Rogue One (first Star Wars standalone)

Anon. E. Moose

Re: Rogue One (first Star Wars standalone)

Post by Anon. E. Moose » 08 Apr 2016, 11:19

Kinky Kel wrote:I thought many Bothans died to bring them that information though?
That was the second Death Star.
0 x

Kinky Kel

Post by Kinky Kel » 08 Apr 2016, 12:47

Was it? I thought it was the first one. It's been a while since I've watched 4, 5 and 6.
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 08 Apr 2016, 13:18

That was Death Star 2 plans that Manny Bothams died for ;)

I can't remember which plans Kyle Katarn help steal. Sucks that it's no longer cannon.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:
02 Dec 2018, 21:33
It'll look amazing shoved up his ass if he doesn't actually learn to play the fucking thing.

Ralph Wiggum

Post by Ralph Wiggum » 08 Apr 2016, 14:10

Mugsy wrote:That was Death Star 2 plans that Manny Bothams died for ;)

I can't remember which plans Kyle Katarn help steal. Sucks that it's no longer cannon.
Kyle Katarn steals the first Death Star plans.
0 x
RIP Games.On.Net.

jambo

Post by jambo » 08 Apr 2016, 14:45

Ralph Wiggum wrote:Kyle Katarn steals the first Death Star plans.
Not.

Canon.
0 x

Ralph Wiggum

Post by Ralph Wiggum » 08 Apr 2016, 15:35

jambo wrote:
Ralph Wiggum wrote:Kyle Katarn steals the first Death Star plans.
Not.

Canon.
To quote a certain nerf-herder:

"I know."

I was answering Mugsy's question, hence the quote :)
0 x
RIP Games.On.Net.

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 08 Apr 2016, 18:03

Disco wrote:I'm also concerned that I'm going to get burned out on them over the next few years like I have with superhero movies
Yeah, with the extreme hype that came with Ep7, getting that every year for the next 4-5yrs may just burn me out with Star Wars.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:
It'll look amazing shoved up his ass if he doesn't actually learn to play the fucking thing.

Ralph Wiggum

Post by Ralph Wiggum » 08 Apr 2016, 21:08

As long as they do it right, I'm okay with that. The story lines (for now) are not directly interlinked, provide a different perspective and have huge potential. No different to all the comic book movies (namely MCU) being pumped out.
0 x
RIP Games.On.Net.

Dexterians

Post by Dexterians » 09 Apr 2016, 08:40

That trailer was amazing. I'm excited for it.
Will be interesting to see how this direction of pumping Star Wars goes for Disney...

...that Darth Maul april fools trailer though... why can't it be real?
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 10 Apr 2016, 08:15

OK, we get it!...

So it's a pre-sequel.
Last edited by Mugsy on 10 Apr 2016, 13:32, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:

Dexterians

Post by Dexterians » 10 Apr 2016, 13:13

That video is broke... but where does it fit in the timeline then?

Before 4? Inbetween 4 and 5?

Yeah, wouldnt a prequel technically mean that it's set before 1?? haha.
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 11 Apr 2016, 06:05

Hmmm, video needs to be viewed on Youtube directly so it seems.

Rogue One is set between Ep 3 and 4.

IGN seems to be pumping out a lot decent fake trailers lately...

0 x
CherryRed wrote:

Disruptor4

Post by Disruptor4 » 13 Apr 2016, 21:22

I'm interested to know who the characters are. I wonder if the lead is going to be (are we still doing spoilers for TFA???)
Rey's parent(s)?
Though I do wish/hope Kyle Katarn was/is in this... I'm still attached to the old knowledge OKAY!?
0 x

kharis

Post by kharis » 13 Apr 2016, 21:24

sorry Disruptor4
the above spoiler has been nullified https://www.yahoo.com/movies/star-wars- ... 09168.html
0 x

phylum

Post by phylum » 13 Apr 2016, 22:27

Just because it's not the main woman doesn't mean there won't be some setup for Rey's parents in this movie though.

Specifically for the people who believe in an Obi-Wan relation, this movie might give us something.

I hope it isn't a huge thing though. If the next movie ends in a big family reveal then it's going to feel cheap and dissatisfying, because that's just what Empire did. (I'm similarly worried that the ultimate climax of the story will be Kylo's redemption and death.) Families are important to Star Wars, we get it. Kylo Ren is and will continue to be a great example of that. The things I didn't like in Ep7 can generally be tied back to the MYSTERY that they were spinning around Rey's origins, too.
0 x

Mythor

Post by Mythor » 13 Apr 2016, 23:34

Kenobi had no children. You only have to look at what happened with Anakin and Padme and the life Kenobi was living by the time of A New Hope, not to mention the Jedi code. If they crowbar a family into his life I will be very disappointed.

Far more likely she's a clone, given the saberdart she was scratching out a calendar with.
Aaaaaaanyway. I am keen to find out. Hope it's revealed in a more interesting fashion than Kylo Ren's parentage.

Rogue One's a prequel, no matter what the garbage Funny or Die video says. I hope there's some ties to A New Hope - like explaining why R2 had the older plans, and how they came to be in Leia's possession - but I'd rather they save Rey's story for movies she's in, not preempt the reveal in a "standalone". If they're going to do separate movies in the same universe they really need to stand on their own to some degree.
0 x
"Me ate truck once." - Cookie Monster
Player Attack! - Diablo 3 Clan Details

phylum

Post by phylum » 14 Apr 2016, 15:22

Oh I really don't think she is a Kenobi. It was just an example I guess. Isn't Star Wars just going to become like Marvel now though? Flogging the dead horse for a new movie every year, stupid references between every different sub-franchise...

Maybe I'm too cynical.
0 x

Nekosan

Post by Nekosan » 15 Apr 2016, 19:48

phylum wrote:Oh I really don't think she is a Kenobi. It was just an example I guess. Isn't Star Wars just going to become like Marvel now though? Flogging the dead horse for a new movie every year, stupid references between every different sub-franchise...

Maybe I'm too cynical.

No see these are the parts of the story everyone always wanted to see... where Marvel is just shitting out movies and series with any character with any hope of appealing to a special interest group. Who the fuck really wanted Jessica Jones & Black Panther or an Ant Man movie?

Marvel make some weird ass choices. :crazy:
0 x
steamcommunity.com/id/krautpants

phylum

Post by phylum » 16 Apr 2016, 01:13

Jessica Jones was well put together mostly, they just made some really strange choices in the second half of the series and didn't seem to get their own point in the end. Either way, it was good fun and one of the better shows I've seen lately. I'm completely bored of Marvel at this point and I really enjoyed it, so that has to mean something.
Nekosan wrote: No see these are the parts of the story everyone always wanted to see...
Is this really something everyone has wanted to see? I can't say I've ever thought about it. Extended universes are a dangerous thing, and the OT doesn't really give you much to go on. Now some people did amazing things with the old Star Wars EU, but I can't say I ever cared who stole the Death Star plans watching the OT. It's a story about a dude who learns about himself, and his family. He learns to control his emotion, to believe in something bigger, and his continued stand against The Baddies in the face of death sparks his father to redeem himself and save the day. The Death Star drove the plot of the original movie, but all we need to know is that it's there and what it represents.
0 x

jambo

Post by jambo » 18 Apr 2016, 10:20

Nekosan wrote:No see these are the parts of the story everyone always wanted to see... where Marvel is just shitting out movies and series with any character with any hope of appealing to a special interest group. Who the fuck really wanted Jessica Jones & Black Panther or an Ant Man movie?

Marvel make some weird ass choices. :crazy:
Ant-Man was pretty damn well received, same with Jessica Jones. I loved Ant-Man, felt like Paul Rudd was perfect for the role.

And I think it's great that a non white character is getting a solo film. Sounds like he is also the best part of the new Captain America film, along with Spider-Man.

Marvel's "werid ass choices" sure are bringing in a fuck tonne of money.
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 18 Apr 2016, 14:15

Not to mention some great talent like Michael Douglas and David Tennant.

I am finding the movies and shows that I didn't ask for to be the ones that are really impressing me.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:

Ralph Wiggum

Post by Ralph Wiggum » 18 Apr 2016, 18:22

Remember when Disney bought Lucasfilm and the complainers all said Star Wars would turn to shit? Well surprise surprise The Force Awakens didn't turn out to be balls. And Rogue One looks pretty damn good so far.

Interestingly enough Disney also own Marvel Studios. The same ones pumping out the MCU movies that mostly seem to get pretty good reviews. Word is Civil War is getting rave reviews. I don't watch the TV shows but I hear they're decently received at the very least.

So if Disney keep playing the game right, I feel like Star Wars is on the right track. Like I said, one movie a year is bearable if they're decent.

We feel like Marvel is pumping out the movies, which is true in that this year we will have Deadpool, Civil War and Xmen and Dr Strange. 20th Century Fox however owns the movie rights to Deadpool and Xmen so Marvel has limited control over their release plans. Fox was also responsible for the last shit Marvel movie, Fantastic Four.

Tldr: Marvel Studios and MCU good. Star Wars good.
0 x
RIP Games.On.Net.

Mythor

Post by Mythor » 18 Apr 2016, 20:12

Fox has Deadpool because of the X-Men license, I believe, though Deadpool's in the MCU while X-Men is a separate universe. It's all very confusing.

I was concerned when Lucas sold Star Wars to Disney, because as much as the prequel trilogy wasn't great it was still all coming from the creator. The Force Awakens has alleviated that concern a great deal, since it's clear everyone involved treated the project with the respect it deserved. Rogue One looks like it will continue and add to the series, just remains to be seen if they can pull it off.
0 x
"Me ate truck once." - Cookie Monster
Player Attack! - Diablo 3 Clan Details

Anon. E. Moose

Post by Anon. E. Moose » 18 Apr 2016, 20:23

Mythor wrote:though Deadpool's in the MCU while X-Men is a separate universe. It's all very confusing.
Deadpool is part of the Sonys X-Men universe, and with Cable being in Deadpool 2, I'd wager that the events of Apocalypse will influence the plot of DP2.
0 x

jambo

Post by jambo » 19 Apr 2016, 09:40

Deadpool and X-men are Fox. Deadpool is definitely not in the MCU.

Spider-Man was Sony, but is now in the MCU thanks to a joint deal after the failure of ASM2.

0 x