Deception: Murder in Hong Kong

Grab pen and paper, a dice bag and a bunch of tokens, and settle in here to chat about your real-world gaming activities.
Fireslide

Deception: Murder in Hong Kong

Post by Fireslide » 29 Jan 2016, 16:42

So I figure since I'm fairly passionate about games these days I should probably start reviewing them and sharing my experiences.

Deception: Murder in Hong Kong is a social deduction game that borrows elements from other games across a few genres and marries them together really well.

How it works: Each player has a role. There's always one forensic investigator (FI), and one murderer and a number of normal investigators. At higher player counts there are more roles, but more on that later. Each player also has 4 means cards and 4 clue cards in front of them. These represent clues and possible methods of murder. At the start of the game, the forensic investigator reveals themselves and asks all players to close eyes, then asks the murderer to open theirs and point to a means card and clue card in front of them. This represents the murder. It is the aim of the other investigators to correctly deduce these two cards by carefully watching the forensic investigator. Each player only gets one guess, but can otherwise participate normally.

After this short reveal phase, the forensic investigator can no longer speak. They start with two tiles representing cause of death and location, each with 6 possibilities. They draw 4 additional tiles at random from a deck that contain other clues like weather, relationship, time of day, etc. With these 6 tiles, the forensic investigator communicates clues to the investigators by placing one bullet next to the 'best' option on each tile. They can place the bullets as fast or as slow as they like, but cannot be moved once placed. There's plenty of discussion between the other players during this part of the game, and the FI can place a bullet in response to the topic of conversation if it's veering off, or on the right track.

Once the 6th bullet is placed, there is a short presentation by each investigator as to who they think the murderer is and why (which can't be interrupted by other players). Then the 4 tiles are discarded and 4 new ones with new clue types are drawn and the round repeats. At the end of the 3rd round the murderer wins if no one has correctly deduced the means and clue card

Opinions: If you're a fan of Avalon (with merlin and the assassin roles) and something like Codenames or Concept then you'll love this. It's surprisingly difficult as all roles. With additional players you can add more roles including a witness and accomplice. The accomplice knows who the murderer is, and the witness knows who the accomplice and murderer are, but loses the game if the murderer works out who the witness is. There's a metric boatload of means and clue cards, the tiles the FI draws add variety, and there's some event ones that make the game more interesting as well. It's one of my favourite games now, I highly recommend it :)
1 x