I need new headphones! What do people recommend?

acegiak

Re: I need new headphones! What do people recommend?

Post by acegiak » 13 Dec 2015, 11:20

My partner's headphones broke because they were cheap so I thought I'd buy her some replacement ones as a christmas present. Suddenly headphone shopping makes me feel like a hobo. I'm sure I got my turtle beach full ear covering headset with mic for somewhere int he $40-$70 price range and the sound is not bad but now suddenly I'm looking at $80 as the minimum in stores. I think I'm just getting fucked by the dollar but it's making me sad :(
0 x

Brewr

Post by Brewr » 13 Dec 2015, 21:05

http://search.pccasegear.com/search#w=% ... %20Headset

I just bought these and I consider them cheap for Headphones.
0 x
http://postsofpartridge.blogspot.com.au/
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561198014333343]Image[/url]

Venom

Post by Venom » 15 Dec 2015, 18:43

I got a pair of AKG K553s for about $185 when the exchange rate was good. Phenomenal cans. Have them paired with a tube amp/DAC with a ModMic attached. A bit disappointed in the ModMic in terms of picking up my voice; I had to crank up the mic boost which basically negates the higher quality microphone. At least I dont need to listen to it haha.

I'm in the camp that a good entry level headphone with a third-party mic is the better choice. The AD700s or Sennheiser HD5X8s are well worth the price, and any mic you can find will serve its purpose.

Although you have already picked the Audio Technica headset which by all accounts is fantastic at retaining its sound quality base so I hope to hear a mini review on them here :)
0 x
Previously Instinx from GON!

DadusFly

Post by DadusFly » 15 Dec 2015, 19:30

hi acegiak! If you're looking specifically for stereo gaming headsets that cover both ears and not just a one-ear + mic you're def looking at probably $79 or above. Would they be for pc or console use? It's def worth going in knowing exactly what you need because some will only have Xbox one connectors etc. I might be able to point you in the right direction :)
0 x

acegiak

Re: RE: Re: I need new headphones! What do people recommend?

Post by acegiak » 15 Dec 2015, 20:33

DadusFly wrote:hi acegiak! If you're looking specifically for stereo gaming headsets that cover both ears and not just a one-ear + mic you're def looking at probably $79 or above. Would they be for pc or console use? It's def worth going in knowing exactly what you need because some will only have Xbox one connectors etc. I might be able to point you in the right direction :)
its for PC used equally for gaming and video editing. Its annoying because she was previously using these $50 turtle beach ones that did the job beautifully but the fell apart in just over year which I guess explains the price Image
0 x

DadusFly

Re: RE: Re: I need new headphones! What do people recommend?

Post by DadusFly » 16 Dec 2015, 20:27

acegiak wrote:
DadusFly wrote:hi acegiak! If you're looking specifically for stereo gaming headsets that cover both ears and not just a one-ear + mic you're def looking at probably $79 or above. Would they be for pc or console use? It's def worth going in knowing exactly what you need because some will only have Xbox one connectors etc. I might be able to point you in the right direction :)
its for PC used equally for gaming and video editing. Its annoying because she was previously using these $50 turtle beach ones that did the job beautifully but the fell apart in just over year which I guess explains the price Image
Yeah that sounds about right, personally I see a lot of turtle beach faults, build quality is a real concern for me with that brand. For decent headset on a budget I'd probably look toward steel series, in particular the Siberia RAW headphones, you should be able to find a pair on cheap sites for around $65 maybe? Don't bother with the PRISM versions though, more expensive just to have colourful LED's
0 x

acegiak

Post by acegiak » 27 Dec 2015, 21:01

I ended up getting my parter some Gamecom 788's when I found them for $98 at EB. She's pretty chuffed with them and they seem pretty good so far.
0 x

DadusFly

Post by DadusFly » 30 Dec 2015, 22:55

So long as the person receiving them is happy then that is what matters, glad it worked out :)
0 x

acegiak

Post by acegiak » 30 Dec 2015, 23:59

Yeah she was pretty stoked. :D
0 x