Australian Parliamentarians a nest of dual citizenries

Mythor

Re: Australian Parliamentarians a nest of dual citizenries

Post by Mythor » 01 Nov 2017, 18:08

Feel like there should be some kind of charges laid against Parry, contempt of Parliament or something. He's had more than enough time to both look into this and step forward. What a git.
0 x
"Me ate truck once." - Cookie Monster
Player Attack! - Diablo 3 Clan Details

Sathias

Post by Sathias » 02 Nov 2017, 07:28

What gets me is if I want to work on any Federal IT projects, for many of them I will need NV1 security classification, or in some cases even NV2. The amount of scrutiny that goes into NV2 is insane, as far as I have been told by colleagues. They will delve into parts of your life, including personal life, far beyond what countries you have possible allegiances to. However that is definitely one part they go into, because staff from certain countries, such as China, cannot get that classification in case they are an agent of that country. Yet Barnaby Joyce, one of the most senior politicians in the country and who sits on our equivalent of our national security council, and who is privy to extremely sensitive information, apparently does not.
0 x
"Put the damn gun down, boy. It aint no toy." - Lite

Sathias

Post by Sathias » 02 Nov 2017, 19:14

The clusterfuck just gets more clusterfucky
The COMMUNICATIONS MINISTER found out weeks ago and didn't bother to communicate the message to his leader, the previous comms minister :lol:
0 x

Mythor

Post by Mythor » 02 Nov 2017, 22:39

Apparently another minister told him to keep quiet about it, expecting Barnaby would be fine? Knew he couldn't possibly have only just now looked into it.
0 x

Sathias

Post by Sathias » 03 Nov 2017, 07:26

How the fuck did the Australian government start getting such poor legal advice? Oh that's right, they fired their Solicitor General who was right about the citizenship thing all along :D
0 x

storm84

Post by storm84 » 03 Nov 2017, 10:17

Got to feel sorry for Turnbull at this stage. Elements of the Liberal party are really self-serving (they did put Abbott in charge, after all) and any veneer of respectability Turnbull brings to the top job is undermined by childish political antics.
0 x

Mythor

Post by Mythor » 03 Nov 2017, 13:47

Josh Frydenberg's a dual citizen by descent as well. http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-11-03/m ... ip/9113982

Feel a little sorry for him as it's via his mother, who fled the Holocaust, but I think it's well established now that citizenship by descent has to have been renounced. So by rights he should be out as well.
0 x

storm84

Post by storm84 » 03 Nov 2017, 14:00

Surely the stateless nature of his mother will protect him. It would be as unfair as Xernophon's "dual" citizenship.
0 x

Mythor

Post by Mythor » 03 Nov 2017, 15:03

Might depend whether Hungary declared her no longer a citizen or whether she simply listed herself stateless. Another thing the High Court should have been looking at perhaps, instead of it being swept under the carpet.
0 x

Mythor

Post by Mythor » 06 Nov 2017, 17:35

MP John Alexander's Dad Gilbert was born in the UK and may thus have conferred citizenship by descent: http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/ ... zflz6.html

This will be another government MP ruled ineligible and requiring a by-election, and this one is a fight Labor could stand a chance of winning.

It's on!
0 x

brimlad

Post by brimlad » 06 Nov 2017, 19:01

it might be easier to deem them all ineligible and start again... december 2 general election... anyone lol

and we are getting to the tipping point where an audit might be needed, especially given the lack of transparency and honesty from the libs.
0 x

Sathias

Post by Sathias » 06 Nov 2017, 22:03

Mythor wrote:
06 Nov 2017, 17:35
MP John Alexander's Dad Gilbert was born in the UK and may thus have conferred citizenship by descent: http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/ ... zflz6.html

This will be another government MP ruled ineligible and requiring a by-election, and this one is a fight Labor could stand a chance of winning.

It's on!
That's just fucking careless, everyone with half a brain knows if you have a UK parent, you have dual citizenship. Obviously the Liberal's screening procedures are no better than the Nationals. And being that Alexander was a very high profile candidate, you have to wonder if Maxine McKew would have lost against a no-namer?
brimlad wrote:
06 Nov 2017, 19:01
it might be easier to deem them all ineligible and start again... december 2 general election... anyone lol

and we are getting to the tipping point where an audit might be needed, especially given the lack of transparency and honesty from the libs.
Fuck it, lets have another double dissolution :lol:
0 x

Mythor

Post by Mythor » 06 Nov 2017, 23:52

It's a particularly bad look for the Liberals who had declared earlier in the day they were free of any other concerns. Even if you don't really care that dual citizens are in Parliament, the lying about it is surely inexcusable?
0 x

brimlad

Post by brimlad » 11 Nov 2017, 12:58

and another one bites the dust, going to be an interesting few weeks of politics :)
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-11-11/j ... ns/9138814
0 x

Mythor

Post by Mythor » 22 Nov 2017, 12:44

NXT Senator for South Australia Skye Kakoschke-Moore resigning today due to British citizenship. http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-11-22/s ... ns/9179502

How is this still a thing?!
0 x

storm84

Post by storm84 » 22 Nov 2017, 12:48

Bwahahahahaha

This is funnier than a Bob Katter press conference!
0 x

brimlad

Post by brimlad » 22 Nov 2017, 13:09

December 4 and we'll see another 10 or 12 thrown onto the funeral pyre...

general election Feb 3 2018 and another 9 week campaign to enjoy over the summer... the only way forward :(

and why because they are lazy and carry a sense of entitlement, but it's their summer not mine that will be ruined hahahhaha !
0 x

Sathias

Post by Sathias » 22 Nov 2017, 14:05

Mythor wrote:
22 Nov 2017, 12:44
NXT Senator for South Australia Skye Kakoschke-Moore resigning today due to British citizenship. http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-11-22/s ... ns/9179502

How is this still a thing?!
What a fucking mess

If Nick needs a new Senator I can guarantee I'm not a dual citizen :lol:
0 x

storm84

Post by storm84 » 22 Nov 2017, 14:30

brimlad wrote:
22 Nov 2017, 13:09
general election Feb 3 2018 and another 9 week campaign to enjoy over the summer... the only way forward :(
Any election would be the sensible thing to do, but the parliament has been in BAU mode for the last 16 months and no party has started towards any election pitch, so I doubt it'll happen.

Muy guys is Turnbull will get rolled, Dutton will be PM, and our democracy will continue to stutter along until the election is finallly called in early 2019.
0 x

brimlad

Post by brimlad » 22 Nov 2017, 14:45

Peter Dutton will never be PM, Scotty or Julie perhaps; if they roll another PM they will fail; Mal maybe they can scrape back into power, definitely pushing it up hill with 2 straws.

poor folks in Bennelong and New England 2 in 2 months
0 x

storm84

Post by storm84 » 22 Nov 2017, 15:19

Here's hoping that's the case. My thinking is the libs will shift to a far-right leader, rather than another party centrist. Abbott is out (thankfully), so it's hard to see who other than Dutton has the capability of leadership.
0 x

n1cholas

Post by n1cholas » 22 Nov 2017, 15:22

brimlad wrote:
22 Nov 2017, 14:45
Peter Dutton will never be PM, Scotty or Julie perhaps; if they roll another PM they will fail; Mal maybe they can scrape back into power, definitely pushing it up hill with 2 straws.
If the LNP attempt to change leaders and a conservative isn't the replacement leader or deputy leader it wouldn't surprise me if conservatives help necessitate an early election and the loss of government.

I would find the whole situation comical if it weren't for the fact that the 2010's will be remembered as the forgotten decade where not much worthwhile was achieved while dud policies like the MTM blew the country's finances and crippled its future.

As the son of a small business owner I chuckle when the LNP trout out their self funding tax cut BS, any one in business knows it is complete and utter crap.
0 x

Sathias

Post by Sathias » 22 Nov 2017, 15:41

storm84 wrote:
22 Nov 2017, 15:19
Here's hoping that's the case. My thinking is the libs will shift to a far-right leader, rather than another party centrist. Abbott is out (thankfully), so it's hard to see who other than Dutton has the capability of leadership.
Crikey have long pushed that if anyone could lead the Liberal party out of this mess, one possibility could be Mathias Cormann and I can see their point. He has long been considered a dependable minister and for the most part has been pretty uncontroversial unlike Dutton or Abbott. Conservatives would be okay with it too. The points they raised were
He’s disciplined. Boy, is he disciplined. He could stay on message underwater. Cormann sticks to the plan, no matter what — something very few of his colleagues seem capable of doing.

He’s hard-working and competent. He’s been the human Scrabble blank of the Coalition, repeatedly filling in for other ministers and especially the role of Special Minister of State while doing his day job of Finance Minister — even now, while Scott Ryan is laid up, Cormann is filling in for him as SMOS.

He’s run a central portfolio for four years without incident. Sure, Finance is not a frontline portfolio in terms of public consciousness, but it’s crucial to the effective functioning of any government and requires the Minister for Finance to be across and involved in numerous other portfolios, especially given the now common practice of the Minister for Finance being joint or sole shareholder minister in government businesses. He’s also the budget guru of the government — he’s done four of them.

He’s already part of the leadership team — as deputy leader of the Senate, Cormann is the heir-apparent when George Brandis finally gets punted, and in fact is better regarded by other parties in the Senate than the Attorney-General.

He’s conservative but has a good political antenna. Cormann is the one who two weeks ago declared “I don’t believe that Bill Shorten is a dual citizen. I’m not going to give public advice to members of other parties as to how they should handle this.” The government would have been wise to stick with Cormann’s approach, but has now created a mess for itself with Bill Shorten producing his documents at the demand of the Prime Minister. Cormann has good political judgement — albeit not perfect, but then who does?

He’s masterminded the most successful privatisation of recent decades, that of Medibank Private, at a time when privatisation was deeply unpopular.

He’s a symbol of the success of Australian multiculturalism: a migrant from the German-speaking part of Belgium who survived a year at the University of East Anglia (go there and you’ll see what a feat that is), who moved to Australia as an adult to start a new life. What better prime minister for a country where more than half the population are from overseas or have a parent born overseas?
https://www.crikey.com.au/2017/09/05/se ... -minister/
0 x

storm84

Post by storm84 » 22 Nov 2017, 15:57

Crikey makes a good point, but then again you're talking about the party that thought Abbott was the best choice they had.
0 x

brimlad

Post by brimlad » 25 Nov 2017, 07:25

Mathias is by far their best performer, similar to Beazley, but he is a senator so would have to find a rep seat so perhaps next election. though he probably won't survive Dec 4 !

the political donations is the sleeping giant and looks set to get more oxygen this week...
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-11-25/c ... ty/9192508
0 x