Federal Election 2016! It's on tonight!

Sathias

Re: Federal Election coming on July 2nd. It's on!

Post by Sathias » 30 Jun 2016, 23:16

The Chaser owned David Leyonhjelm so hard this week... he handled it exceptionally badly too, it was quite cringeworthy.

https://www.pedestrian.tv/news/entertai ... eb66d3.htm
0 x
"Put the damn gun down, boy. It aint no toy." - Lite

Matty

Post by Matty » 30 Jun 2016, 23:45

Amusingly LeslieHughesLDP is nowhere to be seen in that reddit thread. Dishing out but not taking seems to be a theme in LDP.
0 x
Matter of fact, I didn't even give you my coat!

Matty

Post by Matty » 01 Jul 2016, 12:17

Senate vote in SA is shit. I have 3 numbers left and no one I want to give it too. :(
0 x

Ralph Wiggum

Post by Ralph Wiggum » 01 Jul 2016, 12:40

My polling booth (primary school) has bacon & eggs rolls in the morning, sausage sizzle for the arvo and a coffee van. Hell. Yeah.
0 x
RIP Games.On.Net.

Mythor

Post by Mythor » 01 Jul 2016, 12:44

Had the same problem in NSW Matty. May have actually been easier to do the 12 below the line. Think the Senate results are going to be a mess.
0 x
"Me ate truck once." - Cookie Monster
Player Attack! - Diablo 3 Clan Details

Otto-matic Reiffel

Post by Otto-matic Reiffel » 01 Jul 2016, 15:00

Just put them in order of those you hate the least. Not easy when given choices like Family First and Christian Democrats (I'd probably put CD before FF because they are less likely to get in, so hopefully nether of them do)
0 x

Ralph Wiggum

Post by Ralph Wiggum » 01 Jul 2016, 15:34

My list of "least disliked" includes in no particular order Nick Xen, ALP, Greens, Arts Party, Renewable Energy...gotta find a sixth. Maybe Animal Justice coz I like animals, but I think they're a bit hippy to me.
0 x
RIP Games.On.Net.

brimlad

Post by brimlad » 01 Jul 2016, 15:45

crazy collection in the senate, I feel for those that have the 1 metre ticket to fill but this is a funny sum up of those we have to choose from... good luck folks and enjoy them sizzles...

https://knowyourparties.wordpress.com/
0 x

kharis

Post by kharis » 01 Jul 2016, 15:50

one more day and it's all over, just get out of my face political people
0 x

Ralph Wiggum

Post by Ralph Wiggum » 01 Jul 2016, 16:41

kharis wrote:one more day and it's all over, just get out of my face political people
Unless there's a hung parliament. Or a by-election. Or a box of votes goes missing.
0 x
RIP Games.On.Net.

André Axe'm

Post by André Axe'm » 01 Jul 2016, 17:11

Wait, I actually know one of the senate candidates...
This is weird.
0 x

Bicketybam

Post by Bicketybam » 01 Jul 2016, 21:02

Ralph Wiggum wrote:
kharis wrote:one more day and it's all over, just get out of my face political people
Unless there's a hung parliament. Or a by-election. Or a box of votes goes missing.
It will never be over... people will whinge about the result continuously no matter who wins.

0 x

Matty

Post by Matty » 02 Jul 2016, 03:38

So what happens to my senate votes if none of my numbers gets selected? Does it just end up going to the most popular person on my selection?
0 x

Nitephyre

Post by Nitephyre » 02 Jul 2016, 08:30

Vote [$2.50] Sausage Sanga! :D
0 x
Mugsy wrote:
09 Oct 2018, 21:26
I got nothing for ya... I was raised to not do things I wouldn't want done to myself. And that's why anal sex is off the agenda.

brimlad

Post by brimlad » 02 Jul 2016, 09:13

Matty wrote:So what happens to my senate votes if none of my numbers gets selected? Does it just end up going to the most popular person on my selection?
sort of, your choice's preferences are handed out if they are at the bottom of the pile
Exclusion of unsuccessful candidates
Starting with the candidate who has the lowest number of votes, unelected candidates are excluded from the count. Their ballot papers are distributed to the remaining candidates based on preferences. If any of the remaining candidates obtain a quota through this process of distribution, they are elected. Their surplus (if any) is transferred before any other candidates are excluded. The above process continues until all Senate positions are filled.
more detail at aec
http://www.aec.gov.au/voting/counting/senate_count.htm

essentially first prefs are handed out, those that get to quota get in straight away and their excess votes get handed out to 2nd prefs, rinse repeat and then bottom of pile gets the rest over the quota line; the process can take a couple of weeks.
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 02 Jul 2016, 11:36

Ralph Wiggum wrote:
Don't jinx it Ralph!

Normally I'd take an interest in elections so I can decide on who to vote for properly but both major parties seem so bad this time around.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:
02 Dec 2018, 21:33
It'll look amazing shoved up his ass if he doesn't actually learn to play the fucking thing.

Yurtles

Post by Yurtles » 02 Jul 2016, 12:47

I really struggled with the senate one, I picked out the ones I wanted to support and then went back and forth on minor single issue parties for ages for the last few. Pretty sure I didn't vote for any of the crackpots... pretty sure.
0 x
BorisBC wrote:Pro tip - if you have to spew in a car, spew down the (inside) front of your shirt. Trust me, it's a lot easier to clean spew off yourself than the interior of a car.

Mekon

Post by Mekon » 02 Jul 2016, 12:56

Matty wrote:So what happens to my senate votes if none of my numbers gets selected? Does it just end up going to the most popular person on my selection?
Nothing - if all of your choices are excluded, your vote exhausts. Is one of the consequences of the senate voting change - one I'm quite happy with, TBH, means there's no way in the world that my vote goes to a party I dislike. :P

That said, I'm not sure how that affects the required quotas for election - I'm assuming the quotas are reduced based on remaining votes once you get to the pointy end of counting.

edit: Yup, from Brimlad's link,
Exhausted votes

As a result of the Senate voting reforms to a partial preferential rather than fully preferential voting method, it is likely that there will be an increase in the number of exhausted votes. A vote is considered “exhausted” when there is no next available preference for any continuing candidate meaning that it must be set aside from the scrutiny at that point.

Elected without a quota

If, as a result of exhausted ballot papers, there is not enough votes in the count to fill remaining vacancies the legislation provides, as it did prior to the Senate voting reforms:

* that if one Senate position remains to be filled, and two candidates remain, the candidate with the highest number of votes shall be elected irrespective of whether they have reached the quota; or
* that if the number of continuing candidates is equal to the number of remaining vacancies, those candidates are elected.
edit: 2 x $5 democracy bacon and egg roll ftw. :)
0 x

bender

Post by bender » 02 Jul 2016, 13:22

Yurtles wrote:I really struggled with the senate one, I picked out the ones I wanted to support and then went back and forth on minor single issue parties for ages for the last few. Pretty sure I didn't vote for any of the crackpots... pretty sure.
This is good. It gets people thinking about other parties than labor/lib, and helps to promote legitimate alternatives. Could mean better diversity. In the previous system (party voting tickets), your vote might have gone to those you consider crackpots (if you voted above the line in the senate), but you wouldn't necessarily know it.

It will be interesting to see if the senate results turn out slightly more diverse than previous years.
0 x
Asus P8P67|2600K @4.5GHz-EK WC|16GB DDR3|Crucial MX100 512GB|HD6970 2GB-Aquacomputer WC|MCP35X|Obsidian 800D|X-fi Titanium|AD900

Matty

Post by Matty » 02 Jul 2016, 14:08

Mekon wrote: edit: 2 x $5 democracy bacon and egg roll ftw. :)
Wait, what? All I got was sausages?! This is an outrage! We need to do something about this. I could start a political party about the issue.

"The Sausage Party"
Yurtles wrote:I really struggled with the senate one, I picked out the ones I wanted to support and then went back and forth on minor single issue parties for ages for the last few. Pretty sure I didn't vote for any of the crackpots... pretty sure.
Our senate vote was shit too, it was crackpots galore. One candidate claimed he cured cancer with minerals.
0 x

Sathias

Post by Sathias » 02 Jul 2016, 14:36

Achievement Unlocked: 2016 Democracy Sausage

1 x
"Put the damn gun down, boy. It aint no toy." - Lite

brimlad

Post by brimlad » 02 Jul 2016, 14:53

N1 Sathias though I think that is over quota :)

and well explained Mekon much better than mine; senate is tricky business.
0 x

Spooler

Post by Spooler » 02 Jul 2016, 15:32

Someone on my facebook friends list voted for Pauline Hanson's party ...

Also Go Sathias dual wielding those sausages like a champ!
Last edited by Spooler on 02 Jul 2016, 15:55, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
DarkMellie wrote: I love Wang.
Disco LT wrote: Love Gaytimes
"GoN, where no one was afraid to show their love of gaytimes or wang."

kharis

Re: RE: Re: Federal Election coming on July 2nd. It's on!

Post by kharis » 02 Jul 2016, 15:49

Spooler wrote:Someone on my facebook freinds list voted for Pauline Hanson's party ...

Also Go Sathias dual wielding those sausages like a champ!
And they're still your friend ?

I should've just gone for the sausage but cbf
0 x

Spooler

Post by Spooler » 02 Jul 2016, 15:55

Ha facebook friends are not real friends ... at least not my facebook friends.
0 x
DarkMellie wrote: I love Wang.
Disco LT wrote: Love Gaytimes
"GoN, where no one was afraid to show their love of gaytimes or wang."