Looking to upgrade current PC

solo0017

Looking to upgrade current PC

Post by solo0017 » 22 Feb 2016, 17:12

Hi Folks. I'm thinking about upgrading my current PC and wouldn't mind a bit of feedback on what people thought about my prospective upgrades. The main use of the computer is for gaming and also streaming the EPL through Foxsports. I've been looking at sourcing all the parts through an Adelaide company - Allneeds Computers. All the prices are current from their website.

I already have a Kingston V100 120GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD that I'll keep from the current system. Below are the selections that I've made using PCPartPicker - there are no compatability issues. I have also included the current components that I have. I bought the system second-hand so the CPU, Mobo, PSU and SSD are 5-7 years old. I'm not interested in overclocking and wouldn't expand upon one SSD, one HDD and one GPU.

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($335.00) - currently i7 950
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($183.00) - currently ASUS P6X58D-E
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($143.00) - currently Kingston 12GB (6 x 2GB) DDR3
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE 3X Video Card ($475.00) - currently Gigabyte GTX 760 2GB
Case: Corsair SPEC-02 ATX Mid Tower Case ($85.00) - currently CM Storm Scout
Total: $1221.00

I currently have a 500W CoolerMaster PSU that I would consider upgrading if people thought it was needed. According to PCPartPicker the estimated wattage for the above components is just under 300W. I'd probably look at 500W-600W PSU based on what I've read but haven't got a real feel for what brands would be the ones to look at.

I'd like to keep the budget to not go too much above $1300.00 so I've got a bit of room for a new PSU and/or maybe i5-6600K. I'm happy to look at any alternatives to anything I've selected that anyone recommends.

Thanks.
0 x

Mini

Re: Looking to upgrade current PC

Post by Mini » 22 Feb 2016, 19:02

First things that come to my mind...

Are you looking at overclocking?
Do you need a copy of windows?
0 x
Proudly supporting Player Attack through Patreon

Battle.Net - MiniSanders#1895
uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord

Nacimota

Post by Nacimota » 22 Feb 2016, 19:47

That all looks fine to me, although I have been telling people not to spend too much money on graphics cards since Polaris/Pascal is just around the corner and it's looking like it will be a much bigger step forward for GPUs relative to the last several years; but whether you think it's worth waiting is up to you I suppose.

PSU is probably fine, but if it's particularly old and you use your PC a lot, you might consider a new one just for efficiency's sake. Everyone has their favourite brands when it comes to PSUs; personally, I think you cannot go wrong with Corsair.

I don't really have a strong opinion re: 6600/k as I don't really overclock. If that's something you're interested in doing though, the price jump is only about $150ish depending on what cooler you get, so you might as well.
0 x

solo0017

Post by solo0017 » 23 Feb 2016, 09:49

Nacimota wrote:I don't really overclock. If that's something you're interested in doing though
Mini wrote:Are you looking at overclocking?
Overclocking is not something that I'm interested in. The 6600 comes with a heatsink and cooler whereas the 6600k doesn't so I'm saving a bit if I stick with the 6600.
Mini wrote:Do you need a copy of windows?
I will need a copy as the copy of Windows 7 Ultimate that came with system won't upgrade to Windows 10 through Windows Update or the Media Creation Tool on the Microsoft website - it can't be validated as genuine.
Nacimota wrote:Polaris/Pascal is just around the corner
As I'm not in too much of a rush for the upgrade, I'll have more of a read in to Pascal and see how it fits with my budget.

Thanks for the info guys.
0 x

Disruptor4

Post by Disruptor4 » 23 Feb 2016, 13:39

Yeah if you can help it, waiting for the new generation of GPU's due for release at some point this year could be a good idea. The step up in performance, efficiency etc looks to be good. If you can't wait, the 970 is a solid choice.

Stick with the 6600 (non K) if you're not going to overclock.

I'd probably change the PSU as it's seen abuse in the current system and efficiency will be better in new ones. Around 650W should do it.

In regards to Windows, you could always try and install Windows 10 fresh onto your SSD. You can download the full package via the Media Creation Tool direct onto a USB (following the tools steps it should format the USB etc for you). When activating you can input your Windows 7 Key and it should activate. Worst case is try calling Microsoft. They're generally pretty good from past experiences.
0 x