News page reply posting

Want a new group or a setting changed, this would be a good place to ask.
HunterKiller

News page reply posting

Post by HunterKiller » 04 Dec 2015, 13:59

Why do we need to be logged into facebook to reply to a news article on your main page?

That would have to be one of the worse things ive ever seen, why cant we just use our forum username to post instead of being forced to use crappy facebook (of all things).

Thanks.
0 x

GamingKen

Re: News page reply posting

Post by GamingKen » 04 Dec 2015, 14:05

All news articles post to the forum now too, so forum profiles can be used to comment and discuss (like old gon days) viewforum.php?f=18

I'm not a Facebook user, so I get the dislike for that comment system. It was one of my first concerns too, but honestly now I don't even look for comments there (as Ghostery blocks them for me anyway) and just use the forum news posts for comments.
0 x

Mythor

Post by Mythor » 04 Dec 2015, 14:21

HunterKiller wrote:Why do we need to be logged into facebook to reply to a news article on your main page?
That would have to be one of the worse things ive ever seen, why cant we just use our forum username to post instead of being forced to use crappy facebook (of all things).
The website was very recently redesigned at which point Facebook took over from the old comment system. A lot of people comment on Facebook itself, not everyone has a big issue with it.
At the time of the redesign there wasn't a forum to link to. Forum came up, posts now get linked in the forum so you can comment here if you like. Believe having forum comments on the front page is being looked at but don't hold your breath on that one. Wordpress-phpBB bridges are notorious for being rubbish. :(
1 x
"Me ate truck once." - Cookie Monster
Player Attack! - Diablo 3 Clan Details

HunterKiller

Post by HunterKiller » 04 Dec 2015, 21:38

Ok fair enough, although I dont really like looking for things in the forums, thats why I liked GON news, I could read the news post my thoughts on it then log off, I dont really want to read the news then have to come into the forums to find that article to post on it, to much of a pain.

So until then keep the news coming but ill just stay silent, lol.
0 x

village idiot

Post by village idiot » 21 Dec 2015, 13:20

I came here to post a suggestion on the very issue. I understand there are sometimes technical problems with the forum comments being on the front page, but that Facebook comment thing at the bottom is horrible and splits any conversation on the topic between the facebook comments and the forum comments.

Don't we want to encourage people to use the form?

At the moment, the problem is that if you want to comment on the forum regarding a news topic you have to manually go to the news forum and find the topic.

Couldn't a short term fix be at the end of every article you just write something like "want to discuss this further head over to our forums [and insert the actual forum link to the topic]" - you can even leave the crappy Facebook comments section that no one uses there, who cares.
0 x
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197961039592]Image[/url]

HunterKiller

Post by HunterKiller » 24 Dec 2015, 14:39

village idiot wrote:I came here to post a suggestion on the very issue. I understand there are sometimes technical problems with the forum comments being on the front page, but that Facebook comment thing at the bottom is horrible and splits any conversation on the topic between the facebook comments and the forum comments.

Don't we want to encourage people to use the form?

At the moment, the problem is that if you want to comment on the forum regarding a news topic you have to manually go to the news forum and find the topic.

Couldn't a short term fix be at the end of every article you just write something like "want to discuss this further head over to our forums [and insert the actual forum link to the topic]" - you can even leave the crappy Facebook comments section that no one uses there, who cares.

HERE HERE brother!!!!
0 x

Punkley
Site Admin

Post by Punkley » 04 Jan 2016, 18:45

Working on it guys.......just want a way that doesn't f'up everything else like GON's did.

I actually thought of a way last week, but I was in a tent at a Music Festival for the last week.
0 x

Punkley
Site Admin

Post by Punkley » 04 Jan 2016, 23:43

Just to show we are listening,

here is a totally broken version of what I am working on

https://www.playerattack.com/news/2015/ ... ovie/#p955

Ill do some more work on it tomorrow, and hopefully it will get closer to being done.
2 x

Punkley
Site Admin

Post by Punkley » 07 Jan 2016, 00:41

Hi all, just letting you know, that we will be making the forum news comment stuff live tomorrow (hopefully).

It will effect new posts only
2 x

village idiot

Post by village idiot » 07 Jan 2016, 12:25

Love your work, i honestly think we will see more discussion on news topics now.
1 x
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197961039592]Image[/url]

Thermal Ions

Post by Thermal Ions » 20 Jan 2016, 00:20

Just noticed today the forum comments are working on the front page articles - Nice. I was another in the not logging into facebook to comment camp.

/Makes note to visit frontpage more often now.
0 x
Another GON Refugee

dotarray
Site Admin

Post by dotarray » 20 Jan 2016, 15:30

Thermal Ions wrote:/Makes note to visit frontpage more often now.
Thanks - see you there! :)
0 x
Jessica Citizen, formerly Chienne
Player Attack!

"I love sleep. My life has the tendency to fall apart when I'm awake, you know?" - Ernest Hemingway

Mini

Post by Mini » 20 Jan 2016, 15:56

Is there a reason that some articles don't seem to have the forums comments section still?
Aka the Humble Bundle article. It isn't showing any comments area currently for me.
0 x
Proudly supporting Player Attack through Patreon

Battle.Net - MiniSanders#1895
uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord

Mythor

Post by Mythor » 20 Jan 2016, 16:00

Article title was edited and then I think I "fixed it" wrong. So it's probably my fault but maybe someone can still fix it. :)
[Edit: Think Punkley is on the case!]
0 x

Mythor

Post by Mythor » 20 Jan 2016, 16:43

Punkley may have been trying to fix it but ultimately I sorted it out. Eventually. Thanks for letting us know Mini. If you notice any other (recent) ones let me know and I'll sort them out too. :)
0 x

Mini

Post by Mini » 20 Jan 2016, 16:50

Will do, Thanks guys :D
0 x
Proudly supporting Player Attack through Patreon

Battle.Net - MiniSanders#1895
uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders