the crop in terms of displays right now. Blackest blacks, vibrant colours. It comes at a cost however. I’m still deciding on this one. Not to be confused with Samsung’s QLED, which is nice but not the same.

Ultra HD, ala 4K – pretty much the new standard in terms of resolution. But to get the most advantage you need to have a new 4k player (pricey right now), or start streaming in 4K which isn’t much available/practicle in Oz.

HD, ala 1080p – been around for a decade or so. Certainly not obsolete, but you may as well future-proof yourself.

In terms of smart features, most TV’s released in the past years come with smart functionalities with access to apps, at least the big brand ones do. Some TVs use android TV as their OS.
0 x
RIP Games.On.Net.

Disco

Post by Disco » 24 Oct 2017, 16:29

I'm still banging the Aldi 65" tv I bought just over 12 months ago now.. $799 and the best TV I've ever owned.
0 x
Nekosan wrote:
29 Mar 2018, 00:36
Disco is fkn banned from the flamethrower. :lol:

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 28 Oct 2017, 07:58

Not sure if these are the best prices but there's a Super Saturday sale at Harvey Norman:

https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/338153

Check prices on StaticIce.com.au I guess.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:
02 Dec 2018, 21:33
It'll look amazing shoved up his ass if he doesn't actually learn to play the fucking thing.

Nekosan

Post by Nekosan » 29 Oct 2017, 00:06

ATM I'd wait until either HN or Good Guys have 20% off on ebay, it includes many of the catalog specials. Had a $2700 samsung down to $1900 last week in cat & then Ebay did 20% off that.
0 x
steamcommunity.com/id/krautpants