No Man's Sky

A place for all the city-builders, world-creators, transport managers, block-arrangers and intergalactic explorers.
Sathias

Re: No Man's Sky

Post by Sathias » 17 Aug 2016, 10:30

Some people have way too much time on their hands.
0 x
"Put the damn gun down, boy. It aint no toy." - Lite

linxus

Post by linxus » 17 Aug 2016, 10:48

It makes for a compelling argument though. I think I'll bump this one down my wishlist for the time being.
0 x
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197975825451]Image[/url]

boars

Post by boars » 17 Aug 2016, 10:53

I'm glad someone has the time to fact check so I don't have to. The marketing of this game had felt a little off to me... It's nice one doesn't have to buy it to find out just how much marketing spin there is.
0 x

Matty

Post by Matty » 17 Aug 2016, 10:56

Sathias wrote:Some people have way too much time on their hands.
Some people say that about people who play video games.
0 x
Matter of fact, I didn't even give you my coat!

Sathias

Re: RE: Re: No Man's Sky

Post by Sathias » 17 Aug 2016, 11:12

Matty wrote:
Sathias wrote:Some people have way too much time on their hands.
Some people say that about people who play video games.
Hah fair point... Although playing games is fun, making intricate lists of complaints about games isn't... Well, to me it's not.
0 x

Sathias

Post by Sathias » 17 Aug 2016, 11:32

boars wrote:I'm glad someone has the time to fact check so I don't have to. The marketing of this game had felt a little off to me... It's nice one doesn't have to buy it to find out just how much marketing spin there is.
The funny thing is I completely ignored the hype, I knew it was a game that other people were getting hyped about but I didn't pay a lot of attention to it. One of my mates was really looking forward to it. I ended up buying it on a whim because so many other people were playing it and I wanted something new to play, and as a result I'm really enjoying it and my mate is a bit disappointed. Marketing can certainly be a double-edged sword when a game doesn't live up to the the hype, but if you can take it as aside from the hype, it is an impressive piece of software. And I think it's a bit of a shame it's getting such a backlash because game devs should be encouraged to aim high, and try something different IMO. If it wasn't for devs trying to make games like NMS we would just have constant genre clones and yearly updates.
0 x

kharis

Post by kharis » 17 Aug 2016, 11:45

Yeah ignoring hype is the way to go, to me this game is bascially minecraft in space and i'm happy with that :D this game is nice and relaxing, and you can actually do whatever you want, having fun working out stuff and looking for upgrade slots

if people were looking for the star citizen experience then they can wait another 10 or so years until that is released and whinge about that.
0 x

boars

Post by boars » 17 Aug 2016, 11:45

:wink: I hear what you're saying but I also see they're still promoting the game with "gameplay" videos that contain things that aren't in the game.

That's not aiming high, that is bullshitting your customers

Never directly answering a question in an interview is something I expect from politics not gaming developers... Unless of course it's D.erek S.mart. But in Derek's defence he's not really a developer anymore so much as a one man hate machine pumping out blogs and tweets, not code.

I still recognise there is a funky game, if a little lacking in certain areas... But I am just a bit disappointed in them from a marketing point of view. I'll give them time to address the issues before writing them off completely as intentionally misleading people.
0 x

Mythor

Post by Mythor » 17 Aug 2016, 13:04

"I haven't seen it so it mustn't be in the game" is pretty poor reasoning. Whole list seems kind of nitpicky. Not particularly bothered, will be continuing the hunt for my v2 and v3 Atlas Passes later today and seeing some weird planets along the way. :)
0 x
"Me ate truck once." - Cookie Monster
Player Attack! - Diablo 3 Clan Details

kharis

Post by kharis » 17 Aug 2016, 13:21

The one thing i havent figured out yet is how to take screenshots in the gog version. Everything ive seen points to using the steam overlay. Might just add it as a non steam game and do that too...

And yeah the marketing probably wasnt great but alot of it has been people taking a quote and nitpicking it. I'm sure things will be added and fixed as time goes on. I think sean needs a nice nap beforw he talks to anyone else
0 x

boars

Post by boars » 17 Aug 2016, 13:43

Judging by the craziness of the community around the game, I think he needs a lonnnng holiday.

Death threats over video games is beyond absurd.

I might disagree with a few things but ultimately it just means I think it's not worth 60usd at present, I'm not going to wage a war.

of course your mileage may vary depending on expectations or lack there of, if you're enjoying it, glad to hear it.
0 x

kharis

Post by kharis » 17 Aug 2016, 14:35

yeah that's why i try and steer clear of stuff like that. reddit is always fun though

back to it, there are mods :) http://nomansskymods.com/
0 x

NoobyMcNoobnoob

Post by NoobyMcNoobnoob » 17 Aug 2016, 15:22

Mythor wrote:"I haven't seen it so it mustn't be in the game" is pretty poor reasoning. Whole list seems kind of nitpicky. Not particularly bothered, will be continuing the hunt for my v2 and v3 Atlas Passes later today and seeing some weird planets along the way. :)
please please please, make a note if you find the v2 and v3, ive tryed grinding korvax gek, and vykree worlds manufacturing facilities for them for a while, must have about every other blueprint in the game except for them. any hints, i all heard is most people got the v2 from korvax worlds.

anyway got my 48 backpack and 24 multi-tool, soon as i find a planet i can reliably make ship parts on ill start getting my ship level from my current 18 slotter to the 48.
0 x

Mythor

Post by Mythor » 17 Aug 2016, 16:23

99% of the blueprints I get now are duplicates, no idea what else to try. Did just find a new one for another valuable rock I'll never craft unless a blueprint requires it though. If you could craft multiple and they'd stack, that'd be different! :(

Have my 48 slot backpack and 24 multi-tool as well. My ship has 28 slots but I'm sticking with that for now because I have all the warp engine upgrades on it and I don't want to either repair or craft them again. :D
0 x

boars

Post by boars » 17 Aug 2016, 20:33

Interestingly after 20 reddit gold and nearly 5k upvotes that reddit thread (well the main post in it) is now deleted and no longer stickied... odd.
but nothing on the internet ever dies eh, ressurected on r/games and already back to nearly 5k upvotes again:
https://m.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/4 ... _big_list/

Edit: just had a thought: it's kind of ironic that the choice to delete it now results in even more people actually seeing said list.

Anyway enough mumbling about things - it' cool to see that modders are fixing some of the annoying console like interface decisions for pc players.
Will be really interesting to see what sort of mods come out and are possible.
Just as interesting will be seeing if the devs think some go too far and start locking some stuff down.

I mean isn't this all in an online environment? The idea of a trainer mod seems something more suited to single player games rather than online for instance. Unless I'm mistaken and there's also an offline mode?
0 x

Mekon

Post by Mekon » 18 Aug 2016, 11:26

Been playing a fair bit of NMS... perhaps against my better judgement? :)

I like survival/crafting games. I also like exploration games, but NMS (despite the marketing) doesn't work in that regard for me - everything looks/behaves the same after a very short time. So it's really all about collecting mats and blueprints, crafting, upgrading ship/multi-tool, rinse repeat. Which is fine, the game has enough of a hook to keep me going so far (16 or so hours in).

But I'm starting to come across what feels like cardinal game design sins, the worst of which is the destruction of dropped items. For a game that somewhat revolves around scarcity of the rarer items/materials, it's a boneheaded flaw, IMO.

Last night/this morning's experience:

So I'm at the point of needing the Warp Drive Sigma upgrade to get to the next system (just that little bit too far for the stock warp drive). Cruise around a planet hitting up all the locations, hoping to find the blueprint. I'm up to 90% explored (yet to fully complete a planet, tbh), finally find a Settler's Outpost and randomly find exactly what I'm looking for. Yay, endorphins! Needs iridium and copper, no worries - been finding plenty of that in asteroids. Space-time. Hmm, getting heaps of iridium, but no copper... just rock after rock of nickel. Odd.

Warp to previous system, same deal. *shrug* Planetside it is, lets go looking for one of those "floating" copper mountains (not sure what the logic is there, but anyway). Flying around in my somewhat cramped ship, on the lookout, and happen across a crashed ship. I've been needing an upgrade anyway and haven't wanted to pay the extortionate prices from the NPCs in space stations, lets check it out.

It's pretty beat up (it is a derelict after all), but looks fixable - I'm pretty flush with resources, all good. Count up my required slots vs what is free in the wreck - I'm one slot over (the new ship has a large number of installed subsystems, some of which will have to go to make room for my loots). Unfortunately you can't breakdown ship systems until after you changeover (odd design choice really, would make for a better story if you could salvage from wrecks, but moving on). What is the least valuable/important stack in my current hold? I have a paltry stack of 30 Zinc. Disposed. A decision that will come back to bite me in the arse...

Transfer over the contents of my ship, breakdown all the weapons/drive modules on the last ship and changeover. That nice shiny wreck is now my new ship. Start on the repairs, it's all going well until I get to the Pulse Drive. Oh, I need 20 Zinc. No worries, one of the broken modules will give me that, can chuck a new one in later. Dismantle it... only to realise my second mistake: I didn't have a spare slot for the resulting zinc. So it disappears into the ether. Poof.

So here I am, on a hostile planet, with a shiny new ship... humming warp drive, fully fueled launch engine, but a flaked out pulse drive. Apparently it won't let me launch without a working engine. Doh. Oh well, zinc isn't that uncommon, should find some around somewhere close. Hah.

*30 minutes later, after a long trek on foot across a deserted planet* Randomly, there's a Galactic Trade Terminal lying in a valley and... praise the sun, there's some zinc available! Long way back... simple repair and we're spaceworthy again.

Was it "fun"? Not really.

Now the above would make for a good emergent story in most situations, except for the fact that it was engendered by an unexplainable out-of-character game design decision. Even Minecraft has enough sense to drop discarded items on the ground in the short term (despawning after a set period of time).

I want to like NMS. I can handle the broken "promises". I am disappointed that it all feels a bit shallow. But please don't impose inventory limits, forcing the player to juggle items and then add insult to injury by leaving out a way to "undo" inventory management decisions. That's just aggravating.

/rant over
0 x

boars

Post by boars » 18 Aug 2016, 18:56

Well at least this wasn't your ship?

https://imgur.com/gallery/xeKHfZv
0 x

NoobyMcNoobnoob

Post by NoobyMcNoobnoob » 18 Aug 2016, 19:31

hahahahahah, there's a clog in the exhaust ports.
0 x

Mekon

Post by Mekon » 18 Aug 2016, 20:39

lol :)
0 x

trb

Post by trb » 24 Aug 2016, 18:59

Potential spoilers regarding V2 and 3 pass and making money.
They are pretty much useless, I've never found anything worth opening those doors or crates for.
You never have the inventory to make opening crates worthwhile.
In fact you never have to leave space, space stations [you know, the ones that all look exactly the same no matter which race is in control of it.] since the easiest way to make money and get what you need is just to go into a station, look for the items on the trade console with the stars, write those down then go and wait for AI traders to coming selling those goods, buy as much as you can and go sell them, every sale gives you more buying power. can make millions easy. buy whatever you need for warp fuel.
But after a bit my friends and I decided to try and meet up only to discover there is no code at all int he game for any kind of online interaction.
With packet sniffing we can see that the game never communicates with any online service other than for discovery information.

I told GoG about it [and other missing features and how the PC version is internally rendering at something like 720p or 920p and then upscaling which makes it look like dogshit.] and they issued a refund immediately.
0 x

Mythor

Post by Mythor » 24 Aug 2016, 19:28

The AI traders never seem to carry enough stock of any of the resources to make that trading thing practical for me. Finding a planet with plentiful Sac Venom blobs on the surface made me a lot of money a lot more quickly!

Bit dodgy that players can't actually meet up yet, if it's not in they should have said so. Not sure anyone would have minded if it had come later.
0 x

trb

Post by trb » 24 Aug 2016, 19:36

Yeah it's the lack of honesty that really irks me.
I can deal with things not being perfect but the dev has to meet me half way and at least be honest and forthright about the problems or things that were cut .etc.

Thats why I can forgive any timeline slip on star citizen, so far I feel like they've been honest about it and not trying to deliberately hide things or be confusing.

re: the ai traders, I was averaging about $15mill an hour, 48 slot ship was about 100mil for me, I found one that was unique in my play-through, didn't see another like it.

Ending rant, spoiler;
The ending is the other massive kick in the teeth, they kept saying something special would happen at the centre of the galaxy but it doesn't, it just moves you to the next galaxy that looks just the same as the last, 28 galaxies later and it puts you back in the first one. nothing happens.
0 x

Matty

Post by Matty » 25 Aug 2016, 01:59

trb wrote: With packet sniffing we can see that the game never communicates
This was plastered across reddit a few hours after release cause Sean didn't factor in people actively trying to find each other into his probability equation. :dodgy:
0 x
Matter of fact, I didn't even give you my coat!

Mini

Post by Mini » 25 Jul 2018, 10:05

So with the new update, will anyone be having a look at the game again?
0 x
Proudly supporting Player Attack through Patreon

Battle.Net - MiniSanders#1895
uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord

Mythor

Post by Mythor » 25 Jul 2018, 10:28

I'm going to! If I can find a bunch of time. I originally played on PS4 and will be restarting from scratch on PC.
It's 50% off on Steam at the moment, if anyone was considering it but waiting for a cheaper price.

I mayyyyy do a re-review for PA as well.
0 x