Recommend an ISP to churn to

Makena

Re: Recommend an ISP to churn to

Post by Makena » 10 Nov 2015, 10:14

boars wrote:I don't think Makena meant line drop outs.... More just a general quality, ie if they make those changes you mentioned re forcing pipe, or generally just being bad like Optus :p also probably dropping things like freezone/steam servers/game servers/usegroups
Correct.
0 x

Sathias

Post by Sathias » 10 Nov 2015, 10:40

n1cholas wrote:Optus also only provide one line profile with high 12dB SNR margins to reduce the potential for dropouts and lower support costs but results in substandard downstream sync rates compared to other ISPs. They also cap upstream to 812kbps for no real reason. For those with bad and/or long lines you can loose 50% of your downstream going from a 6dB SNR margin line profile (most other ISPs have a line profile around this dB) to Optus' 12dB line profile.
Yikes, there goes Optus then. Although I manage SNR via my Billion and have it set for 3dB at the moment to get the most out of my long line. Or would Optus's settings override that?
0 x
"Put the damn gun down, boy. It aint no toy." - Lite

solo0017

Post by solo0017 » 10 Nov 2015, 10:47

boars wrote:Otherwise, nice post :)
Agreed, thanks for the info n1cholas.

One of the guys at work signed up with NuSkope a few months ago and says their service has been fine. I'm currently with iiNet and will stick with it until any service issues arise (plus being unmetered for Netflix is a huge draw) but I'd consider a swap to NuSkope as they're a South Australian company and their deals look pretty good. I'll also take into consideration how Optus plan to broadcast the English Premier League they just won the rights to.
0 x

n1cholas

Post by n1cholas » 10 Nov 2015, 11:25

Sathias wrote:Yikes, there goes Optus then. Although I manage SNR via my Billion and have it set for 3dB at the moment to get the most out of my long line. Or would Optus's settings override that?
Optus DSLAMs (hardware at the exchange your modem connects to) are configured to ignore any SNR tweaking done on the modem, some cases can't sync until SNR tweak is removed.
0 x

ginji

Post by ginji » 10 Nov 2015, 14:15

Being on a naked connection limits my options for moving... I'll stick with Internode until I have to move out (which will be in the next year anyway) and then look again.
0 x

Sathias

Post by Sathias » 10 Nov 2015, 14:38

n1cholas wrote:
Sathias wrote:Yikes, there goes Optus then. Although I manage SNR via my Billion and have it set for 3dB at the moment to get the most out of my long line. Or would Optus's settings override that?
Optus DSLAMs (hardware at the exchange your modem connects to) are configured to ignore any SNR tweaking done on the modem, some cases can't sync until SNR tweak is removed.
Thanks for the info n1cholas, very helpful. Do you know if Telstra are the same?
0 x

n1cholas

Post by n1cholas » 10 Nov 2015, 16:34

Sathias wrote:
n1cholas wrote:Thanks for the info n1cholas, very helpful. Do you know if Telstra are the same?
Telstra introduced Digital Line Management which is a system that automatically adjusts ADSL parameters depending on line conditions.

Telstra customers with DLM enabled have found their sync rates reduced significantly often for no reliability gain and some claim it introduces dropouts.

DLM probably has the same motivation as Optus' line profile, theoretically reduced support costs and bandwidth requirements.
0 x

AusWarlock

Post by AusWarlock » 10 Nov 2015, 16:50

And it is only a matter of time till they realise the Usenet server is still there and shut that down too. Buggered if I'm going to keep paying a premium price for TPG style bare-bones service.

I have to admit that part of it is punitive on my part and I'm basically looking to vote with my feet in protest for shutting down GON.
My thoughts exactly. There goes my beautiful Ubuntu Sabnzbd/CouchPotato/SickBeard/Headphones hack on AppleTV 1.0 hardware. Netflix eat your heart out.

And where will I play my daily BF4 games with low ping?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
0 x
I can feel your anger...

:twisted:

Maddog

Post by Maddog » 10 Nov 2015, 22:11

I'm with node for my NBN atm, if they drop stuff like the powerpacks, I'm gone. I'm on the 2nd half of my contract so any cancellation fee will be cheaper than if I hadn't entered a contract. Skymesh was the one I've been looking at
0 x

Sathias

Post by Sathias » 10 Nov 2015, 22:27

n1cholas wrote:
Sathias wrote:
n1cholas wrote:Thanks for the info n1cholas, very helpful. Do you know if Telstra are the same?
Telstra introduced Digital Line Management which is a system that automatically adjusts ADSL parameters depending on line conditions.

Telstra customers with DLM enabled have found their sync rates reduced significantly often for no reliability gain and some claim it introduces dropouts.

DLM probably has the same motivation as Optus' line profile, theoretically reduced support costs and bandwidth requirements.
Yikes, looks like I'm stuck with TPG until Mal builds his FTTN then. Very informative mate, I appreciate it.
0 x

Ralph Wiggum

Post by Ralph Wiggum » 10 Nov 2015, 23:25

Well I've done a bit of research and am pretty much screwed if I want to churn from Internode.

Currently on Naked DSL ($79 p/month with 250gb quota). I looked at Amnet but they don't offer Naked DSL from my exchange (http://www.adsl2exchanges.com.au/viewex ... hange=JTSX). No other ISP can provide a better deal than the TPG/iinet/Internode clusterfuck. The best I can do to give the finger is churn over to iinet who can give me $69 p/month with 1TB quota.
0 x
RIP Games.On.Net.

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 11 Nov 2015, 08:55

Ralph Wiggum wrote:The best I can do to give the finger is churn over to iinet who can give me $69 p/month with 1TB quota.
I'd take it... less cost, more quota... compared to what you're on now, you'd be doing more to help hurt TPG's bottom line.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:
02 Dec 2018, 21:33
It'll look amazing shoved up his ass if he doesn't actually learn to play the fucking thing.

n1cholas

Post by n1cholas » 11 Nov 2015, 13:45

Ralph Wiggum wrote:Well I've done a bit of research and am pretty much screwed if I want to churn from Internode.

Currently on Naked DSL ($79 p/month with 250gb quota). I looked at Amnet but they don't offer Naked DSL from my exchange (http://www.adsl2exchanges.com.au/viewex ... hange=JTSX). No other ISP can provide a better deal than the TPG/iinet/Internode clusterfuck. The best I can do to give the finger is churn over to iinet who can give me $69 p/month with 1TB quota.
Be aware that the new 1TB Naked plans removed freezone content including quota free Netflix.

Basically TPG-esque plans so by uptaking them you're directly encouraging Teoh's business practices of budget, no frill service at low prices.

If you don't use freezone might as well make the switch.
0 x

Matty

Post by Matty » 11 Nov 2015, 14:28

I'll be getting NBN in feb so I'll be off to a new ISP, I don't know how though. I'm a wallet voter so it wont be TPG simple because I just don't like em now.
0 x
Matter of fact, I didn't even give you my coat!

Brad

Post by Brad » 14 Nov 2015, 12:14

I'm probably going to give these guys a try when they go live... http://miniport.com.au/
I really feel like it cant be worse than the tier 2/3 options with anyone else at this point.
0 x

Shinanigans

Post by Shinanigans » 14 Nov 2015, 14:56

Brad wrote:I'm probably going to give these guys a try when they go live... http://miniport.com.au/
I really feel like it cant be worse than the tier 2/3 options with anyone else at this point.
Is there any more info on them than what's on that link?

What's the deal with NBN internet anyway? Does it even matter who you go with? Does the service/quality differ at all considering its a gov't rollout of hardware? Or is it safe to just sign up with whoever offers the best $/GB ?
0 x

Otto-matic Reiffel

Post by Otto-matic Reiffel » 14 Nov 2015, 17:03

The NBN bit is from your house to the exchange. After that it's all your ISP so if they decide to not bother with good backhaul or routing you are screwed despite your 100/40 connection.
0 x

Muffincakes

Post by Muffincakes » 14 Nov 2015, 22:53

Brad wrote:I'm probably going to give these guys a try when they go live... http://miniport.com.au/
Can't tell if srs...
0 x

Shinanigans

Post by Shinanigans » 15 Nov 2015, 09:41

Ah, didn't realise that! Thanks Otto :)
0 x

Brad

Post by Brad » 02 Dec 2015, 18:57

Muffincakes wrote:
Can't tell if srs...
Yea, pretty srs. I have been speaking to the guys starting it.
They seem legit in what they want to achieve. (reliable, non-congested internet). They are not going for the cheapest basement rates you can get to customer grab.
0 x

stingtwo

Post by stingtwo » 02 Dec 2015, 19:51

That ISP has some serious redflags, the parent companies site is running of an Amazon AWS instance, the site itself appears to running on shared hosting, not to mention their twitter has exactly 1 tweet and the facebook link goes nowhere. Theres a whole lot of other issues but i'll let other posters weigh in.
0 x

Brad

Post by Brad » 03 Dec 2015, 11:12

stingtwo wrote:That ISP has some serious redflags, the parent companies site is running of an Amazon AWS instance, the site itself appears to running on shared hosting, not to mention their twitter has exactly 1 tweet and the facebook link goes nowhere. Theres a whole lot of other issues but i'll let other posters weigh in.
For sure, as an outsider. I wouldn't give it a 2nd look.
Having said that, we all have to start somewhere. Shared hosting wouldn't stop me from using a startup business however. Why pay for a VPS or dedicated box when the need does not justify the cost.

I switched to Zeno before they went bust and my connection had never been more stable or reliable. Sadly they had a heap of NBN wholesale issues (I was ADSL) which caused them to go under... My ping to node CS:S servers was a good 8-10ms less than when I was on node too.
0 x

Punkley
Site Admin

Post by Punkley » 03 Dec 2015, 13:15

Also have a look at Adelaide ISP Esc.net.au We will have some interesting news about them soon :)
0 x

Mythor

Post by Mythor » 03 Dec 2015, 13:47

Escapenet require a minimum 12 month contract for an NBN connection, so I had to rule them out. They do have options for no contract on ADSL though.

I went with Skymesh, as per my earlier post. The call centre guy was very straightforward, all business, but followed up with a detailed email. No idea what the internet will be like once it's connected, but so far so good. :D
0 x
"Me ate truck once." - Cookie Monster
Player Attack! - Diablo 3 Clan Details

Otto-matic Reiffel

Post by Otto-matic Reiffel » 03 Dec 2015, 14:15

Punkley wrote:Also have a look at Adelaide ISP Esc.net.au We will have some interesting news about them soon :)
Are they getting bought out by TPG too? :dodgy:
1 x