Love the new Forum setup!

Want a new group or a setting changed, this would be a good place to ask.
Mugsy

Love the new Forum setup!

Post by Mugsy » 08 Jan 2016, 00:00

I have my steam games categorised similarly! - lol
2 x
CherryRed wrote:
02 Dec 2018, 21:33
It'll look amazing shoved up his ass if he doesn't actually learn to play the fucking thing.

Punkley
Site Admin

Re: Love the new Forum setup!

Post by Punkley » 08 Jan 2016, 00:18

Well that is better then hating it :)
1 x

dotarray
Site Admin

Post by dotarray » 08 Jan 2016, 01:25

The fact that there are posts in each genre makes me think we've done a pretty good job in picking them, but if we've missed something obvious (or you can't work out where something goes), let us know and we'll fix it up.

I've already been told that "racing" does not go in "sports" - but where does "survival horror" go?
0 x
Jessica Citizen, formerly Chienne
Player Attack!

"I love sleep. My life has the tendency to fall apart when I'm awake, you know?" - Ernest Hemingway

GamingKen

Post by GamingKen » 08 Jan 2016, 03:27

Personally , I think this is indeed much better. I don't think we would want more sub-forums than this has created now, as I do think this basically covers most things. You'd probably have to explain to me what the difference is between Action-Adventure and Adventure, and I wonder if you could cut one forum by combining them into "Action / Adventure", but as far as the rest go I think they are pretty spot on.

I didn't mean my post to be the catalyst to spark off immediate change tonight, but I think it looks good. Thumbs up from me, and I am pretty sure you will get a few more thumbs up once others see the change. Well done!
dotarray wrote:but where does "survival horror" go?
I'd have lumped that into "Action / Adventure"
2 x

Mini

Post by Mini » 08 Jan 2016, 08:08

I agree, looks a much better setup, and hopefully helps people find the conversations they are looking for.
I'm not sure why racing and sports aren't together, but then again I think racing is a sport...

Agree with Meare, not sure on the adventure and Action-Adventure categories, these could probably go together
Is Adventure for games like Monkey Island? While Action-Adventure is more the Tomb Raider games?
1 x
Proudly supporting Player Attack through Patreon

Battle.Net - MiniSanders#1895
uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord

Disco

Post by Disco » 08 Jan 2016, 09:09

Very slick indeed!
2 x
Nekosan wrote:
29 Mar 2018, 00:36
Disco is fkn banned from the flamethrower. :lol:

dotarray
Site Admin

Post by dotarray » 08 Jan 2016, 09:22

Mini wrote:Is Adventure for games like Monkey Island? While Action-Adventure is more the Tomb Raider games?
That's the theory - and Telltale Games games - but as there are no posts in there for now, I like the idea of rolling them in together (and maybe a subtle rename to Action/Adventure?).
Mearehear wrote:I didn't mean my post to be the catalyst to spark off immediate change tonight, but I think it looks good.
Punkley was in a bit of a New Year's cleaning mood, so last night was as good a time as any. Plus, your comments were right on the money - the old way really did stifle conversation, while this (hopefully!) will encourage it! Thumbs-up to you! :good:
1 x
Jessica Citizen, formerly Chienne
Player Attack!

"I love sleep. My life has the tendency to fall apart when I'm awake, you know?" - Ernest Hemingway

Punkley
Site Admin

Post by Punkley » 08 Jan 2016, 09:48

Mini wrote:I'm not sure why racing and sports aren't together, but then again I think racing is a sport... ?
Yes racing is a sport, but it is also a gaming genre of its own. And I would suggest a more popular one then sports in Australia :).

But of course without new members all the forums in the world won't have busy conversation. So we really need to promote this place as as a good place to hang out.

Kingsley
0 x

Mythor

Post by Mythor » 08 Jan 2016, 10:50

Thirded or fourtheded for Action/Adventure. Action's kind of a loose genre anyway since Shooters are Action as well, etc. People more likely to know what Action/Adventure type games are.
1 x
"Me ate truck once." - Cookie Monster
Player Attack! - Diablo 3 Clan Details

GamingKen

Post by GamingKen » 08 Jan 2016, 12:05

Yeah I think that combining them for Action /Adventure would just help tighten up the categories and then we have a pretty good selection to make use of without there being an excessive amount of genres to scroll through. I'm actually pretty excited at the thought of being able to see some of these sections have a life again. (particularly Racing and Simulatiors)
0 x

GamingKen

Post by GamingKen » 09 Jan 2016, 14:28

One thing I was just looking at and thought was a little out of place was Minecraft being in Simulators. I don't really think that is where people would go looking for it (nor does the block bulding thing really fit in the tag line). I'd see Minecraft as more of an Open World game and given that there is a lot of those these days, such as Ark, maybe it belongs with them. Maybe Action and Adventure could be combined like previously mentioned, freeing up one spot, and "Open Wold / Sandbox" (including open world survival) could be created in that opening, for games like Minecraft, Ark (currenting in Action), Rust, DayZ, H1Z1, The Forest etc.Just throwing the thought out there.
0 x

Wrangl3r

Post by Wrangl3r » 09 Jan 2016, 14:38

Forum structure is looking good guys!

I think Mearehear is onto soemthing with the 'open world / sandbox' category (although I would be tempted to call it 'sandbox / survival' or something, seeing as so many of the the games that fall into the category are survival based.
0 x

GamingKen

Post by GamingKen » 09 Jan 2016, 14:42

Wrangl3r wrote:Forum structure is looking good guys!

I think Mearehear is onto soemthing with the 'open world / sandbox' category (although I would be tempted to call it 'sandbox / survival' or something, seeing as so many of the the games that fall into the category are survival based.
That works too! And I think as a guide to what would fit in that differently to action adventure would be that the Open World / Survival games don't really have a story or plot, it's just you and the open world and the goal to survive, where as say something like Just Cause 3, despite being an open world game of sorts, has a story line and clear end goal which would put it into "Action / Adventure".
0 x

Punkley
Site Admin

Post by Punkley » 09 Jan 2016, 15:55

and done
1 x

GamingKen

Post by GamingKen » 09 Jan 2016, 21:36

Great stuff! I think it is all looking pretty spot on now. :D
0 x

Mini

Post by Mini » 11 Jan 2016, 08:10

Loving the headings and making it much easier to find things.
Question though... games like Vermintide and Left for Dead, what do they go under?
0 x

uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord

Punkley
Site Admin

Post by Punkley » 11 Jan 2016, 08:20

other?
0 x

Makena

Post by Makena » 11 Jan 2016, 09:23

Mini wrote:Loving the headings and making it much easier to find things.
Question though... games like Vermintide and Left for Dead, what do they go under?
i'd still call Vermintide and FPS, but that or other is fine really
0 x

Mini

Post by Mini » 11 Jan 2016, 09:25

I put it in other... if someone wants to move it somewhere better than I am happy with that.
It was one of those I don't know where this fits games...
0 x

uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord

GamingKen

Post by GamingKen » 11 Jan 2016, 11:37

I haven't played Vermintide, or even seen it as yet, so I have no idea but Left 4 Dead would surely belong in Shooters (sure, you can do the chainsaw/melee method, but 95% of the time its played as a shooter). And I'd look at what are the common Tags on Steam to give you any idea for a game.

Just took my own advice. Vermintide shows Action as the most common tag for it on Steam, then co-op stuff, followed by FPS. Left 4 Dead comes up with FPS as the first real genre category, followed by Action.

Seems pretty fitting for both :)

0 x