TrackMania Turbo Trailer (March 24th) (GotY 20XX)

Put the pedal to the metal and come in here to discuss your virtual ride.
jambo

TrackMania Turbo Trailer (March 24th) (GotY 20XX)

Post by jambo » 08 Feb 2016, 08:54

0 x

GamingKen

Re: TrackMania Turbo Trailer (March 24th) (GotY 20XX)

Post by GamingKen » 21 Mar 2016, 18:04

I don't think I will ever end up getting it (I still have a bad taste in my mouth from ManiaPlanet and at the price of this it is not luring me in) but here's a reasonable hands on look at it.

0 x

jambo

Post by jambo » 21 Mar 2016, 23:59

There's an open beta currently running for XBone and PS4, so check it out.

Looks great so far and feels really good on the PS4. Using the d-pad to drive as it's nice and close to the arrow keys that I use to drive on PC.

I love the style of this game!
0 x

Mini

Post by Mini » 22 Mar 2016, 07:24

Seems odd to pay a racing game with the arrow keys, and I can't remember the last one I played to think of the controls...

Looks cool though, and that video of Goose is awesome

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk
0 x
Proudly supporting Player Attack through Patreon

Battle.Net - MiniSanders#1895
uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord

GamingKen

Post by GamingKen » 22 Mar 2016, 13:06

I thinkif I were ever to get this it would be on console, as it would make a good game for that collection.
0 x

Mini

Post by Mini » 22 Mar 2016, 14:23

This would be one of my games to play across my 10m HDMI cable running to my TV...
0 x
Proudly supporting Player Attack through Patreon

Battle.Net - MiniSanders#1895
uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord

jambo

Post by jambo » 23 Mar 2016, 17:20

The beta on the consoles has been great so far. Only days away now!
0 x

Forgetful_Lion

Post by Forgetful_Lion » 23 Mar 2016, 17:50

Can confirm GOAT.

Will probs pick it up when on sale on steam.
0 x

PirateEggs

Post by PirateEggs » 31 Mar 2016, 21:37

Mearehear wrote:I thinkif I were ever to get this it would be on console, as it would make a good game for that collection.
You might as well, you'd be missing out on nothing because of it. You get almost no customisation at all, there are no dedicated or custom servers, but, besides that it's fine. Runs great, works flawlessly with a controller, has XBONE mappings, which is nice since that's my current controller of choice. You can even navigate the menus with a controller without having to mess around with shit like you had to in TM2 (or earlier).
Mini wrote:Seems odd to pay a racing game with the arrow keys, and I can't remember the last one I played to think of the controls...
The game is basically only accelerate and turn. You have no opponents to dodge or weave around, they're just ghosts, you only race the clock. I believe you can drive with WASD too, and as far as I can tell you can remap (I know you could in previous titles) the keyboard keys to whatever you want.

I've been a fan of TrackMania since back in Original days, I got the game around 2005. I've owned every version of the game(s) too, played thousands of hours. While this one is nice, it's missing the things that make TrackMania, TrackMania. The customisation, without that, it leaves a lot to be desired.
I also don't like half of the tracks, Lagoon and Valley in my opinion are the weakest of the tracks. Canyon is fun, but Stadium is by far my favourite, with most of my hours being in either Stadium or Nations. But, that is my personal opinion.

Oh, and uPlay, which I don't personally mind, but for some people is a deal breaker.
0 x
ImageImage

jambo

Post by jambo » 06 Apr 2016, 12:03

I've been playing a lot of TMT and so far I've really been enjoying it, except for one major issue.

The campaign unlocking system is proving to be annoying for me, as I fucking detest the valley tracks. The steering is way too twitchy and there are a few jumps and turns that you have to line up perfectly to continue.

Canyon at least lets you make up for lost time if you don't quite nail a corner, or even hit a wall, but Valley seems to mostly just be a shitshow if you make a tiny mistake.

And thanks to having to complete Valley to access Lagoon and Stadium, I just end up getting super annoyed until I get through Valley. Partly my fault though, as I always select the Gold ghost, even though I normally just go to the next track if I get Bronze or Silver.

But when I am racing on the other environments, man oh man is this game good. The handling feels great, the tracks so far have been fun, if a little basic and short at times. The presentation, from the neon signs and helicopters, to the sound effects, announcers and music are all spot on. Some how manages to feel like classic TrackMania and a throwback to 80s arcade games at the same time.

Only played a bit of the mp, but it seems to fit what I remember from the old games. I was never huge in to the customisation, I just wanted to hop on a server and play some crazy tracks. It does suck that all of the crazy custom shit has been lost, but I'm still having a lot of fun. Plus I'm already seeing some classic custom maps popping up.

Still not sure if I'll get this on console as well. I did enjoy the console beta, but when I went and played the final PC release, I was getting Golds everywhere, whereas my console finishes were normally Silver. I could probably get better, but I've been playing TM on PC since 2004.

Buy this game!
0 x

GamingKen

Post by GamingKen » 01 May 2016, 18:35

jambo wrote: Buy this game!

Buy this game!

Buy this game!

Buy this game!

Buy this game!
No No No No No!!! Stop it!

:think:
:eh:
:problem:
:|
:shock:
:thumbup:

...Okay, fuck it, I will! But my wallet blames you for this!
0 x

PirateEggs

Re: TrackMania Turbo

Post by PirateEggs » 09 Dec 2016, 21:36

Time to bump this shit yo. Anyone who owns this should add me on uPlay, I need people to race against. :P
0 x
ImageImage