Squad

The question: First or third person?
The answer: *boom* Headshot!
DarkMellie

Squad

Post by DarkMellie » 06 Dec 2015, 12:42

For those who can't be arsed with ArmA's mods but like the idea of a slow-burn military simulation... Squad releases on December 15th.

It's from a lot of the devs of ye olde (but still played) bf2 mod, Project Reality. Largely, it's the exact same game and game mechanics, but all redone in Unreal Engine 4.

100 player battles, massive maps, and gameplay mechanics that virtually force co-operative teamplay will make this one of the greatest and most accessible milsims ever made. I can make that call before it's released, because Project Reality was all those things.

:)
0 x

Disco

Re: Squad

Post by Disco » 06 Dec 2015, 15:44

I remember you mentioning this before, thanks for the update, I'll check it out when we get back from our holiday
0 x
Nekosan wrote:
29 Mar 2018, 00:36
Disco is fkn banned from the flamethrower. :lol:

GamingKen

Post by GamingKen » 06 Dec 2015, 21:07

I never played much of it but Project Reality is definitely the milsim I have played, so this is very interesting! Hopefully being on a newer game engine will bring a player-base back to it. Will be keeping an eye on it!
0 x

korbain

Post by korbain » 07 Dec 2015, 14:27

Keeping an eye of this. Played project reality a bit back in the day for a little while. Was good fun. This looks great :D
0 x

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 07 Dec 2015, 19:18

This has been my pick of the year... over Witcher 3, over Fallout 4, over everything.

I love my my ArmA, but as my other thread details, ArmA is a nightmare to get going. I also love PR but it's just ugly nowadays.. Squad just perfectly suits my multiplayer shooter needs.
0 x

Matty

Post by Matty » 07 Dec 2015, 19:28

Looks like Arma but without the polio. Does it have battles against AI? That's by far my favorite part of Arma.
0 x
Matter of fact, I didn't even give you my coat!

Disco

Re: RE: Re: Squad

Post by Disco » 07 Dec 2015, 20:02

Matty wrote:Looks like Arma but without the polio. Does it have battles against AI? That's by far my favorite part of Arma.
Oh really? Something I hated about A3 was the fact pvp died in the ass.

Much better to okay against real people imo, might have to join a clan or something for this one.
0 x
Nekosan wrote:

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 07 Dec 2015, 20:14

Squad is all PVP. Thing is though, the very game mechanics FORCE you to play as a squad, under the command of a squad leader.

For instance, the SL can't lay down a rally point without a certain number of squad members being there with him and the maps are so large that if you don't have a spawn point you will spend most of each round walking. SL also can't build and fortify without his squad there to do the digging. Kit selections are limited (so there's usually only a handful of sniper kits for the entire 50 man team per game) and, best of all, the most co-ordinated squads win.
0 x

Venom

Post by Venom » 14 Dec 2015, 23:07

Got my Early Access Kickstarter key this evening! Keen to get it loaded and jump in tomorrow. Watched some poeple play it on Twitch and it looks fantastic.

If you don't know then tomorrow (15th December 8am Steam-time) Squad hits Early Access! Hope there is a faithful Aussie community, I'm sure there will be many coming from a variety of games giving it a try this week. The Twitch chat always mentioned Insurgency every 5 minutes haha.
0 x
Previously Instinx from GON!

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 14 Dec 2015, 23:47

I really don't like the way they handled the rifleman package outside of kickstarter. When I bought it, it just had my email and all I got was a paypal receipt. Nothing from the devs at all. Nothing in my email just now, hopefully there's something there tomorrow night!
0 x

Venom

Post by Venom » 15 Dec 2015, 11:07

Ahh I got Rifleman on Kickstarter so I would assume its just going through a big list from beginning to end :P The email was short but sweet. It wasn't an automated kickstarter message either it was sent from their website so I would keep a eye out for support@joinsquad.com.
0 x

Disco

Post by Disco » 15 Dec 2015, 11:08

Anyone know what it's likely going to cost on Steam EA?
0 x
Nekosan wrote:

Venom

Post by Venom » 15 Dec 2015, 14:06

Disco wrote:Anyone know what it's likely going to cost on Steam EA?
39.99 USD i believe.
0 x

Disco

Post by Disco » 15 Dec 2015, 14:13

Bout $55 or so, not bad for a completed game, bit rich for an early access game IMO.. probably still going to buy it anyway
0 x
Nekosan wrote:

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 15 Dec 2015, 15:39

It's in damned good shape from everything I've seen, well worth it!

Turns out, my key went to the email linked to my Paypal (doh!). I AM READY.
0 x

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 16 Dec 2015, 12:37

Well, that was a disappointing first experience. Massively buggy on my rig for some reason.

Firstly, it's one of those handful of games that doesn't cope with double displays.. my mouse cursor keeps peeking out from under the game window so when I'd aim or shoot, I'd be taken to desktop.

Sometimes when I'd aim, the whole screen would go blank, blink, and then come back to me being scoped in. Same after checking spawn screens or typing anything into global chat.

Voicechat seems to actually lag the game so when I go to talk to a squadmate, everything slows down and VOIP becomes squelched.

Lastly, it just needs more time spent on optimising the engine. I should be able to run this smoothly but it's a festering pile of stuttered FPS.

Also, players new to the PR style of gameplay are having a hard time. My squad of 9 had two PR players in it and we both guided the squad leader as to how to approach the map, so we went our merry way south to a point where we could intercept the enemy coming into the next flag area only to find when we got there that he hadn't brought his SL kit... so no rally point.

If you know how PR works then make sure to be helpful to new players. Australia has a somewhat toxic PR scene (at least on BigD servers) where any lack of knowledge is more likely to be met with derision rather than assistance. For the good of the longevity of the game, don't be a dick.
2 x

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 24 Dec 2015, 14:55

Alrighty, looks like they've patched all my graphical woes barring the odd FPS-stuttering in heated firefights which is understandable in any non-massive-budget game, let alone an Alpha release.

Magic firefight just now, solid squad of 9 holding out flags against incoming US troops. I watched a few Flanker530 vids before this on youtube and it's a very similar scene. Chaos, shouted scraps of orders and the incessant staccato gunfire.

Good times. Game is now in a space I can recommend it to others. Also, massively popular and populated.
0 x

Nekosan

Post by Nekosan » 24 Dec 2015, 22:29

DarkMellie wrote:Also, massively popular and populated.

Hmmm i might have to pick it up, Insurgency died very early and this might fill the void a while.
0 x
steamcommunity.com/id/krautpants

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 25 Dec 2015, 20:39

What are you on about? Insurgency is still healthy, still at least 3 full PVP servers and maybe 20+ co-op most weeknights!
1 x

korbain

Post by korbain » 25 Dec 2015, 22:10

Nekosan wrote:
DarkMellie wrote:Also, massively popular and populated.

Hmmm i might have to pick it up, Insurgency died very early and this might fill the void a while.
Insurgency usually has a few servers filled every night for australia. i played the other night :)
0 x

Nekosan

Post by Nekosan » 25 Dec 2015, 23:20

DarkMellie wrote:What are you on about? Insurgency is still healthy, still at least 3 full PVP servers and maybe 20+ co-op most weeknights!

Once a game is down to a couple of populated servers like that the community (and games) get too stagnant for me and i end up losing interest. Hell, it didn't even HAVE co-op the last time i played it.
0 x
steamcommunity.com/id/krautpants

Disco

Post by Disco » 27 Dec 2015, 15:59

Hey gents, so since I'm back from holidays what's the verdict on this one, for $50? Worth it?
0 x
Nekosan wrote:

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 27 Dec 2015, 19:32

Absolutely worth it, imo.

Think 'arcade-arma'.
0 x

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 28 Dec 2015, 23:25

A ripper of a night for Squad with Disco joining me on the frontline. We started out in an intense pitched battle at our team's FOB with gunfire and hostiles everywhere. After that, we saw some excellent squad-based gameplay on Loghar AAS and Disco accounted pretty well for himself, delivering a bag of kills in every round we played.

Even that last match that we lost, hunkering down and building a FOB, countering hostile rally points and generally getting shit done was a brilliant way to spend a few hours.

Disco, definitely up for more of that this week, I only intended to play for an hour tonight and suddenly it's almost 12.
0 x

Disco

Post by Disco » 28 Dec 2015, 23:29

DarkMellie wrote:A ripper of a night for Squad with Disco joining me on the frontline. We started out in an intense pitched battle at our team's FOB with gunfire and hostiles everywhere. After that, we saw some excellent squad-based gameplay on Loghar AAS and Disco accounted pretty well for himself, delivering a bag of kills in every round we played.

Even that last match that we lost, hunkering down and building a FOB, countering hostile rally points and generally getting shit done was a brilliant way to spend a few hours.

Disco, definitely up for more of that this week, I only intended to play for an hour tonight and suddenly it's almost 12.
I don't go back to work until Wednesday next week.. I think we get can some more hours in :D Good games tonight, only spent about 70% of it having no idea what was going on or where :lol: Having a good SL is good though, give me something to do and I can do it or die trying
0 x
Nekosan wrote: