Oculus Rift VR Headset available for pre-order this week

Player Attack News straight from the horse's mouth
NewsBot

Oculus Rift VR Headset available for pre-order this week

Post by NewsBot » 05 Jan 2016, 18:17

Get your pre-orderin' fingers ready: You'll be able to hand over a stack of cash for the Oculus Rift VR Headset this week, even though we don't know quite how big a stack it'll be just yet.

Read more here https://www.playerattack.com/news/2016/ ... this-week/
0 x

Mythor

Re: Oculus Rift VR Headset available for pre-order this week

Post by Mythor » 05 Jan 2016, 18:19

Super fat stacks of cash, no doubt. :(
0 x
"Me ate truck once." - Cookie Monster
Player Attack! - Diablo 3 Clan Details

GamingKen

Post by GamingKen » 05 Jan 2016, 19:32

The whole key to this being a success rides upon it coming in at an affordable cost. If it ends up in a scenario of it being owned by the few, and not the many, it will be dead in the water. And that really goes for VR across the board.
0 x

HunterKiller

Post by HunterKiller » 06 Jan 2016, 14:03

Many rumours are floating around that the cost will be between $350-500US.

It comes with the headset, 2 games, sensor and apparently this consumer model has two screens in it running 1080x1200 and PC specs are said to be 970+.

So I wouldnt be surprised if it were dearer.

Pre order is tomorrow at 3am EDLST if you want to wait up.

Also if you were one of the original kickstarter backers you get a special edition VR for free (just confirmed this morning)
0 x

Spawneh

Post by Spawneh » 06 Jan 2016, 20:18

I'm confused by how I remember reading that Elite Dangerous no longer supports the oculus? Does that mean if I had an oculus it would not work for elite dangerous? Would it be something that breaks at times?
0 x

Anon. E. Moose

Post by Anon. E. Moose » 06 Jan 2016, 20:46

Spawneh wrote:I'm confused by how I remember reading that Elite Dangerous no longer supports the oculus? Does that mean if I had an oculus it would not work for elite dangerous? Would it be something that breaks at times?
Elite doesn't support the Oculus above SDK 0.6.
Hey everyone,

With the news that Oculus are starting pre order of their consumer version tomorrow, I wanted to just make a quick post to confirm that we are still actively working with Oculus but currently the only SDK we are able to officially support is 0.6.

We wanted to make sure you had as much up to date information as possible and will let you know as soon as we have any more information.

Fly safe, Commanders!
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=221107
0 x

Bicketybam

Post by Bicketybam » 07 Jan 2016, 04:55

Wasn't waiting up, just spotted this and had a look... $599 USD (with current conversion = $850AU approx).

Apparently my cpu is not up to snuff either, so looks like it will be a while before I get something like this.
0 x

GamingKen

Post by GamingKen » 07 Jan 2016, 04:59

Sheesh.. $850 means I won't be getting one soon. (Plus I would need a whole new computer anyway)
0 x

[URAUC]

Post by [URAUC] » 07 Jan 2016, 07:39

Not really surprised by the price, have got some money put aside for this, hopefully it doesn't get spent!
I think I will hold off for a while and see how it reviews.
0 x

Mini

Post by Mini » 07 Jan 2016, 08:03

I did a minor update last year, but nothing in it is even close to the specs they recommend...
And what if I don't want an XBox One controller? Can I have $100 taken off the price?

Will be interesting to see how they go though, I'm fairly certain they will still sell well.
And for games like Elite Dangerous they would be awesome, and well any racing game!
0 x
Proudly supporting Player Attack through Patreon

Battle.Net - MiniSanders#1895
uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord

Disco

Post by Disco » 07 Jan 2016, 08:41

$850 + a major upgrade to my pc :lol: Pass.
0 x
Nekosan wrote:
29 Mar 2018, 00:36
Disco is fkn banned from the flamethrower. :lol:

linxus

Post by linxus » 07 Jan 2016, 09:34

^ Agreed. With the Valve/HTC thing probably coming in the same, it's looking dire :(
0 x
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197975825451]Image[/url]

Anon. E. Moose

Post by Anon. E. Moose » 07 Jan 2016, 09:40

linxus wrote:^ Agreed. With the Valve/HTC thing probably coming in the same, it's looking dire :(
Let's just hope it's a bit more competitively priced, because $850 is a bit craycray.
I also don't need that Xbone controller, let me save $100 there at least.
0 x

Longflanks

Post by Longflanks » 07 Jan 2016, 09:59

Yes I can only hope they come down in price over time before I could get one
0 x

boars

Post by boars » 07 Jan 2016, 10:08

Anon. E. Moose wrote:
linxus wrote:^ Agreed. With the Valve/HTC thing probably coming in the same, it's looking dire :(
Let's just hope it's a bit more competitively priced, because $850 is a bit craycray.
I also don't need that Xbone controller, let me save $100 there at least.
Well.... the pricing above isn't actually accurate.

Go into the shopping cart and select Australia and it adds tax... albeit not what I'd consider 10%... so not sure how they worked that one out.
Price goes to 649.

Which I'm going to go out on a limb and assume they're still talking USD, which means you're looking at a total of $918.89.
0 x

Makena

Post by Makena » 07 Jan 2016, 10:13

boars wrote:Well.... the pricing above isn't actually accurate.

Go into the shopping cart and select Australia and it adds tax... albeit not what I'd consider 10%... so not sure how they worked that one out.
Price goes to 649.

Which I'm going to go out on a limb and assume they're still talking USD, which means you're looking at a total of $918.89.
It's still USD, was confirmed on the forums, also people on reddit saying ~$150 on shipping too, total is nearly $1100. The hardware required to run it properly also isn't super cheap, very much aimed at the higher end of the market for the moment. Hopefully that's big enough that more games keep coming, more hardware keeps coming and the prices get pushed down.
1 x

Mini

Post by Mini » 07 Jan 2016, 10:17

Crazy pricing... especially for Australians.
Even the US price of $500 is a bit high really, but I know it is new tech, and we hope that other people come into the market and push prices down
0 x
Proudly supporting Player Attack through Patreon

Battle.Net - MiniSanders#1895
uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord

Nitephyre

Post by Nitephyre » 07 Jan 2016, 11:07

While expensive, this is just the the first Landmark release... give it a year or so and they'll offer a lite version without the controller, games and such.
0 x
Mugsy wrote:
09 Oct 2018, 21:26
I got nothing for ya... I was raised to not do things I wouldn't want done to myself. And that's why anal sex is off the agenda.

Nacimota

Post by Nacimota » 07 Jan 2016, 11:14

Price is more or less in the range I expected; wouldn't be surprised if it had been higher. I do think they have communicated very poorly about what the price was going to be, however, since they were apparently saying "$350 ballpark".
Anon. E. Moose wrote:I also don't need that Xbone controller, let me save $100 there at least.
You're dreaming if you think the xbox controller added $100 to the price; that's more than the retail value of the controller. They're getting it cheap from MS as you would expect and selling the whole thing at a loss, so I doubt the cost of the controller contributes significantly (if at all) to the price.
0 x

Mythor

Post by Mythor » 07 Jan 2016, 11:19

It's not costing them anything to put the games in there, that's a promotional deal. I'd wager the controller isn't costing them the retail price either and maybe not much more than the manufacturing price. Larger production runs and manufacturing refinements may bring the price down but they need to sell enough volume for that to happen. [Edit: Typed this before Nacimota posted, not removing it now!]

Right now you'd have to be crazy to buy one at the price they're asking. There's hardly any compatible games, you need to already have or be willing to purchase a powerful enough PC and there's no guarantee developers will support it going forward. It's a huge gamble.
0 x

Mythor

Post by Mythor » 07 Jan 2016, 11:45

FYI the Oculus Twitter has confirmed prices are still in USD for Australian and New Zealand orders. Example tweet: https://twitter.com/oculus/status/684885244588105728

Seeing quite a bit of confusion from people on this. Hope it's only from people who have yet to place their order!
0 x

Nacimota

Post by Nacimota » 07 Jan 2016, 14:06

https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/ ... /?sort=top
Palmer Luckey wrote:I handled the messaging poorly. Earlier last year, we started officially messaging that the Rift+Recommended spec PC would cost roughly $1500. That was around the time we committed to the path of prioritizing quality over cost, trying to make the best VR headset possible with current technology. Many outlets picked the story up as “Rift will cost $1500!”, which was honestly a good thing - the vast majority of consumers (and even gamers!) don’t have a PC anywhere close to the rec. spec, and many people were confused enough to think the Rift was a standalone device. For that vast majority of people, $1500 is the all-in cost of owning Rift. The biggest portion of their cost is the PC, not the Rift itself.

For gamers that already have high end GPUs, the equation is obviously different. In a September interview, during the Oculus Connect developer conference, I made the infamous “roughly in that $350 ballpark, but it will cost more than that” quote. As an explanation, not an excuse: during that time, many outlets were repeating the “Rift is $1500!” line, and I was frustrated by how many people thought that was the price of the headset itself. My answer was ill-prepared, and mentally, I was contrasting $349 with $1500, not our internal estimate that hovered close to $599 - that is why I said it was in roughly the same ballpark. Later on, I tried to get across that the Rift would cost more than many expected, in the past two weeks particularly. There are a lot of reasons we did not do a better job of prepping people who already have high end GPUs, legal, financial, competitive, and otherwise, but to be perfectly honest, our biggest failing was assuming we had been clear enough about setting expectations. Another problem is that people looked at the much less advanced technology in DK2 for $350 and assumed the consumer Rift would cost a similar amount, an assumption that myself (and Oculus) did not do a good job of fixing. I apologize.

To be perfectly clear, we don’t make money on the Rift. The Xbox controller costs us almost nothing to bundle, and people can easily resell it for profit. A lot of people wish we would sell a bundle without “useless extras” like high-end audio, a carrying case, the bundled games, etc, but those just don’t significantly impact the cost. The core technology in the Rift is the main driver - two built-for-VR OLED displays with very high refresh rate and pixel density, a very precise tracking system, mechanical adjustment systems that must be lightweight, durable, and precise, and cutting-edge optics that are more complex to manufacture than many high end DSLR lenses. It is expensive, but for the $599 you spend, you get a lot more than spending $599 on pretty much any other consumer electronics devices - phones that cost $599 cost a fraction of that to make, same with mid-range TVs that cost $599. There are a lot of mainstream devices in that price-range, so as you have said, our failing was in communication, not just price.
0 x

GamingKen

Post by GamingKen » 07 Jan 2016, 15:17

The reason for the cost, or the fact they aren't making money on it, matters little to me though as a consumer. In the end it has turned out to be (at least initially) far too highly priced for me to even entertain the idea of getting one in the foreseeable future, and I don't think I am in a minority there. VR has gone back to being a novelty gimmick that I will look at again in 10 years, when maybe this stuff doesn't cost so much. I see the future and possiblities of VR and I am excited, especially with what I can see it doing for sim racing, but at these prices I have far too much else to worry about spending that kind of money on (~$1100) in life.
0 x

HunterKiller

Post by HunterKiller » 07 Jan 2016, 18:03

Mearehear wrote:The reason for the cost, or the fact they aren't making money on it, matters little to me though as a consumer. In the end it has turned out to be (at least initially) far too highly priced for me to even entertain the idea of getting one in the foreseeable future, and I don't think I am in a minority there.
No your not, I have supported them with the DK1 and skipped the Dk2 for the consumer version but after seeing the price I was shocked, I was almost willing to go up to ~$600AU but almost double that is insane.

There are numerous posts out there of quotes from the OC team stating that the consumer model will be around the cost of the DK versions then the ball park comments.

They are far from that, also a few people had roughly worked out the production of these and they could have come in cheaper, yet they state that they are selling them at cost (give me a break).

Its probably Facebook recouping the cost of the buyout, lol.

Oh on the topic of FB, Mark stated that he wanted to released the OCR for free as bundles with games to get it out into the general public, well hasnt that backfired, with all these quoted comments floating around about what they have said, it really tarnishes their original interests/goals doesnt it.
0 x