Who hates Death Debt???

Welcome to the NWN forums!
Navarre

Who hates Death Debt???

Post by Navarre » 18 Nov 2016, 14:54

Not a poll, no need to run one the answer will be EVERYONE!

So, this coming Sunday night I am offering anyone, any char under 40, the opportunity to have their death debt wiped.

If you have a char (or more!) that you gave up playing because of a few ill timed deaths this is your opportunity to wipe the slate clean and start again afresh with full XP on your next kill.

Dust off your char list, and meet me in game Sunday night from 7pm (SA time - go convert it yourself!)

-Nav-
0 x
'Of all the things I ever lost, I miss my mind the most'

haloeight

Re: Who hates Death Debt???

Post by haloeight » 18 Nov 2016, 18:45

Andd.........I just cleared most of my death debts!

I think I still have a bit left on some of the chars though.
0 x

Sapphire

Post by Sapphire » 19 Nov 2016, 05:36

This is bizaar the way death is handled on this mod is the most friendly I have ever experienced on any NWN world I have played on...
Am currently in process when I can of working off an 36k death penalty .. still got like near 15k left to work off ... For me at least it is not really an issue moreover is the lack of available playing time at the moment is an issue for myself...

The original Nordock ( which this mod is a basis for) was a horrible death penalty not only could you actually lose levels but you then got something called a soul fragment which reduced your xp to about 15% of normal til you got like 20k gold per level to have it removed... I recall having several players that got auto deleted because death ment going in to minus xp count ( ie' less than zero ) You'd get a instant message saying "character is dead perminately due to NO xp ", or similar ...

It ment if you wanted to play those early Nordock mods you were stuck on killing rats in the sewers for like at least 5 levels very very boring...

Still if some want to get their penalties removed then go for it but I am happy to work mine off my other characters other than that is my Sunday RP group character Bella ...
0 x

haloeight

Post by haloeight » 19 Nov 2016, 12:19

I guess the goal of a game is to aim for an enjoyable playing experience. I don't think killing rats for 5 levels would be any fun at all!
Sapphire wrote:This is bizaar the way death is handled on this mod is the most friendly I have ever experienced on any NWN world I have played on...
Am currently in process when I can of working off an 36k death penalty .. still got like near 15k left to work off ... For me at least it is not really an issue moreover is the lack of available playing time at the moment is an issue for myself...

The original Nordock ( which this mod is a basis for) was a horrible death penalty not only could you actually lose levels but you then got something called a soul fragment which reduced your xp to about 15% of normal til you got like 20k gold per level to have it removed... I recall having several players that got auto deleted because death ment going in to minus xp count ( ie' less than zero ) You'd get a instant message saying "character is dead perminately due to NO xp ", or similar ...

It ment if you wanted to play those early Nordock mods you were stuck on killing rats in the sewers for like at least 5 levels very very boring...

Still if some want to get their penalties removed then go for it but I am happy to work mine off my other characters other than that is my Sunday RP group character Bella ...
0 x

kittycatArcane

Post by kittycatArcane » 19 Nov 2016, 14:54

Sapphire wrote:This is bizaar the way death is handled on this mod is the most friendly I have ever experienced on any NWN world I have played on...

That's the system we had originally in place, about a decade ago. I absolutely do not miss the xp loss! Besides, we still have soul fragments, but they're not too expensive to get rid of, fortunately.

Party portals used to cost gp too, so glad that was changed :lol:
0 x
Edon Characters: Fade Draschen, Kreznomaar Vorin, Aedvulf, Arkuel Fay'drithe, Kaillyn Cylvaril, Kyreen Fay'drithe

Sathias

Post by Sathias » 19 Nov 2016, 17:27

I remember when we added the death debt system to the mod, I ended up copping an earful from a player who thought the old xp-loss system was better somehow O_o I tried to explain that the amount of xp "loss" per death was the same, but capped, and at least you are still always moving forward rather than going backwards.
0 x
"Put the damn gun down, boy. It aint no toy." - Lite

Navarre

Post by Navarre » 19 Nov 2016, 17:44

Players are welcome to decide to not use this offer, this a free of charge, no 'cookies' required chance to wipe out any debt you might have. It is not to say that the death debt system is flawed in anyway, shape or form but it might encourage old players to dust off a few chars, clear the debt on un-played, under level 40 chars, and take another stabby mcstab-stab at running around on the server.

You never know, hang around long enough in the gateway and you might find some one to form a party with, then you are free to run around, get killed and rack up some more debt.

Remember 7pm tomorrow night!

-Nav-
0 x
'Of all the things I ever lost, I miss my mind the most'

Sathias

Post by Sathias » 19 Nov 2016, 18:10

It's a cool idea Nav :) Might pop in myself
0 x
"Put the damn gun down, boy. It aint no toy." - Lite

kittycatArcane

Post by kittycatArcane » 19 Nov 2016, 19:19

Sathias wrote:I remember when we added the death debt system to the mod, I ended up copping an earful from a player who thought the old xp-loss system was better somehow O_o I tried to explain that the amount of xp "loss" per death was the same, but capped, and at least you are still always moving forward rather than going backwards.
I think I remember him. I asked him if he would rather potentially lose levels every time he died and he actually said yes...
0 x
Edon Characters: Fade Draschen, Kreznomaar Vorin, Aedvulf, Arkuel Fay'drithe, Kaillyn Cylvaril, Kyreen Fay'drithe

RR_Texan

Post by RR_Texan » 20 Nov 2016, 01:06

I hated losing levels, because it always seems that you just got your new item, put it on, died. Then if you had sold your old item you were out of luck.
0 x

Gotrek1966

Post by Gotrek1966 » 20 Nov 2016, 18:18

I always thought the new death debt was so much better than the old lose a level rubbish and am happy with it.
Hence when I give out "God tokens" I always say "Use them later when you have a massive debt". But alas people still use them on low level chars where debt is a pitance to get rid of.
0 x