No Man's Sky

A place for all the city-builders, world-creators, transport managers, block-arrangers and intergalactic explorers.
Mythor

Re: No Man's Sky

Post by Mythor » 06 Aug 2016, 19:23

It's theoretically possible to meet up with a friend, but the galaxy is so vast it would be very difficult. Bumping into a random stranger is more likely. If you and another player are in the same general area you should be able to see each other, though I don't think there's any way to interact beyond running around together. Nobody knows for sure because Hello Games haven't said if there's anything you can do, and there's only about a dozen people in the galaxy so far.

So it's primarily a singleplayer thing, particularly at launch. But in a year's time? Who knows!
0 x
"Me ate truck once." - Cookie Monster
Player Attack! - Diablo 3 Clan Details

boars

Post by boars » 07 Aug 2016, 01:30

Pretty sad of the developers to leave it vague, guessing due to the lack of actual features in that area... but still it's not exactly up front or all that honest about things in my books. :\ Oh well, thanks for the info.
0 x

Yurtles

Post by Yurtles » 09 Aug 2016, 19:21

I don't know what to do about this game. Been watching some videos this arvo and it seems like something I would really enjoy when I start out, but I have no idea what sort of longevity there is to it. I think as keen as I am, I might try to hold off and not make it a $60 gamble.
0 x
BorisBC wrote:Pro tip - if you have to spew in a car, spew down the (inside) front of your shirt. Trust me, it's a lot easier to clean spew off yourself than the interior of a car.

kharis

Post by kharis » 09 Aug 2016, 20:46

i've been thinking and i'm not going to preorder because i want to build my own ship instead of using the upgraded one but still gonna grab it on friday :)
0 x

Mythor

Post by Mythor » 10 Aug 2016, 00:03

You can apparently choose to claim or not claim your preorder ship and gun, Sean Murray said in their 1 hour stream from yesterday(?). So you can start out in the normal fashion and never claim it, or you can do some of the early game and then swap the preorder ship in.

Knowing that, I'm planning on not claiming them right away, at least on PS4. Which will hopefully arrive tomorrow!
0 x

Sathias

Post by Sathias » 10 Aug 2016, 09:44

Mythor wrote:It's theoretically possible to meet up with a friend, but the galaxy is so vast it would be very difficult. Bumping into a random stranger is more likely. If you and another player are in the same general area you should be able to see each other, though I don't think there's any way to interact beyond running around together. Nobody knows for sure because Hello Games haven't said if there's anything you can do, and there's only about a dozen people in the galaxy so far.

So it's primarily a singleplayer thing, particularly at launch. But in a year's time? Who knows!
0 x
"Put the damn gun down, boy. It aint no toy." - Lite

Yurtles

Post by Yurtles » 10 Aug 2016, 10:03

Yeah. I recall an interview with Sean on IGN I saw, he said you won't be able to see the other guy, but you could see the effects they had on the world - if they blew a hole in the ground you'd see a hole in the ground.
0 x
BorisBC wrote:Pro tip - if you have to spew in a car, spew down the (inside) front of your shirt. Trust me, it's a lot easier to clean spew off yourself than the interior of a car.

Nitephyre

Post by Nitephyre » 10 Aug 2016, 10:07

Which to me is quite stupid... seeing random holes appear in the terrain etc. would be jarring to me. I'm really getting a Spore 2.0 vibe about this game. Such awesome promise, and then... :(
0 x
Mugsy wrote:
09 Oct 2018, 21:26
I got nothing for ya... I was raised to not do things I wouldn't want done to myself. And that's why anal sex is off the agenda.

Otto-matic Reiffel

Post by Otto-matic Reiffel » 10 Aug 2016, 10:33

I'm interested, but still going to wait for a bit. By the looks of the gameplay I've seen the current iteration might be entertaining for a few hours but then just a grind for slightly better stuff over and over.
0 x

Dinofreak

Post by Dinofreak » 10 Aug 2016, 10:40

Sathias wrote:
Lol, the shadows are different, the chair in the bottom right is a different colour and the top left is different (pillar vs rock)...but the building looks the same so close enough.
0 x
"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."
-- W. C. Fields

Mythor

Post by Mythor » 10 Aug 2016, 10:59

Different time of day in the two pictures, thus the different colours, which suggests either the planetary clocks aren't universally synchronised or that they weren't actually there at the same time. Amazing someone managed to not only find an already discovered planet but got there while the discoverer was still planetside.
0 x

Matty

Post by Matty » 10 Aug 2016, 16:03

Otto-matic Reiffel wrote:I'm interested, but still going to wait for a bit. By the looks of the gameplay I've seen the current iteration might be entertaining for a few hours but then just a grind for slightly better stuff over and over.
This is the problem I had with Elite Dangerous and I feel NMS will be similar. Some of the reviews are coming in average.

EDIT: Here is someone else on reddit who tried to meet up with someone. Same place, same time, no peeps

EDIT EDIT: They might be the same guys Sathias linked actually.
Last edited by Matty on 10 Aug 2016, 18:20, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Matter of fact, I didn't even give you my coat!

Mythor

Post by Mythor » 10 Aug 2016, 16:48

Yes, it's the same people Sathias linked.
0 x

NoobyMcNoobnoob

Post by NoobyMcNoobnoob » 10 Aug 2016, 22:57

meh uim enjoying it except pirates keep killing me ship, gotta work out how to get a better one then the starter, all the derelect ones dont improove on the cargo space of my first one :(
0 x

Otto-matic Reiffel

Post by Otto-matic Reiffel » 11 Aug 2016, 10:25

NoobyMcNoobnoob wrote:meh uim enjoying it except pirates keep killing me ship, gotta work out how to get a better one then the starter, all the derelect ones dont improove on the cargo space of my first one :(
From what I have seen you can attempt to buy one you see landed at any space station. Go up and talk to it.
0 x

Mythor

Post by Mythor » 11 Aug 2016, 11:27

At any space station or trading post on a planet. I think so long as you're not an enemy of the race piloting it. I don't have any enemy races so I can't confirm.
The cheapest upgrade ship I've seen was over 300,000U and I've seen some over a million. So start saving. :)
0 x

NoobyMcNoobnoob

Post by NoobyMcNoobnoob » 11 Aug 2016, 18:07

yep already got it later last night, makes a bit of a differnec going from starter boat to a 19 slot ship, ima horder so im always carrying stuff, got a 13 slot multi tool, and upgrading backback is now costing me 140000+ units now.

luckly i got the blueprint drop for suspention feild so i dont have to buy it off the network for warp fuel. and to my own horror ive started jumping over 4 systems at a time to do the atlas quest.

that and finding some weird lifeforms that include giant flying serpent fish and a poor b film ewok knock off creatures is always interesting. found out the listening posts have the clues down the bottom left of the screen and i had just been ignoring them because im noob and didnt notice them. next up for me is gonna start improving my ship so i can survive space battles when there is more the 4 ships againts me, there needs to be a quick recarge button so i can dump whatever to get sheilds back like freelancers repair and shield quick items (only found an auto-health kit version of it for on foot).

what ive seen online for this game is abysmal thought, it seems the cool thing to do is to hate on it without playing it, a few forums are a hivemind after a few pictures of hate.

anyway late night shopping then back to it.
0 x

Matty

Post by Matty » 11 Aug 2016, 19:22

I'll probably pick it up on sale for PC. I kind of got my planet hopping fix from Elite Dangerous. Question for people, is there an FOV slider on the PC version? I watched gameplay of the PS4 version and even though youtube I felt claustrophobic.
0 x
Matter of fact, I didn't even give you my coat!

Mythor

Post by Mythor » 11 Aug 2016, 21:23

They were working on a FOV slider for PC but I don't know if they're shipping with it or it'll come later. PC not out yet, not even review copies afaik.

Pretty happy with it so far.
0 x

kharis

Post by kharis » 11 Aug 2016, 21:59

Apparently everytime somebody asks about fov sean takes away a degree ;)
0 x

Mekon

Post by Mekon » 13 Aug 2016, 09:09

Downloaded from Steam this morning... starting to think it was the wrong choice. :/

edit: ok, so disable FPS cap and turn off Vsync helps. Significantly.
0 x

Dinofreak

Post by Dinofreak » 16 Aug 2016, 12:13

I lol'd

0 x
"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."
-- W. C. Fields

Sathias

Post by Sathias » 16 Aug 2016, 12:28

Mekon wrote:Downloaded from Steam this morning... starting to think it was the wrong choice. :/

edit: ok, so disable FPS cap and turn off Vsync helps. Significantly.
If you have Nvidia and not Gsync, turn that off in the INI file as well (in the binaries folder in the Steam folder)
0 x
"Put the damn gun down, boy. It aint no toy." - Lite

Nitephyre

Post by Nitephyre » 17 Aug 2016, 10:24

You can also manually change the FOV in TKGRAPHICSSETTINGS.MXML
0 x
Mugsy wrote:
09 Oct 2018, 21:26
I got nothing for ya... I was raised to not do things I wouldn't want done to myself. And that's why anal sex is off the agenda.

boars

Post by boars » 17 Aug 2016, 10:29

https://m.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGame ... _big_list/

Interesting list of promises not delivered.

I think I'll wait for this one to go on sale later
0 x