Mellie's Random Game Discussion Thread

This is where all the random stuff goes
Sathias

Re: Mellie's Random Game Discussion Thread

Post by Sathias » 09 Nov 2015, 21:13

NotThatDoug wrote:Been enjoying Rebel Galaxy but its giving me a massive case of space sim blue balls, its fun, but not much depth, then I look at my steam friends list and the 2 people I see in game the most are Moose and another mate of mine and they are both playing Elite and I'm like damn that looks fun.
Yeah I have been thinking along the same lines lately re Elite. Although a few of my friends tried it and it didn't really grab them, and another few got so hooked they practically live in the game. So unsure which camp I'd land in :lol:
0 x
"Put the damn gun down, boy. It aint no toy." - Lite

Spooler

Post by Spooler » 09 Nov 2015, 21:39

Tommorow is legacy of the void... and i have 1000 words of assignment left to write.

Plus side it doesn't go live until 4pm which means i have a solid chunk of time to finish it off. My university work may not be ready but my body is.
0 x
DarkMellie wrote: I love Wang.
Disco LT wrote: Love Gaytimes
"GoN, where no one was afraid to show their love of gaytimes or wang."

Matty

Post by Matty » 09 Nov 2015, 21:44

Spooler wrote:Tommorow is legacy of the void... and i have 1000 words of assignment left to write.

Plus side it doesn't go live until 4pm which means i have a solid chunk of time to finish it off. My university work may not be ready but my body is.
"Our release dates seems to hit right in exam period in Australia."

1 x
Matter of fact, I didn't even give you my coat!

Anon. E. Moose

Re: RE: Re: Mellie's Random Game Discussion Thread

Post by Anon. E. Moose » 09 Nov 2015, 22:08

NotThatDoug wrote:Been enjoying Rebel Galaxy but its giving me a massive case of space sim blue balls, its fun, but not much depth, then I look at my steam friends list and the 2 people I see in game the most are Moose and another mate of mine and they are both playing Elite and I'm like damn that looks fun.
I've been crazy addicted to E:D recently, it's one of the few games I can truly RP in as someone else. Just after I got back from PAX I finished an epic 71 stop rare trades run which over about a week netted be a few million credit, enough to move onto a bigger combat ship. After that I moved onto another section of populated space and started taking part in this week's community goal, which has revolved around a civil war in one of the systems, so I've basically been acting as a gun for hire for the Empire the last four days.

Just this morning I earn enough from combat bonds to buy another, larger ship. Sadly I have no where near enough credits to outfit it, so I have a shiny brand new Imperial Clipper just sitting in the hanger waiting to be taken for a spin.

Elite Dangerous Horizons releases later this month too, the start of season 2 for Elite, which adds planetary landings and exploration, planet bases, buggies and a couple new ships. With Fallout 4 coming out tomorrow, Elite will be put on the back burner and I probably won't pick up Horizons for a while.
0 x

NotThatDoug

Post by NotThatDoug » 09 Nov 2015, 22:53

Anon. E. Moose wrote: Elite Dangerous Horizons releases later this month too, the start of season 2 for Elite, which adds planetary landings and exploration, planet bases, buggies and a couple new ships. With Fallout 4 coming out tomorrow, Elite will be put on the back burner and I probably won't pick up Horizons for a while.
Yeah my buddy who has been playing non stop as well also mentioned Horizons, Think I might leave it for now and stick to Fallout 4, get Elite after I'm done with that.
0 x
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197970978425]Image[/url]

Mini

Post by Mini » 10 Nov 2015, 09:27

Just finished the first part of Shadowrun Returns...
Story is a bit weird, but it is awesome all the same. Hopefully the loose ends that I have are put together at some point
The actual fight scenes are great fun though, I am really loving the turn based method. Especially since it is only used during combat, also my drones are epic... love having a little flying gun turret follow me around.

Another part that has me really intrigued is that certain conversation topics are closed off unless you know the right way to talk to someone... this has thrown a couple of curve balls into conversations, as I have then missed out on things because that person is different to what my character knows. Other times it has allowed me to gain an advantage Some very cool concepts that I'm hoping flow through the series
0 x
Proudly supporting Player Attack through Patreon

Battle.Net - MiniSanders#1895
uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord

Disruptor4

Post by Disruptor4 » 10 Nov 2015, 10:01

Love it Forgetful_Lion
0 x

NotThatDoug

Post by NotThatDoug » 10 Nov 2015, 10:18

I really need to get around to playing Shadowrun, I have started it like 4 times now, then stopped playing for ages and keep forgetting where I am up to.
0 x

Spooler

Post by Spooler » 10 Nov 2015, 10:31

Matty wrote:
Spooler wrote:Tommorow is legacy of the void... and i have 1000 words of assignment left to write.

"Our release dates seems to hit right in exam period in Australia."

haha yea ... no distinctions for me this period !
0 x

Nacimota

Post by Nacimota » 10 Nov 2015, 20:08

I'm really enjoying Divinity: Original Sin. It's got a lot of character. It's also a little harder than I was expecting but once you get used to it it's great. I love the tactics of turn-based games; it's a wonder I don't play them more often.
0 x

Mini

Post by Mini » 10 Nov 2015, 20:50

Nacimota wrote:I'm really enjoying Divinity: Original Sin. It's got a lot of character. It's also a little harder than I was expecting but once you get used to it it's great. I love the tactics of turn-based games; it's a wonder I don't play them more often.
I really need to get back into this... I finished the first area and had something else to go onto... and then never got back to it...
But Shadowrun needs to be finished first, and then XCom... hmm, I'm seeing a pattern for turn based games here...
0 x
Proudly supporting Player Attack through Patreon

Battle.Net - MiniSanders#1895
uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord

Fireslide

Post by Fireslide » 11 Nov 2015, 11:25

Kingdom is cool! Though my fingers got sore holding left and right so much
0 x

NotThatDoug

Post by NotThatDoug » 11 Nov 2015, 14:58

Mini wrote:
Nacimota wrote:I'm really enjoying Divinity: Original Sin. It's got a lot of character. It's also a little harder than I was expecting but once you get used to it it's great. I love the tactics of turn-based games; it's a wonder I don't play them more often.
I really need to get back into this... I finished the first area and had something else to go onto... and then never got back to it...
But Shadowrun needs to be finished first, and then XCom... hmm, I'm seeing a pattern for turn based games here...
My pile of shame is largely CRPGs, Wasteland, Divinity, Shadowrun, Shadowrun Hong Kong, haven't bought Pillars of Eternity because I know it'll just end up there as well.

Play around with the windows 10 Beta version of Minecraft to see whats different because my partner wants to start playing again and I figured I may as well set up a local server for us to play together on so I'm not always in Fallout, although she might regret that decision when she remember all the bad words I taught to the villagers in her Animal Crossing 3DS town whenever they asked me to come up with a new greeting/catchphrase for them. Nintnedo have a pretty good profanity filter in place but I found some stuff. Think I'll go back to the normal version of Minecraft though.
0 x

Spooler

Post by Spooler » 11 Nov 2015, 16:57

Just finished legacy of the void, really happy with it was a great game, although alot of other people seem to think the opposite.

But personally most fun I've had in a game since bloodborne and the story left me pretty satisfied.
0 x

GamingKen

Post by GamingKen » 14 Nov 2015, 01:17

A couple of hours into Fallout New Vegas now and kinda loving that I have never known a damn thing about this game. I tried a little Fallout 3 before, but it didn't grab me for some reason and so I never pursued it further. Different story with this for some reason. Question though; it offered me hardcore mode at the start and as I have no idea of what Fallout games are like, or exactly what hardcore is in this game, I declined it. Is it a perma-death type hardcore, you die and you lose your save? I love having consequence to my actions and would love to enter this world further without knowing a single thing, with a perma-death type thing in place, but just how hard does hardcore make it (playing on normal difficulty)? I'm tempted to start again with hardcore mode, before I progress any further into the game.
0 x

AzzA82

Post by AzzA82 » 14 Nov 2015, 01:40

Just about finished Shadowrun returns, Can't believe it didn't buy this earlier , its become my surface pro time waster awesome game stacks of workshop content.
Anyone recommend some good quality ones i'll check them out after I get thru dragon fall.
Picked up divinity as well, was waiting for controller support for in home streaming.
They did a great job of bringing that game style to controllers , made a really good couch game.
0 x

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 14 Nov 2015, 14:46

At work on my day off, again, trying to stay on top of my workload. So while I listen to calls, have a wall of Mellie :D

Unsurprisingly, I also have a lot of games on the go.

Divinity on Xbox One is a faithful recreation and works somewhat okay with controls (it isn't intuitive but then, could a game like this ever be?) and they still haven't improved how party inventory is handled.

Xbox 360 backwards compatibility has launched so I've got a stack of 360 games installed now. and because they're so tiny I can fit heaps of them in. GRAW and Rainbow 6 were first off the block followed by the still-excellent Shadow Complex (which, if you have an xbox and haven't played, you really should... early Nolan North, Metroid style gameplay and magnificent artwork).

The conversation above around Elite has me somewhat interested to head back in on my Xbox copy (for which I got the Elite controller for in the first place) but it's just such a big, dull, beautiful empty space that I don't know what to do in it. There aren't any players in my arm of the spiral so it's just... boring. Planets could make that a lot better though, I suppose.

Speaking of planets, Space Engineers has just released the planets update! I'd tell you about it, but the game crashed twice when I tried to launch the new 'Earth - Easy Start'.

Also, oh my lord why did I never know that The Incredible Van Helsing 2 actually got so awesome after the first, stupid level. I played the first VH and got really bored of rambling around a forest, then I got 2 hoping it would be better but it too starts with a boring, unstoried first level. After reading a recent Kotaku article about the series, I relaunched, completed that first level and BAM it got interesting. Now I have an underground lair and from it I can hire troops and generals to do side missions (like the assassin's missions from the Creed series or the side missions in MGS V/Peacewalker), I can craft new weapons and tools or I can play the ludicrously enjoyable tower defense game... or I can do the campaign. There's just so much content that isn't at all advertised in anyway until you play through to it. The latest VH game has released; called 'Final Cut' it is actually all three VH games rolled up into a single game with increased levels and shiny new HD textures. The devs offered it free to anyone who owned the trilogy and said they'd talk to Valve about those who own one or two games and want to buy the rest to get Final Cut free. I didn't even know VH3 had been released, so I'm waiting to hear what happens before trying to get on this latest one. As much as there's more hours of gameplay there than I have to give, I like the idea of a single character and singleplaythrough of the story (which, incidentally, I enjoy more than Diablo 3's by a long shot).

Black Ops 3... I am so, so impressed by this. And this from someone who buys the series every year but hasn't felt satisfied since the campaign of MW2 and the multi of MW3. The campaign is good, really good (not great) because it does something interesting with the tired old formula. The use of VR lets them do some interesting scenes and the introduction of robots and some new toys, as well as more than one path to the end (think of it as extra tunnels, not an open space) means it's interesting to play through. The multi is the shining jewel with just the right mix of movement abilities and the usual smooth combat. Levels are as overcluttered as always (I far prefer the cleaner lines of the battlefield series) and remain anti-symmetrical and still no angle is safe... but they're larger with varied levels and underwater sections... I tend to find my favourite pathway and just dominate it as hard as I can which works for most rounds. Oh, Zombies, yeah, I finally like this mode but oh my god do you need a group that communicates if you want to survive even the first wave.

Witcher 3. I grabbed Heart of Stone. Why, I don't know, I've only just met back up with Yen on Skellige so I'm a million miles away from getting near any DLC.. but I really want to spend more time here. I think I get frustrated because I don't slow down to read my Bestiary and then get frustrated by the mini-boss monsters; like Jenny of the Woods who was level 6 yet utterly dominated me as level 10 until I finally applied the right mix of potions and powers.

MGS V / Peacewalker - I really should finish these. I'm only up to mission 18 in MGSV and there's like 35 or more of the bastards. PW will have to wait until it hits backwards compat.

Fallout 4 has moments where I feel transported. I remember my feelings in FO3 when I left the vault, that wondrous sensation of being in a new world.. and that same feeling has largely been missing from FO4. I had zero expectations so it's not that I'm let down, but maybe, like so many other sequels, the world has moved on and there are so many cool games to play now that games like FO3 (and BF2 and other games I feel nostalgic about) were they released today, wouldn't have the impact that they did. Still, some positive changes (like OMG I CAN SEARCH THE INVENTORY OF STUFF SO EASILY WHY WAS THIS NEVER A THING BEFORE) means I'm happy to move about, but base-building (and even assigning people to gardens how the fuck do I do that) and fixing the power armour (again, HOW) really turn me off. I also look at how closely my building areas are on the map and figure if that extrapolates across the entire play space that's WAY too many bases to build and defend.

Halo 5 sucks. I just can't get into it. Warzone is amazing, it's the campaign I'm talking about. After playing back to back with Blops 3, H5 is just endless wide corridors with enemies plonked down like walls that you need to knock down before proceeding. Not saying that Blops is in any way revolutionary, but at least it gives a sensation of being organic. Add to that that I don't really get the whole Locke/Chief thing and don't really give a shit what's going on, and this one has been a surprising bust for me. Might have to go back and unlock some of the 6,000 gamerscore available in the Master Chief Collection instead.

The best thing in my life right now, gaming wise, is the TV I now have downstairs for my Xbox. My wife and bubbas went to her Mum's place for a week so I brought it downstairs and it's stayed there since (wasn't being used in the toy room). So being able to play XO on a TV as opposed to my monitor is a massive difference. Visually on the monitor, stuff looked shit compared to the same game playing on PC one monitor over. But on the TV all that scrappiness fades away, lines are smoothed out and textures brightened. So now I have my computer on my left and swivel to my right for the TV.
0 x

Matty

Post by Matty » 14 Nov 2015, 18:25

Mearehear wrote:A couple of hours into Fallout New Vegas now and kinda loving that I have never known a damn thing about this game. I tried a little Fallout 3 before, but it didn't grab me for some reason and so I never pursued it further. Different story with this for some reason. Question though; it offered me hardcore mode at the start and as I have no idea of what Fallout games are like, or exactly what hardcore is in this game, I declined it. Is it a perma-death type hardcore, you die and you lose your save? I love having consequence to my actions and would love to enter this world further without knowing a single thing, with a perma-death type thing in place, but just how hard does hardcore make it (playing on normal difficulty)? I'm tempted to start again with hardcore mode, before I progress any further into the game.
It's stuff like ammo has weight, you need to sleep and eat and keep hydrated. You can only use certain things to get health back (no pulling a skyrim and eating 50 Crams while paused) and only certain items repair limbs, which you can craft. It was such an awesome feature and I'm really disappointed it's not in FO4. There is a "Survival" mode in FO4 but all it seems to do is take you longer to heal and up the damage done by enemies while reducing yours.
0 x

GamingKen

Post by GamingKen » 14 Nov 2015, 18:31

Interesting! That sounds like something I would like to do. I think I might restart, now that I understand the game a little better anyway, and play it that way right from the beginning. Thanks!
0 x

GamingKen

Post by GamingKen » 14 Nov 2015, 19:48

Looks like Rocket League might be coming to more platforms (Xbox One) by the end of the year. Hopefully that means even more cross platform fun.
0 x

Anon. E. Moose

Post by Anon. E. Moose » 15 Nov 2015, 10:30

DarkMellie wrote:The conversation above around Elite has me somewhat interested to head back in on my Xbox copy (for which I got the Elite controller for in the first place) but it's just such a big, dull, beautiful empty space that I don't know what to do in it. There aren't any players in my arm of the spiral so it's just... boring. Planets could make that a lot better though, I suppose.
You should follow the Community Goals around week by week, you'll find lots of players and will have no trouble finding a wing to cruise with.
I think this week's CG is in the Kaushpoos System and is a follow-up to the station building CG in the same system a couple of weeks ago, which pilots managed to complete (Meaning a new space station will appear in Kaushpoos in the near future.) This weeks CG involves delivering computer components to, or collecting bounties in Neville Horizons. I took part in last week's civil war CG, made it to the top 5% of pilots and walked away with a sweet 15mil cr.
0 x

Venom

Post by Venom » 15 Nov 2015, 10:49

DarkMellie wrote:Fallout 4 has moments where I feel transported. I remember my feelings in FO3 when I left the vault, that wondrous sensation of being in a new world.. and that same feeling has largely been missing from FO4. I had zero expectations so it's not that I'm let down, but maybe, like so many other sequels, the world has moved on and there are so many cool games to play now that games like FO3 (and BF2 and other games I feel nostalgic about) were they released today, wouldn't have the impact that they did. Still, some positive changes (like OMG I CAN SEARCH THE INVENTORY OF STUFF SO EASILY WHY WAS THIS NEVER A THING BEFORE) means I'm happy to move about, but base-building (and even assigning people to gardens how the fuck do I do that) and fixing the power armour (again, HOW) really turn me off. I also look at how closely my building areas are on the map and figure if that extrapolates across the entire play space that's WAY too many bases to build and defend.

Entirely agree on all of this. Power armour was awesome the first time you used it, then never explained how you repair it and then its just a very slow, high maintenance armour so you might as well stick with anything else haha. Also I too am not the base building type so I have basically ignored it but its still there, waiting for me to do something with it. The main story is pretty awful and half the companions are entirely one dimensional. The dog is useless. I love the blowout type weather though; hat was cool until i realized unless your in another zone entirely you can't just take shelter in a building from it. One last complaint is that it feels like a sequel to Fallout 3 not New Vegas as in some of the cooler mechanics from NV (Like hardcore mode and the companion wheel) are missing.
0 x
Previously Instinx from GON!

Sathias

Post by Sathias » 15 Nov 2015, 16:04

Yeah it badly needs hardcore mode. It would make the building of water and food resources mean so much more.
0 x
"Put the damn gun down, boy. It aint no toy." - Lite

Matty

Post by Matty » 15 Nov 2015, 16:20

Survival mode is really lame. It's just bullet sponge mode :(. Seems everyone wants a proper hardcore mode so I reckon it will be one of the first mods.
0 x

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 15 Nov 2015, 17:24

Oh look, Guitar Heo Live is on iOS... hmm, comes with two trial songs and here, lemme check the in-app purchases while I download it...

"Unlock Full Digital Game - $79.99"

Ahahahahahahahahahaha no.

No.
0 x