Star Citizen

A place for all the city-builders, world-creators, transport managers, block-arrangers and intergalactic explorers.
boars

Star Citizen

Post by boars » 08 Nov 2015, 11:44

Mini PTU seems to be close still, latest dev update seemed to indicate as much.

Starting to hype train a little about getting to finally fly the Tali: :oops:

EDIT::::
Also going to redo this post at a later date (when I have more free time) to contain general new player info so we can refer people to it (since we only have a thread here and not a section - which is fine).
Last edited by boars on 12 Nov 2015, 00:20, edited 2 times in total.
0 x

boars

Re: Star Citizen

Post by boars » 12 Nov 2015, 00:14

Player run organisations (guilds/clans/etc)
Using this post to be the place to dump Organisation information - mirroring what was on GoN posted by Brimlad

So if you have an Org and would like to affiliate with this community then post your Orgs page in the thread or throw me a PM.
Also if you would like to join an Org in this thread best to post in this thread or send us a pm as we don't get email notifications when people request to join said orgs.

Here is the current list of Orgs in this community: (I'll refresh this list as more Orgs affiliate/advertise)

PA/GoN organisations
Last edited by boars on 12 Nov 2015, 01:25, edited 2 times in total.
0 x

boars

Post by boars » 12 Nov 2015, 00:15

-- this is a repost from GoN to save it from deletion -- will be updating this with recent videos etc shortly...

Thought it might be nice to have an index of good videos for anyone new to have a look at so have at it! Feel free to suggest ones I have probably missed.

I've highlighted the new videos with "NEW" but as requested will now also be putting the updates in posts so people don't have to scan the big list :lol:

Official Videos

Most of the official videos (if not all) should be available on their Robert Space Industries YouTube channel

Star Citizen RSI shows
  • Around the 'verse - airs Fridays AEST
  • Ten for the Chairman - Chris Roberts answers 10 questions each week - airs mondays AEST
  • The Next Great Starship - Season one has now concluded but the 16 episodes of following fan made ships being built and potentially added into the persistant universe is quite interesting to watch. Perhaps not the reality TV aspect of it, the ships themselves are more than worth it however.
  • Wingman's Hangar - 72 episodes of following the development of SC, interviews, randomness and fooling about. The 72nd episode was it's last and will soon be superceded by "Around the 'verse"
Ship commercials
The ship commercials have a playlist but it currently doesn't have all the ships in it... you can hit them up directly below. Unnoficial videos

High quality ship preview type videos by AnythingFPS

Aegis Dynamics - Avenger Aegis Dynamics - Constellation Aegis Dynamics - P52 Merlin Aegis Dynamics - Redeemer (TNGS) Anvil - Hornet DRAKE - Cutlass MISC - Freelancer Origin Jumpworks - 300 series Origin Jumpworks - Boomslang - (TNGS) Origin Jumpworks - M50 Robert Space Industries - Aurora Vanduul* - Scythe
* No idea on name of actual manufacturer? Arena Commander

pilot training videos Excellent full arena match videos Occulus Rift videos Community made shows
I don't personally watch any of these but if you haven't drowned or overdosed on SC content here's some more for you :lol:
Last edited by boars on 12 Nov 2015, 00:19, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

boars

Post by boars » 12 Nov 2015, 00:18

Could be cool news for Cutlass owners on the horizon ...

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/co ... acing_the/
A question for the Cutlass mega-thread, but also relevant for people who spend their time here:
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.c ... nt_5892909
While I'm here, let me ask you guys a theoretical question: how would you feel about replacing the Cutlass? That is: how mated are you to the current look of the ship? One thing John points out in his piece (... as best I can understand, anyway...) is that there are certain significant limitations to how we can place thrusters on the current design. So if everybody had the choice between the Cutlass commerce raider and, say, the Buccaneer interceptor that's more maneuverable but has a smaller cargo hold, would that be a reasonable compromise? It's something we've talked about internally, and so I'd be interested to hear the thoughts of the megathread. (Please don't consider that a promise of a new ship... it's something we're thinking about, but will need to decide and commit resources to first.)
EDIT: I just did a proper reddit search on this, and /u/banditloaf had already commented a bit to this effect in this other thread so this might be a bit duplicatey, but I figure it needs it's own thread for more exposure or comment. If not, down-vote away!
A more fight orientated Cutlass would be pretty awesome, having the more transport version (and variants) still kicking about would also be fantastic.

and now for something completely different and a bit lighthearted...
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/co ... ntability/
0 x

brimlad

Post by brimlad » 12 Nov 2015, 08:54

N1 boars, good to have that info here .

and gosh I hope we see the mini ptu before xmas
0 x

boars

Post by boars » 13 Nov 2015, 10:15

I think we will see it before christmas, that's possibly a little wishful thinking, maybe. It's not as though we haven't had delays before haha!

Still when I see detail like the following being added, I can understand...

That's really starting to look amazing, much better than the original, absolutely gorgeous - I didn't even really like the original.
The really amazing part is it's half a million polygons less... and yet is far more detailed! Optimisations :lol: got to love them :mrgreen:

And because the freelancer needs a little love too...

0 x

boars

Post by boars » 14 Nov 2015, 15:28

Cutlass owners got a big update on their ship: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm ... he-Cutlass

Sounds pretty good for PTU

And speaking of PTU... another update... sounds like its getting closer (isn't it always lol)...
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm ... ent-Update

Lead dev broke his wrist, doh, not many blockers left, one or two of which they mentioned being fixed already (touch wood).
0 x

Makena

Post by Makena » 14 Nov 2015, 17:02

I should read that cutlass stuff I guess, see if I want to keep mine :lol:
0 x

LordPorksword

Post by LordPorksword » 18 Nov 2015, 00:57

Here's hoping for a 2.0 release early December!
0 x

jambo

Post by jambo » 18 Nov 2015, 10:17

paging stingtwo
0 x

stingtwo

Post by stingtwo » 18 Nov 2015, 14:27

Something happen in the last few days cause i'm upto here? https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm ... ent-Update

One programer breaks his wrist and the entire project gets delayed

*this game aint ever coming*
0 x

vcatkiller

Post by vcatkiller » 18 Nov 2015, 18:36

I'm still very much looking forward to this. Can't wait to be flying 'round the 'verse getting into strife.
0 x

boars

Post by boars » 19 Nov 2015, 20:32

stingtwo wrote:Something happen in the last few days cause i'm upto here? https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm ... ent-Update

One programer breaks his wrist and the entire project gets delayed

*this game aint ever coming*
The something happens tomorrow at around [strike]10am[/strike] 5am EST (not DST) iirc.

The anniversary live stream is on with a few surprises, there'll be ship sales and assorted things.
People are hoping it'll coincide with the mini Persistant Universe either being launched or announced when it will be.

I don't think the one coder has delayed the project much.
Having said that he is the lead programmer, though he's probably still at work just possibly pair programming instead or assorted other things. Who knows.

Like everything else though, we're just guesing haha.

As for "*this game aint ever coming*", it's coming, it'll just take far longer than a lot of people are prepared to wait :P
0 x

boars

Post by boars » 20 Nov 2015, 12:23

Soooo... http://dagobah.net/flash/zone_hype_train.swf :P
SC hit the PTU after the live stream today

Invites are being sent out to people who have been giving the most feedback or some such in the previous rounds of testing - seems fair to me.

There's no (real) NDA on the PTU, even though the email says otherwise people have permission to screenshot and stream etc.
As such we should be seeing more footage from this coming out in the near future.

2.0 features
(feature list from: https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/co ... ture_list/)
  • Crusader location: 3 Moons, 3 stations, Asteroid belts
  • 8 dog fight missions
  • 8 research missions
  • 1 exploration mission
  • 20+ random encounters
  • 1 on-going asteroid belt battle
  • 1 wreckage to scavange asteroid belt
  • 1 PVP Station
  • Limited to 12-16 ships at once (More players though)
  • Security Post is PVP/FPS (start with pistol) pick up weapons and fight there
  • Flyable Retaliators, Constellations, Avenger Variants, (hanger ready Vanguard)
  • Freelancer coming soon™
  • New flight dynamics and modes
  • EVA is back (ctrl+f)
  • Weapons can be recharged
  • Ship repair
  • Mobi-glass implementation
Star Citizen Alpha 2.0 Retaliator gameplay from Anniversary Live Stream

Avenger now has variants:
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pled ... ype=extras&

The Anvil Crucible is available for sale:
Think mobile shipyard, repair ships and refit perhaps?
Has an interesting hangar/repairshop that it can carry with it or leave behind.
Wonder if they can be used for salvage operations or just to tow ships that are beyond a repair that it can handle.
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pled ... l-Crucible
3d model of the crucible: https://sketchfab.com/models/df56af1ebb ... 9e9fe1c907 (interesting looking thing)

Full sale details:
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm ... le-Kickoff

Meet the "Old Man" teaser - (Mark Hamill)

Mark Hamill interview:

Million mile high club is coming to 2.0 (for those of you who have spent TOO much money):

Vanguard is in hangar:
http://imgur.com/a/a9uqN
Note this is hangar only - warden/base - nothing else.

P72 vs P52:
P52 in 3d: https://sketchfab.com/models/8461569bc5 ... b76db49184
P72 in 3d: https://sketchfab.com/models/a0d45ba135 ... 18c05c449e

Ship repair and maintenance
Interesting read on how this will work...
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm ... aintenance
1 x

LordPorksword

Post by LordPorksword » 20 Nov 2015, 15:31

Here's hoping for no major issues discovered with 2.0 on the PTU, so the rest of us can have a play!
0 x

boars

Post by boars » 20 Nov 2015, 15:37

Have been watching a livestream here: http://www.twitch.tv/matticusgames

He's still playing... it's crashing a LOT.

It looks fantastic when it isn't though... as long as they slowly iron out the bugs causing the crashes it should be fairly fun.
0 x

bender

Post by bender » 20 Nov 2015, 18:43

I think now (when 2.0 gets out of the PTU and goes live in ~1 week) is the time to check star citizen out again if you havn't in a while. Apparently they have done a decent amount of work removing unused assets and compressing things, so the client wont be any bigger than it is now (~30GB).
0 x
Asus P8P67|2600K @4.5GHz-EK WC|16GB DDR3|Crucial MX100 512GB|HD6970 2GB-Aquacomputer WC|MCP35X|Obsidian 800D|X-fi Titanium|AD900

LordPorksword

Post by LordPorksword » 21 Nov 2015, 15:11

I've been running around in the PTU of 2.0. Despite all the crashing I'm very impressed so far.

Here's a couple of screenies:
Going through an airlock before you go into the vacuum

Someone's Connie:

Me making off with someone's Connie: :mrgreen:

The station is pretty darn big. Would be awesome to see in VR!

I've been waiting to steal a Tali so I can look at it up close...but haven't seen one ripe for the picking yet. :(
2 x

LordPorksword

Post by LordPorksword » 23 Nov 2015, 00:32

Someone spawned a Tali. Went to take it for a joyride! :mrgreen: ...but I managed to get in the belly mounted turret instead of the pilots seat so I couldn't take it anywhere. :( Due to bugs, currently you can't get out of a seat once you're in it...well in other peoples ships atleast.

Colour me impressed with the Tali. The interior looks superb and the ship is a lot bigger than I thought it would be. You can actually get lost in this thing. I even saw a few folk running around in one...looking like they're lost...
I really hope they patch the PTU soon to stop all the crashing. Can't last 15 minutes with some crash occurring atm.
Framerate is actually better than I was expecting. Dunno what frames I'm getting but I have noticed some stutter...but nothing that makes it anywhere near un-playable though.(on a 980)

Here's two more pics:

Tali and Connie:

I was in a Tali when the pilot took off. Ran to the mid section of the ship, opened an airlock and jumped out. Here's the sight I saw when I jumped out:
As soon as I left the interior of the ship, zero-G kicked in so I was then able to EVA to the station, land and look at some other ships that had spawned. All done flawlessly. CIG have done very well in this regard! :clap:
2 x

jambo

Post by jambo » 23 Nov 2015, 11:42

That space station looks gorgeous.

I love when stuff is built off of realistic science roots.
0 x

Disruptor4

Post by Disruptor4 » 23 Nov 2015, 11:52

Very nice man. Looking forward to upgrading my GPU when the game nears completion, whenever that is, so that I can bask in the glory of this graphics.
0 x

LordPorksword

Post by LordPorksword » 25 Nov 2015, 22:00

Just a heads up guys. You may be waiting at least a week or two for 2.0. :cry:
It's very enjoyable and very very buggy atm. Every time I jump in I'm guaranteed it'll crash back to the desktop at some point.

Now that all said, I'll have to say it's pretty awesome even through the constant crashes. The ship to EVA back to ship works flawlessly and hitching a ride on the bigger ships while other players take them out is quite cool.
I can't comment on the FPS action yet, as it's always crashed before I've been able to have a good go at it. The devs are madly patching away to get it more stable. I can say, I no longer crash if I stay at Port Olisar but any quantum jumps will result in eventual crashing of awesome space game!
I've checked out all the big ships that are currently available now, giving myself personal tours with (what I imagine) odd looks from the players that own these ships. (they must think I'm going to steal it)
I have yet to steal...err...I mean checkout one of the Vanduul Scythe's. Not enough folk are spawning them, but I've made it my mission to make a B-line for the next one I see! :mrgreen:

While it's taking longer than we'd all hope I believe it'll be worth the wait for all of you who don't have access to the PTU. I'm sure you aren't missing the 30gig download plus the 2 10gig updates that have occurred so far.

Some screens:

The main room where you order your ship

EVA'n around a connie(lots of folks must have these...I see'em all the time)

My Hornet floating near a comm array:

"Damn Baby, you got some sexy legs!"
1 x

bender

Post by bender » 25 Nov 2015, 22:44

Thanks for the update. I'm quite happy to let it stay in PTU for a while so they can get it to a sufficiently stable point. I'm glad they have released it in its current state as it shows that while the target features are completed for 2.0, there's still lots more work that needs to be done to get the game into a stable state. It helps people understand the time it takes to make a game stable for public use. I have been saying for a while they need to get releases into the PTU sooner, rather than just using it as a quick last minute check to catch a few more bugs.
0 x
Asus P8P67|2600K @4.5GHz-EK WC|16GB DDR3|Crucial MX100 512GB|HD6970 2GB-Aquacomputer WC|MCP35X|Obsidian 800D|X-fi Titanium|AD900

vcatkiller

Post by vcatkiller » 25 Nov 2015, 22:59

The screenshots are awesome! It certainly is looking very good.
0 x

boars

Post by boars » 26 Nov 2015, 01:34

Lots of connies are about because anyone who has a banu merchantman or other such large ships that aren't yet in game either get a tali or a connie.... But most seem to translate into a connie.
0 x