ports

Celticangel82

ports

Post by Celticangel82 » 26 Jan 2016, 15:06

How do I go aboutgetting Telstra to install ports in my area? Or will it be a matter of, "won't be a housing estate anytime soon, so we won't bother"? There's like.. 10 houses on our road, and another 10 on the road that branches off, all rural farming, our whole area..
0 x

Matty

Re: ports

Post by Matty » 26 Jan 2016, 17:00

Not sure if same but we had pair gain line in our area for ages. The only way we could get an adsl port at the exchange was to have enough people in the area tell telstra they wanted adsl, only then they would proceed to upgrade the exchange. This was in the city so idk how it works out in no where.
Last edited by Matty on 26 Jan 2016, 20:42, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Matter of fact, I didn't even give you my coat!

Celticangel82

Post by Celticangel82 » 26 Jan 2016, 18:24

Mmmm. .. country folk here don't care much for the "google" ...
0 x

n1cholas

Post by n1cholas » 27 Jan 2016, 02:22

I hate to be the bringer of bad news but if you currently do not have copper laid in your area then there is little chance Telstra will lay copper in future.

It would not make financial sense for Telstra as you'd likely be moved to NBN satellite or fixed wireless in the near future.

Increasingly NBN is moving rural customers that were scheduled for fixed wireless to satellite to cut costs to cover blowouts associated with the MTM like copper and HFC remediation. Satellite cells are being over subscribed resulting in dialup throughput during peak periods and latency spiking from 100's of milliseconds that is typical for satellites to multiple seconds some even have unusable internet due to lack of bandwidth.

While you can always ask Telstra you may just have to put up with mobile internet which is horrendously expensive but may provide a more bearable experience than NBN satellite.

The LNP is lobbying for the Universal Service Obligation to be removed so in future Australians won't even have a legal ground for trying to demand a fixed phone line.

As long as rural electorates continue to vote for the LNP they will continue to be underserved and stuffer from third world internet connectivity.
1 x