Federal Election 2016! It's on tonight!

Otto-matic Reiffel

Re: Federal Election 2016! It's on tonight!

Post by Otto-matic Reiffel » 06 Jul 2016, 12:58

Ralph Wiggum wrote:Screw you man, we've been talking secession here way longer :D We even had a referendum.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secessi ... _Australia

Waxit! Waxit! Waxit!
http://www.essentialbeauty.com.au :D

Hoping they get Grey also, though it looks like the postal votes are mostly going with the Libs. Apparently they do them by alphabetical order of town name, so the bigger centres like Port Lincoln and Port Augusta might turn it around again.
0 x

Spooler

Post by Spooler » 06 Jul 2016, 13:48

I'm kind of hoping the liberal party splits in half the radical right wing of the liberals needs to go be it's own thing.

Also can we as a nation please stop believing the bullshit of "defecit is bad, we need to stop borrowing money". It's utterly idiotic and deeply disturbing that we seemingly accept it as fact.
0 x
DarkMellie wrote: I love Wang.
Disco LT wrote: Love Gaytimes
"GoN, where no one was afraid to show their love of gaytimes or wang."

Sathias

Re: RE: Re: Federal Election 2016! It's on tonight!

Post by Sathias » 06 Jul 2016, 14:16

Spooler wrote:I'm kind of hoping the liberal party splits in half the radical right wing of the liberals needs to go be it's own thing.

Also can we as a nation please stop believing the bullshit of "defecit is bad, we need to stop borrowing money". It's utterly idiotic and deeply disturbing that we seemingly accept it as fact.

0 x
"Put the damn gun down, boy. It aint no toy." - Lite

Spooler

Post by Spooler » 06 Jul 2016, 14:17

your link is broken :(
0 x

Sathias

Post by Sathias » 06 Jul 2016, 14:18

0 x

Makena

Post by Makena » 06 Jul 2016, 14:21

Sathias wrote:Try this https://twitter.com/bencubby/status/750542925558386689

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
I assume this is the end result of what you're trying to link :P

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/ ... pzqak.html
0 x

Spooler

Post by Spooler » 06 Jul 2016, 14:30

Wow I'd love a cory bernardi party if he took some of the more toxic elements of the liberals with him Australian politics would massively improved when they end up losing their seats :twisted:
0 x

Sathias

Post by Sathias » 06 Jul 2016, 15:02

Imagine if Mal had to negotiate with both The Greens and the CNP (Cory's Nazi Party) haha
0 x

Matty

Post by Matty » 06 Jul 2016, 15:32

I'm ready for the ragtag bunch of senators to get into some wacky hijinks.
Sathias wrote:Imagine if Mal had to negotiate with both The Greens and the CNP (Cory's Nazi Party) haha
CNT. Cory Nazi Team.
"We're a bunch of CNT's and we know it!"
Last edited by Matty on 06 Jul 2016, 15:35, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Matter of fact, I didn't even give you my coat!

Ralph Wiggum

Post by Ralph Wiggum » 06 Jul 2016, 15:50

Cory's United National Traditionalists

Cory Overseeing Conservative Keepers
0 x
RIP Games.On.Net.

NoobyMcNoobnoob

Post by NoobyMcNoobnoob » 06 Jul 2016, 18:58

the sad thing is that they (the coalition) are not recognizing that there is a policy problem, or even a small amount of self reflection for how they have treated the people of australia. they seem to honestly believe they were born to rule and that every one else are idiots for not seeing it.

whatever the outcome mals back is knifeholder in waiting, the conservatives are going to blame him for their polices, the others will blame him for not standing up to the conservatives. This is not a pass, he bend over an took it from them to get PM in the first place, accepted to being a captain of a sinking ship just so he could wear the hat. I dont think they could negotiate their way out of a paper bag.

win-win for labor, not so much for australia. if labor actually gets over the line with a minority I think the coalition will cannibalize itself with infighting.

the biggest thing is the amount of swing away from both parties.

Lets face it they (the coalition) didnt have any palatable policy's for most of the 3 years, they kicked the poor then acted surprised when they wernt complimented on their steel capped boots (not that they even know about work boots). They have got massive MSM support,when was the last time they were asked any hard questions about whats behind their policys, they said jobs and growth and there only reasoning was trickeldown effect from $50 billion to tax cuts to companies (that weasel out of paying most of their tax), a massive (but now waning) support of blind rusted on (labor lost a lot of them to greens or independents). How many people still believe blindly that they libs are the best economic managers? no proof is needed if alan jones and andrew bolt said so on the tele and radio it MUST be true.

i got lots more bile but sorry will stop now.
0 x

Sathias

Post by Sathias » 06 Jul 2016, 19:06

Matty wrote:I'm ready for the ragtag bunch of senators to get into some wacky hijinks.
Sathias wrote:Imagine if Mal had to negotiate with both The Greens and the CNP (Cory's Nazi Party) haha
CNT. Cory Nazi Team.
"We're a bunch of CNT's and we know it!"
:lol: :thumbup:
Makena wrote:
Sathias wrote:Try this https://twitter.com/bencubby/status/750542925558386689

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
I assume this is the end result of what you're trying to link :P

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/ ... pzqak.html
Yeah I was trying to link a tweet on Tapatalk and failing miserably :P
0 x

Spooler

Post by Spooler » 06 Jul 2016, 20:21

Trickle damn economics really bothers me, if you honestly believe in it then a $50Bn tax cut isn't near enough for it to have more than a negligible effect.

Honestly you would get a better ROI if you did almost anything else with that money best use for it though would probably be increasing employer incentive to hire first job seekers.
0 x

Sathias

Re: RE: Re: Federal Election 2016! It's on tonight!

Post by Sathias » 06 Jul 2016, 20:49

Spooler wrote:Trickle damn economics really bothers me, if you honestly believe in it then a $50Bn tax cut isn't near enough for it to have more than a negligible effect.

Honestly you would get a better ROI if you did almost anything else with that money best use for it though would probably be increasing employer incentive to hire first job seekers.
Yep it's just an excuse for right wing pollies to give money to their rich mates.
0 x

bender

Post by bender » 06 Jul 2016, 22:57

Makena wrote:So Coalition minority government, or a coalition coalition gov if you will, 3 years of getting absolutely nothing done?
Yeah, even if the coalition get a majority gov (unlikely), the senate will be a mess. They might not even control the senate. Even if they do, they will have to deal with the whims of 4-5 independents. From the looks of it, labor would have a better time in the senate if they formed a government as they would likely control it with the greens and Xen.

I wouldn't be surprised if both parties decide to have another election though.
Sathias wrote:
Spooler wrote:Trickle damn economics really bothers me, if you honestly believe in it then a $50Bn tax cut isn't near enough for it to have more than a negligible effect.

Yep it's just an excuse for right wing pollies to give money to their rich mates.
IMHO, the concept works when there is massive growth and money is flowing easily - and when inequality is minimal. However, when growth slows down and inequality increases, the whole thing just falls apart. More often than not, the money saved from tax cuts just goes straight to investors pockets - who are already likely wealthy.

Whilst the argument is then that those people use the saved money to invest in other things, helping growth, proving new jobs etc. The government could achieve the same result by directly funding 'things', rather than providing a tax cut. It would also reduce inequality, making it harder for the rich to get richer.
0 x
Asus P8P67|2600K @4.5GHz-EK WC|16GB DDR3|Crucial MX100 512GB|HD6970 2GB-Aquacomputer WC|MCP35X|Obsidian 800D|X-fi Titanium|AD900

Spooler

Post by Spooler » 07 Jul 2016, 10:11

The reason it doesn't work is because to get half a percent of growth you need enough of that tax cut to make a difference to marginal propensity to spend.
Which when you're screaming at them "budget emergency" for 3 years they tend to not want to spend.
0 x

Sathias

Post by Sathias » 07 Jul 2016, 12:59

Yeah its the misplaced priorities that pisses me off.

"We need more money for public schools and hospitals"

Oh sorry, the cupboard is bare!

"Us banks and multinationals would like billions in tax breaks"

Sure thing, is 50 billion enough?
0 x

André Axe'm

Post by André Axe'm » 07 Jul 2016, 14:49

Throwing money at things doesn't tend to help much.
But they love being able to say big numbers.
0 x

Spooler

Post by Spooler » 07 Jul 2016, 16:04

Honestly what pisses me off is realistically we're not borrowing enough money, this country needs some SERIOUS infrastructure upgrades especially in health and public transport, we're so far behind demand it's disgusting.

We can definitely afford the projects long term but the mind-set of "we should have a surplus is just so dammed damaging.
A surplus is basically the definition of national economic mis-management. Seriously we should be angry when a surplus gets announced because it's basically the government saying "there's no way we can think to effectively utilize these resources to increase growth".
0 x

Sathias

Post by Sathias » 07 Jul 2016, 17:02

And that sort of stuff IS a good investment. It's infrastructure that actually has a dollar value, in many cases generates revenue (e.g. NBN) and boosts employment. A corporate tax cut would mainly end up in the hands of large corporations or the IRS. The latter being because for many overseas companies, they pay Australian tax for business dealings in Australia (well, are supposed to) and then in the US, pay the difference between our corporate tax rate and theirs, and theirs is higher. So if we cut our tax rate, they just end up paying more in the US! Sot hey don't have any more money to spend on increasing economic activity, and a lot of that $50bn is literally us handing over money to the United States government. Taxpayer dollars well spent, no wonder the Libs are known as superior economic managers!
0 x

Matty

Post by Matty » 07 Jul 2016, 18:27

Hindmarsh (my electorate) is down to 68 votes diff.
http://vtr.aec.gov.au/HouseDivisionPage-20499-185.htm
0 x

ChainsawMcP

Post by ChainsawMcP » 07 Jul 2016, 18:36

Ralph Wiggum wrote:Screw you man, we've been talking secession here way longer :D We even had a referendum.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secessi ... _Australia

Waxit! Waxit! Waxit!
New Zealand beat you to it (sort of) by not joining the Commonwealth - and even though WA was talking secession BEFORE* the Constitution you did eventually sign on and now you can't secede - the Constitution doesn't provide a way to do it...

WHEREAS the people of New South Wales, Victoria, South Australia, Queensland, and Tasmania, humbly relying on the blessing of Almighty God, have agreed to unite in one indissoluble Federal Commonwealth under the Crown of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland, and under the Constitution hereby established:
And whereas it is expedient to provide for the admission into the Commonwealth of other Australasian Colonies and possessions of the Queen:

WA were late in approving the Constitution, so they don't appear in the preamble... but they were provided for in the "admission of other colonies" and they are in the definition of states as is New Zealand

Section 6 of the Constitution - Definitions
The States shall mean such of the colonies of New South Wales, New Zealand, Queensland, Tasmania, Victoria, Western Australia, and South Australia, including the northern territory of South Australia, as for the time being are parts of the Commonwealth, and such colonies or territories as may be admitted into or established by the Commonwealth as States; and each of such parts of the Commonwealth shall be called a State.

https://www.legislation.gov.au/Details/C2013Q00005

*https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auralia
Matty wrote:I'm ready for the ragtag bunch of senators to get into some wacky hijinks.
It's not often that Andrew Bolt distances himself from somebody because they are too far Right... but this guy managed it

Malcolm Roberts is a Senator for Pauline's One Nation party - who wants climate scepticism taught in schools and believes in the "New World Order" conspiracy stuff

http://blogs.news.com.au/heraldsun/andr ... _this/P20/
http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/ ... pytok.html
0 x

Sathias

Post by Sathias » 07 Jul 2016, 18:42

ChainsawMcP wrote:It's not often that Andrew Bolt distances himself from somebody because they are too far Right... but this guy managed it

Malcolm Roberts is a Senator for Pauline's One Nation party - who wants climate scepticism taught in schools and believes in the "New World Order" conspiracy stuff

http://blogs.news.com.au/heraldsun/andr ... _this/P20/
http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/ ... pytok.html
Wow, he looks like a total psychopath too. And now he might be part of our government, thanks Mal! That DD was a great idea.
0 x

Matty

Post by Matty » 07 Jul 2016, 18:46

I also don't think too highly of them but they did get enough votes, so, *Shrugs* can't argue that people don't want him there. I don't think you can really blame Mal for that. Other than maybe people not liking him and voting for someone else.
Senate is going to be pretty cool though. It's like a reality TV show now!
0 x

Sathias

Post by Sathias » 07 Jul 2016, 19:15

Matty wrote:I also don't think too highly of them but they did get enough votes, so, *Shrugs* can't argue that people don't want him there. I don't think you can really blame Mal for that. Other than maybe people not liking him and voting for someone else.
Senate is going to be pretty cool though. It's like a reality TV show now!
The DD means that you only need half a quota (8% instead of 16%) to get a Senate seat, Pauline would have likely got her seat but the other QLD guy wouldn't even have a chance unless they got around double the vote they got.
0 x