Electricity Suppliers

This is where all the random stuff goes
CherryRed

Electricity Suppliers

Post by CherryRed » 25 Jan 2016, 02:05

We're currently with AGL and I've *never* contacted them and asked for a better rate; when I first bought our house I was young and didn't really realise you could do that, I assumed the price of power was the price of power. Anyway, I've been meaning to look into this for a long time and am only just getting around to it.

AGL are currently charging us a daily supply fee of $1.31/day plus $0.32/kWh... a friend who lives nearby is with AGL and their supply fee is around $1.24/day and their rate is $0.24/kWh.

Did a bit of research online and most comparison websites seem to suggest a company called Powershop is the best option for us; daily supply fee of $0.92 and a rate of $0.22/kWh, which with our average usage would bring us a saving of close to $1000/year. They also bill monthly, and you have an app you can log into on your phone to apparently monitor your usage/bill (not sure how that works).

I've emailed them for an official quote, but I've never heard of them before... anyone here had any experience with them?
0 x
Mugsy wrote:
09 Oct 2018, 21:26
I was raised to not do things I wouldn't want done to myself. And that's why anal sex is off the agenda.

Mini

Re: Electricity Suppliers

Post by Mini » 25 Jan 2016, 08:08

Never heard of them... I need to look into mine again, currently with Red Energy.
We had done the same as you though, young and chose the easiest to get installed (Happened to be Origin) and then didn't check for better for about 5 years...

Managed to save a chunk with the move though.
0 x
Proudly supporting Player Attack through Patreon

Battle.Net - MiniSanders#1895
uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord

Disruptor4

Post by Disruptor4 » 25 Jan 2016, 09:20

Yeah I'm with Red Energy. No idea what my rates are tbh. Really should look into it I suppose. I think I signed up for a 12 or 24 month contract to reduce the rates and get a 10% discount or something? I don't remember lol.
So bad! Definitely something to look into though to save money
0 x

kharis

Post by kharis » 25 Jan 2016, 09:37

Yeah I'm with dodo (I know they were cheapest at the time) should have another look
0 x

CherryRed

Post by CherryRed » 25 Jan 2016, 09:37

My brother is with Red Energy as well, and they seem quite happy.
0 x
Mugsy wrote:
I was raised to not do things I wouldn't want done to myself. And that's why anal sex is off the agenda.

Mini

Post by Mini » 25 Jan 2016, 09:58

I get a book of discounts with Red too... not that I have ever used any of them.. :(
0 x

uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord

CherryRed

Post by CherryRed » 25 Jan 2016, 10:00

Just recieved the quote from Powershop... the following is based on on-time payment being made:

Daily access charge: $1.3104/day
Supply charge: $0.173040/kWh (flat rate)

Currently our access charge is $1.3551/day so their access charge would bring an annual saving of just $16.31 - but our current flat rate supply charge is $0.3252/kWh (we average 15kWh/day) so their rate of $0.173040 would bring an annual saving of around $833. All up our power would be $200/quarter cheaper. They have also offered me a $75 credit.

There's a pretty good FAQ on their website (http://www.powershop.com.au/questions-answered/) but some things I thought sounded cool were:

- They bill monthly instead of quarterly
- You can choose to buy 'power packs' in advance when they have special offers to maximise savings
- If you don't purchase a power pack in advance, they just charge your preferred payment method (and you still get the pay on time discount)
- The app keeps you up to date (just enter your own meter reading at any time and it'll calculate your usage etc)

Pretty tempted to make the switch to be honest, just going to look up some reviews.
0 x
Mugsy wrote:

CherryRed

Post by CherryRed » 25 Jan 2016, 10:12

Hmmm, reading some questionable reviews - their rate isn't locked in, it can fluctuate and there's a lot of people saying that when their energy use drops (which ours does in winter as our heating is gas) that the bump up the price per kWh.

Red Energy has good reviews and there's still a decent saving to be had there; daily average cost after pay on time discount is $3.99/day compared with $6.23/day with AGL.
0 x
Mugsy wrote:

Nekosan

Post by Nekosan » 25 Jan 2016, 19:42

North Queensland reporting in, we have the following suppliers:

* Ergon

Feels bad man.
0 x
steamcommunity.com/id/krautpants

CherryRed

Post by CherryRed » 25 Jan 2016, 22:07

Really???

Well I ended up talking to AGL and given that our account is $1200+ in credit (oops), it seems they didn't want to lose us - they knocked 25% off our rates, switched us to monthly billing and offered 20% pay on time discount. Soooo after all that, we'll stay where we are for now and see how it goes but essentially we should save about $1000/year on our energy costs. This makes me happy.
0 x
Mugsy wrote:

.♥. Cupcake .♥.

Post by .♥. Cupcake .♥. » 26 Jan 2016, 15:28

I'm in the market for a good electricity supplier myself, just got a whopping bill for the month of December... through the roof! We all knew Melbourne cost of living is super high, but this isn't helping us right after the Xmas spending.
Is Red Energy available in Vic? Otherwise some personal reviews from you all for Vic companies would be appreciated.
0 x

Mini

Post by Mini » 26 Jan 2016, 16:45

Yes Red is available in Vic... I'm in Bendigo and have it.

Edit: Also depends what you want... if you want to be able to monitor your usage, then Origin may be a better option.
0 x

uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord

CherryRed

Post by CherryRed » 26 Jan 2016, 17:09

Cupcake, not sure how you guys manage it but I get sick to death of power bills rolling in every 3 months and raping out bank account (especially when I was single) so I worked out from past usage roughly what my 12 month expenditure would be, divided it by 24 (number of times I am paid each year) and set up a scheduled b-pay to occur each time I got paid (so, say my annual power bill is $1500, then I pay $65/pay onto my account) which means by the time the bill arrives it is usually fully paid or slightly in credit. Works a treat for us, can't remember the last time a gas or electricity bill stressed me out and I barely notice the money disappearing as its incremental.
0 x
Mugsy wrote:

Matty

Post by Matty » 26 Jan 2016, 17:16

That's what I do too, except I put it into a bank account and just pay every quarter instead of directly going into b-pay. It's good budgeting etiquette.
0 x
Matter of fact, I didn't even give you my coat!

kharis

Post by kharis » 26 Jan 2016, 17:21

I have a fort nightly direct debit with dodo and if my bill ends up vein more than I've paid I just pay the extra.
0 x

CherryRed

Post by CherryRed » 26 Jan 2016, 17:23

Yeah I used to do that too Matty, but found all too often that something would 'pop up' and we'd dip into it, then the bill would arrive and cause stress.

I get that it's better to keep it in our account for as long as possible but we're a bit crap when it comes to discipline, something we're slowly getting better at.

But yeah, for that reason paying it directly onto the account works better for us at the moment. I do that with gas, electricity, phone, rates, body corporate fees and water.
0 x
Mugsy wrote: