nVidia shield worth it?

Mugsy

nVidia shield worth it?

Post by Mugsy » 21 Jun 2019, 06:36

I need to get a media player so the girlfriend can watch her Youtube and Netflix on the big screen (well, my now out of date 40" Sony LCD TV) and also playback video files with SRT sub support.

Originally I was thinking of getting a MiBox... nice and cheap and has the USB port, then I saw the shield on sale...

https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/465110

Wouldn't mind getting an extra USB port, ethernet port and also have game streaming. God knows my Steam pile of shame needs chipping away at. Plus it looks like I'm gonna be switch to an Android phone so I may as well go all out Google.

Anyone got any thoughts on the product?
0 x
CherryRed wrote:
02 Dec 2018, 21:33
It'll look amazing shoved up his ass if he doesn't actually learn to play the fucking thing.

n1cholas

Re: nVidia shield worth it?

Post by n1cholas » 22 Jun 2019, 16:37

Which gen of the Mi Box?

2016 Mi Box is model MDZ-16-AB

2018 Mi Box S is model MDZ-22-AB

I have the first gen Mi Box MDZ-16-AB and to say the experience has been painful would be an understatement, the box is still plagued by bugs one of which means I can't put the box to sleep or I'll have to reboot upon waking it.

The second gen Mi Box has a lot of issues too and since Xiaomi took years to resolve a lot of serious issues with the Mi Box I couldn't possibly recommend either Mi Box as both still have a considerable number of bugs and AMLogic who designed the chipsets and supply software for the Mi Box are hopeless.

https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/thread/3j0nk7l3

I'd spend the extra on the Shield personally especially if someone else is going to use the box and you want something that just works.
0 x

Mugsy

Re: nVidia shield worth it?

Post by Mugsy » 23 Jun 2019, 17:01

n1cholas wrote:
22 Jun 2019, 16:37
I'd spend the extra on the Shield personally especially if someone else is going to use the box and you want something that just works.
Yeah, I think I'll wait for the EOFY sales and grab me a Shield. Apparently, the new version is coming out soon so that should help drive down prices for the current model which more than meets my needs.

I do want the ethernet port which the Mi Box doesn't have... I can just see wifi causing issues for the girlfriend based on where I'm putting the router (unstairs and closer to our studies rather than downstairs near the living room.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:
02 Dec 2018, 21:33
It'll look amazing shoved up his ass if he doesn't actually learn to play the fucking thing.