Tabletop Gaming

Grab pen and paper, a dice bag and a bunch of tokens, and settle in here to chat about your real-world gaming activities.
Fireslide

Tabletop Gaming

Post by Fireslide » 09 Nov 2015, 12:30

So this thread is to talk about experiences with tabletop gaming, new kickstarters, photos all sorts.

Given that tabletop gaming is experiencing a golden era of unprecedented growth now is a great time to get into it. If the last boardgame you played was monopoly you're missing out on a huge range of new games with interesting and unique mechanics that make your brain tick.
0 x

CherryRed

Re: Tabletop Gaming

Post by CherryRed » 09 Nov 2015, 13:18

Following, because I'm interested - don't have a lot of experience apart from the old classics :)
0 x
Mugsy wrote:
09 Oct 2018, 21:26
I was raised to not do things I wouldn't want done to myself. And that's why anal sex is off the agenda.

Disruptor4

Post by Disruptor4 » 09 Nov 2015, 13:37

CherryRed wrote:Following, because I'm interested - don't have a lot of experience apart from the old classics :)
Old classics such as?

I played exploding kittens at PAX. Was quite interesting to say the least and I won too! Was a good feeling :P
0 x

CherryRed

Post by CherryRed » 09 Nov 2015, 13:41

Disruptor4 wrote:Old classics such as?
Monopoly, Scrabble, Pictionary, Trivial Pursuit, Uno, etc - the generic ones that have been around for decades.

A friend got exploding kittens in the mail a month or two ago, looked neat :)
0 x
Mugsy wrote:
I was raised to not do things I wouldn't want done to myself. And that's why anal sex is off the agenda.

Sathias

Post by Sathias » 09 Nov 2015, 13:47

I've been starting to get into Android: Netrunner, only had one game so far but my mate I used to play a lot of MTG with years ago is coming around on Thurs to give it a go :)
0 x
"Put the damn gun down, boy. It aint no toy." - Lite

CherryRed

Post by CherryRed » 09 Nov 2015, 13:51

We quite often struggle to find games because many need 4 players - we prefer stuff where we can play with 2 people, as most of our friends circle are married with kids so any get together's have to be planned weeks in advance... so we really need games suitable for 2 players.
0 x
Mugsy wrote:

kharis

Post by kharis » 09 Nov 2015, 14:12

exploding kittens is awesome, had to wait a while before playing it as it was a present for my sisters birthday, but once the day came it was glorious

its easy to play with just 2 as well
0 x

jambo

Post by jambo » 09 Nov 2015, 14:17

We have a group of friends that get together regularly to play boardgames, although young babies have been working against us lately.

Played a little bit of BANG!: The Walking Dead card game last night, rather enjoyed it. Kinda like Avalon, but with cards added in to the mix.

Hoping to play some more Cards Against Humanity and Zombicide soon.
0 x

CherryRed

Post by CherryRed » 09 Nov 2015, 14:22

I'm quite interested in 2 player card games actually, because they're easy to pack and take with you - Disco and I often do weekends away where we go 'offline' and it's neat to be able to sit around with a few bottles of wine and play different card games. Keep the card game suggestions coming :D
0 x
Mugsy wrote:

Fireslide

Post by Fireslide » 09 Nov 2015, 14:28

I highly recommend Love Letter as a 2 player game. Nice and quick, very portable. I'll come up with some other ones that are good for two as well.
0 x

CherryRed

Post by CherryRed » 09 Nov 2015, 14:31

Thanks Fireslide :) I'll check them out in more detail tonight.
0 x
Mugsy wrote:

jambo

Post by jambo » 09 Nov 2015, 14:34

There's stuff like Jaipur, Lost Cities and 7 Wonders: Duel

Or for a traditional 52 card deck: http://www.pagat.com/number/2_players.html

Or the classics, like UNO and Skip-Bo

Another good, compact 2 player game, albeit not card based, is Zombie Dice

0 x

Stoibs

Post by Stoibs » 09 Nov 2015, 15:07

Good Card games?
Sentinels of the Multiverse is about my favourite board/card game of all time that's relatively compact, though it probably is better with more than 2 people from experience.
0 x

Sathias

Post by Sathias » 09 Nov 2015, 15:17

CherryRed wrote:Thanks Fireslide :) I'll check them out in more detail tonight.
The one I mentioned before, Netrunner, is a 2-player only game. Could be a possibility, particularly if you like scifi/cyberpunk themes.
0 x
"Put the damn gun down, boy. It aint no toy." - Lite

CherryRed

Post by CherryRed » 09 Nov 2015, 15:32

Sathias wrote:
CherryRed wrote:Thanks Fireslide :) I'll check them out in more detail tonight.
The one I mentioned before, Netrunner, is a 2-player only game. Could be a possibility, particularly if you like scifi/cyberpunk themes.
I shall check it out too :)
0 x
Mugsy wrote:

Mini

Post by Mini » 09 Nov 2015, 15:59

Wow, this reminds me that I need to finish painting my Warhammer figurines... damn it...
And then get my brother motivated to get a game in... I feel like squishing some Rats...

Also Card Against Humanity is always good fun, but requires a few people with senses of humour...
I will repeat that THEY MUST HAVE SENSES OF HUMOUR!!!!
0 x
Proudly supporting Player Attack through Patreon

Battle.Net - MiniSanders#1895
uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord

kharis

Post by kharis » 09 Nov 2015, 16:01

I played a game of warhammer once, stupid high elves and their longer range than my lizardmen, painted for a while but have crappy eyes so haven't painted in a while, also children and husband keep eating all the monies
0 x

Vital-Blurs

Post by Vital-Blurs » 09 Nov 2015, 17:09

My group of half a dozen mates meetup every Thursday evening for games of the tabletop variety (and Thai takeaway). For quite a few years it was nothing but Magic the Gathering, but that game is so broken and unbalanced now, thanks to the inevitable 'power creep'. It doesn't help when half of the players are just there for a casual game of cards while the other half are hardcore deck building machines with unlimted funds.

Then a couple of years ago I managed to convert our Thursday nights to D&D nights. AD&D to begin with, because that's what most of us had played before. Then we recently switched to 5th edition, which feels like arcade mode after playing 2E, but everyone seems to prefer it now. If we're ever short of a full party we try to play something else though and so far these have been our alternatives.....

Magic the Gathering - good matches are getting rare, usually one sided and dull. Pay to win BS :P

Talisman - dice rolling game without a lot of strategy, but still fun if you can just 'enjoy the ride'. Games take way too long though....need to be able to leave the board setup to continue next session.

Relic - basically Talisman in space (WH40k theme) but they've made vast improvements to the game in every area. Talisman doesn't get a look in anymore. The only downsides are that while the game is slightly faster, it still takes a fair while and it's limited to 4 players.

Formula D - this one is great if you have 4+ players that are actually into cars and racing in some way. The amount of real world parallels in the game mechanics are surprising. Loads of gameplay customisation options available. I think I prefer this one over the others. Games only take an hour or so too.
0 x

SuBw00FeR

Post by SuBw00FeR » 09 Nov 2015, 18:44

DnD > *

Jk, I found some cool Frosted Dice at PAX, I never knew Frosted Dice existed, so I insta-bought them. I absolutely love them.

These are the ones I got: Image

Store you can get them from: http://store.aetherworks.com.au/product ... s_id=11376

They have other colours too.
0 x
Main PC: i7 3770k @ 4.6ghz - 4x4GB Corsair RAM - SLI'd G1 Gaming GTX 980 - MSI Z77 MPOWER

Venom

Post by Venom » 11 Nov 2015, 10:57

Starting to get a group of friends circulating around 40k. They introduced me and so we get together when we have time to paint and play. We play few games though as they are always buying more... A mate has like 5000 points of tyranids, which none of them painted but they are all assembled. As soon as he assembles a box of them he buys another. Never plays either. Ahh well to each their own :) I'm trying to get just a small 650 point army painted enough to take it to the Workshop for games.

We are actually going to give the Deathwatch RPG a go one night soon. If we can find the damn rulebook anywhere in Adelaide! Might be ordering one online. There is an online Australian store I have found but always worth shopping around.
0 x
Previously Instinx from GON!

Jimmy_The_Geek

Post by Jimmy_The_Geek » 11 Nov 2015, 14:15

Massive tabletop guy. The DnD campaign (4e) I'm running at the moment takes place in Rhye, the fantasy land where most of Freddie Mercury's songs are set. My players are absolutely loving it
0 x
Superman, Tabletop, Video and Pro Wrestling.

dotarray
Site Admin

Post by dotarray » 14 Nov 2015, 15:46

Welcome to the new Other Gaming forum!
You are now among your people. Go forth and celebrate :)

Also:
SuBw00FeR wrote:I found some cool Frosted Dice at PAX
...they look delicious :)
0 x
Jessica Citizen, formerly Chienne
Player Attack!

"I love sleep. My life has the tendency to fall apart when I'm awake, you know?" - Ernest Hemingway

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 14 Nov 2015, 16:17

Fireslide wrote:I highly recommend Love Letter as a 2 player game. Nice and quick, very portable. I'll come up with some other ones that are good for two as well.
I've played the Batman version, it's truly excellent!

A friend of mine is a boardgame collector and goddamn, some of them are so involved. My favourite boardgame concept is the one I've read about where you can only play it a few times before the whole thing is done forever.

I tried to get my wife into playing boardgame, just the two of us, but I think she finds it a little childish... I'd far prefer a boardgame than gluing my brain to netflix three nights a week :(

EDIT: For years now I've really wanted to get into RPGs like AD&D again (used to play a tiny bit of Shadowrun, HoL D&D and Paranoia). We always descended into silliness and I didn't quite 'get' the whole concept. Nowadays, I want to GM, I have so many stories to tell but sadly, being a 38 year old dad in Tassie means I have neither the time nor people in similar circumstances to do so!
0 x

Otto-matic Reiffel

Post by Otto-matic Reiffel » 14 Nov 2015, 16:59

There's normally a local group or something where you can do a looking for group post, even in Tassie. Other option is something online like roll20. Just try to get with a group you think you can get along with as people, then RPGs are easy.
0 x

vcatkiller

Post by vcatkiller » 29 Nov 2015, 14:00

Been playing Zombicide with mates for over a year now. It can suit up to six players but me and a mate often get together and play together, you can do it if you play multiple characters each. In fact you can even solo it if you're lonely...
0 x