ALOE Server discussion

Welcome to the NWN forums!
Maditay

ALOE Server discussion

Post by Maditay » 22 Dec 2016, 03:12

Hey all,

Prior to the GON Network closing down, the admins began discussions as to where the new home of ALOE would be. Alot of things have happened in the time since that closure but unfortunately it seems that we may not be able to gain the files that we needed to transfer all the old module to another server provider.

We are bitterly disappointed to say the least.

So this means that we really have two options and we wanted too open up the discussion and gain the communities thoughts. The options we see available is as follows:

1. Continue as we are until TPG close the existing server and ALOE no longer exists.
2. Find a new provider (if we are able too) and start a fresh module/ALOE.

Please know that we will continue trying to get the existing files so that there will be a smooth transition but we are being realistic and have concerns that we could lose the server in the near future, TPG/Iinet have not been at all cooperative.

I dont think I really need to explain the first option but the second has some consequences. Firstly it will be a lot of work by the admins and dms, parts of the module will need to be redone/overhauled but on the plus side it does mean we can clear some of the rubbish out of it and it will be a far nicer module to play! Secondly, you will be able to save your character locally and then transfer it over to the new server but you will lose everything. Your character will need to be rebuilt, items will need to be replaced and levels redone.

At the moment I would ask that players save their characters onto their own pc, take screenshots of your levels (everything, crafting,, etc). Take screenies of any personalised items and equipment. Basically anything that you would really like to have replaced/kept.

So what are people's thoughts? Feel free to ask questions if you have them and we'll try to answer with the information that we already know.
0 x

Alkarl

Re: ALOE Server discussion

Post by Alkarl » 22 Dec 2016, 10:24

I'm not surprised that TPG doesn't want to cooperate.

I'd prefer some form of ALOE to no ALOE at all.
I wouldn't mind a reboot on an overhauled module and I'd be happy to help out if I can. (Although getting all those items crafted again will be incredibly painful...)

I suppose the other problem is how many dedicated players do we have left :(

EDIT: I've backed up my characters anyway - including the ones I've abandoned :P
Don't really have any personalised items other then the Cowl of Warding that Painy transmuted into a wolf helm for Al
0 x

Fraggermuffin

Post by Fraggermuffin » 22 Dec 2016, 21:29

TBH this is not unexpected (for me, at least).

Is it really feasible for DM's to replace every level, item etc for every character? How many characters per player? That seems like a really unreasonable amount of work.

The only thing I would want is my crafting levels and a few Ultra Rares. However, I do think that gems and runes need to be made much more common. ie Superlative Gem as reward for finishing Wings, Dragon Hunters, Planes etc.
0 x
Solo ranter.

André Axe'm

Post by André Axe'm » 23 Dec 2016, 10:45

It would be much much simpler if everyone is happy with starting new characters. I can tweak the time investment required to get things.
0 x

Sapphire

Post by Sapphire » 23 Dec 2016, 13:13

Having myself only joined some six months ago and not having that much to lose I would not mind a restart too much... But having said that I have to say it is probably less desirable to those whom have put countless years into their characters and I have to respect that... Thus my thoughts are with those concerned in losing so much more than I...
Following that, I could not add voice really, to either option suggested above and am inclined to leave such choice's to those whom are effected by such drastic measures to restart their characters after putting so much work in those characters...

One suggestion I could put forward though if a restart is on the cards is to give those characters/players drastically effected would be to give a high number of Edon tokens to spend in recovering items of value to each effected case as sort of recognition of previously earned status's in crafting achievements...
0 x

cedon

Post by cedon » 23 Dec 2016, 16:05

I certainly can't call myself a dedicated player any more, but even I'd hate to see ALOE disappear into the bit void (gee thanks, iiNet and TPG *sarcasm*).

Would the DMs actually have to create every item for every "new" character, though? A character's inventory is stored in a local BIC file (assuming a player does the requisite local save). I would hope (don't know, just hoping here) that means the devs/builders only need to (re)create the palette once and characters' inventories would be restored along with their level and stats (which is definitely stored in the BIC). That doesn't help for unique items I realise.

Of course, there's still the matter of quest completions, crafting and the Scourge tallies (and for completionist players, shark and rat whisker counts *grin*).

In any case, I wish everybody involved the very best of luck. Who knows, maybe TPG/iiNet will get some seasonal spirit and finally come through?
0 x

Fraggermuffin

Post by Fraggermuffin » 23 Dec 2016, 16:12

André Axe'm wrote:It would be much much simpler if everyone is happy with starting new characters. I can tweak the time investment required to get things.
My suggestion would be to automatically give every character 20 levels in each craft. I'm probably not alone in the view that having to redo all my crafting levels would prevent me from coming back. I just don't have that kind of free time any more.
0 x
Solo ranter.

Alkarl

Post by Alkarl » 23 Dec 2016, 16:40

Woo, free crafter!

I don't mind starting a new character, but I'd definitely not be making a crafter :P
0 x

Fraggermuffin

Post by Fraggermuffin » 24 Dec 2016, 16:56

Alkarl wrote: I suppose the other problem is how many dedicated players do we have left :(
That's an interesting point/question. When the forum ported over to Player Attack all kinds of people came out of the woodwork, and have mostly drifted away since. Probably due to the stagnant state of the server and bugs that couldn't be fixed, due to a lack of server access.

Will those people come back? I'm guessing just about everyone that plays/played Edon is friends with others who play. Word should be able to get around, hopefully gaining some players back.

But, will people come back to no characters? I think the grindiness will have to be scaled back a lot as most of us are older now, with more time constraints. Not in terms of xp, but more in terms of items, gems and runes.

Here's a few suggestions in that line of thought.

*Double (triple?) the rate of rune drops.
*Have gems as quest rewards. ie peerless for lower planes, superlative for wings/Dragon Hunter's. Reduce the gold cost of converting gems.
*Increase the rate of ultra rare drops. Remove the terrible ultra rares. Be able to choose which ultra rare Signum grants from his token quest. Make some of those tokens a bit more likely to drop.
0 x
Solo ranter.

kittycatArcane

Post by kittycatArcane » 24 Dec 2016, 17:42

Agreed on reducing the grindiness. XP isn't really too big of an issue with the addition of being able to use tokens/gems to assist, but the rate of gem/rune/item drops is insanely low. In fact, the rate of peerless/superlative gem drops (and the expense to make more) is the main holdback for people trying to craft their gear.

I'd also say it would be a good idea to increase the gold from scrapping again - we don't have so many people around anymore to warrant the massive markdown in prices, especially with the cost of crafting upper-level items remaining the same (including the expense of things like Ingots of Enhancement or the other crafting gems).

Generally agreeing with Frag once more on dedicated players - we have more than we think, but a lot drifted to the outskirts because we can't fix anything right now.
0 x

Fraggermuffin

Post by Fraggermuffin » 24 Dec 2016, 23:26

Given that this is a RP server, would a reset be the equivalent of the Scourge winning? Decimating Edon, with only scattered survivors? Are all our cities going to be in ruins? :P
0 x
Solo ranter.

RR_Texan

Post by RR_Texan » 25 Dec 2016, 01:57

I agree with the main sentiment here. I could not invest in a replacement crafter. As for building/re-building other chars, I'm fine with it. I do have specialized chars for each "boss" in the game, but building them is fun and really doesn't require much time to get them built.

It is finding/acquiring the gems needed to craft, but I could deal with that if necessary.
0 x

kaoscvn

Post by kaoscvn » 26 Dec 2016, 16:13

I think a compromise would be reasonable. I would be in favor of giving people their crafting levels, it would be a big bonus if we had to redo everything.... if we have the craftspeople to make good things, we'll make it happen. And if there was to be a new chapter in the endless war that is Edon, it would have to be because we gave the Scourge such a pounding that they had to retreat!
0 x

Trickster

Post by Trickster » 27 Dec 2016, 23:32

I feel like I should know this, but how do I save my character locally?

I think I have thousands of hours invested in 60+ characters, but I've had my fun with them, the investment paid itself already. I'm ok with starting from scratch. I'll just take a screeny of my crafter levels though, there's a lot of hours there.
0 x

kittycatArcane

Post by kittycatArcane » 28 Dec 2016, 06:12

Trickster wrote:I feel like I should know this, but how do I save my character locally?

I think I have thousands of hours invested in 60+ characters, but I've had my fun with them, the investment paid itself already. I'm ok with starting from scratch. I'll just take a screeny of my crafter levels though, there's a lot of hours there.
Options menu -> "Save Character" along the top
0 x

Iona

Post by Iona » 28 Dec 2016, 16:11

I have two crafters, trivial in all crafts at lvl 20 and 10 Mythic schematics each and consider myself a dedicated player. So I know about the time invested. Several other chars which can be made again np.
However sounds like the Admin team and DM's have a massive work load on their hands. So to keep Edon, our wonderful world, I am prepared to start from scratch reluctantly.
If a compromise can be made great! But not at the risk of burning out the team, we need them!

Iona
0 x

Kortarnus

Post by Kortarnus » 30 Dec 2016, 15:41

I was more wondering on the time frame of when this decision ( either option ) was likely to happen. i don't play as much anymore, and when i do its usually with my crafter Alainra. But all said and done, she can be remade. ( i'll even go grind for scurge tokens again )
0 x

haloeight

Post by haloeight » 01 Jan 2017, 21:59

I chimed in a bit back on this as I know one of the managers on the TPG side but he said he doesn't really have anything to do with the former Internode side.

TPG's acquisition strategy is a long game and they often run a takeover as it's own entity for years before assimilating.

I'm good with this -

..."you will be able to save your character locally and then transfer it over to the new server but you will lose everything. Your character will need to be rebuilt, items will need to be replaced and levels redone."

Starting again from scratch would be a difficult proposition. In no way do I have the time these days to start a crafter from scratch or even gearing up again would be quite difficult. I spent probably hundreds of hours grinding tigers and stuff to get some of the unique items some chars depend on.

In addition to that, due to the changes in the player base, it would be prudent to make the module a little more accessible to any new recruits. MMO's have changed a lot since the module started and I'm not saying make it easier, but the grind up to being somewhat useful can be hard without party play now. I know we want party play and it's what builds a community but the options are limited right now. I'm for some of the suggestions which include (plus some of my own) -

1. Increasing scrapping gold
2. Perhaps looking at higher XP from say level 1-10 or so of the crafting levels to encourage new crafters
3. Perhaps look at winding back the scourge and find a new challenge (if the module needs rebuilding it would be nice to freshen up)
4. Remove many of the superfluous maps
5. Refresh a few of the old legacy quests and replace some, perhaps also make the quest train a bit more fluid up to lvl 21 or so

I'm happy to invest some time helping with any dev work on something new. I haven't done any NWN dev before but I'm a decent coder and I'm sure I could pick it up pretty quickly.
0 x

Maditay

Post by Maditay » 02 Jan 2017, 00:07

Thanks all for the discussion and the thoughts and ideas on what path to take. There is no time frame as yet because the Admins/DM's really needed to get an idea if the community would support a new server and the changes that would bring.

We'll have the discussion now as to what we think we can ideally achieve and how best to proceed. We'll keep everyone informed here on the forums but please continue giving us your thoughts and ideas.

Please remember to routinely save your characters locally.
0 x

Sapphire

Post by Sapphire » 02 Jan 2017, 10:59

I would vote for a new server because in the main it gives the control back where it belongs that of the admin here... The ability to make changes and fix bugs is why I would opt for it, but as said previously as am relatively a new comer to ALOE my thoughts are with those that have much more to lose...

Ho and BTW ... A very happy new year to one and all in the lands of Edon even the scourge (no not really)...
0 x

Fraggermuffin

Post by Fraggermuffin » 02 Jan 2017, 11:26

Yeah, we definitely need a new server. Was Player Attack still an option for hosting?

I don't mean to pressure our great Dev/DM team, but I feel like the sooner the better. Without certainty it feels kind of pointless playing as things stand. Initially I don't think things need to change too much Dev wise for a new server. That could be done over time.
0 x
Solo ranter.

haloeight

Post by haloeight » 02 Jan 2017, 15:14

When I've caught old players having a cruise through in game, the number one question has been "Is there any current development?"

I think there's a fair chance with a re-spin of the server we could be the best NWN server worldwide, which might draw some new players/old players back in.

Right now, much as Frag has said, with the stagnation and questions of the future, a lot of people are asking why bother investing time into their character.

As always, the devs are incredible etc, but I'm sure everyone gets what I mean in the correct context.
0 x

TuscanMadakaius

Post by TuscanMadakaius » 03 Jan 2017, 16:29

I'm all for a new server with a fresh start. It would be awesome to start some of my big bads over again...
0 x

Maditay

Post by Maditay » 16 Jan 2017, 22:21

We've secured a new server and are now working to update Edon so we can start afresh. The old server will continue as is and the DM's will of course still help out and reset it but once the new server is up and running and we are happy that all is working as it should we'll be moving over.

It's sad but it seems to be the only way we can continue Edon.
0 x

haloeight

Post by haloeight » 16 Jan 2017, 22:35

Thanks for your hard work here, that is great news. If you need any assistance with dev or anything let me know.
Maditay wrote:We've secured a new server and are now working to update Edon so we can start afresh. The old server will continue as is and the DM's will of course still help out and reset it but once the new server is up and running and we are happy that all is working as it should we'll be moving over.

It's sad but it seems to be the only way we can continue Edon.
0 x